The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: New Ganthar - fourth OOC thread

"A voice is heard from somewhere outside your field of vision; a strange voice, like two people speaking in unison, one normal, the other a sonorous, otherworldly sound that elicits thoughts of open graves and cold steel."

Yeah. Its a voice made up of two people speaking at once. The listen check allows us to recognise that it is two speakers and that Vaust is one of the voices, the other is unknown to us. They are however, still speaking in synch.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Good points in the IC, I hadn't thought about those implications...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

@Esorscher npc gear by level is fine. I was just going off the standard phb2 gear list in the appendix for quick character generation.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Question does that hat of disguise change everything about you...

If so make yourself look exactly like Rosalind walk up to the front door, they start laughing and attack, Bam in your face Yara blast XD

5. - Top - End - #35

That's kinda what I was considering. Figure out what they planned for Rosalind using a character likely to be unaffected.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect the "knights" we dont know about are a big part of it as they are immune to turning and positive energy if memory serves as well as those near them. Add in demons and such that are living that she cannot harm but can harm her and she is slowed down a great deal. Place a few glyphs to protect the temple as she did and Rosalind would be severely weakened if she made it inside the temple past its first glyph of warding.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Okay so a standard every day temple is going to have Hallow/Unhallow on its grounds constantly. After all if you have the money to make a temple you have the time and money to make sure it is fully dedicated to your god and serving you the best way possible. In our case this would mean off the bat the building is a constant Magic Circle against Good spell. Second all turn checks suffer -4 and all rebuke undead gain +4 Profane bonus. Third, and possibly most dangerous for a year after the spell is cast it gets a spell of dealers choice that is constantly in effect, dispel is a valid option so the moment someone steps foot inside that dose not meet the requirements bam it goes off.

Spoiler: List of spells that COULD be used for unhallow
    Show
    Protection from positive energy, Stone bones, Iron bones, life ward, Negative energy Aura, to name a few that would help our enemies but not outright be bad for us in an obvious way until it was to late.

Then there are spells like Wall of Dispel Magic where simply walking into the temple is going to weaken us and strip away our defenses, along with many other things. The more I think about this the more I don't like how evil our DM could be lol

8. - Top - End - #38

Ok. Should be simple getting past that as long as we don't just blunder in.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Yes with the operative word being blunder. We are surprisingly at our most capable right now and need to proceed with utmost caution.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I will post sometime tomorrow, just got done with game night at my house and need to get some sleep before going to work in the morning.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

No need to fret, we aren't in combat. Also we really do need to eventually use Rosalind as a human shield of sorts. We've been joking about it since Carbuncle street and I think it is still quite relevant and humorous. Imagine a legion of very angry orcs continuously breaking their spearhead over and over, and complaining about the quality of their blacksmith if they cannot stab an unarmed and unarmored lady.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I was dying of laughter reading your post honestly. Main problem is we dont fight hordes of mooks that would fail their save most of the time lol

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

I'm glad, I was hoping you wouldn't take offense given that your character was the butt off the joke.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Dont attack unless it is clear an intelligent undead passed its will save to see us. We are for all intents invisibile and only living creatures can actually see us with no save. Undead cant without passing a will dc 24 i believe

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

I can call Ardaionn and begin us with a flying head start. Or would you rather stay a little better hidden?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Well, I brought a construct with Energy Bolt (Lightning). Since I can't carry it, it can be a distraction.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Due to mass death ward symbol of death wont affect us, plus i think we are all over that hp total with Rosalind temp hp she gives. The symbol of insanity is another matter though.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I dont think you can with dimensional anchor in place meaning dispel is the best bet. However an area dispel wont work has to be targeted on the symbols

19. - Top - End - #49

So, area dispel to take out unhallow and anchor.
    If we want to use the door, additional dispel on insanity and apparently the death one can't harm us, so we just set it off.
    If we want to get in the roof, Energy Wall (Sonic) should drill out a section. Or Energy Wave (Sonic).
    Or, once dimension Anchor is down, teleport in.
    Any other suggestions?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

Will a standard dispel work on a level 8 spell? Or can the psionic version be augmented to make it more effective? Gunn has Greater Dispel but can only use it twice. This seems like a worthwhile time, however.

Also, if the mass death ward is dispelled, we’d then be subject to the symbol of death, which would suck.

My vote is still for the roof, though; the falling roof would potentially damage whoever’s inside and give us the element of surprise.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-07-26 at 09:20 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

It always has a chance, just not a very high one to dispel with a normal one. Through the roof we would be stuck inside with no way out unless we dispelled the unhallow/ dimensional anchor which then they would know we are here. Just not where given they would look at the front door

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn can cast an area dispel while Yara breaks down the roof?

Whatever we do, I’d like to cast Haste before we do it.

I’m traveling this weekend and posting from my phone.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-07-26 at 09:51 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

I'd rather we go through the door. I want the maximum chance of going undetected for as long as we can keep it.

In that regard, I vote area dispel.

When Gunn casts haste, I cast Mass Align Weapon, choosing Good.

Edit: what if we walked around the building to check for a different entrance? See if they vary their defensive tactics or not.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-07-26 at 10:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

No matter what we do dimensional anchor will be a problem. Also if the walls are so thick how did we scry inside?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: New Ganthar - fourth OOC thread

Charis powers, don't worry about it.

RE Dimensional anchor. We personally are limited to the same degree as our enemies. I do support dispelling, I'd also point out that if breaking in through the ceiling is an option, why wouldn't breaking out through a wall be on the table? It has hitpoints, we can kill it. If we collapse a significant portion at any time, it serves as an extra wound to our enemy

Because let's be real here, we've already fought a demon that tried that very tactic on us - the current site of Natalia's temple broke walls going after us. If they have one here, I propose Gunn dominate it and we wreck EVERYTHING as we ride out in style.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-07-26 at 02:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Going through the door means that we're still walking where they'd expect us to be. There's likely to be more traps and we'd be restricted by however they made the walls and furniture around the entrance. And quite possibly get detected right away.
    Blasting through the roof... I'm thinking of a maximised Energy Cone (Sonic), which ignores hardness. We'd have a large opening where they likely didn't trap, falling debris could damage enemies inside and we'd likely end up right over where we need to be. If we don't dispel dimension anchor, the enemy would have to be able to fly to reach us until we choose to enter. We could get in and out via flight, or teleportation if we dispel the dimension anchor. Or even through a wall if its easier. Through augmentation Yara can dimension door and dispel on the same turn, but we may want to dispel beforehand to get rid of unhallows protection against good.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I just looked at the spells again and we are in a way, in luck. It is Dimensional Lock, not Dimensional Anchor meaning so long as we do not try to leave the plane we are fine (or at least that is how it seems to read). Meaning we could DD in (if I am mistaken please correct me ilinares)

If we use Locate object mixed with blasting through the roof we could in theory jump right into the middle of the ritual and then all we need to do is kill the guy to stop it as everyone has pointed out most of the defenses will be placed on practical places like doors and windows. Who expects someone to blast through their roof like a bunch of savages. If I had to guess only those he felt were the most powerful would be inside with him to defend him if anyone made it that far (and as they are expecting Rosalind only they are not expecting much) meaning this plan could really work. Great thinking everyone.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

If we're going from the roof, do I have time to cast planar ally?? That would be a theoretical point of defense
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-07-26 at 08:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

How long is casting time given gunn just used haste? I mean i could summon lady amalthea and give her orders to attack that army until she was hurt then to return home thus yaras construct, theos eagle, and my unicorn could start carving away at the army vanishing back to their plane before they die.

30. - Top - End - #60

Looking it up, dimension lock does block dimension door. And Planar Ally takes 10 minutes so that uses up quite a lot of buff time.
    My construct going solo may be more effective. The more undead that bunch up on it, the more effective its energy bolt is. And it doesn't risk the animal companions taking large amounts of damage before they can actively disappear.