The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Ganthar - fourth OOC thread

Bastion of good is a magic circle against evil just better so in theory could keep out weaker summons from getting to us. Hoards of undead get turned to ash vs Rosalind, meaning priests are worst threat. I doubt they all have 9th level spells so it could shut down most of them meaning they become a backdrop so we can focus on knights, high priest, altar, and whatever random thing comes our way.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn's Black Tentacles will cover the whole interior of the church, including the Priest, and the three armored dudes (who will likely save).

I'm going to have Gunn Inspire Courage (+5 Morale Attack, Damage) last round, then Black Tentacles this round.

I vote for Rosalind to do the chain thing on the Priest, on the assumption that his high-level spells would be more threatening than the low-level spells that we would be protected against by the other spell. It would also make him easier to hit. Also, he's more likely to be able to dispel our buffs than the flunkies. Also, the flunkies might be grappled by the Black Tentacles.

Not sure what Perseus will do at this point--I'm tempted to have him go at the Priest first, then on the White Ravens Tactics round go for one of the three. It would mean Theo would not get flanking, but conceivably depending on the positions of Theo and the three dudes, Perseus might get flanking on that second charge.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

I'm less worried about Theo achieving a flanking position and more concerned with putting the maximum amount of damage on Vaust/Nagor before he gets his next action.

Will the black tentacles being everywhere affect how and where we attack our targets?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

From fighting death knights before we know about their abyssal blast. There are three of them we assume at the moment meaning a potential 60d6 damage when they go if we bunch together. So taking them out quickly is a good idea

Also rosalind has freedom of movement constant so she can move through the field of black tentacles
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-07-31 at 04:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

The tentacles are 10' long, so they do complicate things. I would suggest staying in the air (unless you are Rosalind) to avoid being grappled, but I don't even know if that would work. Let's think aloud for a moment.

We have three categories of enemies in the building:
    1) Priests (lower level than us, probably mid-level)
    2) Vaust and his buddies
    3) The High Priest

What can we do about the Priests?
    a) Black Tentacles, force them to stop the ritual and deal with being grappled, potentially taking them out of combat altogether.
    b) AoE damage spells.
    c) The Mysterious Powers of Rosalind

What can we do about Vaust and his buddies?
    a) Fight them on their turf
    b) Lure them out onto the rooftop? Maybe Theo accepts the challenge, and beckons him outside? Once outside, we focus our efforts on him--and he no longer benefits from the unhallow effect.
    c) AoE damage spells.
    d) Single-target battlefield control spells like Ray of Dizziness

What can we do about the High Priest?
    a) TOTAL DOMINATION (unlikely to succeed)
    b) Single-target battlefield control spells like Ray of Dizziness
    c) Fight him on his turf
    d) Force him outside somehow

Looking at what Gunn is built to do, I think he's most effective at debuffing/ control. Domination isn't going to work against the undead (without using the Helm which shall not be used) and is unlikely to succeed against a high-level cleric and their wonderful will saves. That leaves Black Tentacles, which would affect all three of our categories of enemies to varying degrees; Ray of Dizziness, one enemy at a time; and Cloudkill, which wouldn't affect the undead enemies, and would probably not do much against anyone. He also has straight damage dealing spells (Force Missiles), and buffs (Targeting Ray).

Perseus can do one thing really well and that's it. He's at his most effective when he can charge. I'd love for him to take on the Priest, who I'm guessing won't be as effective in melee combat, and being in melee combat will hinder his ability to cast.

Manny, by rights shouldn't even be here, but he can help out a bit with AoE and Damage Dealing. If Theo doesn't accept the single combat challenge, Manny could soften up the Death Knights with a bit of Empowered Energy Burst, or some Split Empowered Energy Ray.

So, here's what I propose:

Rosalind chains the High Priest
    Gunn Black Tentacles the whole area.
    Theo accepts the Challenge for Single Combat, lures Vaust to the Rooftop, fights atop Ardaionn.
    Perseus Charges the High Priest, other Death Knights, etc.
    Yara plays the Wildcard
    Manny does AoE/ damage dealing as desired.

Thoughts?
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, I was hoping to save Ardaionn for what comes after the Plane of Shadows. We still have the potential of going after the essence of Dalvar and the Mountain of Bones. If you want to goad him out, we would be better served to attack from range so he tries to close distance. As for accepting his challenge, Theo isn't going to accept it and renege on it, and he isn't one to treat his enemy with the honor of ritual combat.

What if Manny and Yara focus spell attention on the ritual priests to disrupt and destroy that opportunity, while Gunn and Rosalind focus on single target spells like Ray of dizziness and chains on the death knights? I still believe that Vaust/Nagor would be the best target to take out first, and then we fan out to separate enemies and destroy them.

EDIT additional thought. We know they laid some sort of trap for us. I don't see Nagor coming on the roof to abandon that trap without an extreme condition.

I hadn't posted for my last round, so I can cast true strike for that standard action, go down and attack Vaust. But before I post my turn(s) I need Perseus to dive in so I can White Raven him.

DOUBLE EDIT - Idea, we have two main targets for combat, the high priest and Nagor. Can you spend the first round with a ray of dizziness on Nagor, and use black tentacles on the next one? If we lure them close to a corner, and you place black tentacles in the other, Perseus and I will have room to not be grappled. It is a 40 ft square room, black tentacles are a 20 foot radius with 10 foot reach. Manny uses energy attacks as needed, the ritual priests probably can't stop chanting, and Ryker is someone Rosalind can chain or Yara can probably wildcard into nonexistence
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-07-31 at 06:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

7. - Top - End - #97

Can't cast through the gate, so the first round is still going to be Inspiring Courage for +5/+5.

Second Round, Gunn will cast Targeting Ray on Nagor. That'll give us +11 (+12 including Haste) total on our attacks against Nagor.

Perseus will charge Nagor, then use the White Raven's Tactics to hit him again.

Manny will hit Nagor with an Energy Ray.

Rosalind should do the chain thing on the High Priest.

We'll go from there?
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-07-31 at 07:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

The gate is already gone, yara antimagiced it away for us to drop in

9. - Top - End - #99

Correct, but Gunn's "first round" actions get to be retaken, since I assumed the gate was gone. Those actions need to be taken under the condition the gate is still present (as it is at that time).

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds perfect to me. Please remember that Perseus' second set of attacks will have appropriate flanking bonuses (included a current 6 damage on each successful attack from my stance).
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

I had not included that. I will do so for confirming the crit. The additional +2d6 damage from Bane is not included, but I believe the +2 is. And, if Vaust is dropped before Perseus begins his second turn, he'll charge the High Priest, which I'll make new rolls for since it's too confusing to do otherwise.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

Potential Crit: (1d20+23)[43], (2d10+84)[101]

Exploding Crits?
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-07-31 at 07:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Also of note against undead his weapon is treated as having an extra +2 enhancment bonus and deals an extra 2d6 damage

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, Yara got past the gate via the psionic equivalent of a anti-magic field. Its still operational. The gate is supressed, but so is everything else.
    Basically, it should be fine to enter the room. You fall 10ish feet but once out of the field flight restarts. But Manny shouldn't be able to shoot through the field from outside.
    I'm going to have Yara carry Rosalind in and drop the field. That will restart the gate, but it will close next round when the priest stops concentrating. So, I think the only action interrupted by the field is Manny, who can't attack inside the room until the gate goes down.

Edit: Rereading, I think Gunn is also outside, so his actions probably need changing.
    Last edited by Timble; 2019-07-31 at 10:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Bummer, but Ok. Gunn is inside the building, then. I'll edit my post accordingly. It does reduce the bonus from Targeting Ray to +5.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-07-31 at 10:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Yeah. Anything with a duration cast outside the field will still work on the other side, if you pass through. You just can't target a spell through it. But, next turn everything should be clear. Because the priest will probably try to blast us.
    Last edited by Timble; 2019-07-31 at 10:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

And if he does he must pass a Con Check DC 15+SL or it fails, plus Yara last I checked had a ready dispel for when he casts a spell

Also spells that don't have to pass through the antimagic field should be fine, for example Rosalind's chain simply needs line of sight and then the chains spurt out of the ground, ceiling, pillars, other immovable objects and simply tie the person down so they literally cannot move. So unless the priest were to move into Yara's Antimagic field it would have no effect on her, but shooting through it I don't think you can (though a normal antimagic field I believe mentions something about doing just that)
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-07-31 at 11:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

I would have thought it would block line of effect.
    If it doesn't, Rosalind could just walk to the opposite side of the hole to be outside the field and her turn goes normally and Yara stays outside. If not, they'll have to go in.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.
    So if the priest was standing inside your amf or my chains had to go through it the spell in question wouldnt work. But as the chains do not pass through the amf but appear outside of it they would be uneffected by the spell vs say a fireball or energy ray that has to first pass through the amf to hit its target. Gunns black tentacles for instance dont pass through or into the amf and thus could be cast while his ray spell could not as it is being fired from one side and has to pass through it before hitting the target.

You could even summon a monster on the other side of the amf as it doesn't start within or pass through the area.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pausing the IC post there. Does Perseus survive to make his attacks on Nagor?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Since I'm on, I checked. After the fire blast, Esorscher listed that Perseus was at 132 HP, then entered a race, and Rosalind have a minor heal with +40 temporary hit points.

I'm also going to guess that Perseus has a fort save far exceeding +15 but I haven't checked
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-08-01 at 12:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Wait a second, and I hate to be a bother, but cometary collision says you cannot use this feat of you wouldn't be able to charge "due to terrain or other factors."

Since Nagor used a move action last turn to enter the room, he wouldn't be able to ready an action to charge (unless he entered last turn without us seeing).

Since Perseus is taking massive damage, I wanted to speak up to make sure it's all good.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Perseus ended up taking less damage from the Fire Blast thanks to Yara, and with the healing from Rosalind and Temp HP from Rosalind and Rage, he's at 217 HP before the Cometary Collision.

His fort save is +20. (1d20+20)[31]

So, yes, he survives.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-08-01 at 02:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    Wait a second, and I hate to be a bother, but cometary collision says you cannot use this feat of you wouldn't be able to charge "due to terrain or other factors."

Since Nagor used a move action last turn to enter the room, he wouldn't be able to ready an action to charge (unless he entered last turn without us seeing).

Since Perseus is taking massive damage, I wanted to speak up to make sure it's all good.
    ...Insert expletive of your choice here.

IC thread edited in part, will now go to bed and rethink things before tackling the rest tomorrow.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2019-08-01 at 04:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

There is a spell that i believe can do it.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

See, this is why I hate running combat encounters...!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

You could always just tell us how amazingly we pounded the guys and got shiny new things and levels lol

Also just did a double check and i was wrong so your post still stands dead death knight
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-08-01 at 04:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

It's no easy detail! I mess up combat scenarios left right and center in my IRL campaign.

As it were, I have a folder for my Red Plan (his is plan Ruby) for if Perseus goes rogue, and I'd be more than happy to share notes on how I would shut him down.

Plan Crimson is Gunn
    Plan Scarlett is Yara
    Plan Rouge is Rosalind
    Plan Rust is if Veil comes back as a surprise twist enemy
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

I'm honestly curious how Theo within his morale alignment would stop Rosalind

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    It's no easy detail! I mess up combat scenarios left right and center in my IRL campaign.

As it were, I have a folder for my Red Plan (his is plan Ruby) for if Perseus goes rogue, and I'd be more than happy to share notes on how I would shut him down.

Plan Crimson is Gunn
    Plan Scarlett is Yara
    Plan Rouge is Rosalind
    Plan Rust is if Veil comes back as a surprise twist enemy
    Whoa man, my boy just took care of your mortal enemy and this is how you show your gratitude? Come on!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair for a long time I had a plan to take out Yara if it came to that. Gunn is a different matter though as Rosalind has had a long standing connection with him up until recently where they have not seen eye to eye a lot. I have a few ideas on how to counter Gunn, but he could just as easily counter me.