The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New Ganthar - fourth OOC thread

I'm sorry, I had revivify last in-game day, but I switched it out for break enchantment for this mission. I thought that would be more useful.

We'll lay your body in state and see to your resurrection.

Just out of curiosity, what did this guy do to pump out 307 damage without charging?

Edit - had I used law devotion for my own AC instead of protection devotion for the burst, I'd have 2 more, so it was in theory possible. But I've honestly only used law devotion for the bonus to hit
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-08-05 at 10:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

We have all almost died once, except for gunn who has died. And going in i knew if theo died he was dead dead its why i used shield of faith. Pran in theory should be able to use the bones of saint Rosalind to bring her back to life. Or this could be the self sacrifice thing our wounderful dm told us about that would make rosalind a deathless martyr saint thing.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would Psicraft count: (1d20+18)[21]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Well I hope my death scene was touching to everyone, sadly wanting to stick with the fact it caught her off guard I didn't post her asking theo to find the prison, get Anthama, and return it to the Mother to help Charis because that would be metagamy

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe Gunn's telepathic access to her mind will allow him to also see those goals of hers? Very touching.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

It was a mighty fine post, Dantie. Very poetic.

It looks like I need Perseus to come slice and dice this death knight. I may have only connected with one attack
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

depends on how far he could see, I mean it wouldn't be at the front of her mind as this is legit the second time she has had to choose between herself and a friend and the gilt of letting gunn die the first time will be much closer to her frontal thoughts then her mission. But perhaps he catches her prayer, or partially and see's into what she was giving up by dying?

8. - Top - End - #158

Yep, I'm waiting on the results of the Spellcraft check to post. Team Gunn/Perseus/Manny's actions depend on how long we have before the altar explodes. But, time permitting, Gunn will likely Targeting Ray the Death Knight, which should give you an additional +6 to hit.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-08-05 at 10:10 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Altar being destroyed is good for us, finding the prison before it explodes and killing all the death knights is better lol. And I'm curious how the construct is holding up against that hoard of undead lol. I mean 120ft lines of electricity has to be cutting down all the low level things, making it a smaller army for those who were originally going to have to fight it.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

If it went Gunn -> Perseus -> Theo, and then Theo used White Raven Tactics to move Perseus behind himself in initiative to grant him a new turn, then the targeting ray would hit the death knights before Theo's turn in initiative.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    If it went Gunn -> Perseus -> Theo, and then Theo used White Raven Tactics to move Perseus behind himself in initiative to grant him a new turn, then the targeting ray would hit the death knights before Theo's turn in initiative.
    That’s what I’m picturing.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Theo has to recover from his near death experience after all lol

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    I'm sorry, I had revivify last in-game day, but I switched it out for break enchantment for this mission. I thought that would be more useful.

We'll lay your body in state and see to your resurrection.

Just out of curiosity, what did this guy do to pump out 307 damage without charging?

Edit - had I used law devotion for my own AC instead of protection devotion for the burst, I'd have 2 more, so it was in theory possible. But I've honestly only used law devotion for the bonus to hit
    Diamond nightmare blade plus two handed power attack for maximum damage.

14. - Top - End - #164

@ilinares, in case you missed it:

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Spellcraft for the ticking time bomb [roll0]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gunn judges that there is around a 60% chance the necromantic energy will explode into the temple within the next 30 seconds.

16. - Top - End - #166

And that second attack from Perseus is a potential crit: (1d20+35)[39], (2d10+88)[99]. Not sure if the extra 2 damage from Undead Bane is added, but if it is, add +4 to that damage roll (if it matters).

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

On that evil off chance I have to make a new character

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]

well ****e, I really hope I don't have to make a new character now...
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-08-06 at 06:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Those rolls are definitely not bad... above-average at worst. Isn't the elite array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8? Compared to 14, 14, 13, 12, 10, 9?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

I planned on making an unarmed swordsage/Shadow sun ninja....question about them, they get the damage of a monk, but do they actually get improved Unarmed Strike?

20. - Top - End - #170

As far as I know (and my Google-Fu has allowed me to learn), they don't by RAW, but swapping out Light Armor Proficiency for Improved Unarmed Strike is a generally accepted move. I've found this evidence to support that.

Of course, since we fully intend to resurrect Rosalind, this is all a theoretical discussion. Even if we can't use the Bones, we can use conventional means. Her trust surely can afford the necessary diamond component, or make a 12275gp donation to the Helping Hand with Gunn then paying for the scroll of Resurrection.

On the other hand, if you'd rather just play a new character (who would not be burdened by the same vows that have lead to inter-party conflict in the past), I'm sure we could all get behind that. Maybe the new Empress of Pacem has sent a more martial emissary to New Ganthar in hopes of securing their vassalage?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

I would much rather Rosalind be returned to life, however that could take a while...and sitting doing nothing is no fun, so why not build one of the people from the strike team sent to retrieve the bones of Saint Rosalind? A reformed person who was once a criminal in Pacem until they helped him. Because of that he uses his darkness to protect the light and while martial in aspect is more a monk with cool kung-fu moves and a few unique abilities.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You won't be sitting doing nothing Dantie. I'm still on reduced time to post (hence the very short IC post yesterday) but the plan is to let Rosalind spend some time on the other side of the veil.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Oh thank you for not having me use those abyssal rolls

24. - Top - End - #174

"abyssal"=above average

So, next steps.

1) Necrotic Energy explodes/ dissipates
    2) Loot what is left of the Temple (optional)
    3) Use Find the Path to find Melchizor's Prison
    4) Defeat whatever's around Melchizor's Prison using standard combat methods (low finite resources eg spells, high renewable resources eg Perseus and scrolls)
    5) Interrogate Melchizor
    6) Find the Anathema
    7) Defeat the Anathema's defenses (again, using renewable resources)
    8) Retrieve the Anathema
    9) Return to New Ganthar
    10) Resurrect Rosalind
    11) Individual things (For Gunn, this includes meeting with Torc)
    12) Meet with the Crown
    13) Mountain of Bones

Items 10-13 can be done in any order.

Thoughts?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt you have time for 6-8 before doing the mountain

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can't remember why we are doing another mission after this?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Deny our enemy their objective, and suspicion that it is the location of a mysterious figure known as The Daughter, some aspect of Charis that is key to the plot
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

We were told Dalvar's energy is unguard (basically) on another plane and can be claimed by anyone who has the power/relics to do so. The Mountain of bones to our knowledge is where the Daughter rests and we heard through Gunn's scrying that no matter if the ritual worked or not the Daughter would be back basically this day (thus why Ember, Pran, and a few others they could recruit were going to the temple of Bones). And going off of the assumption Pran and Ember are roughly the same level they are around level 10 (cleric and Paladin respectfully) along with a few fighters and possible extraction from the guardian of Maya who is close to our power level if they get in over their heads. We were going to the mountain of bones to stop the daughter from being woken up brought back, used against her will as she has the same power as Charis over the way between worlds.

1) Necrotic Energy explodes/ dissipates
    2) Loot what is left of the Temple (optional)
    3) Use Find the Path to find Melchizor's Prison
    4) Defeat whatever's around Melchizor's Prison using standard combat methods (low finite resources eg spells, high renewable resources eg Perseus and scrolls)
    5) Interrogate Melchizor
    6) Find the Anathema
    7) Defeat the Anathema's defenses (again, using renewable resources)
    8) Retrieve the Anathema

9) Return to New Ganthar
    10) Resurrect Rosalind
    11) Individual things (For Gunn, this includes meeting with Torc)
    12) Meet with the Crown

13) Mountain of Bones

Is what I would suggest though I understand why Gunn would want to get said information before Rosalind is alive.

29. - Top - End - #179

Why would we bother looking for Melchizor/ defeating whatever is guarding him if we aren't going to use him to find the Anathema? Also remember that is why Gunn came along this mission.

I have no intention of going to the Mountain of Bones without getting Gunn's rewards from the Crown.

And without meeting with Torc and finding out what that groups plans are to protect the world from Demonic Invasion, I don't know if Gunn is on the same side as Rosalind, anyway.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Why would we bother looking for Melchizor/ defeating whatever is guarding him if we aren't going to use him to find the Anathema? Also remember that is why Gunn came along this mission.

I have no intention of going to the Mountain of Bones without getting Gunn's rewards from the Crown.

And without meeting with Torc and finding out what that groups plans are to protect the world from Demonic Invasion, I don't know if Gunn is on the same side as Rosalind, anyway.
    Why would the group bother looking for Melchizor and defeating whatever MAY be guarding him (given we just fought the temple and its about to blow up)? He is the only person that both Gunn and Rosalind through opposite means for totally different reasons know where to find Anathema. However getting to whatever power is holding that and not dying requires someone that can keep you alive *cough cough* Rosalind. And if he is still in his prison Gunn cannot get him out without from what she has informed everyone her opening said prison or someone at least with the same views as her. (See mind control doesn't solve every problem)

Gunn's reward from the crown is justly earned however given the time and nature we were presented with he has to choose either go to the Mountain of bone and help stop ritual or Let new ganther be threatened by a demigod of unknown power so he can collect a reward he could get after saving the world and adding it to his tab.

As for Torc, he again can be meet at any time however without the information Malkivar has he would be on a lower playing field then Torc. I suspect Gunn doesn't like people withholding stuff from him and he would be the type of person that would have the ace up his sleeve to even the odds and make Torc meet him on equal grounds, thus the information or at least prison. All of that is pointless however if an undead demigod destroys New Ganther/has her powers stolen and given to [insert evil deity] and the whole world is destroyed/etc.

So yeah priorities....

As for Gunn and Rosalind agreeing on anything regarding Anathema I doubt they would, hell I doubt Gunn and Theo would for that matter once Theo knew he wanted to destroy the gods and thus any way of protecting themselves from the material plane becoming another battlefield of outsiders. That however is neither here nor there. Neither one of us has it, and the one person who last saw it is not within our grasp/out of prison. So making plans that have so many variables is kinda a mute point.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-08-07 at 10:21 PM.