The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New Ganthar - fourth OOC thread

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Shh your not supposed to tell the people who want to kill gods that they have a chance of opening the lock XD

As for the armor, well you will have one angry vampire if he ever gets free. Then again if you set him free I think he will call it an even trade
    Theo wants to find a way for him to be freed to kill Maltur and Vlarath, and then to destroy Melchizar. I'll trade his freedom for Maltur and the armor for Vlarath.

I do wonder if Anathema is only specifically powerful against the Divine. It's not like he formed Anathema to focus on mere mortals. For all we know, it is attuned to unmake divinity and yet acts as a normal sword vs a mortal
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

If im not mistaken it was described to Rosalind in her vision quest as thr very essence of Torae. The black flame of death, and that anything it touches dies.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, new plan.

1) coerce the Living Death Sword of Annihilation into attacking our enemies.

2) resurrect Rosalind

3) bait the evil immortal sword man into attacking us before he wins for Charis

4) commence Operation Rosalind Shield

5) as Anathema the weapon is Bad Vamp the creature, if the weapon shatters, maybe he dies for good.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Theo take the wheel! I'm going to be afk for the weekend.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Okay! When we get an answer, Theo will ask on the armor, and continue down this course on the nature of his allegiance. So far this is the only way Theo IC could conceive of destroying Maltur and ending the threat to the WBW, allowing him to redeem Charis for good.

In terms of the calendar - I'll be on a trip to Denmark and Norway for the second half of September. No promises on what kind of posting schedule I can keep.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks for the heads up, hope you enjoy the trip.

7. - Top - End - #247

So, votes on whether or not to release Melchizar?

Rosalind votes No
    Gunn votes Not Yet
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Theo votes not yet
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalind would be not yet as well if she was aware of everything which she is not.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yara votes no.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Ok then at the absolutely right now moment, No is a 4-0.

I have planar ally prepared. I will secure this ar a for the time with an ally that will only let me, people I consent to accompany me, or whoever is designated my representative to be designated with the Sword of Tariel. A Deva on the side of Charis would likely be motivated to assist me on the holy mission I am on for minimal return payment. We can use diplomacy ad well. Good plan?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-09-02 at 08:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252

@ilinares, are the relics and artifacts inside the cell or outside it?

I would also like to know the mechanical details of each relic, if possible. They are just so cool sounding!
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-09-02 at 09:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Did someone say astra deva?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Oh yeah, try to find out more about that armor. Get me that armor. I want that armor. Gimme.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Go esorscher, nice questions

Okay 2 things....
    YES DICE GODS I LOVE YOU!!!!

okay now that that is out of the way, I am open to criticism for anything I write (I write not steal from a game or something) and the first thing that jumps out at me for my poem/song/strange combo thing I am trying to start and get the people to sing is that it starts of rhyming and then I kinda toss rhyme out the window for flow instead.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-09-02 at 11:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sorry for the lack of posting today, had the day off work looking after the children so even less time to myself than usual.

Will aim to reply substantively tomorrow.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

All is well! Have fun with the children, we'll be here when you've finished your family and work obligations!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    All is well! Have fun with the children, we'll be here when you've finished your family and work obligations!
    I second this

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So to answer the question about Melchizar's collection, it's outside the cell and comprises the following:

Dalvarite Chosen One

Torc of Power Preservation
    Cognizance Crystal (13)
    Gloves of Object Reading
    Ioun Stone (Rainbow)
    Skin of the Hero

Eladrin Prince

Bone Ring
    +5 called full plate armour of energy immunity. Special: if the wearer has the Servant of the Heavens, Favoured of the Companions or Knight of Stars feat, they gain Fast Healing 3
    Armor Crystal: Adaptation, Greater

Guaven the Thrice Damned

+5 brutal surge berserker greataxe
    Special: cursed
    Special: 1/day cast Stoneskin (CL 15)
    Special: 1/week if the wielder drops below 0hp, triggers both Heal and Confusion (no save)

+5 breastplate

20. - Top - End - #260

Wow those are cool AF.

What is the mechanics of the curse?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

So what you're saying is that I need to retrain a feat, is that right?

Possibly Improved Initiative?

Do I need to swear allegiance to a trumpet archon, or can I summon Tariel and have a band of trumpet archons saluting my awesomeness?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Or take the feat later. It's only the Fast Healing ability you need the feat for.

The curse mechanics:
    • the wielder no longer gains any benefit from resting. Exhaustion and fatigue can however still be healed with appropriate magic.
    • After 7 days, the effects of doing without sleep result in a 2-point penalty to Wisdom.
    • The wielder experiences constant pain, resulting in a 1-point penalty to Constitution.
    • Every 2d10 days, some misfortune befalls a person, institution or cause precious to the wielder. The exact effect is at DM discretion. There is a 45% chance the misfortune is minor (e.g. causing inconvenience, minor injury or modest loss of money or reputation), a 45% chance it is serious (e.g. causing hardship, major injury, or significant loss of money or reputation), and a 10% chance it is catastrophic (up to and including disgrace, destitution and death).
    • If the axe is permanently discarded, a remove curse spell or the like ends the effect. However, if the axe is taken up again by the same person, the wielder and those close to him suffer the full effects as though it had never been set down.

The mechanics for ending the curse are not immediately apparent.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Torc of Power Preservation"

Its everything I ever could have wanted.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by ilinares View Post
    The curse mechanics:
    • the wielder no longer gains any benefit from resting. Exhaustion and fatigue can however still be healed with appropriate magic.
    • After 7 days, the effects of doing without sleep result in a 2-point penalty to Wisdom.
    • The wielder experiences constant pain, resulting in a 1-point penalty to Constitution.
    • Every 2d10 days, some misfortune befalls a person, institution or cause precious to the wielder. The exact effect is at DM discretion. There is a 45% chance the misfortune is minor (e.g. causing inconvenience, minor injury or modest loss of money or reputation), a 45% chance it is serious (e.g. causing hardship, major injury, or significant loss of money or reputation), and a 10% chance it is catastrophic (up to and including disgrace, destitution and death).
    • If the axe is permanently discarded, a remove curse spell or the like ends the effect. However, if the axe is taken up again by the same person, the wielder and those close to him suffer the full effects as though it had never been set down.

The mechanics for ending the curse are not immediately apparent.
    :( that's a rough curse... although since we're pretty close to the end of the game, time wise, most of it may not become an issue. So really it's a -1 to Con in exchange for a lot more attack and damage, but since Perseus has been doing a pretty excellent job of dealing damage already, is it worth it?

The breastplate certainly is.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Curse you all. I keep looking for the post lol

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Timble, glad you liked it.

Esorscher, yes, it's a curse designed to give you pause before taking up the item. There is indeed a way to break that curse, but whether it could be broken within 2d10 days...?

27. - Top - End - #267

What sort of rolls would I make/ spells would I cast to figure out how to break the curse? Would atonement help?
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-09-05 at 07:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm. You would need to find out more about the axe's history and where the curse came from. Atonement requires contrition which requires knowledge of what evil deed is being atoned for.

Since you've already tried the relevant skill checks (except perhaps bardic knowledge), probably a case of in-game research rather than "oh look, I just remembered!"

Or find a spell that tells you. "Screw your side quest, I'm a high level adventurer with magic coming out of my ears!"

Dantie, sorry, it took a while to answer the OOC questions and I'm moving on to the IC thread next!
    Last edited by ilinares; 2019-09-05 at 11:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Its all good, just buzzing with excitement and dread is all. Excited to see everyones posts. Dreading that after tomorrow its our slow break time lol

30. - Top - End - #270

I think this part of my post may have been missed, or perhaps you ran out of time to address it?

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post

Spoiler: Telepathically
    Show
    Not my ritual--merely one I've heard of. I don't even know if it's possible, but I wondered if you'd have knowledge of it.

Earlier, you mentioned that you had killed one "true immortal," as you put it--but that it wasn't Dalvar. Which was it? What happened to their divine power?

The Ways Between Worlds are a subject of great interest, both to myself, and I'm sure my companions. None of us would wish to see our world become a battleground between extraplanar forces. How many Ways are there? Did each Way have their own sentinel? How did they come into being? How many remained after your gambit? How did you decide which to slay, and which to let live? The sentinels who lost their power--what happened to them after Charis assumed their duties? Could they reassume those positions, should Charis relinquish her control over the Ways? Could others be raised up, or created, to replace those you killed? Are these sentinels non-living, like you, or do they eventually die? After their death, what happens to them, and the Ways they guard? And how could the way into Torae's Hall be rebuilt?

I'm also curious about the cycle of conflict between the new immortals, and... was it the old Gods? The Creators? Or only you, as the instrument of Death? Could you describe that cycle, please? I'm wondering how new immortals came into being, who the first were, and whether the portfolios belong to each new immortals changed as they perished and their power transferred. Furthermore, how did the Creator Gods manage to bind that immortality into the divine beings mortals worship today? And where did the divine spark, as you put it, originate?

You suggested that divine sparks could be transferred with sufficient worship. Is that all it takes? If enough mortals were convinced to worship a bean, for example, would that endow the bean with divine properties? Or, more seriously, if an entire race of people worshiped their ancestors, as the dwarves do, does that endow their ancestors spirits with some measure of divinity?