New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Wafflehouse and Krystal

I live near Chicago. There are no Wafflehouse’s north of Indianapolis. My wife and her brother love the place. We went on vacation to Chattanooga Tennessee, and there was a Wafflehouse across the street from a Wafflehouse! I suppose one is for if you get off the express-way going one way, and the other is if you get off the express-way going the other way (my Garmin GPS had the two of them 1/2 mile apart with the same address . . . now that is magic!). Otherwise are these places like mattress stores?

Also wow Krystal is a parallel dimension White Castle. Evidently White Castle is the first hamburger chain to franchise, so everyone copied them . . . but damn they took the White Castle burger and filed off the serial numbers.

Seriously though my brother-in-law kept on picking grease-traps. I had to tell him that I was no longer a teenager, and need fruits and vegetables . . . ones that are not breaded and fried.

We stayed at Raccoon Mountain . . . the best name ever!
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-07-16 at 12:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wafflehouse and Krystal

I've eaten at a Krystal burger exactly once, and that was enough for a lifetime.

Waffle House though, I used to eat at regularly, and still stop by every now and again. They're all over the South and good for quick meals. Same with Cracker Barrel. You can throw a rock and hit a Waffle House, a Cracker Barrel, and a WaWa with the same toss at most Interstate exits these days.

If you want a meal with vegetables from one, their chicken salad is really good. Mostly because of the chicken, mind, but it's got vegetables in it.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2019-07-16 at 02:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't been able to go to the midwest playgrounder meetup in TN for about two years, I think, but typically I carpool with another playgrounder and we stop at Krystal's burgers.
    It, along with Shoney's, is definitely one of my favorite parts of the drive especially since neither are available to me here in Oklahoma.

As for Waffle House, it reminds me too much of my grandmother who worked in one for like 30 years, so I only really eat there when I'm drunk or melancholic.
    gosh, though, those hashbrowns are angelic.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    I haven't been able to go to the midwest playgrounder meetup in TN for about two years, I think, but typically I carpool with another playgrounder and we stop at Krystal's burgers.
    It, along with Shoney's, is definitely one of my favorite parts of the drive especially since neither are available to me here in Oklahoma.

As for Waffle House, it reminds me too much of my grandmother who worked in one for like 30 years, so I only really eat there when I'm drunk or melancholic.
    gosh, though, those hashbrowns are angelic.
    I eat at Wafflehouse during hurricanes. I never really have to--pretty much always have food saved up, and access to backup electricity and camps stoves--but I feel like they deserve my business for staying open in all but the worst disasters, and it's always an interesting sort of community there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    I eat at Wafflehouse during hurricanes. I never really have to--pretty much always have food saved up, and access to backup electricity and camps stoves--but I feel like they deserve my business for staying open in all but the worst disasters, and it's always an interesting sort of community there.
    Yeah, when you consider server wages in the US, it's definitely good to get there and make sure the employees are getting paid for being there in hazardous conditions, and I'm sure it makes them feel a little bit better to have more company in that kind of atmosphere.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Was in Phoenix that last week with family but couldn't convince anyone except my wife to go to Wafflehouse but, since we were all together, we never had it. I've had it exactly once before and it was great. Instead was forced to eat Denny's.