The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 171
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    “Oh excellent, excellent. I won’t be playing of course, but I would love to watch and spend the night not here. Quailex, excellent lava-sword work, come join us and we’ll learn about some proper magic.”
    [X]: 2ND PLACE

    “Um, yeah, you will,” Elodie says with a giggle that turns into a little snort. “There’s four of us, right? So two of us act as the opposition and one of us helps out the ninja. Because real beach volleyball is always two versus two, obviously.”

    She hops up, waving everybody onwards, her bare feet sinking ever so slightly into the warm sand. “Ninja, who do you want on your team?”
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Let's draw back a bit. Take this more slowly, give everyone their proper introductions.

    Alexstralia Unvadr, Queen of Darkness, Exile of the Magma Pit - defeated in battle by a legendary champion and condemned in her weakened state to the reform school at Sleepshy Rise. Her skin is ashen black and her blood is lava; her name is terror and her words are poison. She is a martial champion and commander of legions - though her attempts at subtlety leave much to be desired. She has taken as her project in her enforced downtime the practice of subtlety, manipulation, cunning and sorcery so that she might be able to trick and undermine those she was unable to conquer with direct force. The process of learning subtlety as one who has none, however, is a bit of a grind and she leans very heavily on the crutch of 'be manipulated by my charms or have a sword of molten lava impale your chest'.

    She is an oaf, this is true. But the polite fiction that she is not is the primary thing that keeps her from burning the world around her to ruin. She takes jibes and teasing as part of the process but be cautious when pushing her.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Whip and wheel: Alexstralia can form, break, command or terrorize mobs, crowds or groups. She can make an example of someone to clear a Condition.
    Obviously the smartest: Alexstralia believes any flattering lie without reservation or hesitation.


    Carmen Rakam, Shadow in the Night, the Wandering Exorcist, Guardian of Garvendale. In her path the shadows fill with blood and if there was a list of the beasts she had slain most residents of Sleepshy Rise would see at least one name they recognized. Sleepshy Rise is the final trial for those who would be full members of the Ordos Nocturne - the greatest concentration of monsters, the greatest concentration of targets. Her role is to bring destruction to as many as possible and escape - a mission compromised only by her desire to remove the innocent denizens of the castle from her list of victims.

    Spoiler
    Show

    A lifetime of training: When Carmen Rakam reveals her identity she can execute every single one of her plans simultaneously.
    Insufficiently ruthless: Carmen cannot harm anyone who she has conflicted feelings about.


    She has just realized with a terrible shock that Elodie is not, in fact, one of those innocents. She is a monster just like all the rest - of what kind, she has no idea. But this means that she is in a situation where she does not have to worry about civilian casualties.

    A tiny glass vial falls from her sleeve and her boot crunches it a second later. A whirlwind of thick, choking smoke erupts - a storm in a bottle, but still nothing to the swiftness and suddenness of this assassin. Her blade licks out once, twice, inflicting deep cuts on the Queen of Darkness and Annalee. It is a total coincidence that all Elodie gets from this exchange is a kick, just enough to cover Carmen as she gets through the portal and seal it shut with a runic gauntlet.

    Annalee, all of a sudden you're alone in Elodie's room with Alexstralia - and you have significant doubts that this will remain a decent hiding place without Elodie's presence. Also take 1-harm from your cut.

    Elodie, you're in a strange tropical environment, staring down an implacable ninja with a bloody katana whose intentions r.e. beach volleyball are no longer as clear.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    How wonderful. I'll be certain to take the bloodthirsty predator's safety assessment into consideration.

    Timothy shuddered at Samael's touch. This was all wrong. He shouldn’t even be here, much less here! He ought to have ran away; far, far away. This couldn't be the safest place available. Surely there were options. Why was he still speaking to him? He was a vampire. A monster. Dangerous! Get away from him, you fool! You know this beast! You know his nature. Violent and cruel and insatiable and not caring a whit for you once he’d eaten his fill. There shouldn't be a lick of softness in his soul. In his dread, iron clutches, mortals ought to feel fear! Terror! Despair!

    And no comfort.

    “You failed to mention the pain.” Could Samael feel his pulse beneath his fingers? Flying, tearing, straining against his pale skin. “...does it hurt?” he asked quietly.
    Samael took his time to answer thisone. The look on Tim's face was too good and had to be savoured. It made up for all the crappyness of this evening so far.

    "Yes," he said, honestly. Samael was not one to shy away from a lie when occasion called for it, but more often than not, he'd found, the truth was far more delicious than any lie.

    "But perhaps you won't care."
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    “Oh no,” Elodie says, in sudden dread, looking at the panicked, bloody-katana-wielding ninja. “This is just like that story about the frog and the scorpion.”

    Sudden realization strikes her. “And Scorpion is a ninja, how could I not have seen this coming??”

    Okay, there’s no need to panic. (Bloody katana.) There is mild need to panic.

    “Okay, Miss Scorpion,” Elodie says, taking the sort of tone one might with a horse ghost you’re trying to coax into following you to a place with lots of sugar cubes forever, “I need you to please put the sword away. It is not a valid tool for beach volleyball, and we have to play beach volleyball. Otherwise, like, what’s to stop Leelee from cursing you into a real scorpion?”

    [I am afraid of this turning into the parable of the frog and the scorpion, which ends with both of them drowning. Keeping My Cool with a 7; tell me how trying to calm Carmen down will leave me vulnerable.]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Annalee, all of a sudden you're alone in Elodie's room with Alexstralia - and you have significant doubts that this will remain a decent hiding place without Elodie's presence. Also take 1-harm from your cut.
    Annalee dusts herself off, winces. "Alright, I am capable of admitting that I can be wrong, and this was clearly a missed opportunity to make good use of a sacrificial dagger. Next time you bring me someone to work magic on, Alex, I will take this into account." Annalee was being very magnanimous considering that Alex had actually caused this problem, but she didn't see a lot of value in pointing that out while they were alone and stuck here without the psychopomp to shield them.

    So, think Annalee, what to do next. Honestly, all she wanted tonight was a bit of sleep, so the need here was to find a new safe place to rest. She had such plans to start work on a sanctum in the castle, that would be so useful, but those were barely getting off the ground for now. So, up was out of the question, they were already at the top of a tower and magic did not include flight at the present. Down meant going back into the main castle and the shaken up masses. Perhaps somewhere the angel had already checked, one of the lower dorms if they could sneak past. Alex would be worthless for that though. Perhaps she had a safe place for herself?

    Annalee holds out a hand to Alex, her cut bleeding with hot blood, her shirt and skirt rumpled and out of place, legs exposed, skin bare. Her hand and her stance says without saying let's go together, I'll make it worth your while.

    [Rolling to turn on Alex. Got a 12, so that's an 11 even with the -1. I get a string and can pick one of the three reactions.]
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    “Oh no,” Elodie says, in sudden dread, looking at the panicked, bloody-katana-wielding ninja. “This is just like that story about the frog and the scorpion.”

    Sudden realization strikes her. “And Scorpion is a ninja, how could I not have seen this coming??”

    Okay, there’s no need to panic. (Bloody katana.) There is mild need to panic.

    “Okay, Miss Scorpion,” Elodie says, taking the sort of tone one might with a horse ghost you’re trying to coax into following you to a place with lots of sugar cubes forever, “I need you to please put the sword away. It is not a valid tool for beach volleyball, and we have to play beach volleyball. Otherwise, like, what’s to stop Leelee from cursing you into a real scorpion?”

    [I am afraid of this turning into the parable of the frog and the scorpion, which ends with both of them drowning. Keeping My Cool with a 7; tell me how trying to calm Carmen down will leave me vulnerable.]
    There's confusion, hesitation in the midst of that steely resolve. She's not expecting pleading and haggling, she's expecting you to reveal your true form and attempt to curse her with the primordial powers of darkness. You can lean into that - you're an innocent here, you're not really magical at all, that was probably Annalee's spell, or maybe she enchanted you or something? You're just an ordinary person and she should be saving you rather than coming after you.

    And as long as you hold to that, things will be great! As long as you don't show the slightest whiff of the supernatural she'll be your guardian and defender rather than your assassin. A dangerous gamble, especially on an enchanted island awash with unknowable perils, but still less immediate than a sword to the heart right this instant.

    Otherwise, like, what’s to stop Leelee from cursing you into a real scorpion?”
    "The power of holy justice?" said the assassin with a unique mixture of total confidence and serious uncertainty. A little more boldly, (and a lot more unwisely, given whose island this is), she continues "I do not fear sorceresses."


    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Annalee dusts herself off, winces. "Alright, I am capable of admitting that I can be wrong, and this was clearly a missed opportunity to make good use of a sacrificial dagger. Next time you bring me someone to work magic on, Alex, I will take this into account." Annalee was being very magnanimous considering that Alex had actually caused this problem, but she didn't see a lot of value in pointing that out while they were alone and stuck here without the psychopomp to shield them.

    So, think Annalee, what to do next. Honestly, all she wanted tonight was a bit of sleep, so the need here was to find a new safe place to rest. She had such plans to start work on a sanctum in the castle, that would be so useful, but those were barely getting off the ground for now. So, up was out of the question, they were already at the top of a tower and magic did not include flight at the present. Down meant going back into the main castle and the shaken up masses. Perhaps somewhere the angel had already checked, one of the lower dorms if they could sneak past. Alex would be worthless for that though. Perhaps she had a safe place for herself?

    Annalee holds out a hand to Alex, her cut bleeding with hot blood, her shirt and skirt rumpled and out of place, legs exposed, skin bare. Her hand and her stance says without saying let's go together, I'll make it worth your while.

    [Rolling to turn on Alex. Got a 12, so that's an 11 even with the -1. I get a string and can pick one of the three reactions.]
    Alex clasps her hand to yours - rough and flaking, leaving your hand covered in black soot. She's unevenly hot - where the molten blood vessels are near the surface it burns, but the rest of her skin is like pebbles on sunny days. "Do not worry," she says fiercely. "I shall butcher any who learn of your failure here, and more - I shall gather all the hounds of the netherworld to hunt down the one who dared injured you. I shall wrench from their lips screams of apology so agonized that they will salve even your infinite anger. We shall hunt together."

    Just the thing for 1am in the morning: A pledge to an unending and bloody vengeance hunt across worlds.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Samael took his time to answer thisone. The look on Tim's face was too good and had to be savoured. It made up for all the crappyness of this evening so far.

    "Yes," he said, honestly. Samael was not one to shy away from a lie when occasion called for it, but more often than not, he'd found, the truth was far more delicious than any lie.

    "But perhaps you won't care."
    Wait, but, one moment, why wouldn't he care about getting bit? Why would Samael say that so casually?!

    Was this a thing? Is this a thing people did? Real people, a thing they did? How could there possibly be a soul out there who enjoyed getting stabbed in the neck?!

    But the things you heard that night...

    "Yes. Well. It hardly seems fair, does it?" He babbled, eyes flitting about the room. "Certain pain and possible death in return for a single night's sanctuary." Don't look at the vampire. Keep the danger in the periphery. "Surely you see it would be a poor deal for me." He hadn't pursued this. "I couldn't possibly..." This was all an accident, a terrible accident. He should leave. "It'd be foolish to..." The door was there. Start walking. "Surely..." Now! Move!

    A hazy, dreaming fog rolled through his mind, and he leaned - ever so slightly - into Samael's touch.

    No!!!

    "Surely we can arrange a...a few nights more?"
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Alex clasps her hand to yours - rough and flaking, leaving your hand covered in black soot. She's unevenly hot - where the molten blood vessels are near the surface it burns, but the rest of her skin is like pebbles on sunny days. "Do not worry," she says fiercely. "I shall butcher any who learn of your failure here, and more - I shall gather all the hounds of the netherworld to hunt down the one who dared injured you. I shall wrench from their lips screams of apology so agonized that they will salve even your infinite anger. We shall hunt together."

    Just the thing for 1am in the morning: A pledge to an unending and bloody vengeance hunt across worlds.
    Does she even need sleep? This is an academy for monsters, so Annalee is considering the possibility right now that someone that is made of lava (her skin feels very nice, so warm and smooth) doesn't actually need sleep. It would explain so much, including her complete stupidity in the situation.

    "This is a very wonderful offer. And I will appreciate it very much tomorrow. Right now, I am very much in need of sleep, perhaps you are not aware. My magic is good at curses and such, less good at sustaining me if I do not get proper rest. Perhaps you know a place?"
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Wait, but, one moment, why wouldn't he care about getting bit? Why would Samael say that so casually?!

    Was this a thing? Is this a thing people did? Real people, a thing they did? How could there possibly be a soul out there who enjoyed getting stabbed in the neck?!

    But the things you heard that night...

    "Yes. Well. It hardly seems fair, does it?" He babbled, eyes flitting about the room. "Certain pain and possible death in return for a single night's sanctuary." Don't look at the vampire. Keep the danger in the periphery. "Surely you see it would be a poor deal for me." He hadn't pursued this. "I couldn't possibly..." This was all an accident, a terrible accident. He should leave. "It'd be foolish to..." The door was there. Start walking. "Surely..." Now! Move!

    A hazy, dreaming fog rolled through his mind, and he leaned - ever so slightly - into Samael's touch.

    No!!!

    "Surely we can arrange a...a few nights more?"
    "Despite what may or may not be rumoured about me I am not unreasonable," Samael said, still with velvet voice and a hint of a smile.

    "Two nights, then..."

    He leaned a little closer to add, with a whisper in Tim's ear, "per bite."
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND BEST

    “Does holy justice protect you from witchcraft?” Okay, you can do this, Elodie. You’re the most normal person. You’re super normal! You do gardening! You can fake being not magical and important. “If it does... you might be able to save me from that witch! My name’s Elodie, what’s yours?”

    Whoops whoops what’s this? Hand holding GET! Now you have to put the sword away, because it’s super tough to hold a sword while walking and holding hands! Checkmate.

    “Her name’s Annalee, and she is super mean. If you get on her bad side, she’ll cast weird spells and curses on you. She uses that as blackmail to make innocent people do her bidding! After what happened last time...” Lip wobble that’s only a little faked, snuggle closer. Gosh, isn’t it getting warm? “I didn’t dare get on her bad side! But you’ll protect me, right?”

    Maybe she’ll open up a door while the ninja’s back is turned, bring her back, and let her beat up Annalee! Hehe, yeah. That’ll serve her right, and there’s no way to trace that back to Elodie! Foolproof.

    But first, they should totally have some gal time on the beach! They might do some swimming, or play frisbee with one of those sharp frisbees attached to her belt, or even... maybe even truth or dare! <3
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Does she even need sleep? This is an academy for monsters, so Annalee is considering the possibility right now that someone that is made of lava (her skin feels very nice, so warm and smooth) doesn't actually need sleep. It would explain so much, including her complete stupidity in the situation.

    "This is a very wonderful offer. And I will appreciate it very much tomorrow. Right now, I am very much in need of sleep, perhaps you are not aware. My magic is good at curses and such, less good at sustaining me if I do not get proper rest. Perhaps you know a place?"
    "I know just the place," said Alexstralia brightly.

    Ten minutes later you're standing outside the door to Samael's room.

    Samael - secrecy obviously isn't a sufficient method of hiding from the monstrous students of Sleepshy Rise. Sometimes you need to make examples. What kind of dire warnings do you leave on the way to your lair? What dark reputation is the demoness blithely disregarding as she pounds upon your door, ruining your dinner?

    Timothy - you're just leaning into the embrace of a vampire when the door is struck by blow after blow, heavy and ominous like all your wicked deeds come home to roost. Who is the worst person it could possibly be? How did you learn to fear them?

    Annalee - When was the last time you were alone with Samael? What was the best thing about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND BEST

    “Does holy justice protect you from witchcraft?” Okay, you can do this, Elodie. You’re the most normal person. You’re super normal! You do gardening! You can fake being not magical and important. “If it does... you might be able to save me from that witch! My name’s Elodie, what’s yours?”

    Whoops whoops what’s this? Hand holding GET! Now you have to put the sword away, because it’s super tough to hold a sword while walking and holding hands! Checkmate.

    “Her name’s Annalee, and she is super mean. If you get on her bad side, she’ll cast weird spells and curses on you. She uses that as blackmail to make innocent people do her bidding! After what happened last time...” Lip wobble that’s only a little faked, snuggle closer. Gosh, isn’t it getting warm? “I didn’t dare get on her bad side! But you’ll protect me, right?”

    Maybe she’ll open up a door while the ninja’s back is turned, bring her back, and let her beat up Annalee! Hehe, yeah. That’ll serve her right, and there’s no way to trace that back to Elodie! Foolproof.

    But first, they should totally have some gal time on the beach! They might do some swimming, or play frisbee with one of those sharp frisbees attached to her belt, or even... maybe even truth or dare! <3
    It requires a certain conviction to be a demon hunter; the ability to trust in your senses despite sweet words and distracting touches. It requires the cold, iron will to trust that what you see is real and that your memories are true. But it was nowhere near as flashy as the nunchuck lessons so Carmen had packed all those courses into her final year of training. Accordingly, convincing herself that it was the evil sorceress Annalee and not cute, bubbly Elodie who had cast the portal spell was easier than it should have been.

    "My name is Carmen Rakam, Aspiring Vigilant of the Ordos Nocturne and I swear to you," said Carmen - not making poorly thought through oaths, also a 4th year lesson - "I will find a way to get you home, and put an end to this dark sorceress that she might never harm you again."

    She wished she could give this speech from a windowsill or a rooftop or something cool and shadowy, it somehow didn't have the same menace from a sunny beach.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-08-07 at 09:25 PM.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND BEST

    “The Ordos Nocturne,” the vampire said, shuddering. “I thought nothing of them. You must understand their folly, yes?”

    A sweep of his corpse-white hand, encompassing the castle. “To challenge me, here, in my sanctum sanctorum? On my own unhallowed ground? Where, with a wave of my hand, a dozen ghastly specters would issue forth from the ghastly pits of hell, shrieking and jangling their chains? Where my blood flows through the very stones you see around you? Here, I am— was— a god, my friend.”

    “And yet, to avenge some paltry wrong, a family member left hollow by my thirst, or a village eclipsed by my shadow, the Ordos Nocturne swore vengeance. And they sent a Vigilant. One!”

    “And now, I am here. My ashes, scattered to the winds. My dark enchantments, unwoven and undone. My brides freed, my larders emptied, and my heart pierced by that dreadful stake. My friend, if it is at all possible to kill you, then know that the Ordos Nocturne would find a way.”

    The reaper stood in solemn silence, perhaps to honor the vast age of the vampire lord, perhaps considering the prophecy uttered. And, in the stillness, there came a tugging on his robe.

    “Daddy, his beard is stupid and smelly. I wanna go home.”


    ***

    The best thing about being clingy is that it’s harder for Carmen to notice Elodie’s thousand-yard stare off into the distance. This is. This is so bad. This is the worst possible thing.

    Oh hey it’s the ocean!

    “H-hey, Carmen,” Elodie says with the most natural voice in the world despite her suddenly dry throat, “wanna go s-swimming?” This isn’t a plan. This is no plan. This is a Hail Mary.
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Annalee - When was the last time you were alone with Samael? What was the best thing about it?
    It has been a while, I think. There was the time not long after I started at Sleepshy, but I fled that one foolishly. A lesson in after class safety and in not knowing who in the school was valuable yet. But the most recent time, I think it would have been at the end of the student council meeting, not all that long ago, a week or two perhaps? You know how time is always flying. Samael stayed to put things away, he is very senior so of course he would assist with such matters and I offered to help.

    The best thing about it? There are so many things, but the best thing is how much Samael knows. He's got so much experience with the academy, and he keeps tabs on everyone. It's the perfect compliment to my powers. And he is such a gentleman and a man of business, always willing to negotiate over these things. I have all sorts of tokens and offerings to make, and my ways of acquiring information, not to mention my blood should it come to that. I'm really not squeamish about that sort of trade, when the price is fair.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Samael - secrecy obviously isn't a sufficient method of hiding from the monstrous students of Sleepshy Rise. Sometimes you need to make examples. What kind of dire warnings do you leave on the way to your lair? What dark reputation is the demoness blithely disregarding as she pounds upon your door, ruining your dinner?
    Be around as long as I have and you need little by way of dire warnings. Whether you are referring to my bedroom, the one opposite Timmy's, or this tall spire hiding spot we're in right now which used to be secret, it's all the same - on the door is just my name. Tim must have missed it in his blind panic as he barged through the door. Anyone who knows what's good for them knows that name and, more importantly, who does the markings of their papers and takes down their class attendance. They say student (and indeed teacher) life can be made very difficult by one who holds access to those regardless of what they seek to achieve here.

    If my name is not enough, the sign in sheet posted on my bedroom door for the only class that I run myself seems to do the trick.

    Tuition Of Rehabilitation Through Understanding Repetitive Exercise

    Time: Midnight - 2am
    Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    Location: The gym
    Credits: 0

    ________________ _______________

    ________________ _______________

    ________________ _______________

    ________________ _______________

    ________________ _______________

    ________________ _______________

    ________________ _______________
    It's a simple A4 piece of paper stuck to the door with a piece of cellotape. It has no pen. The best way of getting your name on that list is barging in to... anywhere not invited. Us vampires are... particular about invitations. It has no names on it yet, but the term has only just started. This is a class that anyone can 'join' at any time. It offers no credits but it is headmaster-endorsed. So there is that.

    *

    Samael's face plainly shows his irritation at being disturbed, it was obvious that Tim was about to cave, he had him right where he wanted him and he was thirsty. While you don't necessarily need their consent, it does make the whole thing a lot easier. Besides, he hadn't escaped noticing the odd not-so-sneaky glance through their opposite windows and he needed to put this little human in his place. Which is harder to do when being interrupted. For now, hoping Timmy's breaking point is imminent, Samael chooses to ignore the pounding on the door. He'd have to deal with it soon, but he'd much prefer to handle it after this little arrangement had been sealed.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Timothy - you're just leaning into the embrace of a vampire when the door is struck by blow after blow, heavy and ominous like all your wicked deeds come home to roost. Who is the worst person it could possibly be? How did you learn to fear them?
    G'eldriia Despana

    She of the Thousand Silk Threads

    Patient Hunter, Swift Striker, Merciless Biter

    and Captain of the Quiz Bowl Team.

    (Her friends call her Dria.)

    Had you seen the look in all of her eyes when she learned Timothy was just a common mortal from Earth, you would fear her too. What an ace he would make on the circuit! Who better to tackle all those pesky, morti-cultural questions than a mortal? With him on the team, they would be unstoppable! Undefeated! Legends!

    And that is precisely the sort of thing Timothy would like to avoid at all costs. It's bad enough trying to get by unnoticed in a school literally full of monsters born and bred to hunt humans. Can you imagine how hard it'd be on stage? With his face in the school paper? No no no no no, none for him, no thank you, hard pass. That he's avoided her webs so far is nothing short of a miracle, but in his heart, he knows it's only a matter of time before she tracks him down again...

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    "Despite what may or may not be rumoured about me I am not unreasonable," Samael said, still with velvet voice and a hint of a smile.

    "Two nights, then..."

    He leaned a little closer to add, with a whisper in Tim's ear, "per bite."
    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Samael's face plainly shows his irritation at being disturbed, it was obvious that Tim was about to cave, he had him right where he wanted him and he was thirsty. While you don't necessarily need their consent, it does make the whole thing a lot easier. Besides, he hadn't escaped noticing the odd not-so-sneaky glance through their opposite windows and he needed to put this little human in his place. Which is harder to do when being interrupted. For now, hoping Timmy's breaking point is imminent, Samael chooses to ignore the pounding on the door. He'd have to deal with it soon, but he'd much prefer to handle it after this little arrangement had been sealed.
    ...and it is for that reason - among others - that Timothy was unable to so easily ignore the intrusion.

    His head whipped about to the door, and he involuntarily jerked away from Samael. "Oh heavens, oh mercy, oh no..." He hugged his bundled blankets for comfort, and found none. "She couldn't have found me here. It's impossible. Ludicrous. Inconcievable." He babbled under his breath, perhaps a little louder than he intended to. And as the new fear barged in, the old made itself known anew. He was in a room with Samael. One door that he knew of. All alone. Only, not alone anymore. What could this mean for him, and his terrible, horrible, no-good very bad night?

    But Timothy would not be allowed to reach a conclusion so easily. The whole thing rested on a knife's edge, and perhaps if he had been truly alone he could've sorted things out himself. (Then again, if he were truly alone, there would be nothing to sort out, would there?) But he was alone with a vampire; a creature of subtle ways, to whom mortal terror was simply another tool in his belt.

    The question, then, was how Samael would choose to wield it.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-08-10 at 01:50 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    The best thing about being clingy is that it’s harder for Carmen to notice Elodie’s thousand-yard stare off into the distance. This is. This is so bad. This is the worst possible thing.

    Oh hey it’s the ocean!

    “H-hey, Carmen,” Elodie says with the most natural voice in the world despite her suddenly dry throat, “wanna go s-swimming?” This isn’t a plan. This is no plan. This is a Hail Mary.
    Carmen looked down at her outfit - leather, knives, parchment, knives, purity seals, knives, blood runes, and swords. Her expression said, 'I am a professional obviously discounting this plan because I am a very serious assassin with a mission to do', but her brain was saying 'if this cute girl finds out that I am wearing Mormon full body underwear right now then I will actually die'.

    "We are in a perilous supernatural environment with danger lurking behind every tree and shadow," said Carmen. "No doubt this is some sphere of the Darkling Lands where the Witch intended to dispose of us. Don't worry - I have been trained for this. I promise to keep you safe and slay whatever monster dwells at the heart of this evil realm."

    *

    INTERLUDE SCENE

    Every so often, just knowing your way around the modern world is a huge advantage in Sleepshy Rise. Timothy's understanding of basics like 'how a microwave works' makes him a high demand partner for group projects. Sometimes he says things that surprise even the angel!

    Unfortunately for Timothy, sometimes the angel issues assignments that surprise you.

    The scalpel hovers in your hands over the casing to the sea mine.

    "This week's research assignment will be to vivisect this Battleship Egg and write a report on the contents."

    Two girls are looking over your shoulder impatiently.

    How are you with 1920's Italian explosives?
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    How are you with 1920's Italian explosives?
    Quite well, by the looks of things! See how still he holds the knife, without so much as a twitch of extraneous motion. See the focus on the task before him, as if the world were empty save for man and egg. See the color drain from his cheeks, definitely to provide his fingers that extra touch of circulation and dexterity. Here stands the expert upon the precipice of his craft. When invisible instinct dictates, he will produce his masterpiece.

    For the moment, we wait.

    “Out of the purest curiosity,” He asked, and with such calm! Even knowing how much of their grade rested on a successful dissection. In every respect, the right man for the job. “Have either of you ever heard of a student who completed this assignment sans dismemberment?”
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-08-12 at 12:26 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Quite well, by the looks of things! See how still he holds the knife, without so much as a twitch of extraneous motion. See the focus on the task before him, as if the world were empty save for man and egg. See the color drain from his cheeks, definitely to provide his fingers that extra touch of circulation and dexterity. Here stands the expert upon the precipice of his craft. When invisible instinct dictates, he will produce his masterpiece.

    For the moment, we wait.

    “Out of the purest curiosity,” He asked, and with such calm! Even knowing how much of their grade rested on a successful dissection. In every respect, the right man for the job. “Have either of you ever heard of a student who completed this assignment sans dismemberment?”
    "I did not ask. But I am fully confident in you Timmy." Annalee looks like she'd reach out and ruffle your hair, but is not doing that out of respect for your current work as a master mine dissector. "Also, if there is an explosion, we will have Elodie here open a portal so that the shrapnel does not ruin your hair." Annalee looked at Elodie expectantly because of course she would handle this at Annalee's command.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND BEST

    “Portal?” Elodie is flabbergasted! Shocked, I tell you, absolutely shocked! “Now, hold up, Annalee, I don’t see any portals within knocking distance, unless you mean to tell me you’ve got a door stuffed down your pants.” It would explain the size, she doesn’t go on to say. A portal is a portal, you know, a door to pass through, you can’t just go ooooogly boooogly and make one appear in midair!

    “Anyway, this totally isn’t safe,” she goes on. “Do you know how many people get killed gruesomely by these things every year? Nine hundred and seventy-three and a half. If this goes off, the Angel is gonna have to scrape bits of Timmy off the walls!”

    Which is a totally normal and cool and helpful thing to say in a situation like this.
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND BEST

    “Portal?” Elodie is flabbergasted! Shocked, I tell you, absolutely shocked! “Now, hold up, Annalee, I don’t see any portals within knocking distance, unless you mean to tell me you’ve got a door stuffed down your pants.” It would explain the size, she doesn’t go on to say. A portal is a portal, you know, a door to pass through, you can’t just go ooooogly boooogly and make one appear in midair!

    “Anyway, this totally isn’t safe,” she goes on. “Do you know how many people get killed gruesomely by these things every year? Nine hundred and seventy-three and a half. If this goes off, the Angel is gonna have to scrape bits of Timmy off the walls!”

    Which is a totally normal and cool and helpful thing to say in a situation like this.
    "And a half? Now I'm curious, you really can't dangle that sort of thing in the air and then let it drop. How does one get a half, hm? Are they brought back?" She looks over at Tim, who is definitely not getting distracted. "Also, doesn't that number mean this activity is much safer than driving or walking up and down stairs?"
    Unsaid on Annalee's part of course is the percentage of people doing mine dissection work that get injured compared to the stair walkers.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "I did not ask. But I am fully confident in you Timmy." Annalee looks like she'd reach out and ruffle your hair, but is not doing that out of respect for your current work as a master mine dissector. "Also, if there is an explosion, we will have Elodie here open a portal so that the shrapnel does not ruin your hair." Annalee looked at Elodie expectantly because of course she would handle this at Annalee's command.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND BEST

    “Portal?” Elodie is flabbergasted! Shocked, I tell you, absolutely shocked! “Now, hold up, Annalee, I don’t see any portals within knocking distance, unless you mean to tell me you’ve got a door stuffed down your pants.” It would explain the size, she doesn’t go on to say. A portal is a portal, you know, a door to pass through, you can’t just go ooooogly boooogly and make one appear in midair!

    “Anyway, this totally isn’t safe,” she goes on. “Do you know how many people get killed gruesomely by these things every year? Nine hundred and seventy-three and a half. If this goes off, the Angel is gonna have to scrape bits of Timmy off the walls!”

    Which is a totally normal and cool and helpful thing to say in a situation like this.
    Ah, cruel hope. Why do you mock our Timothy? What did he ever do to you?

    "'If' it goes off? Do you mean to tell me that in this realm, medical scalpels," he held up his pitiful instrument. "Can bet the better of 20th century steel? Back home, I remember it working quite the opposite!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "And a half? Now I'm curious, you really can't dangle that sort of thing in the air and then let it drop. How does one get a half, hm? Are they brought back?" She looks over at Tim, who is definitely not getting distracted. "Also, doesn't that number mean this activity is much safer than driving or walking up and down stairs?"
    Unsaid on Annalee's part of course is the percentage of people doing mine dissection work that get injured compared to the stair walkers.
    Timothy goggled in a most unhelpful manner. "It isn't the slightest bit safer! By orders of magnitude! If we had the benefit of professional equipment, twenty year's experience apiece, and a hearty breakfast, I'd still rather chance the stairs!"

    Somehow, someway, their chief expert had lost the nerve for the work, and - rather than help them earn a passing grade - selfishly busied himself with wishing for all the places he'd rather be than this soon-to-be-blasted room. (It was a long list. It could take him some time.)
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "'If' it goes off? Do you mean to tell me that in this realm, medical scalpels," he held up his pitiful instrument. "Can bet the better of 20th century steel? Back home, I remember it working quite the opposite!"
    "You are undoing rusty old screws on a device flood with seawater and practically fused shut with pressure. Just try not to hit any of the springs and we will be fine. Or give me the screw driver and I'll do it."

    Timothy was new, so he obviously did not understand very well. Risk of death was very much preferable to failing an assignment. Remedial classes were a time-consuming torture even where Samael was not involved.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "You are undoing rusty old screws on a device flood with seawater and practically fused shut with pressure. Just try not to hit any of the springs and we will be fine. Or give me the screw driver and I'll do it."

    Timothy was new, so he obviously did not understand very well. Risk of death was very much preferable to failing an assignment. Remedial classes were a time-consuming torture even where Samael was not involved.
    Timothy looked at her as if she'd started speaking in tongues. (Was he supposed to know what people said when they did that? Question for later.) "Annie. I didn't think you had such a capacity for optimism." He gave a meaningful look to the scalpel in his hand, which certainly had not transmogrified into a screwdriver since he last saw it. "Mind, I'd really rather trade it out for actual knowledge of decades-old mine technology, but, well, good to know they haven't broken your spirit."

    "Here's a better plan: We stall for time, claim nerves got the better of us, and pray that extra credit carries us over the finish line. I like that plan. That plan doesn't involve dying today."

    "...well, dying in the next few minutes, at least."

    [I think that this falls onto other side of the Shut Someone Down border, so I'ma roll it: 3 + 3 + 1 = 7 Going to go with the somewhat unintentional Condition Ignorant]
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    IGNORANT

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    [I think that this falls onto other side of the Shut Someone Down border, so I'ma roll it: 3 + 3 + 1 = 7 Going to go with the somewhat unintentional Condition Ignorant]
    Take in return the condition, CHICKEN. Which is what you are Timothy.

    "Really, me ignorant? You'll never learn anything if you are afraid of getting your hands dirty, little boy. Goodness." Annalee takes a screwdriver from a nearby desk and shoves you rudely out of the way so that she can inspect one of the rusted mine panels. Someday you'll get it Tim, but death is not even close to the worst thing that happens here.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    IGNORANT

    Take in return the condition, CHICKEN. Which is what you are Timothy.

    "Really, me ignorant? You'll never learn anything if you are afraid of getting your hands dirty, little boy. Goodness." Annalee takes a screwdriver from a nearby desk and shoves you rudely out of the way so that she can inspect one of the rusted mine panels. Someday you'll get it Tim, but death is not even close to the worst thing that happens here.
    So Elodie, there's a death about to be happening right here. Really quite a few deaths. Death may not be the worst thing to happen here but with Annalee holding that screwdriver it's definitely going to be a thing that happens here.

    What is the imminent sensation of death like to you? What voices, signals, markings, or omens speak to you in this moment? How does the grim business make you feel? Tell me, and then gaze into the abyss. Then - after that - perhaps you might want to take action to avert it.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND BEST

    Okay, so, you know that feeling when you realize that there’s something you were going to do a few minutes ago, and you forgot it, and it just popped back up in your brain, and you kinda focus on just “oh right I have to do that thing” for a minute? It’s kinda like that, knowing that death’s about to happen. Like it’s important that I be here to help them up and get them going on their way. Also the colors kind of go all washed out and bleak and if I let myself lean into that everybody’s voices get a little more distant, because my body wants me to be on the other side waiting and ready for them.

    [8 on Abyss Gazing.]

    Right now, what I’m looking for—

    I want to see a way to make Timmy see me. Give that to me, at least, veil between this world and the next. How do I get him to pay attention to me?

    Also I am grabbing his hand and booking it as Annalee probes that mine with the screwdriver, because, uh, she kinda deserves it. There is one (1) person I’m down to save right now, and I have him by his oh-so-handy wrist.

    [10 on Run Away. I would like to take Timmy with me, since I’m not “leaving something behind.”]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    The bomb exploded. Elodie was already dashing off, carrying Timothy with her. Which was the sort of thing a traitor does when they don't want to teach a new student a valuable lesson about the importance of death and its place in the universe. Annalee was already determined that the next time she saw Elodie, she'd take full advantage of her for this. And with that not at all vindictive last thought, Annalee was engulfed in a small fireball that took out the nearby table and singed Timothy's socks and the fringes of his shirt even as Elodie was beating a hasty retreat.

    Annalee was not a frequent visitor to the realm of death, though this also wasn't her first trip either. She'd had a protected one with Baba Sokolov, and she'd died one time at the academy before this when they'd all been practicing at being surgeons, she'd gotten a little overzealous with a wolf-girl, and had her throat clawed out (which in fairness had really been a reflex, she could hardly blame the girl). This experience was much more miserable. She could feel part of the flesh melt off of her face as the bomb hit her and there was a moment of agonizing pain, an attempt to scream that was met with a rush of heat that made her voice die and her lungs sear, and only then did she black out from the blunt force trauma of the explosion.

    Being dead was...hazy sort of? Kind of gray? Kind of heavy? You were floating, but it was still heavy and it gave the feeling that your heart had turned to stone and that you couldn't quite remember where you were. Annalee hated that last part. It felt like being lost in a big city or out camping, that sort of sinking feeling that you didn't know which way to go. But you also didn't know which way you wanted to go or how you'd gotten yourself into it, so it created a sort of existential dread about trying to do really anything at all. It was easier the second time though, after that first death, and with no anchor to speak of, Annalee's ghost mind had started to panic in a really instinctual way that made it willing to follow nearly anything or anyone that showed up and told her where to go. Which, come to think of it, was probably the way that the Grim Reaper wanted it because it made compliance much easier. Annalee guessed that if you became a vengeful ghost, your vengeance would end up being like a beacon guiding you towards it, but she didn't feel strongly enough towards the werewolf last time to make that happen.

    This time, well, it still felt pretty terrible (and no she wasn't angry enough at Elodie to become a vengeful spirit) but she was sort of ready for it, so she tried to stay very still and bask in the silence. You didn't get silence like this often, no breaths or heartbeat at all, the rest of the world distant and separate. No need to move, no body parts falling asleep (or maybe all of them already asleep). That was an experience to savor. Which is why this time, Death found her sitting in a contented zen stance floating a few meters off the ground.

    He sighed first, which made her open her eyes and look at him. He was very personable, Elodie's father. Or maybe he just appeared to witches that way? Silver hair, longer than most men almost down to his shoulders. A square face, complemented by a neatly trimmed silver beard to match his hair. His eyes, well, they were dark, a distant black void of nothingness, entirely empty, but that didn't stop him from gazing right at you. He wore a Hawaiian shirt today (he'd done the all in black routine last time). It wasn't as colorful as Elodie's clothing, but it was a brighter grey than the surrounds with hints of blue to it in the sickles and skulls that made up the pattern. He did have black jeans on though, and a thin copper chain about his neck with another in his side pocket, which was the most colorful thing about him. He also wore really nice, expensive-looking shoes with a Mephisto label on them.

    He was sighing though. "Second death in as many years, I see" he said, with the manner of someone that couldn't be bothered to put on the full show for a repeat audience. "Now see, this is why my daughter needs to finish her schooling and come help with the family business. None of this running off and trying to raise living things that she does. I need a day off now and then, and people like you are easy cases to get returned, so I'm sure Elly could do it." He sighs again and pulls out a tablet. "Alright, let's see how you died then." He watches the video, looks concerned. "Really? An old mine? And you tried to set it off with my daughter nearby. Be careful young lady. I have an agreement with the master of this castle, so I'll be returning you intact and healthy to your room presently, but if you hurt one hair on her head, I'll see to it that your afterlife is exceptionally unpleasant."

    With that, he took Annalee's hand and they...whisked off somewhere else where he laid her down on what turned out to be a bed that seemed incredibly soft and left her to wake from an only slightly magical sleep.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Take in return the condition, CHICKEN. Which is what you are Timothy.

    "Really, me ignorant? You'll never learn anything if you are afraid of getting your hands dirty, little boy. Goodness." Annalee takes a screwdriver from a nearby desk and shoves you rudely out of the way so that she can inspect one of the rusted mine panels. Someday you'll get it Tim, but death is not even close to the worst thing that happens here.
    Gladly! Guilty as charged. Lock him up in the chicken coop, far away from here.

    "It's not dirty hands I'm afraid of." Timothy bit his lip. "Just...be careful. Please? Let me know if you need me for anything, and otherwise..."

    He screwed his eyes tight.

    "At least this way, death gets to be a surprise," he muttered. Which was precisely the moment that death grabbed his wrist and yanked him out of the room before he could so much as yelp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [8 on Abyss Gazing.]

    Right now, what I’m looking for—

    I want to see a way to make Timmy see me. Give that to me, at least, veil between this world and the next. How do I get him to pay attention to me?
    There is no “where” or “when” in Death. These are mortal constructs, and there is no need for them here. Death comes within, without, beyond, beside, before, too soon, too late, anytime, anywhere, everywhere, to everyone. The veil is the veil. The other side always beckons. To be noticed, but never looked through. Except you, of course. You’re family. Here you stand, on the barest edge beyond the beyond, the eternal present before you, and what do you see? What do you seek?

    Timothy Oglevee Crompton, of the Wilkenstonshire Cromptons.

    Yes, yes, him. Always him. Always him, scared half to death and staring at death, as if awareness of his end might somehow stave it off. Does it hurt, always looking into his eyes from the other side, and knowing he doesn’t see you? That he can never see you? One step closer, one little finger outstretched to him, and poof! Away he goes, and away you go. Back to the mortal world. Back to no Timothy.

    Come back, Elodie. Come back, Daughter of the Veil. Give it up. Do you honestly think you could ever give him what he longs for? You are Death. Your place is oblivion, and your destiny is the void. What do you know of home? What do you know of the domesticated life? What do you know of quiet coffee after a hard day’s work, of fresh scones on a rainy day, of gardens, of taxes, of tidying up, of dancing, of reading, of the steady comforts and struggles that poor Timothy clings to in his heart of hearts?! You will never be able to provide such things, and he will never accept them from you. Not while you stand ready to usher his soul away like a total weirdo when he dies.

    Unless….

    No.

    You wouldn’t.

    You wouldn’t dare stand between him and the other side. Did not your Father warn you?! Did he not tell you - in great, excruciating detail - what might happen if you played favorites? If you protected some mortal from their doom? Think, Daughter! For a moment, for all that is good and holy and right in the worlds, think! Forget that whenever he’d look to the Veil he’d see you instead. Forget that you’d finally be able to look into each other’s eyes. Forget how easy it’d be to reach out and take him by the hand and kiss his face until all his thoughts are of you. Forget it all! Do this thing, and there’s no telling what disaster you’d unleash onto the world! The rules are there for a reason! Many reasons! And all of them good! If you would just stop and listen

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    The bomb exploded. Elodie was already dashing off, carrying Timothy with her. Which was the sort of thing a traitor does when they don't want to teach a new student a valuable lesson about the importance of death and its place in the universe. Annalee was already determined that the next time she saw Elodie, she'd take full advantage of her for this. And with that not at all vindictive last thought, Annalee was engulfed in a small fireball that took out the nearby table and singed Timothy's socks and the fringes of his shirt even as Elodie was beating a hasty retreat.
    Ball's in your court, Elodie. Where do you do? Where do you take Timothy?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND BEST

    Haha, okay, well, definitely away! Away from the explosion, away from that weight on her heart that’s all heavy and calling her to make a choice about what she wants and who she wants, because, blech, that’s way too much responsibility for right now. She hasn’t even seen a sixth part of all the places she wants to see, or had a tenth part of the experiences she wants to have. Away, dragging Timmy in her wake, up staircases and down passageways and through dressing-rooms and along balconies and across the opera stage on the third floor, and the doors are opening on rooms they don’t normally do because it’s Elodie who’s flinging them open, and it’s only when Timmy bangs his shins in the headlong flight and does that whirlwinding flail of limbs as he tries not to fall flat on his face that she even thinks about stopping.

    So they come to a tangle-up sweat-heaving stop in the tropical heat of the conservatory/tarantula habitat.

    “Y-you all right there, Timmy?” Elodie asks, trying to play off how she totally freaked out there. She pushes her hair back over her ear self-consciously and gives him a goofy little smile, even as she sits down in a tarantula apartment complex. Awwww, look at ‘em! They’re so fuzzy! That one’s eating a pigeon!

    [The dice frown upon me and my tarantulas. 5 on Turning Timmy On.]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    With that, he took Annalee's hand and they...whisked off somewhere else where he laid her down on what turned out to be a bed that seemed incredibly soft and left her to wake from an only slightly magical sleep.
    "Two out of three rules broken in a single exam, along with destroying a valuable battleship egg, a dozen students, and the Newtop Tower," said the pleasant and mild voice of Mr. Burke. Imagine a Welsh pastor who's pleasantly surprised you popped in for an unexpected tea and biscuit. He's dressed like that too.

    He has with him two heavy buckets filled with some of the aformentioned students.

    "Well, not to fret, there's a bright side for everything!" said Mr. Burke. "You could think of it like you made a mistake and are being punished, or," he set the buckets down next to your bed, "you could think of it like you're helping out your good friend with a bothersome job, isn't it?"

    There's only one punishment that Mr. Burke hands out, and it's the worst one in the entire school.

    You're going to have to feed the angel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    So they come to a tangle-up sweat-heaving stop in the tropical heat of the conservatory/tarantula habitat.

    “Y-you all right there, Timmy?” Elodie asks, trying to play off how she totally freaked out there. She pushes her hair back over her ear self-consciously and gives him a goofy little smile, even as she sits down in a tarantula apartment complex. Awwww, look at ‘em! They’re so fuzzy! That one’s eating a pigeon!

    [The dice frown upon me and my tarantulas. 5 on Turning Timmy On.]
    Oh gee they are cute, aren't they? And oh wow, it was really cunning of them to cover that chair with webs, wasn't it? That's pretty sneaky, Mrs. Gumbottles! And, uh, also, you're kind of stuck. Wuh oh.

    Tim, Timothy, Tim-Tim Crompton. I think this is a fairly straight up and down problem. Are you going to go and start plunging your hands into thick, sticky spider webs and potentially get aforementioned spiders all over your body in order to heroically rescue this beautiful damsel? It'll be Keeping Your Cool if you are. Part of the move requires you to name what you're afraid of, so do that while you're at it.

    And that's obviously what you'll do, because to not do that would be unthinkable, surely?
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •