The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 168
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh gee they are cute, aren't they? And oh wow, it was really cunning of them to cover that chair with webs, wasn't it? That's pretty sneaky, Mrs. Gumbottles! And, uh, also, you're kind of stuck. Wuh oh.

    Tim, Timothy, Tim-Tim Crompton. I think this is a fairly straight up and down problem. Are you going to go and start plunging your hands into thick, sticky spider webs and potentially get aforementioned spiders all over your body in order to heroically rescue this beautiful damsel? It'll be Keeping Your Cool if you are. Part of the move requires you to name what you're afraid of, so do that while you're at it.

    And that's obviously what you'll do, because to not do that would be unthinkable, surely?
    Of course! Why would you suggest such a thing? After all, what is Tim most afraid of here?

    Death.

    No, not, like, dying. Death. The Grim Reaper. Father of the student currently stuck in a mess of tarantula webs. Consider for a moment the future in which Timothy pulls off a brave rescue, but perishes in a terrible tarantula tragedy.

    “Well, m’boy, you failed at the last hurdle there, but you saved my daughter from minor inconvenience in the process. Not bad, not bad. Here; have a spot of tea while you wait, we’ll have you back shortly.”

    Now, consider the future where he leaves Elodie to her gross fate. Or worse, he goes to dig her out, lifts her up in his arms, they get stuck together, an embarrassing cross-campus march to the nurse’s office ensues, a horde of gossiping peers spots them, and a firestorm of wild rumors consumes the school; the mortal who dared to brazenly canoodle Death’s Daughter.

    “……”

    Terrible. Just terrible. Unspeakable anger, followed by unspeakable retribution, for which death itself would offer no respite. This is no mere sticky web he’s landed in. It’s a minefield. Suspended in a sticky web. There was only one thing to do in a time like this:

    “Now - alright, hold still - I’ve got my ascot by your left hand, can you reach back and - Left! Left hand! - grab it, and I’ll just, erghh, pull you free, once it’s just - no, hold on, it’s slipped loose again, let me try again -“

    Waffle.

    Waffle for his life.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND BEST

    Sigh. This is really quite unattractive, you know, Timmy. Any strapping young man worth his salt should be an animal lover! Tarantulas are a vital part of the animal kingdom, taking care of all kinds of pests, and they’re all fuzzy and cute and really, they’re just webbing Elodie up because they don’t know what to do with somebody who blundered right into their web! The odds of Timmy being eaten by a Giant Tezcatlipoca Deercatcher are pretty slim, when you think about it!!

    (Which is to say, it’s usually on the other side of the greenhouse at this time of day.)

    “Go get the garden shears,” Elodie says, winsomely, patiently, “and don’t hurt them! They’re just doing their jobs, aren’t you, little guys?” She nuzzles the one sitting on her shoulder with her cheek. “Yes you are! Ooooh, yes you are!”
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Two out of three rules broken in a single exam, along with destroying a valuable battleship egg, a dozen students, and the Newtop Tower," said the pleasant and mild voice of Mr. Burke. Imagine a Welsh pastor who's pleasantly surprised you popped in for an unexpected tea and biscuit. He's dressed like that too.

    He has with him two heavy buckets filled with some of the aformentioned students.

    "Well, not to fret, there's a bright side for everything!" said Mr. Burke. "You could think of it like you made a mistake and are being punished, or," he set the buckets down next to your bed, "you could think of it like you're helping out your good friend with a bothersome job, isn't it?"

    There's only one punishment that Mr. Burke hands out, and it's the worst one in the entire school.

    You're going to have to feed the angel.
    Going to be honest with you here, Annalee's got no clue on this one. Everybody avoids the angel, and last time it wasn't exactly her fault, so she didn't get a major punishment. Death would drop her back asleep though, way to fulfill the exact letter of his contract while making things especially miserable for her.

    Maybe she could get something out of this? Annalee looks at the buckets that Burke handed her, doesn't say anything to him, gives one a little shake to stir it, see what sort of consistency she's dealing with (it's different than her now very much living self, right? Surely Death wouldn't have to double back for her). She shoulders her buckets silently, without a word to Burke and makes he way where she's supposed to go.

    So...what should she have heard about the "Angel" anyway?
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND BEST

    Sigh. This is really quite unattractive, you know, Timmy. Any strapping young man worth his salt should be an animal lover! Tarantulas are a vital part of the animal kingdom, taking care of all kinds of pests, and they’re all fuzzy and cute and really, they’re just webbing Elodie up because they don’t know what to do with somebody who blundered right into their web! The odds of Timmy being eaten by a Giant Tezcatlipoca Deercatcher are pretty slim, when you think about it!!

    (Which is to say, it’s usually on the other side of the greenhouse at this time of day.)

    “Go get the garden shears,” Elodie says, winsomely, patiently, “and don’t hurt them! They’re just doing their jobs, aren’t you, little guys?” She nuzzles the one sitting on her shoulder with her cheek. “Yes you are! Ooooh, yes you are!”
    They are indeed super cute and just doing their jobs, but the quickness with which they're starting to set up for the gag webbing makes you think that somebody has been training them to tie up random girls for some sort of nefarious purpose. Who would do such a thing? Who would see a cute, innocent giant tarantula and have their first thought turn to their use in bondage? This is only partially rhetorical, please tell me about them Elodie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Going to be honest with you here, Annalee's got no clue on this one. Everybody avoids the angel, and last time it wasn't exactly her fault, so she didn't get a major punishment. Death would drop her back asleep though, way to fulfill the exact letter of his contract while making things especially miserable for her.

    Maybe she could get something out of this? Annalee looks at the buckets that Burke handed her, doesn't say anything to him, gives one a little shake to stir it, see what sort of consistency she's dealing with (it's different than her now very much living self, right? Surely Death wouldn't have to double back for her). She shoulders her buckets silently, without a word to Burke and makes he way where she's supposed to go.

    So...what should she have heard about the "Angel" anyway?
    Oh, aha, ah, um, there's a reason why we don't capitalize 'angel' there dearie. He's not the sort of creature anyone would feel comfortable calling an Angel but you wouldn't exactly want to offend him by implying that he's not, either.

    I am hesitating here purely because I do not know how to delicately answer your question. I could answer it in a lot of ways - viscerally, violently, suddenly, invasively, transgressively - but I don't really know which of those you deserve. So why not Gaze into the Abyss a little, and tell me while you're at it tell me a bit about the broken and fearful parts of your soul.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND BEST

    Are you kidding? There’s only one person who would have such a close bond with her spidery kin, such nefarious plots, and a need for damsels in distress! G'eldriia Despana!!

    And before you butt in and say that she can spin her own webs, why do you think mortals domesticated dogs, when they too can run down prey and bite? Dria has got classes to study for, quiz team meets to plan, and that’s without including cheer practice in the mix. She can’t take the time to swaddle up prizes in her webs personally! (“Behind one of these three doors is Elodie Faucher! But behind one is a swarm of killer bees! If you pick one and I open one of the doors that does not have either, should you change your answer?”) Train a pack of tarantulas to kidnap girls, and then all you have to do is check the webs daily, and then either offer them a spot on the team or use them as grand prizes in practice. It’s ingenious!

    But that also means Timmy’s in terrible danger of being pressganged into the quiz bowl team! He’d never have time to hang out with her if that happened! After all, she’s still just second best... which means he has to get out of here immediately!

    Now, if only Elodie had figured that out before the tarantulas had smeared webbing all over her mouth. She’d have to use head motions and very insistent grunts to warn him of the terrible danger he was in, and how he needed to leave now, and not risk getting stuck!!

    I mean, Timmy’s super smart and wouldn’t just assume she’s panicking and blunder right into the webs, right? Right??
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND BEST

    Sigh. This is really quite unattractive, you know, Timmy. Any strapping young man worth his salt should be an animal lover! Tarantulas are a vital part of the animal kingdom, taking care of all kinds of pests, and they’re all fuzzy and cute and really, they’re just webbing Elodie up because they don’t know what to do with somebody who blundered right into their web! The odds of Timmy being eaten by a Giant Tezcatlipoca Deercatcher are pretty slim, when you think about it!!

    (Which is to say, it’s usually on the other side of the greenhouse at this time of day.)

    “Go get the garden shears,” Elodie says, winsomely, patiently, “and don’t hurt them! They’re just doing their jobs, aren’t you, little guys?” She nuzzles the one sitting on her shoulder with her cheek. “Yes you are! Ooooh, yes you are!”
    "Ah, garden shears! Well done!" Why didn't he think of that? Just the thing to extricate her with the lowest possible risk of disaster. And was that a shed over there? Perfect! A quick jog, a quick rummage, and they'd be out of this mess.

    Just so long as Elodie's tarantula affections didn't inspire them to tie her up any tighter, or web up her mouth and potentially suffocate her, or something ludicrous like that to make her panic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND BEST

    Are you kidding? There’s only one person who would have such a close bond with her spidery kin, such nefarious plots, and a need for damsels in distress! G'eldriia Despana!!

    And before you butt in and say that she can spin her own webs, why do you think mortals domesticated dogs, when they too can run down prey and bite? Dria has got classes to study for, quiz team meets to plan, and that’s without including cheer practice in the mix. She can’t take the time to swaddle up prizes in her webs personally! (“Behind one of these three doors is Elodie Faucher! But behind one is a swarm of killer bees! If you pick one and I open one of the doors that does not have either, should you change your answer?”) Train a pack of tarantulas to kidnap girls, and then all you have to do is check the webs daily, and then either offer them a spot on the team or use them as grand prizes in practice. It’s ingenious!

    But that also means Timmy’s in terrible danger of being pressganged into the quiz bowl team! He’d never have time to hang out with her if that happened! After all, she’s still just second best... which means he has to get out of here immediately!

    Now, if only Elodie had figured that out before the tarantulas had smeared webbing all over her mouth. She’d have to use head motions and very insistent grunts to warn him of the terrible danger he was in, and how he needed to leave now, and not risk getting stuck!!

    I mean, Timmy’s super smart and wouldn’t just assume she’s panicking and blunder right into the webs, right? Right??
    Oh no! Elodie's definitely panicking!

    He had to get her out of there, now!

    "Alright! Alright! I've - I've got the shears, just, hold still! All of you!" And Timothy descended upon Death's trapped daughter, striving to cut her loose with extremely sharp and unweildly garden shears, all while she was flailing about and covered in tarantulas.

    What could possibly go wrong?

    [Rolling to Keep Tim's Cool. Timothy is afraid of literally anything that would upset Death vis-a-vis his treatment of Elodie. Roll: 5 + 3 + 1 = 9]
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh, aha, ah, um, there's a reason why we don't capitalize 'angel' there dearie. He's not the sort of creature anyone would feel comfortable calling an Angel but you wouldn't exactly want to offend him by implying that he's not, either.

    I am hesitating here purely because I do not know how to delicately answer your question. I could answer it in a lot of ways - viscerally, violently, suddenly, invasively, transgressively - but I don't really know which of those you deserve. So why not Gaze into the Abyss a little, and tell me while you're at it tell me a bit about the broken and fearful parts of your soul.
    [5+2+1=8 for gazing into the abyss. I'll take lucid visions and the Drained condition.]

    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    Let me tell you some fearful and broken things. First, understand this. Annalee Sokolov has no sense of fairness or justice in her for anyone else. She expects the world to give her what she wants. This isn't an act or just arrogance. She really thinks she deserves everything and it is unfair when the world is against her. Death was unfair just now, petty and vindictive. Burke was being unfair, she'd hardly had control over what death did. The angel was wildly unfair, running the school like it did. She deserved a medal just for enduring this. And it was hard for her to endure all of this. Because even though Annalee could talk a good game and felt entitled to everything she desired, she was very afraid of violence. She had magic, but it was limited, specific, embarrassing, maybe disabling, but it wasn't like having a gun or a club. She was heavier than she wanted to be, not as good-looking, people didn't fawn over her automatically, she had to take it all when she wanted it, and if somebody really fought back and hurt her...she couldn't do anything about that. And that scared her. Not being in control scared her so much. She never wanted to feel that way.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Now, if only Elodie had figured that out before the tarantulas had smeared webbing all over her mouth. She’d have to use head motions and very insistent grunts to warn him of the terrible danger he was in, and how he needed to leave now, and not risk getting stuck!!

    I mean, Timmy’s super smart and wouldn’t just assume she’s panicking and blunder right into the webs, right? Right??
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Oh no! Elodie's definitely panicking!

    He had to get her out of there, now!

    "Alright! Alright! I've - I've got the shears, just, hold still! All of you!" And Timothy descended upon Death's trapped daughter, striving to cut her loose with extremely sharp and unweildly garden shears, all while she was flailing about and covered in tarantulas.

    What could possibly go wrong?

    [Rolling to Keep Tim's Cool. Timothy is afraid of literally anything that would upset Death vis-a-vis his treatment of Elodie. Roll: 5 + 3 + 1 = 9]
    "Such precision," a voice purred directly into your ear, Timothy, as you set the shears against the webbing. "Such smooth, firm, confident motions! And how selfish it would be to keep this talent for yourself - talent like this belongs to the world!"

    And then G'eldriia's fanged maw opens up and presses gently against your shoulder. You can feel the fangs punch through the shoulder of your shirt. Unlike Elodie, she is weirdly good at talking with her mouth full - maybe because her jaw breaks into four segments when she's speaking.

    "Go on," she murmurs. "Show me what you have got."

    So, choices. If you go ahead and save Elodie then you're going to get bitten by a poisonous spidergirl and carried away to participate in some horrible gameshow. Or you could take a dive, throw Elodie under the bus, and be able to go about your day entirely normally without consequences other than raising the personal ire of Death, the Omega, the End of Things.

    Elodie, did you have any muffled words of advice or encouragement for Tim in this situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    [5+2+1=8 for gazing into the abyss. I'll take lucid visions and the Drained condition.]

    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    Let me tell you some fearful and broken things. First, understand this. Annalee Sokolov has no sense of fairness or justice in her for anyone else. She expects the world to give her what she wants. This isn't an act or just arrogance. She really thinks she deserves everything and it is unfair when the world is against her. Death was unfair just now, petty and vindictive. Burke was being unfair, she'd hardly had control over what death did. The angel was wildly unfair, running the school like it did. She deserved a medal just for enduring this. And it was hard for her to endure all of this. Because even though Annalee could talk a good game and felt entitled to everything she desired, she was very afraid of violence. She had magic, but it was limited, specific, embarrassing, maybe disabling, but it wasn't like having a gun or a club. She was heavier than she wanted to be, not as good-looking, people didn't fawn over her automatically, she had to take it all when she wanted it, and if somebody really fought back and hurt her...she couldn't do anything about that. And that scared her. Not being in control scared her so much. She never wanted to feel that way.
    You come to the bedroom of Lord Sleepshy. The old mummy is lying on his back above the covers, pyjamas and conical nightcap with pom-pom accenting him in moth-eaten orange and white. His toothless mouth gapes and you can see the current of air passing through a leather-worn throat that has lost all the meat and muscle that should keep it aloft. Four tall pillars surround his bed, emerald green sheets and rainforest green carpets fill a room with luxurious empty space and magnificent sweeping windows. Here and there in the shadows, technology lurks - as dusty and sophisticated as the paintings. Dialysis machines, heartrate monitors, condescending exercise machines peer out alongside previous Lords Sleepshy in various stages of decay. A grand window, five meters high, captures an endless view of sprawling castle walls, stormy hills, and fog-throttled valleys.

    The rasping, wretched sound of the old man's struggle with breath fills this cavernous space, like the pneumatic pounding of an iron lung. From somewhere a soft, steady beeping in tune with a heartbeat. The acrid chemical scent of disinfectant and too-sweet bubbling of mashed dried bananas hangs like a funeral veil.

    There is no fragility in this room. The presence of death is thick but it does not belong to Lord Sleepshy. Everything here is pumping life into his decrepit veins, horcruxes of science and watercolours. His hands are thick and bony - a young man's hands, spidery and fresh and strong. Now and then as he gapes and grasps at the bedsheets you can see the tendons raised like steel wires.

    The angel hovers above Lord Sleepshy's head, like a thought bubble, or a preacher. It is pencil-scape rough and shudderingly articulated. A tumbleweed formed from the lead shavings of a postal animator. Blonde and raven hair cascades from it in sheets and ruby wading boots keep the piano-time on the fragile chest of Lord Sleepshy. Eyes like saucepans and pupils like bitten apples and eight fingers fit into a glove with room for three. Its tail is black rubber. Its face recalls no animal.

    "feed me" said the angel, breaking itself in half so there was an empty space at its core.

    What do you know about the angel? What can be known about a creature like that? It is no creature of the underworld, beholden to no dark regent, bound by no faerie oath. It travels along strange paths and allows strange ways. It is a manic creature, a violent one, a driven one but also one simple and cruel and carefree - it will abandon its closely held schemes like a rag, though it pulled the world to fulfil them. But the greatest threat it poses is neither its familiarity with or enormous capacity for violence - it is that it considers violence to be funny. It will unleash its power idly and unprovoked for no other reason than the fulfilment of some strange joke or to relieve its boredom - and it can scarcely get through a single conversation without becoming bored.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    Of course she does! Her reassurance is to curl her one free hand up into a fist, and shake it a little to attract his attention. “Don’t worry,” she tries to say. “We’ll beat her up together.”

    However, through several layers of silk, that does sound a whole lot like “don’t hurt me, I’ll tear like a feather.”

    Which might just make Timmy start imagining how furious Death would be if he accidentally ripped His daughter in half with a pair of shaking gardening shears.

    And I mean, really, Elodie probably wants some girl time with Dria! Why else would she be balling up her fist just like a spider’s abdomen? What clever sign language!
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Such precision," a voice purred directly into your ear, Timothy, as you set the shears against the webbing. "Such smooth, firm, confident motions! And how selfish it would be to keep this talent for yourself - talent like this belongs to the world!"

    And then G'eldriia's fanged maw opens up and presses gently against your shoulder. You can feel the fangs punch through the shoulder of your shirt. Unlike Elodie, she is weirdly good at talking with her mouth full - maybe because her jaw breaks into four segments when she's speaking.

    "Go on," she murmurs. "Show me what you have got."

    So, choices. If you go ahead and save Elodie then you're going to get bitten by a poisonous spidergirl and carried away to participate in some horrible gameshow. Or you could take a dive, throw Elodie under the bus, and be able to go about your day entirely normally without consequences other than raising the personal ire of Death, the Omega, the End of Things.

    Elodie, did you have any muffled words of advice or encouragement for Tim in this situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    Of course she does! Her reassurance is to curl her one free hand up into a fist, and shake it a little to attract his attention. “Don’t worry,” she tries to say. “We’ll beat her up together.”

    However, through several layers of silk, that does sound a whole lot like “don’t hurt me, I’ll tear like a feather.”

    Which might just make Timmy start imagining how furious Death would be if he accidentally ripped His daughter in half with a pair of shaking gardening shears.

    And I mean, really, Elodie probably wants some girl time with Dria! Why else would she be balling up her fist just like a spider’s abdomen? What clever sign language!
    Don't be ridiculous. As if he could ever hide behind such an excuse. Everybody knows the sign language for spider is one hand over the other while you wiggle your fingers like spider legs.

    No no, he was on the same page as Elodie, one hundred per cent. She'd gotten him out of a scrape not five minutes ago, right? All he had to do was get her out of this scrape, and she'd get him out of this one, and life would be just peachy. (This was the lie that he told himself to keep from screaming. Golly, he...really could have gone the rest of his life without seeing G'eldriia's jawlines this close. He could have, and now he couldn't, and he felt that loss deeply.) Now if he could just keep her distracted for a few crucial moments, that should help their chances a great deal...

    "I sh-should warn you." That's it, speak easily, calmly. Rationally. Not prey about to make a wild leap for freedom. "Traditionally, that sort of thing is reserved until after dinner, after-dinner activities, and pleasant conversation. And only when the couple is alone." Remember the rules of engagement he'd so closely studied. Let their ironclad surety be his cool resolve. "I-in addition to brazenly skpping the order, I should think this would constitute a clear violation of the First Rule. I say, aren't the first matches of the season due to start soon?" Get her mind on her quiz team. On the closeness of their faces. On the terrible risk of those last, forbidden inches. Anywhere but on his hands, and how they'd been quietly snipping away this whole time. "Is this really the time and place," he murmered. "To explore my talents?"

    ...in his defense, he was much too frightened to realize that was the worst possible thing he could've said.

    [Rolling to Turn G'eldriia On, and -

    Um.

    6 + 5 - 1 = 10

    The dice have spoken, and I take a string on G'eldriia. ]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-08-31 at 02:41 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    Aha! The moment of truth! The vital distraction! And of course Timmy is doing such a fine job of providing such a distraction! Don’t worry, Ellie’s not jealous at all of how Dria gets all that poise and gentlemanlyness out of him!

    Elodie explodes out of the webs, trailing tarantulas, and socks Dria right in the face! Okay, so maybe she’s likely to bite down in shock, but it’s just as likely she’ll let go of Timmy in shock, right?

    [4 on Lashing Out!]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The angel hovers above Lord Sleepshy's head, like a thought bubble, or a preacher. It is pencil-scape rough and shudderingly articulated. A tumbleweed formed from the lead shavings of a postal animator. Blonde and raven hair cascades from it in sheets and ruby wading boots keep the piano-time on the fragile chest of Lord Sleepshy. Eyes like saucepans and pupils like bitten apples and eight fingers fit into a glove with room for three. Its tail is black rubber. Its face recalls no animal.

    "feed me" said the angel, breaking itself in half so there was an empty space at its core.

    What do you know about the angel? What can be known about a creature like that? It is no creature of the underworld, beholden to no dark regent, bound by no faerie oath. It travels along strange paths and allows strange ways. It is a manic creature, a violent one, a driven one but also one simple and cruel and carefree - it will abandon its closely held schemes like a rag, though it pulled the world to fulfil them. But the greatest threat it poses is neither its familiarity with or enormous capacity for violence - it is that it considers violence to be funny. It will unleash its power idly and unprovoked for no other reason than the fulfilment of some strange joke or to relieve its boredom - and it can scarcely get through a single conversation without becoming bored.
    "Fine, that's what I came here for, no need to get in such a huff" Annalee says.

    Alright, the angel is dangerous and violent, and so everyone acts timid around it because they are afraid of its danger and violence. Annalee is too, and maybe if you were paying attention, you'd notice a bit of a quiver in her voice and some unsteadiness in the arms holding the buckets. But she's guessing the angel doesn't notice those things and that it's very bored of people who do nothing but cry and kowtow and beg it for mercy. At best they come up with some very slightly original language in their begging, and after hundreds of years, even that's going to be stretched thin. So, she puts on an act, the act that she always puts on because it's a damn good act and it's interesting.

    "Goodness" she says, hefting the first bucket deliberately in two hands to prevent any quivering. "You've really got the whole place worked up over you. No sleeping at all, and people dismantling mines. I bet you didn't even come up with that one." She walks over, takes her time, looks around the room, and casually throws the contents of the bucket into the thing's open maw. Drops that, just leaves it right in the middle of the floor like somebody else will clean up after her and goes to fetch the other one. "You ever think of relaxing the rules around here? Or even better, get Tim to teach a class, he actually knows how regular people live, it would be a total hit" (unsaid because Tim is a huge pushover). "And maybe let us sleep a bit around here while you're at it, everybody does it all the time anyway, and frankly if we actually tried to follow the rule, we'd all just drop out in the middle of the rooms anyway." She finishes tossing the last bucket, drops that and turns to leave the room, her work done. Maybe it will even deign to answer, but she's not going to wait up for it.

    [Rolling to keep cool. Got a 3+5+2=10. Annalee is terribly afraid that she's actually going to piss the thing off and have it go berserk in some way, but she seems to be carrying this off pretty well.]
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "I sh-should warn you." That's it, speak easily, calmly. Rationally. Not prey about to make a wild leap for freedom. "Traditionally, that sort of thing is reserved until after dinner, after-dinner activities, and pleasant conversation. And only when the couple is alone." Remember the rules of engagement he'd so closely studied. Let their ironclad surety be his cool resolve. "I-in addition to brazenly skpping the order, I should think this would constitute a clear violation of the First Rule. I say, aren't the first matches of the season due to start soon?" Get her mind on her quiz team. On the closeness of their faces. On the terrible risk of those last, forbidden inches. Anywhere but on his hands, and how they'd been quietly snipping away this whole time. "Is this really the time and place," he murmered. "To explore my talents?"

    ...in his defense, he was much too frightened to realize that was the worst possible thing he could've said.

    [Rolling to Turn G'eldriia On, and -

    Um.

    6 + 5 - 1 = 10

    The dice have spoken, and I take a string on G'eldriia. ]
    Are you a snake charmer, Timothy? Or whatever the spider version of that is? A spider seducer, say? That's the feeling you get from the increasing stillness and fascination as half a dozen eyes follow your gestures fixatedly. Lingering on the firmness of your hands, the way your uniform falls back from your forearms to reveal your biceps... the way a little bit of drool is starting to soak into your collar...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    Aha! The moment of truth! The vital distraction! And of course Timmy is doing such a fine job of providing such a distraction! Don’t worry, Ellie’s not jealous at all of how Dria gets all that poise and gentlemanlyness out of him!

    Elodie explodes out of the webs, trailing tarantulas, and socks Dria right in the face! Okay, so maybe she’s likely to bite down in shock, but it’s just as likely she’ll let go of Timmy in shock, right?

    [4 on Lashing Out!]
    You strike the distracted Dria directly on the head and, yes indeed, her teeth sink all the way into Timothy's shoulder. This isn't the nice gentle graze of poison that knocks a person out - this is the full, lethal dose. Dria steps back shaking her head wildly while the colour starts to drain from Tim's face.

    Oh dear. Oh dear. You're suddenly in a professional situation. You are the Reaper Attending. It is your duty to guide this wayward soul into the afterlife.

    Tell me what that means, Elodie - and have no doubt your father will be watching.

    Tim, you're dying for real. Don't worry! It feels super cozy and warm - right up until the moment it doesn't. This can't be your first time, can it? Tell us about your last go around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "Fine, that's what I came here for, no need to get in such a huff" Annalee says.

    Alright, the angel is dangerous and violent, and so everyone acts timid around it because they are afraid of its danger and violence. Annalee is too, and maybe if you were paying attention, you'd notice a bit of a quiver in her voice and some unsteadiness in the arms holding the buckets. But she's guessing the angel doesn't notice those things and that it's very bored of people who do nothing but cry and kowtow and beg it for mercy. At best they come up with some very slightly original language in their begging, and after hundreds of years, even that's going to be stretched thin. So, she puts on an act, the act that she always puts on because it's a damn good act and it's interesting.

    "Goodness" she says, hefting the first bucket deliberately in two hands to prevent any quivering. "You've really got the whole place worked up over you. No sleeping at all, and people dismantling mines. I bet you didn't even come up with that one." She walks over, takes her time, looks around the room, and casually throws the contents of the bucket into the thing's open maw. Drops that, just leaves it right in the middle of the floor like somebody else will clean up after her and goes to fetch the other one. "You ever think of relaxing the rules around here? Or even better, get Tim to teach a class, he actually knows how regular people live, it would be a total hit" (unsaid because Tim is a huge pushover). "And maybe let us sleep a bit around here while you're at it, everybody does it all the time anyway, and frankly if we actually tried to follow the rule, we'd all just drop out in the middle of the rooms anyway." She finishes tossing the last bucket, drops that and turns to leave the room, her work done. Maybe it will even deign to answer, but she's not going to wait up for it.

    [Rolling to keep cool. Got a 3+5+2=10. Annalee is terribly afraid that she's actually going to piss the thing off and have it go berserk in some way, but she seems to be carrying this off pretty well.]
    "ha ha," said the angel, putting a severed arm into its mouth - and spitting out the bones a moment later. "mr crompton as a teacher! ha ha ha! i bet he would be very good at it!" more meat. More chewing with the creature's entire face; the kind of chewing where eyebrows ripple. "i'd love to help you with the sleeping, really, i would," it races on stubby legs around in front of you to take hold of your wrists and show you its smile. "but you have to understand that poor lord sleepshy is very sensitive and you wouldn't believe the dreams he gets when he hears other people sleeping. you know that's what causes sleepwalking? it is true! you should know by now what kind of things can find you i n y o u r d r e a m s."

    It turns its head downwards to huck the last few bones onto the carpet.

    "please pick these up," said the angel. "and get them down to the infirmary. and in fact, you should stay there and watch what happens! it is valuable real world knowledge to know which bone connects to the other bones. just the sort of thing that makes people productive members of society."
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    “No! No! Absolutely not! This isn’t fair!” Elodie desperately tries to provide CPR, only succeeding in breaking a few ribs and hastening Timmy on his way.

    Can you see her, Timmy? Truly see her? Blazing blue lights set in her mask-like face, serene and crowned with dead flowers and, yes, pink hair trailing off into forever? Isn’t she horrifying? What a freak, putting on a human costume in order to play around with the likes of you.

    Elodie, Aristi Cthonia Neotera, stamps her foot, and it echoes in the vast and yawning world beyond.

    “Timmy,” she says, her mouth not moving, and there is a deathly reverb to the name, and a howling of some subterranean chorus, “don’t worry! I’ll just stay here with you until the angel comes to pick you up, a-and, you’ll only be a little bit faded, you’ll probably be fine, no going mad here! Who’s mad? I’m not! You’re not!”

    There’s a reason that you’re supposed to guide ghosts on. Lots of reasons. If you let them get lost, they can fall prey to... let’s call them spiritual predators. If you ignore them, they start to lose track of who they were, everything sloughing off their strongest obsession or memory. Why do you think ghosts repeat themselves so often, coming back to the same place or saying the same thing? It’s all they remember.

    But don’t worry! Don’t worry! Everything is going to be fine, as long as you don’t panic and run off, and the angel shows up to collect you and take you back!

    Which, he can, right? He can totally show up on the other side, right?? That’s part and parcel of being a weird angel who won’t let anybody stay dead!!
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    Annalee nods. She's feeling more than a little tired, in all honesty. Carrying buckets, doing manual labor. She's not making great time picking up the bones, but she's also got no reason to disobey the angel now. She's done the feeding, just need to grab a bucket, stumble over to the bones and get out of there and she could go somewhere. Well, certainly not sleep, perish the thought...literally. But she could go and relax somewhere, get her thoughts in order and get ready for the next set of classes. That sounded excellent. Maybe she'd review her various tokens, see if there were any interesting workings she could do. Bones from a classmate sounded like an excellent mystical connection for that matter. None of them would notice if she took a little chip off one, right? Right. Exactly. So that is the plan. Gather bones, exit room in haste, take them to the infirmary, pocket a bone chip while she's there, watch the magic happen.

    That's an entirely reasonable and easy to execute plan that encounters no complications, right?
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Are you a snake charmer, Timothy? Or whatever the spider version of that is? A spider seducer, say? That's the feeling you get from the increasing stillness and fascination as half a dozen eyes follow your gestures fixatedly. Lingering on the firmness of your hands, the way your uniform falls back from your forearms to reveal your biceps... the way a little bit of drool is starting to soak into your collar...
    In past dealings with Dria, she had never looked at him. She saw him, yes. But her attention was on her webs. Her schemes. The countless threads she'd laid out. Waiting for one of them to pull tight around him, binding him to her roster forever.

    This

    was a unique way to be looked at.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    You strike the distracted Dria directly on the head and, yes indeed, her teeth sink all the way into Timothy's shoulder. This isn't the nice gentle graze of poison that knocks a person out - this is the full, lethal dose. Dria steps back shaking her head wildly while the colour starts to drain from Tim's face.

    Tim, you're dying for real. Don't worry! It feels super cozy and warm - right up until the moment it doesn't. This can't be your first time, can it? Tell us about your last go around.
    A pity he didn't have long to think about it. Or much of anything, really. Perhaps it was a mercy, that.

    Last time he'd died was due to a series of poor judgement calls. He had thought the noise he'd heard was a student in the clutches of a terrible monster. He had thought he was far enough away to safely see what had happened. He had thought the moon wasn't to be full until the next evening.

    The werewolf? Well, it's hard to say what she thought. One would hope she thought her hammer throw would have tossed Timothy across the room, instead of through the far wall and off the side of the building. One would hope. That time, Timothy got a long, painful drop to contemplate what was about to happen, and a plethora of nightmares to follow.

    This time, though...

    “Oh, fiddleshtxschchxxcshhcshx.” Timothy said, as his tongue, face, and brain went numb. He wound up on the floor - no telling how - wrapped in a thick, cozy warmth that made it quite difficult to put his thoughts together; how comfortable! Up until the point when he suddenly couldn't breath, something broke several ribs, and he choked to death. That was less comfortable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    “No! No! Absolutely not! This isn’t fair!” Elodie desperately tries to provide CPR, only succeeding in breaking a few ribs and hastening Timmy on his way.

    Can you see her, Timmy? Truly see her? Blazing blue lights set in her mask-like face, serene and crowned with dead flowers and, yes, pink hair trailing off into forever? Isn’t she horrifying? What a freak, putting on a human costume in order to play around with the likes of you.

    Elodie, Aristi Cthonia Neotera, stamps her foot, and it echoes in the vast and yawning world beyond.

    “Timmy,” she says, her mouth not moving, and there is a deathly reverb to the name, and a howling of some subterranean chorus, “don’t worry! I’ll just stay here with you until the angel comes to pick you up, a-and, you’ll only be a little bit faded, you’ll probably be fine, no going mad here! Who’s mad? I’m not! You’re not!”

    There’s a reason that you’re supposed to guide ghosts on. Lots of reasons. If you let them get lost, they can fall prey to... let’s call them spiritual predators. If you ignore them, they start to lose track of who they were, everything sloughing off their strongest obsession or memory. Why do you think ghosts repeat themselves so often, coming back to the same place or saying the same thing? It’s all they remember.

    But don’t worry! Don’t worry! Everything is going to be fine, as long as you don’t panic and run off, and the angel shows up to collect you and take you back!

    Which, he can, right? He can totally show up on the other side, right?? That’s part and parcel of being a weird angel who won’t let anybody stay dead!!
    And then it was all gone.

    Or rather, he was gone. But you can miss that sort of thing when you’re in a mortal panic. The sudden stillness. The forgetting. The creeping feeling that things are not right, and you are not right. He would’ve screamed, had he not been so busy gasping for air. No, no, the screams started when he saw the nightmare Elodie hovering over him, speaking like the real Elodie, but her voice was all wrong, and he was lost and wanted to run, but try as he might he couldn’t remember where he was or how to escape and this was all wrong, all wrong!

    "Elodie! Elodie, what's happened to you?" What are you saying?! Backpedal, man, backpedal! Before she eats your heart! "N-not that it's a bad happened...to you. Why, you look a queen!" Good! Keep going! "A queen...in a bright sunflower hoodie. I've never seen any queens in hoodies before, but it's very you! If you were a queen, I might just picture it like that, with the sunflowers and the flower crown and the hair - I-it just flows on and on, doesn't it? Wow...yes. There it goes. And, and, have you ever seen such a blue before? I, well, I don't know if you can see your own eyes, but, p-please, trust me, I've never seen anything like it, and oh gosh, oh heavens, Elodie, where have we gone I can't walk I can't go anywhere, there's something terribly wrong and I can't, I can't remember it at all, and, and, please Elly!"

    "Please..." He reached helplessly into the dark.

    Straining to find her hand.

    "Help me!"

    [Rolling to Turn Elodie On with some Mixed Messages, Two Eyes active: 3 + 1 + 4 = 8 Your choice, Elly]

    EDIT: While we're here, why don't you tell us a bit about what Timothy looks like as a ghost? Do all ghosts look the same?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-09-02 at 09:54 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    Ghost science is very weird! Nobody knows why, say, some people turn into ghosts like they looked like at the moment they died, some people turn into ghosts like their strongest memories of themselves, and some people turn into ghosts with bleeding horse heads and hooks for hands. It is a myyyyyystery!

    What’s also mysterious is why you, Timothy Oglevee Crompton, look like yourself, but without your glasses, and with the cutest most darling little sheep ears and tail. Okay, it’s not that much of a mystery. It’s just revealing your INNER PSYCHE. Baaaaaa.

    “Timmy,” Elodie says, placing one gauntleted thumb on your lips, which is totally where you want ice-cold metals from the depths of Stygia. “I promise I’m going to make this okay.”

    And she’s going to do it without tapping into her psychopomp powers, Dad. She takes him by the hand and drags him along, looking for a sepulchral door to use her knocking powers on (in a way that’s totally not Psychopompy) and then she’ll take the ghost back through and stick Timmy back inside his mortal shell and paper it over with metaphysical duct tape!

    It’s okay! She can balance the promise she has just made to Timmy, one which will weigh upon the scales of her very soul until it is done, with her strong personal decision not to be a psychopomp despite being in a situation where doing psychopomp things would fix the situation very, very easily.

    But that’s okay! This hack way will totally work just as well.

    (This is going to be a disaster.)
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    Ghost science is very weird! Nobody knows why, say, some people turn into ghosts like they looked like at the moment they died, some people turn into ghosts like their strongest memories of themselves, and some people turn into ghosts with bleeding horse heads and hooks for hands. It is a myyyyyystery!

    What’s also mysterious is why you, Timothy Oglevee Crompton, look like yourself, but without your glasses, and with the cutest most darling little sheep ears and tail. Okay, it’s not that much of a mystery. It’s just revealing your INNER PSYCHE. Baaaaaa.

    “Timmy,” Elodie says, placing one gauntleted thumb on your lips, which is totally where you want ice-cold metals from the depths of Stygia. “I promise I’m going to make this okay.”

    And she’s going to do it without tapping into her psychopomp powers, Dad. She takes him by the hand and drags him along, looking for a sepulchral door to use her knocking powers on (in a way that’s totally not Psychopompy) and then she’ll take the ghost back through and stick Timmy back inside his mortal shell and paper it over with metaphysical duct tape!

    It’s okay! She can balance the promise she has just made to Timmy, one which will weigh upon the scales of her very soul until it is done, with her strong personal decision not to be a psychopomp despite being in a situation where doing psychopomp things would fix the situation very, very easily.

    But that’s okay! This hack way will totally work just as well.

    (This is going to be a disaster.)
    Silence descended on the pair as they floated through oblivion. Was it an awkward silence? Uncomfortable, stifling, unsettling silence? One of those moments where all the individuals involved feel that somebody ought to say something, but none of them know what exactly it is, only that they know everybody knows something ought to be said?

    Timothy was a ghost, though he hadn’t caught up on that point. Ghosts have a hard time holding onto their thoughts. Thoughts that weren’t held weren’t inclined - much like ghosts - to move on to other, bigger thoughts. He hadn’t said anything, but what of it? Was that important? Was that wrong? He couldn’t say.

    Timothy was a sheepish ghost, and he definitely hadn’t caught up on that point. (His ears kept anxiously perking up in a most adorable fashion.) Sheep were quite content to follow wherever a relatively safe-looking, competent individual would lead. Queens were relatively safe. Queens were capable.

    Elodie’s gauntlet-clad hand was cold. Not the most pleasant thing to hold onto, but better than nothing. Gosh, so much better than Nothing. It was Real, and there were few things like that in this place. A frightened sheep boy in ghastly circumstances learns not to be too picky when counting blessings.

    This place was still. And for the first time in a while - as far as a ghost can even remember - Timothy was still too.

    And perhaps that was okay.

    What of you, Elodie? How fare you on this silent stroll, hand-in-hand with Timothy?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    Annalee nods. She's feeling more than a little tired, in all honesty. Carrying buckets, doing manual labor. She's not making great time picking up the bones, but she's also got no reason to disobey the angel now. She's done the feeding, just need to grab a bucket, stumble over to the bones and get out of there and she could go somewhere. Well, certainly not sleep, perish the thought...literally. But she could go and relax somewhere, get her thoughts in order and get ready for the next set of classes. That sounded excellent. Maybe she'd review her various tokens, see if there were any interesting workings she could do. Bones from a classmate sounded like an excellent mystical connection for that matter. None of them would notice if she took a little chip off one, right? Right. Exactly. So that is the plan. Gather bones, exit room in haste, take them to the infirmary, pocket a bone chip while she's there, watch the magic happen.

    That's an entirely reasonable and easy to execute plan that encounters no complications, right?
    The Infirmary is run by the infamous Doctor Worm - or as the full list of titles carved into the thick pane of bulletproof glass would have it, Reporter Dr. Mr. Mrs. PhD. Esquire Keeper of the Swans Obsidian Medchanoid. They like collecting titles.

    No medical mind in the world would be intelligent enough to remember the full list of possible ailments, mundane and supernatural, which could stand to afflict students of Sleepshy Rise. How does a werewolf bite interact with a selkie in molt? How does one surgically re-implant vampire teeth that have been cursed to fall out? Not only do these problems have to be solved, they have to be solved in such a way that does not include any possibility of death. No individual could handle the task. Which is why Doctor Worm is six to eight individuals! Doctors, mad scientists, necromancers - everything the role requires!

    (Honestly, the journalism degree-brain is an indulgence that is not necessary to the fulfilment of Doctor Worm's job, but sometimes you have to do something for you, you know?)

    They are plated in brass; a light and freshly polished warm brown colour, set with a hundred small blue lights along its length. A network of a dozen eye lenses glows from its face, behind which brain matter is crammed in far too densely in a space made to occupy only one brain, two at the most. Two stubby dinosaur-like multitiool forearms clink and clean each other like a fly washing its forelimbs. It has tucked a card reading PRESS awkwardly into the space behind one of its cooling vents.

    On the slab behind it is Timothy. Stone dead.

    "Good evening, Ms. Annalee," said Doctor Worm, dripping condensation. Their cooling unit is constantly on the verge of failure due to the cranial store being so dramatically over-capacity. "Do you have any tips regarding the detonation that rocked the school recently?"
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    Ahahahahaha who’s panicking? Elodie’s not panicking! Everything is under control! Under better circumstances, she’d be enjoying walking with Timmy, just the two of them, alone, especially since he didn’t seem to be scared of her underworld form. Under these circumstances, though? She just feels horribly guilty and has “don’t creep on Timmy” on a loop in her head. Ghost consent is extremely convoluted and complicated, especially with the power dynamic in play, gosh!

    When she makes out with Timmy, and she’s totally gonna, she wants it to be full of life. She wants him to surprise her, a thing he’s totally capable of doing! She wants him to be awed by the flowers she gives him, and to offer her his life in the form of kisses and squeezes and affirmations that, yes, she’s pretty, she’s alive, she’s worth spending time with, she’s not too awkward and bubbly and clearly a psychopomp. She wants him to treat her like one of his human girls, ordinary and adorable and kissable.

    Do you know how many kisses psychopomps get?

    NOT! FREAKING! MANY!
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Good evening, Ms. Annalee," said Doctor Worm, dripping condensation. Their cooling unit is constantly on the verge of failure due to the cranial store being so dramatically over-capacity. "Do you have any tips regarding the detonation that rocked the school recently?"
    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    "Oh yes, it was a tragic accident. Timothy was in charge of the operation, but he flatly refused to lend us his expertise and as soon as I touched it, the whole thing exploded. Personally, considering how quickly he and Elodie fled the scene, I'm of a mind that he sabotaged it with his tinkering. But I suppose he could have just been entirely incompetent."

    Annalee gives Doctor Worm a shrug that says I'm too tired to be properly outraged and drops off her bones. He seems to be watching too closely for her to steal any shavings just now, so she simply sets them down. "Why isn't he back yet, though? Or is that just an old version of his body?"
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..."

    Oh, it looks like a thought's finally gained some purchase. And, as you say, ghost science is very weird. Ghost communication science weirder still. But anybody listening to that bleat would say, "That's one trepidatious sheep you've got there, yessir yessir. Just packed with uncertainty over its life and/or future."

    "Am I going to stay here?" Timothy asked, turning those plain-as-mud eyes towards (but not quite on) Elodie.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-09-05 at 12:36 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    "Oh yes, it was a tragic accident. Timothy was in charge of the operation, but he flatly refused to lend us his expertise and as soon as I touched it, the whole thing exploded. Personally, considering how quickly he and Elodie fled the scene, I'm of a mind that he sabotaged it with his tinkering. But I suppose he could have just been entirely incompetent."

    Annalee gives Doctor Worm a shrug that says I'm too tired to be properly outraged and drops off her bones. He seems to be watching too closely for her to steal any shavings just now, so she simply sets them down. "Why isn't he back yet, though? Or is that just an old version of his body?"
    "Fas-cin-at-ing," said Doctor Worm, leaning over the body. "A mind like that? A technician or saboteur? Perhaps I should make room for some of his brain..."

    The good doctor began picking bones one by one out of the bucket and started to lay them out on the slabs. "I do not understand what the issue is with the revival. I have attached the electrodes and engaged the serums and I am not receiving any panoptic feedback. I suspect the issue is spiritual. Perhaps he is attempting to form into a ghost, or otherwise being improperly spiritually guided?"

    They slithered about to fix you with a dozen eyes. "Perhaps I could have you pop over to the other side to check on him?"
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND PLACE.

    “No! No, you are not!” Okay, that was definitely a deathly shriek. Maybe a little banshee in there? Her serene stone face never moves. Her lips are set in a knowing, subtle smile.

    Oh, look! We’ve arrived! It’s a door! Okay, it’s three pillars leaning on each other perilously, but it’s a doorway, it’s a liminal space, it counts!

    She knocks on one of the pillars, and the black beyond gets even blacker and deeper and more perilous. And she takes Timmy’s hand, before realizing that holding hands with someone as they pass from death’s doorstep is such a psychopomp thing to do.

    So she shoves her crush through instead, and then casually happens to follow him.

    [10 on Through the Looking Glass. Technically I’m only supposed to use this to go to supernatural worlds, so I am open to more MC interference than usual on this move.]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [X]: SECOND PLACE.

    “No! No, you are not!” Okay, that was definitely a deathly shriek. Maybe a little banshee in there? Her serene stone face never moves. Her lips are set in a knowing, subtle smile.
    Oh buns, oh snip and snapple, oh jimminies that was wrong. He did it wrong. Oh no they were holding hands. Oh no he couldn't get away. He was trapped. Trapped! Appeasement! Appeasement!!!

    "Good! Good. I never wanted to stay anyway, so that's good. We're good here. Yes we are." His ears trembled. He hoped it helped his case, terrible as it was. Couldn't he do any better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Oh, look! We’ve arrived! It’s a door! Okay, it’s three pillars leaning on each other perilously, but it’s a doorway, it’s a liminal space, it counts!

    She knocks on one of the pillars, and the black beyond gets even blacker and deeper and more perilous. And she takes Timmy’s hand, before realizing that holding hands with someone as they pass from death’s doorstep is such a psychopomp thing to do.
    "And I didn't want to stay because...because..." Timothy's eyes grew distant as the deepening black. "There was something - I know there was - something still to do. Something that couldn't be done here."

    "Something...with someone-"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    So she shoves her crush through instead, and then casually happens to follow him.
    And that is the last word he spoke before he was flung into the inky abyss with a startled "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    They slithered about to fix you with a dozen eyes. "Perhaps I could have you pop over to the other side to check on him?"
    "Uh, is that a euphemism for killing me? I'm really not up for that right now, thanks but no thanks, back to my studies and hard work, that sort of thing, good night and no thanks. But uh, if you've got some tips on how to do proper astral projection, while remaining alive the entire time, I could maybe be persuaded to help out."

    Learning new magic was always exciting, and the doctor was both a man of science and of the need for information to be shared (why else would he get a press badge if not to report on things worth reporting on?), so Annalee really, really hoped his plan wasn't just to murder her for science.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "Uh, is that a euphemism for killing me? I'm really not up for that right now, thanks but no thanks, back to my studies and hard work, that sort of thing, good night and no thanks. But uh, if you've got some tips on how to do proper astral projection, while remaining alive the entire time, I could maybe be persuaded to help out."

    Learning new magic was always exciting, and the doctor was both a man of science and of the need for information to be shared (why else would he get a press badge if not to report on things worth reporting on?), so Annalee really, really hoped his plan wasn't just to murder her for science.
    "Astral projection would indeed make a good addition to your skillset," thought Doctor Worm, dissection blades emerging from their carapace. "But right now we must be expedient. The patient's spiritual wellbeing is at risk. Do not worry, this will not hurt a b-"

    There is a dramatic gasp as Timothy Crompton returns to the land of the living and - carrying some sort of unknown momentum - falls from the mortuary slab onto the cold stone below. After a tasteful pause, Elodie happens to turn up as well.

    Doctor Worm sighed and withdrew their blades. "Delayed reaction. Mildly interesting. Good evening, Ms. Elodie. Behold for I have once again spat in the tyrant eye of your father and all that."
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    Annalee takes a step back from Doctor Worm, then another. She' was about to protest when...suddenly Tim and Elodie showed up. And she was not having it. "Oh, for the devil of...Elodie, were you supposed to do this one? I got your Dad, who was so not into it and then you nearly got me stabbed because you can't handle one regular mortal soul yourself? That is just, like, so pathetic."
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [x]: SECOND PLACE

    “I was not,” Elodie says, smoothing out her skirt. “Because all deaths are my Dad’s responsibility. I just happened to find Timmy and get him out before Dad showed up! And, oh, hello, I’m so sorry, it’s nice to meet you again, Doctor Worm!”

    Doctor Worm is her favorite staff member! They’re all so nice and interesting and good at keeping people alive! Clearly the bestest. She fishes yet another charm bracelet out of her sweater pocket and hooks it around one of Doctor Worm’s manipulators, bringing the charm bracelet count up to seven.

    “Anyway,” she says, oh so sweetly, “you probably deserve to be stabbed!! For being a dumbhead!”

    [6 on Shutting Annalee Down, even with the +1 for hitting Ignorant.]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [x]: COWARD

    "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

    His return to the land of the living was as jarring as his departure. (And didn't that make sense, in hindsight? Of course he'd been dead. How could he have ever, ever forgotten such a place?) Why, he needed a few moments just to reassure himself he was back, well and truly back. He felt...fuzzy? No, that wasn't it. Slow? Dozy? Out of sorts? Never mind the adjectives, where was he? Whatever was happening?

    Timothy peeked over the stone slab at the approaching stormfront. There was Annie, fresh from her run-in with a mine, left alone to die horribly while he escaped (momentarily) clean. There was Elodie, back from the land of the dead, minus the wailing chorus, flaming eyes, and immovable smile. There was Doctor Worm, sorting through a pile of moderately-detonated bones that would soon become a dozen or two cranky students. All of whom would have a vested interest in finding their killer, and reminding them how little they stood for That Sort of Thing.

    Timothy decided to get a head start on writing that vivisection report.

    [Rolling to Run Away! That's a 6 + 5 + 2 = 13! Get the poor boy out of there!]
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •