The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 164
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    [x]: SECOND PLACE

    “I was not,” Elodie says, smoothing out her skirt. “Because all deaths are my Dad’s responsibility. I just happened to find Timmy and get him out before Dad showed up! And, oh, hello, I’m so sorry, it’s nice to meet you again, Doctor Worm!”

    Doctor Worm is her favorite staff member! They’re all so nice and interesting and good at keeping people alive! Clearly the bestest. She fishes yet another charm bracelet out of her sweater pocket and hooks it around one of Doctor Worm’s manipulators, bringing the charm bracelet count up to seven.

    “Anyway,” she says, oh so sweetly, “you probably deserve to be stabbed!! For being a dumbhead!”

    [6 on Shutting Annalee Down, even with the +1 for hitting Ignorant.]
    So Tim, as soon as you come to you're struck by just how... composed Annalee looks. Elodie is flying off the handle, just like she has been all day (or whatever Elodie-adjacent monster psychopomped you through the underworld). Annalee died just as legitimately as you did, but she's already back and back to herself and is dealing with the whole thing like it's nothing at all. You wish you could be that collected.

    [Annalee, take a string on Tim]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    [x]: COWARD

    "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

    His return to the land of the living was as jarring as his departure. (And didn't that make sense, in hindsight? Of course he'd been dead. How could he have ever, ever forgotten such a place?) Why, he needed a few moments just to reassure himself he was back, well and truly back. He felt...fuzzy? No, that wasn't it. Slow? Dozy? Out of sorts? Never mind the adjectives, where was he? Whatever was happening?

    Timothy peeked over the stone slab at the approaching stormfront. There was Annie, fresh from her run-in with a mine, left alone to die horribly while he escaped (momentarily) clean. There was Elodie, back from the land of the dead, minus the wailing chorus, flaming eyes, and immovable smile. There was Doctor Worm, sorting through a pile of moderately-detonated bones that would soon become a dozen or two cranky students. All of whom would have a vested interest in finding their killer, and reminding them how little they stood for That Sort of Thing.

    Timothy decided to get a head start on writing that vivisection report.

    [Rolling to Run Away! That's a 6 + 5 + 2 = 13! Get the poor boy out of there!]
    Up! Up the stairs you go! Some might say that running up to the top of a tower is a bad escape route but those people don't have enough experience about what lurks underneath. Up to the top, up the ladder, slamming each door behind you and finally coming out of breath to the very top of Castle Sleepshy.

    The sun is out for a change. You have a beautiful view of the sleepy English countryside. Herds of sheep move in the distance like mobile rock formations and small channels of smoke waft above the picturesque little town and its adjacent gardens. Wild horses prance through forests of low shrubs. All of the monsters are locked up below and for a moment you can just catch your breath and process.

    [You can clear Coward as a result of this]
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    DRAINED
    IGNORANT

    "Well, Timmy is alive. And gone. What in hell's name did you do to him, Elodie?" Annalee just shakes her head and makes to leave the infirmary. Doctor Worm is lovely, but she is tired and she needs to find a place to sleep that won't get her detention. Or at least a place to be calm for a time. You can tell, Elodie, that Annalee doesn't have quite the same fight in her as earlier. This is more disbelief and resignation, she's not going to go into a game of taunting you or pressing you, she's just exclaiming and making ready to depart.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    [X]: SECOND PLACE

    “I didn’t do anything, Annalee,” Elodie retorts at Annalee’s retreating back, realizing too late that that’s exactly what a loser would say. “I just helped him find his way back here, that’s all! Anybody would have done that!!”

    Unspoken, but screamed: I’M NOT A PSYCHOPOMP!
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh

    Timothy dared to lift his head and peek. Was...was nobody following him? No ghouls after the scent of racing blood? No ghosts to torment an innocent soul? No, nothing at all. The weather was calm. The air was still. It was just...pleasant. A pleasant afternoon.

    He didn’t know whether to cry from relief or despair. A normal afternoon - no, a normal few minutes was cause for celebration? Had he really been here that long? Maybe he ought to say he’d only been here that long. Every day was like a year in this dreadful place. How it was possible to fit so much misery in twenty-four hours was beyond him. If it really was twenty-four hours; who knew how monsters tracked the days?

    He pulled his legs up to his chest and hugged them tight, absently watching the countryside. The herds of sheep ambled about like ground-bound clouds, drifting this way and that as the shepherds directed. A braver student might’ve taken the opportunity to figure out what this meant for the coming days. Let the countryside occupy his eyes, leaving his brain free to make sense of the last few hours.

    Timothy played at finding shapes in the sheep herds (ooh, was that a dog?) rather than do anything as foolish as that. He didn’t need to think about Ge’ldria, because he was never going to join her club anyway, and if he ever saw spiders again he’d turn and run the other way. Nothing but trouble to be had with her, so he’d have nothing to do with her, so there. (That one looks more like a boat.) And while he wasn’t thinking of her, he might as well not be thinking of anything she might’ve done to him too. Or anything he might’ve seen afterwards. Instead, why not think of all the other times he’d seen Elodie? (Was it cheating to say bush? Sheep were practically half-bush to start with…) When he put it like that, he had lots of memories of a normal Elodie, and only one memory of...not that Elodie. And since he would be extra sure and extra careful of his personal safety, he would only ever have the one, while getting more and more of the other, and then the one would never trouble him again. And Annie…

    The herds resolved into shapeless blobs. Timothy frowned, and fussed with his glasses.

    Well, he had warned her, hadn’t he? Elodie had pulled him away, hadn’t she? And now she was back, right as rain, and he was planning to write the report for their group anyway. She hadn’t said anything. He wouldn’t say anything. Friendship preserved.

    ...maybe he’d spend a little longer on that report. Just to be safe. Or safer, rather.

    Timothy let out a deep sigh, and all the adrenaline escaped out with it, leaving behind a mere, tired mortal. Steady now, Crompton. Don’t let it get to you. He told himself. After all, he wouldn’t be here much longer. He was a good student. He didn’t break the rules. He hadn’t done anything wrong. Soon they’d realize their mistake, he’d be let go, and then he could go back home where life made sense. Where nightmares kept to movie screens and ghost stories, and mortal peril never entered into the equation. Back to school, back on track, back to a simple, pleasant life.

    Had Timothy read the right sort of books, or had been as wise as he thought he was, he would’ve recognized the aching wish in his heart as a danger far more deadly than any he’d faced that day. But he was tired, he was scared, and - worst of all - he was alone. Desire took root, blossomed into thought…

    If only I had just a scrap of that life here…

    ...and his doom was sealed.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    ******************* INTERMISSION OVER **************************

    Let me bring you back to that very specific night, up in the highest room, of the tallest tower of our school.

    It's still middle of the night and the loud and disturbing noises of the angel's warpath still echoes through the stone halls and corridors from the other side of the castle. It's still reassuringly far away but everyone here know it can take a rapid turn at any moment.

    Outside it has started to rain but the windows in here are little more than glazed arrowslits so the gentle tapping of the rain can barely be heard over the echoing shrieks and the rolling thunder of crashing furniture against ancient stone walls. The lit fireplace holds the chill out and together with the scavenged furniture that's found its way here from across the castle it's a dimly lit, warm and almost inviting hiding place. The armchairs are soft and overstuffed, candles flicker on the walls, the kind of room perfect for curling up and catching a healthy snooze.

    There's just that tiny little issue of the cost of said nap.

    Samael's eyes are still fixed on Timothy as the human edges back and away from him, clutching bedding, blankets, pillows and hells, is that a stuffed bunny ear peeking out amidst it all? A little blood, was it really such a tall ask for access to the room Samael had found, cleared out and furnished all on his own? The vampire certainly didn't think so. Still, there was more at stake here than just blood, and the human seemed to be getting wise to it and Samael was winning.

    That is, until his control of the moment began to waver because of a sudden and incessant banging on the door.

    With a barely stifled snarl Samael gave up on trying to wait out an agreement from Timothy and was quickly by the door and yanked it open. He set one hand on each of the sides of the door opening to block the way inside.

    "Get. Out." Samael's voice was low but made no attempt whatsoever at hiding his anger other than keeping it down.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2019-09-16 at 05:31 AM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    CREEP

    "Sure, sure" Annalee nods from behind the banging of her extremely foolhardy and brutish companion. Bless her, Alexstralia was trying. Annalee could have just left her to Samael's mercy, part of her was tempted to just turn around. But, the fire felt warm even from the door, and this was a situation that could be negotiated. Also...was that Timothy in here?

    Annalee, far from backing away as she said nodded in agreement with Samael instead got up on her tiptoes to look over his shoulder. That was little Timmy. No obvious bloodstains either, and...was that a stuffed rabbit ear? Oh gosh that was unfairly cute.
    [Tim, I demand that you roll to turn Annalee on in your next post. Take +1 for her condition.]

    The thing was that Samael could be negotiated with. Not with her blood obviously, but she had a dumb brutish friend. "Sammy, always a pleasure." Annalee gives him a little bow. "My new friend Alex and I were just looking for a place to stay the night and Alex suggested that this would be the perfect place for us to rest. Now, I know you wouldn't just offer something like that for free, but since Alex wanted to come here, I am confident that she is prepared to pay the toll on our behalf, and I would be honored to spend the night together."
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Samael's eyes are still fixed on Timothy as the human edges back and away from him, clutching bedding, blankets, pillows and hells, is that a stuffed bunny ear peeking out amidst it all?
    You leave Hieronymus B'Gosh out of this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    A little blood, was it really such a tall ask for access to the room Samael had found, cleared out and furnished all on his own? The vampire certainly didn't think so. Still, there was more at stake here than just blood, and the human seemed to be getting wise to it and Samael was winning.

    That is, until his control of the moment began to waver because of a sudden and incessant banging on the door.

    With a barely stifled snarl Samael gave up on trying to wait out an agreement from Timothy and was quickly by the door and yanked it open. He set one hand on each of the sides of the door opening to block the way inside.

    "Get. Out." Samael's voice was low but made no attempt whatsoever at hiding his anger other than keeping it down.
    Generally speaking, “what on earth am I even doing here?!” is a question that ought to have been asked before the vampire decided to block the only exit.

    Unless…

    He hadn’t taken a good look out those windows yet, had he? True, the height might prove treacherous, but you know what they say; any port in a vampire storm. Just an oh-so-casual walk to the windows, and then - whoops! Dropped his spare handkerchief, one moment...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    CREEP

    "Sure, sure" Annalee nods from behind the banging of her extremely foolhardy and brutish companion. Bless her, Alexstralia was trying. Annalee could have just left her to Samael's mercy, part of her was tempted to just turn around. But, the fire felt warm even from the door, and this was a situation that could be negotiated. Also...was that Timothy in here?

    Annalee, far from backing away as she said nodded in agreement with Samael instead got up on her tiptoes to look over his shoulder. That was little Timmy. No obvious bloodstains either, and...was that a stuffed rabbit ear? Oh gosh that was unfairly cute.
    [Tim, I demand that you roll to turn Annalee on in your next post. Take +1 for her condition.]
    However Timothy wound up in Sleepyshine Rise, a full wardrobe of his school uniforms wound up here with him. A wardrobe that he keeps fastidiously tidy at all times. (Perhaps he’s trying to get let out early for good dress code behaviour?) While this makes him look a tad ridiculous amongst his fellow students, the fact remains that Timothy Oglevee Crompton is one of the best-dressed individuals at Sleepyshine Rise. And a well-tailored set of clothes accentuates one’s natural qualities does it not? Our Timmy is no werewolf linebacker, but a lifetime of vigorous constitutionals and temperate teatimes has done him no little harm. Not to mention all the running he’s gotten to do recently.

    Why am I telling you all this? Well, the simple arithmetic of these facts means that when Timothy bent over to retrieve his handkerchief, Annalee may well realize that she could have missed some crucial features on this boy when she observed him in a dark, cramped broom closet. Features that may well warrant another look. Or five. And a cozy inspection at a later date.

    [Rolling to Turn Annalee On: 5 + 5 + 0 = 10. Timmy takes a string on Annalee.]

    Now then; a discreet peep through the windows. What does he see? Might there be another safe (or at the least, safer) way out of this room?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-09-17 at 04:20 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Elodie!

    "We are in a perilous supernatural environment with danger lurking behind every tree and shadow," said Carmen. "No doubt this is some sphere of the Darkling Lands where the Witch intended to dispose of us. Don't worry - I have been trained for this. I promise to keep you safe and slay whatever monster dwells at the heart of this evil realm."
    Anyway, so Carmen is now in the shape of a pig, squealing wildly while trussed by all four trotters. Really she did pretty well, all things considered.

    "Elodie, dearest! You've come to visit your auntie - oh, what a good niece you are!" Auntie Circe is kind of a lot. "I'm so glad to hear that you finally agreed to go to a proper school! The Angel of Sleepshy is such a darling, isn't he? I've always said that you just needed to be in an environment where you could get over your silly shyness about the supernatural, and I was right! Look at you! You're flourishing!" She cooed. "Tell you what, I'll go ahead and bake a lovely pork roast, and while that's cooking you can show me everything you've learned about being a psychopomp!"


    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    The thing was that Samael could be negotiated with. Not with her blood obviously, but she had a dumb brutish friend. "Sammy, always a pleasure." Annalee gives him a little bow. "My new friend Alex and I were just looking for a place to stay the night and Alex suggested that this would be the perfect place for us to rest. Now, I know you wouldn't just offer something like that for free, but since Alex wanted to come here, I am confident that she is prepared to pay the toll on our behalf, and I would be honored to spend the night together."
    "Pay?" Alex sniffed. "Please. I am the queen of darkness, little vampire, and you are in my way. Go find a coffin or whatever."

    It's not often someone looks at you with such a oblivious lack of fear. Most people at least have instincts to tell them when they're making a mistake but Alextralia seems uniquely capable of ignoring those.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Now then; a discreet peep through the windows. What does he see? Might there be another safe (or at the least, safer) way out of this room?
    Not down... but up? There is a strange glowing light coming from Elodie's tower. Too steady and warm to be firelight - is that sunlight coming from inside that window?
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

    Why am I telling you all this? Well, the simple arithmetic of these facts means that when Timothy bent over to retrieve his handkerchief, Annalee may well realize that she could have missed some crucial features on this boy when she observed him in a dark, cramped broom closet. Features that may well warrant another look. Or five. And a cozy inspection at a later date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Pay?" Alex sniffed. "Please. I am the queen of darkness, little vampire, and you are in my way. Go find a coffin or whatever."

    It's not often someone looks at you with such a oblivious lack of fear. Most people at least have instincts to tell them when they're making a mistake but Alextralia seems uniquely capable of ignoring those.
    CREEP

    Annalee probably could have helped smooth things over here, but she was too busy staring over Samael's shoulder. The light from the hallway highlighted a gorgeous figure, and shimmered in his eyes. They were so timid, like the little rabbit he was carrying, but so alluring and Annalee couldn't seem to take her gaze off them. She tried to shake her head, she was better than this, what was even special about stupid little Timmy except for those stupid, bright, shimmering eyes, so big and full that you could drown in them? Ugh, she shifted back, tried to focus on something else, Alex was saying something idiotic probably, but what had it been? She tried not to blush or make it obvious that she hadn't been paying attention, although Samael had eyes so that was pretty doubtful. She'd just have to see what happened and try to pick up the thread from there.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-09-19 at 12:38 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    SECOND PLACE

    You’d think Elodie would be full of indignation and spitting metaphorical fire at being babied like this, being condescended to, and being told she was going to have a lovely Carmen roast. That’s the sort of thing that gets under your skin, after all!

    But there’s two things you very much need to consider. Well, technically three, but the giant plush chair threatening to swallow her inside the cushions whenever she shifts, inhabited by ant-sized lost civilizations, is barely worth a footnote.

    The first is that Circe is a nigh-immortal mistress of transformation, and concepts like “bodily autonomy” passed her right by. Good if, say, you’re having a bad acne day and want Auntie Circe to wave her wand and whoosh it all away. Bad if she decides that babies don’t have acne, or for that matter cats don’t have acne either, or if she wants you to escort Cousin Alecto to a party as a gentleman, or if she decides that you can’t talk back as an opossum, or for that matter without a mouth at all...

    Auntie Circe is the scariest person who never gets angry. She just fixes problems as soon as they come up.

    The second is that it’s hard to be indignant while your cheeks are being enthusiastically squished and your head is being pat. And your kitten ears are being scritched and oh my gosh that’s so niiiiiiice Auntie thank you.

    But if she doesn’t try to intervene, she’ll be dooming Carmen! She’ll be just another monster! So she has to try!

    “A-actually,” she says, shifting in her seat and destroying an entire city beneath the cushions in a cataclysm, “I’m on a very strict diet, Auntie!” Here it comes. The perfect lie.

    “I... can only eat carnivorous plants!”

    wow

    “Because... they process the meat... it’s so good for your skin and your digestive system, not to mention your abs... that’s why I’m a carnovegetarian now!”

    She beams her most innocent little niece smile. “So let’s go out to the greenhouse and pick some? I know you’ve got some delicious Aegean Piranhas that must be ripe!”
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-09-18 at 09:51 PM.
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Pay?" Alex sniffed. "Please. I am the queen of darkness, little vampire, and you are in my way. Go find a coffin or whatever."

    It's not often someone looks at you with such a oblivious lack of fear. Most people at least have instincts to tell them when they're making a mistake but Alextralia seems uniquely capable of ignoring those.
    Samael bowed, with all the formality and crisp respect of one who placed great value in such gestures and knew how to do them flawlessly. Still, he did it without moving from blocking the door. When he rose again he fixed his eyes on hers and smiled a smile full of awe and adoration. His eyes shone and as he spoke his voice was soft yet excited.

    "My apologies, Your Majesty, I did not realise it was You. I don't believe I have had the honour of speaking with you." He took a tiny step closer, just enough to enter her personal space. "I was just marking the Going Bump In The Night papers and yours had some truly inspiring insights. It stands out from the crowd and now I can see why. The Queen of Darkness herself. It's such a shame you didn't have time to proofread the last few pages or I am certain it would have been a top mark paper befit to your reputation. A top mark, as you know, gives you a free pass from the next assignment and if ever there was one deserving of it.... Say... I do not need to submit the markings to the faculty until... hm, oh yes, four hours from now so... since it's You... I'll hold yours off until the last minute as I'm sure you'd wish to resubmit the perfection that your name deserves."

    [Rolling Hypnotic on Alextralia: 4+5+2=11 I ask that she go and obsess over her paper for the next four hours]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Not down... but up? There is a strange glowing light coming from Elodie's tower. Too steady and warm to be firelight - is that sunlight coming from inside that window?
    Which was better: An evening with Elodie in the sunshine, or an evening locked up with a vampire, Annie, and - was that a demon?!

    Right. That did it. As soon as Samael stepped out to speak with his guests, Timothy bundled up his things, opened the window as quietly as he could, and scrambled up the roof to Elodie’s tower.

    [Rolling to Run Away: 1 + 5 + 2 = 8 Choosing to leave something behind.]

    He could be excused, in his flustered haste, for a few minor lapses in caution. It was his first time tying up a bindle, how could he be expected to perfectly tie one so big as this? Nor would it be fair to demand he perfectly survey the room as he left, not while he was so focused on keeping his footing. Ergo, it should not be held against him that as he left the premises, his little rabbit remained behind.

    Do you hear that, Samael? Not held against him! As a junior faculty member, it is your sworn duty to set a good example for the students, and return it to him at your earliest convenience. You know how important it was to him. After all, as he flew from the Angel’s perilous terror, he couldn't bear to leave it behind. You know he’s going to miss it. You know where his bedroom is. You know you’re bound to see him eventually. So you haven’t a single excuse!

    I do hope you will do the right thing.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    “A-actually,” she says, shifting in her seat and destroying an entire city beneath the cushions in a cataclysm, “I’m on a very strict diet, Auntie!” Here it comes. The perfect lie.

    “I... can only eat carnivorous plants!”

    wow

    “Because... they process the meat... it’s so good for your skin and your digestive system, not to mention your abs... that’s why I’m a carnovegetarian now!”

    She beams her most innocent little niece smile. “So let’s go out to the greenhouse and pick some? I know you’ve got some delicious Aegean Piranhas that must be ripe!”
    "Oh, aren't you a little angel!" said Auntie Circe delightedly. "You know, when I was your age I didn't spare even a passing thought to taking care of my skin? I just ran around in the sun like it was my job! Oh, but times were different then and we didn't know any better..." she snapped her fingers and the spit the poor pig was dangling from began walking of its own accord, carrying the squealing Carmen along behind you.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Do you hear that, Samael? Not held against him! As a junior faculty member, it is your sworn duty to set a good example for the students, and return it to him at your earliest convenience. You know how important it was to him. After all, as he flew from the Angel’s perilous terror, he couldn't bear to leave it behind. You know he’s going to miss it. You know where his bedroom is. You know you’re bound to see him eventually. So you haven’t a single excuse!

    I do hope you will do the right thing.
    Elodie has, in fact, left a portal open. To a beautiful glittering sun-kissed beach with a big grand mansion and a marvellous greenhouse and beautiful ocean breeze and, oh! Is this paradise? And look, that's Elodie right over there, alongside a tall and absolutely charming looking older woman, and there are no monsters or vampires or demons here at all. You made the right decision for once, Tim!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Samael bowed, with all the formality and crisp respect of one who placed great value in such gestures and knew how to do them flawlessly. Still, he did it without moving from blocking the door. When he rose again he fixed his eyes on hers and smiled a smile full of awe and adoration. His eyes shone and as he spoke his voice was soft yet excited.

    "My apologies, Your Majesty, I did not realise it was You. I don't believe I have had the honour of speaking with you." He took a tiny step closer, just enough to enter her personal space. "I was just marking the Going Bump In The Night papers and yours had some truly inspiring insights. It stands out from the crowd and now I can see why. The Queen of Darkness herself. It's such a shame you didn't have time to proofread the last few pages or I am certain it would have been a top mark paper befit to your reputation. A top mark, as you know, gives you a free pass from the next assignment and if ever there was one deserving of it.... Say... I do not need to submit the markings to the faculty until... hm, oh yes, four hours from now so... since it's You... I'll hold yours off until the last minute as I'm sure you'd wish to resubmit the perfection that your name deserves."

    [Rolling Hypnotic on Alextralia: 4+5+2=11 I ask that she go and obsess over her paper for the next four hours]
    "You are right," said the Queen of Darkness, drowning in your eyes. "I deserve this. I must only accept perfection. I will find the time."

    And on a heel she turns and leaves, pushing Annalee to one side as she goes, muttering constantly under her breath.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-24 at 05:49 PM.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    CREEP

    Annalee looks at Alex walking off, back at Samael, at Timmy leaving through the window and dropping his rabbit. Then she grins.

    "Well, it seems you've lost the smoky barbecue flavor, and your original little snack, Sammy, unless you like stuffing on your fangs. I do try to be less unreasonable than the rest of these idiots though. What's the price to let me keep the rabbit and have a night's stay in your lovely rooms?"
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-09-24 at 06:56 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Elodie has, in fact, left a portal open. To a beautiful glittering sun-kissed beach with a big grand mansion and a marvellous greenhouse and beautiful ocean breeze and, oh! Is this paradise?
    Now. Timothy knew that leaving school grounds was forbidden. But this was like knowing you had ten toes. Sure, the knowledge existed in your head, but until practical difficulties thrust it to the fore, were you really aware of it?

    And speaking of toes, letting his sink into that lovely, warm sand was doing wonders for his nerves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    And look, that's Elodie right over there, alongside a tall and absolutely charming looking older woman, and there are no monsters or vampires or demons here at all. You made the right decision for once, Tim!
    Ah, wonderful! He’d been a little concerned when Elodie wasn’t in her room - after all, he had just barged in - but he needn’t have worried about a thing. Now then; what kind of Crompton would he be if he let a measly school full of unspeakable horrors drive the manners right from his head? Wiggling free of the sand, he gave a loud, completely unignorable “Halloa!” to the two of them, waving cordially as he made his approach.

    Won’t you introduce him, Elodie?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    SECOND PLACE

    Oh no this is the worst maybe if she stands in front of Auntie and jumps a lot she won’t see him— no he’s yelling, umph, this dumb hot boy is going to be the death of her. He’s so innocent! And sweet! And full of life which he desperately does not want to let go of!

    “Auntie this is my friend Timmy and he is fine just as he is so please don’t turn him into a pig also hello Timmy I’m sure you were just about to leave the homework you wanted to copy is under my pillow love you too!”

    oh gosh oh no

    [Turn Timothy On with a blurted “Love you too”: 8.]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "You are right," said the Queen of Darkness, drowning in your eyes. "I deserve this. I must only accept perfection. I will find the time."

    And on a heel she turns and leaves, pushing Annalee to one side as she goes, muttering constantly under her breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    CREEP

    Annalee looks at Alex walking off, back at Samael, at Timmy leaving through the window and dropping his rabbit. Then she grins.

    "Well, it seems you've lost the smoky barbecue flavor, and your original little snack, Sammy, unless you like stuffing on your fangs. I do try to be less unreasonable than the rest of these idiots though. What's the price to let me keep the rabbit and have a night's stay in your lovely rooms?"
    'Sammy'.

    Samael flinched a little at hearing the unauthorised nickname.

    "Miss Sokolov," Samael began as he turned towards her. His smile a little less radiant and his eyes a lot less sparkling. "My students call me Mr Hale. My... donors call me Samael. My lovers call me Sam. I am eager to learn which group you wish to assign yourself to."

    He looked back over his shoulder just in time to catch the very last glimpse of a blanket disappearing out the window, and to see the goddamn stuffed bunny on the floor. Samael Hale swore out loud and stepped away from blocking the door and back inside the room leaving Annalee free to come inside should she wish. He angrily snatched the bunny from the floor. He wanted to rip it to shreds.

    "This? You want this? Why?" he held the offending fluff in the air and gave the girl by the door an uncomprehending look.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    SECOND PLACE

    Oh no this is the worst maybe if she stands in front of Auntie and jumps a lot she won’t see him— no he’s yelling, umph, this dumb hot boy is going to be the death of her. He’s so innocent! And sweet! And full of life which he desperately does not want to let go of!

    “Auntie this is my friend Timmy and he is fine just as he is so please don’t turn him into a pig also hello Timmy I’m sure you were just about to leave the homework you wanted to copy is under my pillow love you too!”

    oh gosh oh no

    [Turn Timothy On with a blurted “Love you too”: 8.]
    Oh! That’s…that’s quite a lot to unpack, isn’t it? Starting with the bit about a pig. And turning into-

    What’s that? Everybody’s looking at him? He needs to say something right now?

    …you mean right now, right now?

    Right now, as in not later, certainly not some other time, and most definitely not “I’ll get right on it”?

    But now?

    “Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…thank you? A…pleasure to see you too?”

    Well, what did you expect?! You demanded an answer long before the protocols had ever been established for "beautiful girl says 'love' to you on a beach!" We had to go with the closest fit! There was no choice! I don’t recall! I’m innocent! I plead the fifth!

    Oh, botheration…

    [Elodie, your blurted power play has bamboozled the boy. Take yet another String on him.]

    “I’m…terribly sorry, I believe I’ve accidentally intruded upon something. Never meant to disrupt a private family function. Truly, my apologies ma’am.” A stiff, formulaic bow to her aunt. A stiff, polite wave to her. Oh, dandy-muffins, the sun was baking his cheeks to a bright red crisp, wasn’t it? “I’ll just. Go back the way I came. Do carry on. Won’t trouble you any more.”

    He took a little step back. The first of many. And one that most assuredly wasn’t about to be interrupted by anything.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    unauthorised nickname.
    The best kind of nickname.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    "Miss Sokolov," Samael began as he turned towards her. His smile a little less radiant and his eyes a lot less sparkling. "My students call me Mr Hale. My... donors call me Samael. My lovers call me Sam. I am eager to learn which group you wish to assign yourself to."

    He looked back over his shoulder just in time to catch the very last glimpse of a blanket disappearing out the window, and to see the goddamn stuffed bunny on the floor. Samael Hale swore out loud and stepped away from blocking the door and back inside the room leaving Annalee free to come inside should she wish. He angrily snatched the bunny from the floor. He wanted to rip it to shreds.

    "This? You want this? Why?" he held the offending fluff in the air and gave the girl by the door an uncomprehending look.
    "It's intimately connected to our dear little Timmy" Annalee says, walking in and warming herself by the fire.

    "And I can do some things with intimate connections. Say, perhaps you'd be interested in punishing Timmy for his disobedience tonight. I could make that happen for you with that little rabbit. Of course, I'd want some compensation for such hard work. That could be my price for staying the night, if you'd like...Sam."
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    SECOND PLACE

    Oh no this is the worst maybe if she stands in front of Auntie and jumps a lot she won’t see him— no he’s yelling, umph, this dumb hot boy is going to be the death of her. He’s so innocent! And sweet! And full of life which he desperately does not want to let go of!

    “Auntie this is my friend Timmy and he is fine just as he is so please don’t turn him into a pig also hello Timmy I’m sure you were just about to leave the homework you wanted to copy is under my pillow love you too!”

    oh gosh oh no

    [Turn Timothy On with a blurted “Love you too”: 8.]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    “I’m…terribly sorry, I believe I’ve accidentally intruded upon something. Never meant to disrupt a private family function. Truly, my apologies ma’am.” A stiff, formulaic bow to her aunt. A stiff, polite wave to her. Oh, dandy-muffins, the sun was baking his cheeks to a bright red crisp, wasn’t it? “I’ll just. Go back the way I came. Do carry on. Won’t trouble you any more.”

    He took a little step back. The first of many. And one that most assuredly wasn’t about to be interrupted by anything.
    That step backwards, Timothy, was actually a step forwards. On account of the entire lower half of your body being reversed. Your backwards walking is actually forwards walking and it takes you at a steady gait right up to below the shining smile and glowing eyes of Auntie Circe and oh my haven't things got awfully dark for a sunny day at the beach?

    "Oh, you must be Elodie's friend?" she says with a smile that hasn't yet made up its mind about how threatening it needs to be - and so is erring on the side of very just to be safe. "It is so nice to see her getting to know psychopomps her age, isn't it? Forgive me, I can't exactly place you - are you one of Anubis'? Or perhaps you're from outside our little world and are perhaps a demon king or werewolf prince or something along those lines? You know, the kind of person who would be a good match for my darling precious fragile niece?"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-09-29 at 04:19 PM.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    "It's intimately connected to our dear little Timmy" Annalee says, walking in and warming herself by the fire.

    "And I can do some things with intimate connections. Say, perhaps you'd be interested in punishing Timmy for his disobedience tonight. I could make that happen for you with that little rabbit. Of course, I'd want some compensation for such hard work. That could be my price for staying the night, if you'd like...Sam."
    Samael simmers down quickly upon hearing that your motives here are of the manipulative kind as opposed to some weird and sickening affection-type stuff. He approves. Wholeheartedly.

    I can totally see why you two got on well when you met previously, you talk Mr Hale's language, and you talk it fluently, Miss Sokolov.

    Another smile spreads on his face, but thisone is more thoughtful, more importantly it's for you this time. He steps a few easy steps in your direction as he considers the fluffbunny in his hand and its potential.

    "You certainly know how to make an offer hard to refuse... Ana." He holds up the bunny in the narrow space between you, free for you to take. "Just one amendment... let me watch." His eyes fall to your lips.

    "I want to see you work your magic."

    [Rolling to Turn Annalee On: 3+4+2=9]
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2019-09-30 at 08:17 AM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    That step backwards, Timothy, was actually a step forwards. On account of the entire lower half of your body being reversed. Your backwards walking is actually forwards walking and it takes you at a steady gait right up to below the shining smile and glowing eyes of Auntie Circe and oh my haven't things got awfully dark for a sunny day at the beach?
    I believe he specifically requested time to sort out this business? This was unimaginably rude and unfair?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Oh, you must be Elodie's friend?" she says with a smile that hasn't yet made up its mind about how threatening it needs to be - and so is erring on the side of very just to be safe. "It is so nice to see her getting to know psychopomps her age, isn't it? Forgive me, I can't exactly place you - are you one of Anubis'? Or perhaps you're from outside our little world and are perhaps a demon king or werewolf prince or something along those lines? You know, the kind of person who would be a good match for my darling precious fragile niece?"
    And so, Timothy found himself in a familiar position; knowing just enough to recognize he was in terrible danger, but not quite enough to know the way out. Fortunately, he had a lifetime of practice as the picture of meek respectibility, which comes in handy when babbling out the first thoughts to enter your head.

    "Oh, no, no ma'am. I-I'm afraid I'm quite outside those circles, so we must never have met before. Timothy Oglevee Crompton - of the Wilkenstonshire Cromptons - normal human. A pleasure to meet you, ma'am." He offered a hand to shake. "Please, r-rest assured, I would never dream of having, erhm, d-disreputable intentions towards your neice."

    Perfect manners. Flawless testimony. Situation: Handled.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    "I want to see you work your magic."

    [Rolling to Turn Annalee On: 3+4+2=9]
    If Samael Hale wants to watch, he gets to watch. Annalee finds it easy to just nod right along when he asks. Of course, she's staying in his room and he's being so hospitable. Plus, that smile was just so disarming, so cute. It made her heart just want to melt, a smile just for her. Annalee didn't get many of those, a short heavy girl with a slight Russian accent and all that. It was nice, was all.

    The ritual isn't a ton to look at. Lacking any chalk, Annalee uses scrapings from her soap to draw a proper magic circle. She doesn't really go in for pentagrams, she goes more for the style of triangles criss-crossing within a big circle. Nothing as fancy as what you see in anime, but it's got some geometry going. She places the bunny at the center of the circle and begins chanting in tongues. The room seems to grow darker. Her eyes are covered with a grey film, her hands seem to glow with the light that's draining from the room, gleaming brighter than the fire. The darkness in the room centers on the bunny, creeps deeply into it. And then Annalee holds her chant for a moment, the ritual almost at its apex and asks Samael what he'd like. "What kind of revenge would you like? All his hair falls out? Wets his pants in class? Sudden nosebleed? Maybe his teeth start falling out or a really bad and uncomfortable rash? Or I could make him completely unable to lie until the spell gets reversed. Your choice."

    [Rolled whatever Hex Samael chooses. 5+6+1=12. It goes off correctly and can easily be reversed if I so desire.]
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-10-01 at 07:54 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    If Samael Hale wants to watch, he gets to watch. Annalee finds it easy to just nod right along when he asks. Of course, she's staying in his room and he's being so hospitable. Plus, that smile was just so disarming, so cute. It made her heart just want to melt, a smile just for her. Annalee didn't get many of those, a short heavy girl with a slight Russian accent and all that. It was nice, was all.

    The ritual isn't a ton to look at. Lacking any chalk, Annalee uses scrapings from her soap to draw a proper magic circle. She doesn't really go in for pentagrams, she goes more for the style of triangles criss-crossing within a big circle. Nothing as fancy as what you see in anime, but it's got some geometry going. She places the bunny at the center of the circle and begins chanting in tongues. The room seems to grow darker. Her eyes are covered with a grey film, her hands seem to glow with the light that's draining from the room, gleaming brighter than the fire. The darkness in the room centers on the bunny, creeps deeply into it. And then Annalee holds her chant for a moment, the ritual almost at its apex and asks Samael what he'd like. "What kind of revenge would you like? All his hair falls out? Wets his pants in class? Sudden nosebleed? Maybe his teeth start falling out or a really bad and uncomfortable rash? Or I could make him completely unable to lie until the spell gets reversed. Your choice."

    [Rolled whatever Hex Samael chooses. 5+6+1=12. It goes off correctly and can easily be reversed if I so desire.]
    Samael kept well back, but sat comfortably in one of the overstuffed armchairs, turned to face Annalee, while still enjoying some of the warmth radiating from the fire. He held a half-empty glass in one hand and was sat leaning back with one leg hooked over an armrest, as relaxed as he was, his eyes were bright with fascination and he watched her every move intently. It was a rare privilege to watch a witch at work.

    He took a moment, and a sip, to consider his choices. While maximum humiliation was tempting it could be a shortlived victory. Timothy had just the kind of helpless naivity that Samael knew could get him much too much sympathy among some of the less hopeless cases here. He wanted to make him think of him the moment the curse took effect. To mar him in a way that hopefully might even make him an outcast, so that he'd have no choice but to come crawling back to him. What did humans associate with Vampires?

    He almost immediately ruled out forcing him to tell the truth, Samael could not see the bumbling boy being able to lie even without a curse on him, it would be a waste of Annalee's talent and efforts, not to mention his deal.

    "His teeth," Samael whispered from his chair, not wanting to break the heavy mystical ambiance in the room that the darkness of her magic had wrought, and his eyes glittered in the faint firelight.

    Yes.

    His teeth would do nicely.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2019-10-02 at 06:14 PM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Samael Hale

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    "hahahahahaha," Elodie simpers desperately. "Oh, Timothy, you're such a kidder, trying to pull one over on Auntie Circe like that, like she wouldn't turn a normal human into a pig and eat them for dinner just like that!" She snaps her fingers for emphasis, grinning like a dry skull. And isn't that something of a reminder of what exactly she is, Timmy me boy? "Now, go on, stop being silly and tell Auntie the— tooth!!!"

    OH GROSS GROSS GROSS ewwwwwww no teeth aren't supposed to bend at those angles! ugh, how can you have an underbite and an overbite at the same time??? Elodie spins around and dry heaves, trying desperately not to lose her lunch. Sure, she can hear her Auntie suggest eating somebody, no problem, because she can do something about stopping that, but she can't do anything about teeth! And those teeth are so gross! EWWWWWW!!!

    [Shutting Timmy Down by nearly vomiting over how gross he looks. Sorry, Timmy. Double sorry because, unfortunately for all of us, it's a 6.]
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    And so, Timothy found himself in a familiar position; knowing just enough to recognize he was in terrible danger, but not quite enough to know the way out. Fortunately, he had a lifetime of practice as the picture of meek respectibility, which comes in handy when babbling out the first thoughts to enter your head.

    "Oh, no, no ma'am. I-I'm afraid I'm quite outside those circles, so we must never have met before. Timothy Oglevee Crompton - of the Wilkenstonshire Cromptons - normal human. A pleasure to meet you, ma'am." He offered a hand to shake. "Please, r-rest assured, I would never dream of having, erhm, d-disreputable intentions towards your neice."

    Perfect manners. Flawless testimony. Situation: Handled.
    Auntie Circe's smile fades with every passing word. It's not transitioning into anger or disappointment, oh no. That's the expression of a lady wondering if she's got room in the freezer for another pork roast. She's just about to open her mouth to say something when -

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    "hahahahahaha," Elodie simpers desperately. "Oh, Timothy, you're such a kidder, trying to pull one over on Auntie Circe like that, like she wouldn't turn a normal human into a pig and eat them for dinner just like that!" She snaps her fingers for emphasis, grinning like a dry skull. And isn't that something of a reminder of what exactly she is, Timmy me boy? "Now, go on, stop being silly and tell Auntie the— tooth!!!"

    OH GROSS GROSS GROSS ewwwwwww no teeth aren't supposed to bend at those angles! ugh, how can you have an underbite and an overbite at the same time??? Elodie spins around and dry heaves, trying desperately not to lose her lunch. Sure, she can hear her Auntie suggest eating somebody, no problem, because she can do something about stopping that, but she can't do anything about teeth! And those teeth are so gross! EWWWWWW!!!

    [Shutting Timmy Down by nearly vomiting over how gross he looks. Sorry, Timmy. Double sorry because, unfortunately for all of us, it's a 6.]
    - suddenly that smile comes back, and everything is sunbeams and rainbows. "Oh, Elodie, darling! I am so impressed with you!" she pinches your adorable whiskered cheeks. "You're dating a goblin! I mean, he's not exactly Fenris, but even baby steps are worth being proud of! Oh, where's my camera? I'd forget my own head if it wasn't microchipped..."

    She gives up and transforms a passing crab into an old-fashioned flash camera. "You know, it would be an adorable picture if I could get a shot of you two cuddling! One for the scrapbook!"
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Auntie Circe's smile fades with every passing word. It's not transitioning into anger or disappointment, oh no. That's the expression of a lady wondering if she's got room in the freezer for another pork roast. She's just about to open her mouth to say something when -
    See? Evil smile defused, problem solved, everything turned out alright!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    "hahahahahaha," Elodie simpers desperately. "Oh, Timothy, you're such a kidder, trying to pull one over on Auntie Circe like that, like she wouldn't turn a normal human into a pig and eat them for dinner just like that!" She snaps her fingers for emphasis, grinning like a dry skull. And isn't that something of a reminder of what exactly she is, Timmy me boy? "Now, go on, stop being silly and tell Auntie the— tooth!!!"

    OH GROSS GROSS GROSS ewwwwwww no teeth aren't supposed to bend at those angles! ugh, how can you have an underbite and an overbite at the same time??? Elodie spins around and dry heaves, trying desperately not to lose her lunch. Sure, she can hear her Auntie suggest eating somebody, no problem, because she can do something about stopping that, but she can't do anything about teeth! And those teeth are so gross! EWWWWWW!!!

    [Shutting Timmy Down by nearly vomiting over how gross he looks. Sorry, Timmy. Double sorry because, unfortunately for all of us, it's a 6.]
    OH GOSH

    OH IT'S WRONG

    OH THEY'RE ALL WRONG

    OH NO WHAT DID SHE DO TO HIS TEETH

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    - suddenly that smile comes back, and everything is sunbeams and rainbows. "Oh, Elodie, darling! I am so impressed with you!" she pinches your adorable whiskered cheeks. "You're dating a goblin! I mean, he's not exactly Fenris, but even baby steps are worth being proud of! Oh, where's my camera? I'd forget my own head if it wasn't microchipped..."
    OH NO SHE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO HIS TEETH

    While she searched for a camera, Timothy joined his classmate in some mutual dry-heavings. Which, unfortunately for the both of them, could be construed as an exotic Goblin dialect, if you were listening for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    She gives up and transforms a passing crab into an old-fashioned flash camera. "You know, it would be an adorable picture if I could get a shot of you two cuddling! One for the scrapbook!"
    But perhaps more unfortunately, what came next could not be construed as an exotic Goblin dialect, even if you were listening for it.

    "No. I don't know." Timothy spat through mangled jaws. "I don't know what would begin to be adorable about shoving two people together like emotionless dolls, and documenting their passionless embrace for all time. I'll not do it. You won't get a shot of it. And what's more, if that is a sampling of what you consider worthy of your scrapbook, then I'm afraid I shouldn't ever want to read it. Not now, not ever, not even if you invited me in for tea!"

    Timothy had had quite enough of this tomfoolery, and enough raw fury to momentarily eclipse his misery and terror.

    [Rolling to Shut Someone Down: 6 + 5 + 1 = 12 If it's possible, Timothy would like to gain a String on Circe.]
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    When the ritual is done, Annalee gives Samael a thumbs up. It totally worked, and the spell is at her command. Unless something else intervened, Sam would get to see the fruits of their labor tomorrow, and might already start hearing all about it depending on the quality of his rumor mill.

    Annalee couldn't suppress a yawn though. A big magic working like that was exhausting, the last few days had been exhausting, and hanging out with Alexstralia was its own very special kind of exhausting. Her price for the night paid and her energy spent, she made to curl up on her pillow near the fire. She's at your mercy Samael, if you want her, but then again, maybe you're ready to hit the hay as well.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    SECOND PLACE

    Elodie’s hands fly to her mouth in sheer, unbridled horror. Oh gosh goodness golly no!!! You can’t speak to Auntie that way! She’ll turn you into a garden gnome!

    Frantically, she does the only thing she can think of doing: she releases Carmen the Pig and gives her a smack on the haunches to get her going. Nothing says “distraction” like a freshly released pig!

    This done, she— she—

    She can’t even touch his hand! The very thought makes her skin crawl and her stomach contract into the tiniest little plum pit you’ve ever seen.

    “Sorry to cut it short Auntie but I just remembered we have to finish our Fundamentals of Good Hygiene homework!!” This paltry excuse given, she bolts and prays that Timmy has the common sense to run along with her.
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

    It is a dark and stormy night on Sleepshy Rise.

    Samael! You have been called upon by the angel to run detention for Annalee, Elodie, and Timothy. Annalee for dying without permission, Elodie for leaving the walls of Sleepshy Rise, and Timothy for both. You also have two other miscreants to reform - name them, and tell me what they did to cross either you or the angel.

    Timothy! Fortunately, Circe was so shocked at your intolerably rude outburst that she forgot to even hex you! Unfortunately, the hex that you already have has not gone away yet. What steps have you taken to conceal your current tooth situation from the others?

    Elodie! You have living with you a frightened but affectionate pig slash demon hunter. How is that going? Also tell me what you've learned about Carmen's sinister order.

    Annalee! You actually got a few good nights sleep for once and you feel great. You're full of pep and vitality and Samael is starting to give you hungry looks. Still, until that progresses you've had a lot of energy to get things done - what have you done to get ahead, and who is mad about it?
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •