New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Class: Spellblade with custom casting mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    What?
    Hahaha, sorry, i was with the cellphone. I wanted to say that using the charges of Arcane Smite to activate other features is a good thing, it is mandatory.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's so fun coming back to something like this after a long time. It really gives you a fresh pair of eyes. I'm just gonna take it from the top and write as I read.

Base Stats
    We might have to add a sidebar clarifying the weapon + spellcasting interaction. Does holding a weapon free me from somatic and material componets, since It counts as my focus? Does 'touch' mean I have to have a free hand or can I 'touch' with my weapon? I also know that each group handles this matter differently, so including what method this class was balanced around might help avoid some confusion.

Spells Known
    I'm happy with the number of cantrips and spells known. Quite nice.

Arcane Smite
    Proficiency bonus number of times still looks weird. I mean, the mechanic is good, it's just seeing it written that puts me off. Can't we just include it in the table? It is a main class feature, after all. This would also allow us to tweak the numbers on individual levels if needed.

Carve Spell
    Scaling with spell level looks weird, don't know why. I can see why you were having trouble with this feature. I think you should introduce it earlier, limit it to 1 creature, and add additional omitted creatures with levels. You could even call it Battle Surge and then Battle Surge (1) and Battle Surge (2). Since it effectively does the same thing as battle surge, just applies to other creatures as well.

Arcane Defender
    You're missing the text explaining the bonus spells, and formatting is weird. Shield should not be on this list IMO. Remember, it was designed to add weak-to-moderate powered spells with strong Flavor to the player's spell list.
    Why Medicine and not Insight?

Swordmage
    Same with this spell list. It feels like the spells are cherry picked. Although, maybe there's not that many to choose from for that specific flavor.
    The theme is also a bit lost on me, as well as I think it's in poor taste to create a party-face subclass for the fighter-wizard. You have to leave SOME toes un-stepped on xD.
    Roll the Sword mage and Arcane defender into one and make it a forcefield-using teleporting subclass. The social subclass should instead focus on information and divination. We'll include a strong social feature in that subclass, but have the general theme be divination.

You can read the mind of a creature within 15 feet and discern a topic of discussion it feels strongly about. This might be a controversial political statement, favorite author or the dislike of a local figure. You gain advantage on Charisma checks made to befriend the target. Once you use this feature you cannot do so again until you finish a....".

Bam! And, it it's a narrative ability, not a mechanical ability. This means the ability will be a part of scene, and not something that happens outside the game world.

Shadowblade
    I see there's a theme here for altering spells from the list of Bonus spells. The thing is, the change is not small enough to have the benefit of being simple and effective, and not big enough to warrant creating a new feature separated the spell. I think you're on the right track; mining the spells for interesting effects, but I think it fails in execution.

How about this for a template:

Subclass Name
    3rd Level - Bonus Spells, one spell per appropriate level.
    3rd Level - A ribbon that cements the flavor, but doesn't change all that much. Like performing Divination rituals in half the time, Proficiency with Disguise kit or advantage on Intelligence ability checks made to recognize a spell being cast. These are give the player some sense regarding their identity, but takes up 0 design space. The diviner learns that his character has performed A LOT of rituals, the Shadowblade learns that his character is good at making disguises, and the Sword mage realized that his character uses his superior knowledge in conjunction with his good reaction speed to thwart his enemies before they get a chance to finish their action.
    3rd Level - The selling feature of the subclass, on that changes something within the game world.
    10th Level - A feature that helps the subclass scale into the later tiers, and mostly happens outside the game world. Things like casting Misty Step, Augury or Disguise Self at-will.
    Mini-Cap: Something that combines the selling feature and the scaling feature. Like, once per long rest when you use your selling feature or scaling feature something amazing happens cause you're awesome.

Regarding 9th Level Spells.
    I was also thinking. In order to get the feeling you are going for without completely going nuts, what do you think about stopping the spell progression at 16th level? This has the benefit of leaving the wizard as the most powerful spellcaster, and give you design space which in turn allows you to make the class features more powerful. This design space could be used for making cool mini-caps for the subclasses and just generally buff the martial aspects of the class, such as increasing all weapon damage by, xd8 force damage or something.

Like others have said, this is a really tough class to balance, so we really have to think about trimming away the base features in order to have space for more thematic and frequent class features.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Hi everyone!
    I'm back with new juicy updates.

First of all I want to tell you that, besides developing the subclasses for Spellblade, I also tried to develop a version of it as an archetype of an existing class, as many suggested to me. The choice fell on the wizard, and you can find it here:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spellb..._(5e_Subclass)

This can be a different approach to creating a Spellblade. Mark of the Ritual is a bit weird, with the ability scores swap and the retroactive reduction of spell range, but IMHO it does not seem anything impossible, since it is justified by the ritual itself, which is very invasive from a flavour point of view.

I reduced the hit points gained to the equivalent of 1d8/level, I gave the competence to medium armor instead of heavy armor and I removed Disonnant Strike and Superior Arcane Smite. Perhaps the Extra Attack could also be removed.

On the other hand, it gains many wizard features and, above all, the spellbook.

More than anything else, IMHO, it has lot more flavor than the majority of the wizard archetypes!

What do you think about it?

Back to the original Spellblade class, you can still find it here:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spellb...ant_(5e_Class)

I reduced the number of known spells using the progression of the sorcerer, keeping the progression of the wizard for the cantrips, and then I shifted the features a bit to make room for those related to archetypes (trainings).

I also wrote these archetypes, which are not yet definitive, but are sufficiently complete to be presentable.

For each one I added an extra spell set, I created the 3rd level features as the ability to cast a specific spell in a modified version (I liked the idea), and for the rest I got inspired by your advices.

There is still work to be done. The sentences written in italics are related to parts that maybe are not necessary, Third Eye is very similar to the homonymous characteristic of the divination wizard (I must at least change its name), the 14th level characteristic of Shadowblade is missing, and everything must be verified and, presumably, nerfed.

In any case it seems to me a good starting point, what do you say?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, sorry Bjarkmundur
    You wrote this post while I was writing mine (which is above this). I read yours now and I answer you.
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2019-09-04 at 01:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, let's do this!

Base Stats
    We might have to add a sidebar clarifying the weapon + spellcasting interaction. Does holding a weapon free me from somatic and material componets, since It counts as my focus?
    As I intend this, you still need to make the somatic components. Maybe a different kind of moves, making the weapon swirl in complex evolutions. The same goes for the material components, which can be contained in specific pockets attached to the belt, and are consumed automatically.

Does 'touch' mean I have to have a free hand or can I 'touch' with my weapon? I also know that each group handles this matter differently, so including what method this class was balanced around might help avoid some confusion.
    Mmm, to tell the truth I assumed that in the 5e "touch" and "5 feet" are the same thing. If it can be confusing, I can replace it.

Spells Known
    I'm happy with the number of cantrips and spells known. Quite nice.
    ;D

Arcane Smite
    Proficiency bonus number of times still looks weird. I mean, the mechanic is good, it's just seeing it written that puts me off. Can't we just include it in the table? It is a main class feature, after all. This would also allow us to tweak the numbers on individual levels if needed.
    Of course!

Carve Spell
    Scaling with spell level looks weird, don't know why. I can see why you were having trouble with this feature. I think you should introduce it earlier, limit it to 1 creature, and add additional omitted creatures with levels. You could even call it Battle Surge and then Battle Surge (1) and Battle Surge (2). Since it effectively does the same thing as battle surge, just applies to other creatures as well.
    This is actually how WotC wrote the Sculpt Spells feature. I simply assumed that if they considered it balanced and well written ... who am I to go against the coastal magician? XD

However, it is advice to keep in mind.

Arcane Defender
    You're missing the text explaining the bonus spells, and formatting is weird.
    Yep, I wrote it while I was at work, I couldn't be too careful about formatting.^^

Shield should not be on this list IMO. Remember, it was designed to add weak-to-moderate powered spells with strong Flavor to the player's spell list.
    It's exactly the doubt that I had, but I wanted the 3rd level features of each archetypes to be altered versions of certain spells, and Projected Shield seemed nice to me.

Right now I am more inclined to move Shieldbond to 3rd level (limiting the cast mirroring to only abjuration spells) and invent a new feature for the 10th.

Why Medicine and not Insight?
    Because I hadn't thought of it, great idea ^^

Swordmage
    Same with this spell list. It feels like the spells are cherry picked. Although, maybe there's not that many to choose from for that specific flavor.
    The theme is also a bit lost on me, as well as I think it's in poor taste to create a party-face subclass for the fighter-wizard. You have to leave SOME toes un-stepped on xD.
    Roll the Sword mage and Arcane defender into one and make it a forcefield-using teleporting subclass. The social subclass should instead focus on information and divination. We'll include a strong social feature in that subclass, but have the general theme be divination.

You can read the mind of a creature within 15 feet and discern a topic of discussion it feels strongly about. This might be a controversial political statement, favorite author or the dislike of a local figure. You gain advantage on Charisma checks made to befriend the target. Once you use this feature you cannot do so again until you finish a....".

Bam! And, it it's a narrative ability, not a mechanical ability. This means the ability will be a part of scene, and not something that happens outside the game world.
    Ok, I have to admit that the Swordmage is the class that inspired me less. Unfortunately I am a little short of ideas about it, since I tend to picture the various archetypes as army roles, and I failed to frame it in anyone.

Feel free to suggest! ^^

Shadowblade
    I see there's a theme here for altering spells from the list of Bonus spells. The thing is, the change is not small enough to have the benefit of being simple and effective, and not big enough to warrant creating a new feature separated the spell. I think you're on the right track; mining the spells for interesting effects, but I think it fails in execution.
    Yes, I liked the idea of being able to cast certain spells in altered versions. Which point of Camouflage Self doesn't convince you?

How about this for a template:

Subclass Name
    3rd Level - Bonus Spells, one spell per appropriate level.
    3rd Level - A ribbon that cements the flavor, but doesn't change all that much. Like performing Divination rituals in half the time, Proficiency with Disguise kit or advantage on Intelligence ability checks made to recognize a spell being cast. These are give the player some sense regarding their identity, but takes up 0 design space. The diviner learns that his character has performed A LOT of rituals, the Shadowblade learns that his character is good at making disguises, and the Sword mage realized that his character uses his superior knowledge in conjunction with his good reaction speed to thwart his enemies before they get a chance to finish their action.
    3rd Level - The selling feature of the subclass, on that changes something within the game world.
    10th Level - A feature that helps the subclass scale into the later tiers, and mostly happens outside the game world. Things like casting Misty Step, Augury or Disguise Self at-will.
    Mini-Cap: Something that combines the selling feature and the scaling feature. Like, once per long rest when you use your selling feature or scaling feature something amazing happens cause you're awesome.
    Yes, it is similar to the guideline that I had imposed on myself.

Less generally, I would like some features to allow to cast modified versions of certain spells, and some features that consume Arcane Smite charges.

I particularly like Shieldbond, I find it a less trivial version of swordbond. ^^

Regarding 9th Level Spells.
    I was also thinking. In order to get the feeling you are going for without completely going nuts, what do you think about stopping the spell progression at 16th level? This has the benefit of leaving the wizard as the most powerful spellcaster, and give you design space which in turn allows you to make the class features more powerful. This design space could be used for making cool mini-caps for the subclasses and just generally buff the martial aspects of the class, such as increasing all weapon damage by, xd8 force damage or something.

Like others have said, this is a really tough class to balance, so we really have to think about trimming away the base features in order to have space for more thematic and frequent class features.
    Mmm, i don't know... Let's keep this in mind, but as a last resort! XD Maybe we can mantain the full progression, and simply remove the 9th level column?

==========

Thanks again for all the advices, let me know what you think!

And don't forget about the wizard's subclass!
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2019-09-04 at 03:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Hi everyone!
    After your advice and various private consultations, I'm here to show you the new updates:

Base Class

• Added the column with the uses of Arcane Smite in the Class Table. For now it is the same as the Proficency Bonus, but we can change it if we want.
    • Moved Extra Attack to 9th level, Fighting Style to 6th, Battle Surge to 3rd and Spellblade Training to 2nd.
    • Added another Spellblade Training feature at 6th. In this way the progression is the same of the wizard. I chose this solution because I needed it for the Swordmage remake.

Arcane Defender

• Moved Shieldbond to 2nd level.
    • Added Empathic Charm at 6th. I recovered it from the old Swordmage.
    • Moved and reimagined Projected Shield at 10th.
    • Moved Arcane Reinforcement at 14th.
    • Changed the list of bonus spells. I tried to choose spells to help the party during explorations and to create safe shelters, as well as to emphasize teleport capabilities.

Shadowblade

• Left Camouflage Self at 2nd level. It is no longer necessary to launch Disguise Self to use it, which has been replaced among the bonus spells with Detect Magic.
    • Added Inquiring Eye at 6th.
    • Left Blinding Strike at 10th level.
    • Added Improved Camouflage Self at 14th. It is similar to the "Be the Shadow" feature Bjarkmundur suggests in an old post.
    • Changed the list of bonus spells. I tried to emphasize the spy/investigator side as well as the stealth side.

Swordmage

This one has undergone a real restyle. I got inspired by the Theurge. Surely it is a very lazy solution to make an archetype, but personally I find it also very elegant.

It can be summarized like this:

2nd level: Chose a wizard tradition from the ones below and learn a bonus spell of this tradition. You will learn another of the same tradition at 6th level and 10th level.

• Conjuration
    • Divination
    • Enchantment
    • Illusion
    • Necromancy
    • Thaumatology
    • Transmutation

6th level: gain your chosen tradition’s 2nd level benefits.

10th level: gain your chosen tradition’s 6th level benefits.

14th level: gain your chosen tradition’s 10th level benefits.

As you can see, I have removed from the list of traditions the Evocation one, which would have increased the damage too much, and the Abjuration one, which would have increased the defense too much, and which is already replaced by the Arcane Defender. I am in doubt whether to leave or remove the Divination tradition.

Spellblade as Wizard Archetype

At the moment this solution has not undergone particular updates. I will certainly change the wording of the progression of Arcane Smite charges as in the base class.

Whad do you think?
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2019-09-09 at 09:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

And again, i'm here for some updates!

I have nothing special for this time:

• Replaced the word "touch" with "5 feet" when referring to the range reduction.
    • Renamed the Swordmage archetype with Warmage.
    • Edited the archetype "Arcane Defender", which is now a worthy substitute for the Abjuration tradition not present among those that can be chosen from the archetype Warmage.
    • Removed, at least for now, the Sahdowblade archetype, which I could not place in the class.
    • Edited the first post of this topic by adding both the Base Class and the Wizard Archetype directly in the text (as in the two spoilers below).
    • Various Fix.

This is the Base Class:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellblade

Through study and training a spellblade is able to combine very different abilities. Whether they are dedicated to defending the borders of a kingdom, imposing their superiority or traveling in search of adventure, spellblades are always looking for new sources of knowledge to increase their skills and excel in every field.

Creating a Spellblade

Spellblades are masters of combat and mystical arts. Thanks to their training, a spellblade can wield any type of weapon and use every kind of shield and armor. In the same way it is able to channel powerful arcane abilities through its body and its weapon with devastating results.

Quick Build

You can make a spellblade quickly by following these suggestions. First, make Strength your highest ability score. Your next-highest score should be Intelligence. Second, choose the soldier background.

Class Features

As a spellblade you gain the following class features.

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d10 per spellblade level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + Constitution modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + Constitution modifier per spellblade level after 1st

Proficiencies

Armor: All armor, shields
    Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
    Tools: None
    Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
    Skills: Choose two skills from Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, History, Intimidation and Survival

Equipment

You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

• (a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons
    • (a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
    • (a) a dungeoneer’s pack or (b) a scholar’s pack

Table: The spellblade

Level Proficiency Bonus Features Arcane Smites Cantrips Known Spells Known 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st 2 Spellcasting, Arcane Smite 2 3 2 2
    2nd 2 Spellblade Training 2 3 3 3
    3rd 2 Battle Surge 2 3 4 4 2
    4th 2 Ability Score Improvement 2 4 5 4 3
    5th 3 3 4 6 4 3 2
    6th 3 Fighting Style, Spellblade Training 3 4 7 4 3 3
    7th 3 3 4 8 4 3 3 1
    8th 3 Ability Score Improvement 3 4 9 4 3 3 2
    9th 4 Extra Attack 4 4 10 4 3 3 3 1
    10th 4 Spellblade Training Feature 4 5 11 4 3 3 3 2
    11th 4 Carve Spells 4 5 12 4 3 3 3 2 1
    12th 4 Ability Score Improvement 4 5 12 4 3 3 3 2 1
    13th 5 5 5 13 4 3 3 3 2 1 1
    14th 5 Spellblade Training Feature 5 5 13 4 3 3 3 2 1 1
    15th 5 5 5 14 4 3 3 3 2 1 1 1
    16th 5 Ability Score Improvement 5 5 14 4 3 3 3 2 1 1 1
    17th 6 Improved Arcane Smite 6 5 15 4 3 3 3 2 1 1 1 1
    18th 6 Dissonant Strike 6 5 15 4 3 3 3 3 1 1 1 1
    19th 6 Ability Score Improvement 6 5 15 4 3 3 3 3 2 1 1 1
    20th 6 Superior Arcane Smite 6 5 15 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 1

Spellcasting

A spellblade is a warrior who applies its arcane studies to its martial techniques, releasing mystical energies directly from its body. Due of their hybrid nature, all spellblade's spells and cantrips have range reduced to 5 feet. Spells or abilities that normally increase the range of a spell have no effect.

Cantrips

You know two cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list. You learn additional spellblade cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Spellblade table.

Spell Slots

The Spellblade table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spellblade spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell Magic Missile and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast Magic Missile using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher

You know four 1st-level spells of your choice from the wizard spell list. The Spells Known column of the Spellblade table shows when you learn more wizard spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the table. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the spells you know and replace it with another spell from the wizard spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability

Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your spellblade spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a wizard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
    Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Ritual Casting

You can cast any spellblade spell you know as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag.

Spellcasting Focus

You can use your own weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spellblade spells.

Arcane Smite

When you cast a spell or a cantrip with a casting time of an action, that requires a spell attack roll, you can channel the effects through the weapon you wield.

To do so, make a single melee attack, using the ability modifier of the weapon, instead of the spell attack roll, and add the attack damage to the effects of the spell. Using this feature counts as an Attack Action in order to use the extra attacks granted by the Extra Attack feature.

Once you have used this feature the number of times shown for your spellblade level in the Arcane Smites column of the Spellblade table, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Spellblade Training

At 2nd level, you choose to undertake special training to specialize your techniques. Choose Arcane Defender or Warmage, both detailed at the end of the class description. The archetype you choose grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th, 10th and 14th level.

Battle Surge

You can release the power of spells directly from your body.

Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast area-effect spells without suffering from instantaneous effects even if you are within range. To do so the spell's origin must be centered on yourself, or, if required, you must be the target of the spell.

Ability Score Increase

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Fighting Style

At 6th level you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options.

Defense

While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling

When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Great Weapon Fighting

When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Protection

When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

Two-Weapon Fighting

When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Extra Attack

Beginning at 9th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

This feature can be used together with the Arcane Smite feature.

Carve Spells

Beginning at 11th level, you can create pockets of relative safety within the effects of your spells. When you cast an Evocation spell using your Battle Surge feature, you can choose a number of creatures equal to 1 + the spell's level. The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

Improved Arcane Smite

At 17th level, you have become skillful at casting spells while fighting and you can take advantage of uncanny energies and powers. When you use Arcane Smite while casting a cantrip, you no longer expend uses of this feature.

Dissonant Strike

At 18th level, you learn how to make your weapon strikes undercut a creature's resistance to your spells. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, that creature has disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes against a spell you cast before the end of your next turn.

Superior Arcane Smite

At 20th level, you no longer have limits on the number of uses of the Arcane Smite feature.

Spellblade Training

Arcane Defender

Those who decide to defend their comrades and support them in and out of battle choose to train as Arcane Defenders.

Bonus Spells

When you undertake this training at 2nd level, you gain access to specific magical knowledge. Add two spells belonging to the Abjuration school to your list of known spells. You will learn a new spell of the same school on the 6th and 10th level. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots at the time you learn them.

Shieldbond

Once you've reached 6th level, you can spend 1 hour of meditation and forge a special bond with a chosen shield. This bond lasts until you create a new one, but you can't benefit from the following effects if you are holding another shield, a second weapon or a two-handed weapon with your off-hand.

As a bonus action, you can teleport your bonded shield to orbit around one of your ally located within 45 feet of you. It gains all the benefits guaranteed by the shield, as if it were holding it, as long as it remains within 45 feet of you. Otherwise, the shield comes back to you.

Also, if your ally is within 45 feet of you, you can cast your abjuration spells as if you were positioned in the shield square. You can also consider the ally as yourself in order to use the abjuration spells that have Self as range descriptor, or require a reaction.

Arcane Reinforcement

At 10th level, when the ally you are protecting with your Shieldbond feature is the target of an attack, you can use your reaction and one charge of your Arcane Smite feature to teleport both of you on each other position before the attack. You can choose to keep your bonded shield on your new position or to teleport it with your ally. When you use this feature, you will not be able to use the Arcane Smite feature or spend its uses until the end of your next turn.

Improved Abjuration

Beginning at 14th level, when you cast an abjuration spell that requires you to make an ability check as a part of casting that spell (as in Counterspell and Dispel Magic), you add your proficiency bonus to that ability check.

Warmage

Those who aim to specialize in a particular branch of magic, choose to follow the studies of an ancient tradition. Scholars who combine study and training in this way are called Warmage.

Scholar Training

When you choose this training at 2nd level, choose a wizard tradition from the ones listed below:

• Conjuration
    • Divination
    • Enchantment
    • Illusion
    • Necromancy
    • Thaumatology
    • Transmutation

Bonus Spells

When you undertake this training at 2nd level, you gain access to specific magical knowledge. Add two spells belonging to the tradition you have chosen to your list of known spells. You will learn a new spell of the same tradition on the 6th and 10th level. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots at the time you learn them.

Trained Novice

At 6th level, you gain your chosen tradition’s 2nd level benefits.

Trained Student

At 10th level, you gain your chosen tradition’s 6th level benefits.

Trained Academic

At 14th level, you gain your chosen tradition’s 10th level benefits.

This is the Wizard Archetype:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellblade

The school of the Spellblade studies the use of magic to awaken the martial skills of its disciples. Through a ritual, the mind and body of scholars are altered, and also changes the behavior of the magic as they know it. The Dungeon Master may require you to perform specific actions in order to access the ritual, such as contacting the disciples of the school or passing certain endurance tests. The ritual lasts one night, after which you will get the following features:

Mark of the Ritual

On your skin appears a shimmering mark, which shines with a suffused blue light every time you use your arcane powers. When you undergo the ritual at 2nd level, you get the following effects:

• You can chose to swap your Intelligence and Strength scores once. This action is not reversible. If you do, you gain two levels of Exhaustion.
    • You gain 2 hit points. From now on, anytime you obtain a new level, you gain 1 additional hit point.
    • All your spells and cantrips have range reduced to 5 feet. Spells or abilities that normally increase the range of a spell have no effect. Also you can use your own weapon as a spellcasting focus for your wizard spells.

Bonus Proficiency

Mystical martial knowledge flows into your body. At 2nd level, you also gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and all weapons.

Arcane Smite

Starting at 2nd level, when you cast a spell or a cantrip with a casting time of an action, that requires a spell attack roll, you can channel the effects through the weapon you wield.

To do so, make a single melee attack, using the ability modifier of the weapon, instead of the spell attack roll, and add the attack damage to the effects of the spell. Using this feature counts as an Attack Action in order to use the extra attacks granted by the Extra Attack feature.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your actual Proficency Bonus. You recover all the uses spent when completing a short rest.

Battle Surge

You can release the power of spells directly from your body.

Once you reach 6th level, you can cast area-effect spells without suffering from instantaneous effects even if you are within range. To do so the spell's origin must be centered on yourself, or, if required, you must be the target of the spell.

Fighting Style

At 6th level you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options.

Defense

While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling

When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Great Weapon Fighting

When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Protection

When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

Two-Weapon Fighting

When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Carve Spells

When you reach 10th level, you can create pockets of relative safety within the effects of your spells. When you cast an Evocation spell using your Battle Surge feature, you can choose a number of creatures equal to 1 + the spell's level. The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the spell, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

Extra Attack

Beginning at 10th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. This feature can be used togheter with the Arcane Smite feature.

Improved Arcane Smite

At 14th level, you have become skillful at casting spells while fighting and you can take advantage of uncanny energies and powers. When you use Arcane Smite while casting a cantrip, you no longer expend uses of this feature.
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2019-09-29 at 02:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    Wow, i'm honored!

Ok, it should be more clear.

mmm, actually i don't mind if a handful of spells become more difficult or impossible to use, I like the idea that the player should think differently than usual. Anyway, maybe I could rewrite the feature like that:

Battle Surge

A spellblade can release the power of spells directly from his body.

Once you reach 2nd level, you can cast area-effect spells without suffering from instantaneous effects even if you are within range. To do so the spell's origin must be centered on yourself, or, if required, you must be the target of the spell.

More than anything else consider that, as far as I know, the only spell that exploits such mechanic is Chain Lightning.

Ok, so remain the problem of the Carve Spells feature... I think that for now I will modify it in order to make it absorb all the damage, however opinions are welcome!

Thankyou again for all the help!
    Help me out, I can find spellblade in the manual, what a heck? Are you all talkling about 5e DnD?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newbie padawan View Post
    Help me out, I can find spellblade in the manual, what a heck? Are you all talkling about 5e DnD?
    HI newbie padawan! Yes, we are talking about 5e Dnd, but all this content are homebrewed, so basically made by players to fit certain needs, or just to create something new and personal. You can't find the Spellblade there because:

- It does not exist in any manual.
    - It isn't a spell, it's a brand new class.

Anyway, you can find the newest version of the Spellblade in the link in my signature.

10. - Top - End - #40

PaladinGuy

I'm rolling one up now, as if I were using it in one of my games!
    Don't look to deep into it, a lot of houserule-y stuff going on here. But, when creating it at 3rd level I noticed.....

• Wait, I get an instrument?
    • Shield Bond states 45 feet. That's an odd number? Is there a reason for not using the standard 30 or 60 feet?
    • I really love that you reduced the number of subclasses. It makes the experience of creating a character so much smoother!
    • Wait, what about burning hands? Is it just 5 feet? So area spells are just, not? Or does the thing only apply to ranged spells?
    • Um, can't i just deliver all spells with my familiar then, since they can deliver touch spells? Originally, the Familar can only deliver a select few touch spells. But now, all the spells are touch spells. Dude, I think you just increased the range of all wizard spells to 100 feet....
    • I might be wrong, but does that mean I can just stand in a Fog Cloud and use my familiar to kill stuff?
    • 2nd level spells are amazing! Not only can I cast so many area spells and just exclude myself from the area, but I can also use Dragon's Breath to give myself a 15 foot cone attack, and SHADOW BLADE :O :O :O

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

I'm rolling one up now, as if I were using it in one of my games!
    Don't look to deep into it, a lot of houserule-y stuff going on here. But, when creating it at 3rd level I noticed.....

• Wait, I get an instrument?
    • Shield Bond states 45 feet. That's an odd number? Is there a reason for not using the standard 30 or 60 feet?
    • I really love that you reduced the number of subclasses. It makes the experience of creating a character so much smoother!
    I think you are looking at an old version! Try the one in my signature. It is more polished, have no subclasses since it's tailored around the needs of my table, have a reduced spell progression (2/3, up to 7th level) and some other nice things, like a sort of caster's rage.

• Wait, what about burning hands? Is it just 5 feet? So area spells are just, not? Or does the thing only apply to ranged spells?
    Burning hands have a range of self, 15 feet is the radius! Self is lower than Touch, so it's not "reduced to Touch".

• Um, can't i just deliver all spells with my familiar then, since they can deliver touch spells? Originally, the Familar can only deliver a select few touch spells. But now, all the spells are touch spells. Dude, I think you just increased the range of all wizard spells to 100 feet....
    • I might be wrong, but does that mean I can just stand in a Fog Cloud and use my familiar to kill stuff?
    You are right, I should probably add a [MulticlassException] to avoid this.

• 2nd level spells are amazing! Not only can I cast so many area spells and just exclude myself from the area, but I can also use Dragon's Breath to give myself a 15 foot cone attack, and SHADOW BLADE :O :O :O
    Mh, yes, like anyone O_o. Remember that you can't cast two spells of 1st lever or higher in the same turn.
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2021-10-29 at 11:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    I think you are looking at an old version! Try the one in my signature. It is more polished.
    Oooo! That looks nice. Formatting is whack though, and half the page is offscreen. Could you check it out, and perhaps enable the A4 Page Size and Ink Friendly options so I can print it out and bring it to my next session? ^^

Burning hands have a range of self, 15 feet is the radius! Self is lower than Touch, so it's not "reduced to Touch".
    Hehehe. Can you tell I don't play blastercasters? Thanks for clarifying <3

You are right, I should probably add a [MulticlassException] to avoid this.
    Hey, at least I got something right! xD
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, do I'm curious to see how you get around that. I remember you were specifically against your class being used as an "armored turret".

Mh, yes, like anyone O_o.
    Be nice to the Paladin player. I'm seeing half of these spells for for the first time :O xD

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Oooo! That looks nice. Formatting is whack though, and half the page is offscreen. Could you check it out, and perhaps enable the A4 Page Size and Ink Friendly options so I can print it out and bring it to my next session? ^^
    Mmm, strange! Have you tried using Google Chrome?

I can try giving you the pdf version when I reach my pc