New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Kratos = Tyr?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Kratos = Tyr?

Obvious unmarked God of War spoilers ahead!

Is Kratos Tyr from the past? We already know that the giants called Atreus something other than his given name (Loki), so it'd make sense that they'd have an alternate name for Kratos. Kratos also mentioned that the murals on the walls in Jotunheim are about Atreus's story, not Kratos's, so it'd make sense that there wasn't Kratos's "giant" name on the walls for Atreus to question.

Mimir mentions that the World Serpent was hit so hard that he was sent back in time, so maybe Kratos went along with him? There is a final mural behind a cloth that Atreus doesn't see that shows Kratos and Atreus being...bonded by some snake apparition-thing, and so maybe the World Serpent maintains a connection between Atreus and his father through itself?

Lastly, Tyr represents everything that Kratos wants to be. He wants to become better, kill only out of necessity, and spare those who deserve it. He's surprisingly intelligent and resourceful, hidden under brutality and callousness. It'd make sense that Kratos would become a sage-like keeper of peace, especially if he was trying to be a role model for Atreus.

Additionally, all of Tyr's gear are things that are actually the best in their class, things that enhance all of Kratos' stats.

The game treats Tyr as this beacon of perfection, where only good things come from. But the game wouldn't implement a hero that's better than Kratos, at the risk of creating some odd dynamics between his character growth and Atreus's upbringing. I can't imagine Kratos being friends with anything, really, especially not something that's better than him in almost every way.

Lastly, the game IS called God of War. Not God of War 4. Maybe it's not about the advancement of Kratos's story, but the beginning of Tyr's (a DIFFERENT God of War).

The big thing keeping this from being true is that Tyr is mentioned being fooled by Odin and disappointed by the brutality of the gods. Unless Kratos lost his knowledge of the gods, I don't understand how he'd let Odin and Thor do things like murder his wife's family.

I dunno. I could be crazy. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Kratos = Tyr?

Kratos is Laufy.

Like... that's it. They even show a triptych (if I recall correctly) about the giant who is Loki's father, obviously not called that since they didn't want to spoil the twist, and he's a big grey-ish giant of a man who is eventually killed by Thor. And it's pretty blatantly Kratos. And the end of the game is Kratos getting confronted by Thor. And remember, Triptych's aren't necessarily historical in this universe, they can be the future.

So yeah. Kratos is Laufy.

Additionally, Tyr is literally shown in game as being someone who went to the other lands and found other Gods of War, including Aeris. Tyr's already come and gone, and while yes the literal knocked into next week idea is valid, I don't think Kratos is allowed to time travel anymore. The Fates may be dead but they sure hate him.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-18 at 05:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Kratos is Laufy.

Like... that's it. They even show a triptych (if I recall correctly) about the giant who is Loki's father, obviously not called that since they didn't want to spoil the twist, and he's a big grey-ish giant of a man who is eventually killed by Thor. And it's pretty blatantly Kratos. And the end of the game is Kratos getting confronted by Thor. And remember, Triptych's aren't necessarily historical in this universe, they can be the future.

So yeah. Kratos is Laufy.

Additionally, Tyr is literally shown in game as being someone who went to the other lands and found other Gods of War, including Aeris. Tyr's already come and gone, and while yes the literal knocked into next week idea is valid, I don't think Kratos is allowed to time travel anymore. The Fates may be dead but they sure hate him.
    Laufey is Faye, Atreus's mother.

Although, by that logic, Kratos is Farbauti. There's hardly any information on him from what I can find, other than the fact that he may be related to fire, violence and cruelty.

So...yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Laufey is Faye, Atreus's mother.

Although, by that logic, Kratos is Farbauti. There's hardly any information on him from what I can find, other than the fact that he may be related to fire, violence and cruelty.

So...yeah.
    RIGHT! That's how they did it I forgot because it's been so long since I played the game. The triptych I was thinking of is about Farbauti too, if I recall! I love that I'm right when being wrong, it's the coolest

But yeah that's what I meant. That is definitely what I meant. Fire and chaos and violence, that's good ole Farbauti. A character who is otherwise not well known due to history just losing information over the years is the perfect stand in for your OC character to take the reigns of, and it truthfully does work so well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Kratos = Tyr?
    So that would make Kratos into the grandfather of Fenris who bit his right hand off?
    If that's the case, then 'm guessing then that the real explanation wasn't because of any deal gone wrong, but simply because he was tired of playing on easy mode.
    Last edited by Misereor; 2019-07-19 at 03:54 AM.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -