New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Cool things to do with Gravity Plating

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I really like that. And since it has to be in between two plates it doesn't work for a drive system and it just gets used for making fake Gravity. Wonderfully simple
    It stops the far off effects (and prevents tidal forces near by). I'm not really sure how big they'd have been anyway, possibly comparable to having a moon hanging around (the radius and hence the (effective) mass is a lot less) ?

At that point it's almost like an electromagnet, which obviously doesn't have too many effects at a distance (in fact the E-M does have some at close range, making it useful, while the posited gravity one doesn't).
    The problem with that is that it leaves the perpetual motion, so I'd be inclined to copy the E-M a bit more closely, we know that doesn't have any perpetual motion loopholes.
    If you leave it slight open as to whether it's truly Gravity (with negative mass) or Electrostatics (with universal attraction), and how you managed to create it. Then I I think you can gish gallop any changes how you want to.
    Last edited by jayem; 2019-07-30 at 05:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I really like that. And since it has to be in between two plates it doesn't work for a drive system and it just gets used for making fake Gravity. Wonderfully simple
    I'd recommend, too, that you have it be not-quite-perfect. So, say the energy required to make it work is the cube of the distance, and hits a sweetspot at about 1.8 m. So ships have corridors that are just a bit claustrophobic, and tall people complaining about having to stoop, and the captain's cabins being the only ones with proper height because rank hath its privileges and the like. A passing reference to dogs really not liking the effect is also nice, regardless, because it suggests that it's probably bad for us, but still the kind of crap soldiers have to put up with.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'd recommend, too, that you have it be not-quite-perfect. So, say the energy required to make it work is the cube of the distance, and hits a sweetspot at about 1.8 m. So ships have corridors that are just a bit claustrophobic, and tall people complaining about having to stoop, and the captain's cabins being the only ones with proper height because rank hath its privileges and the like. A passing reference to dogs really not liking the effect is also nice, regardless, because it suggests that it's probably bad for us, but still the kind of crap soldiers have to put up with.

Grey Wolf
    Thats nice, and a great idea for the setting. Bonus points for that it's actually fine, dogs just hate how it feels but thats basically impossible to prove so there are people who think it's giving everyone space cancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel