Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 208
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    High Cromlech
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Varcolac

    Varcolac smiles under her cloak of shadows, almost laughing at the pathetic shot...
    "Hadn't you heard? Flames cast shadows.."
    But only for so long, she thinks, forehead under a sheen of sweat...she strikes.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Varcolac will attack the strongest-looking of the two opponents that appear to be in striking range. Following the attack, she will move into a guard position nearer Lyanne, such that an opponent moving toward her will provoke, and fades.

    (1d20+3)[15] Attack
    (1d6+3)[7] Damage

    (1d20+13)[32] Stealth


  2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    The rogue who continues to burn merrily works up the nerve to fire his crossbow at Torrent,1 catching her squarely in the neck. She reels in pain, but remains on her feet, reloads her crossbow, and returns fire.2 Her crossbow bolt flies into his left eyeball and pins the back of his head to the wall behind him. It's rather apparent that the half-orc is dead. Once this is done, she tosses a potion to Lyanne.

    The second newly-entered half-orc steps into the fire3, nimbly avoiding the flames, and swings at Cyrick with his morningstar.4 His attack glances harmlessly off of Cyrick's shield.

    Sovorian moves (5' step) towards the half-orc that just attacked Cyrick and slices at him with his mind-blade. The half-orc, thrown off-balance by avoiding the flames, is unable to dodge Sovorian's blow and collapses, unfortunately landing directly on the fire.

    Helionaluxis takes a swing at the greatsword-wielding human, but he nimbly dodges her blow. Varcolac also takes this opportunity to move (G4); both of her targets gone, she has nothing to attack.

    Cyrick moves towards the swordsman (I5) and swings a mighty blow at him, crying out a battle cry that is lost amongst an explosion that came from down the street. Startled by the explosion, his attack misses, and his new foe strikes back at him, but he too misses.5 Seeing all his men dead or dying, the human turns to run down the street (J1).6

    Lyanne drinks the potion given her by Torrent, and she immediately feels refreshed.7

    Round 3.

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Cyrick quickly pounces on the opening left to him by the swordsman, shouting, "Coward!" With that, he aims the flat of his blade at the man, calling upon the power of the Stone Dragon to grant his greater power. After that, he runs to the door and looks out to make sure there aren't any more opponents waiting for them outside.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AoO: Using Shockwave Fist
    Move: Moving outside
    Standard: Awareness check
    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shockwave Fist Attack: (1d20+8=9) (Aaaand crap. Not even gonna bother with the rest of the rolls for that attack.)
    Awareness: (1d20+2=6)(Cyrick has NO IDEA what's going on!)
    Maneuvers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If we're still considered in combat after this...
    Maneuver granted: (1d2=2) (Shockwave Fist)
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-10-13 at 02:00 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis swings at the swordsman's back as he flees, then drops her arms, pulls out her bow, and steps out onto the street. Her eyes narrow as she lets an arrow sail after him. After that, she takes a moment to look at the situation outside before stepping back into the tavern to retrieve her arms.

    Actions:
    • (AoO) Hits AC 20 for 4 dmg.
    • (Free) Drop sword, shield.
    • (Move) Pull out longbow, step onto street far enough to get a clear shot.
    • (Standard) Shoot the swordsman, hits AC 18 for 5 dmg.
    • (Free) Observe situation outside.

    Rolls:
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis and Cyrick take swings at the fleeing man. Cyrick misses, Helionaluxis does not. He slows, but does not stop, and Helionaluxis drops her gear, pulls out a bow, and shoots him in the back of the neck. He collapses, bleeding and unconscious, to the ground.

    We are out of rounds.

    The inn continues to burn merrily, and as you step outside, you can see that the bombing of the city is just now ending. Torrent speaks: "We should meet with Rivereye. I hope he's alright. Does anyone need healing?"

    The streets are starting to fill with panicking people, and though the bombing has ended, you can hear that a battle has begun at the west wall. Townsfolk rush about trying to put out fires or get to the shelter of temples, and soldiers hurry to their posts, slowed by the throng and chaos. All the while, bells ring urgent warnings up and down the mountain pass.

    In the sky above, you can see Gate Pass gryphonriders and Ragesian wyvernriders battle. Some of the wyvernriders are dropping the bombs before entering into aerial combat. One actually lies undetonated in front of you, appearing to be a hollow sphere of clay, filled with oil and what looks like a flask of alchemist's fire and a thunderstone.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "I wasn't injured in the battle." All the while Cyrick watches the scene unfold in the street, his expression grim. He thinks to himself, "Meeting with Rivereye would be for the greater good. Better chances to strike back will come if I follow these people..." With that, he waits for Torrent to lead the way.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-10-13 at 02:48 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis silently puts away her bow and steps back into the inn to retrieve her dropped equipment.

    "Ragesian wyvernriders are softening the city for their army at the west wall. We have no time to waste."

    Helionaluxis heads upstairs to quickly check for any survivors, then rejoins the group below.

    Aura: You notice your inner fire disappears when she steps out of sight or gets more than 30' away, then reappears when she gets closer.

    Awareness check for Survivors (1d20+1=8)
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    There are no survivors upstairs, despite there being at least four burning half-orcs up there.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Lyanne wipes the blood from her blade and re-sheathes hit. "The bleeding's stopped, but my arm could use some attention. What about you? Let me help you with that bolt."

    She looks around as she steps over to Torrent. "Careful of that bomb. Can someone check if our friend here is still breathing, and if he's got any sort of identification or insignia on him?

    "Obviously our plans are a little off kilter now, but the goal is still the same. If we can show Menash proof that the Ragesians sent a strike team into the city, in secret, before the council could make their offer, it should strengthen our case."


    Status: 13/22hp

  10. - Top - End - #70

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis steps downstairs and listens to Lyanne. She looks slightly... incredulous at her comment about strengthening our case.

    "Do you hear the swords? The bells? The Ragesian army is already attacking. Their wyverns are above us. The Council will not care about angering them further.

    "Their leader is still breathing, but not for long. We should strip him; I doubt anything he can say will be worth our time right now."
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-10-13 at 03:36 PM.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Lyanne shakes her head. "It's not a matter of angering the Empire. They've attacked, that was expected. But if they were willing to send in troops like this to target the resistance specifically, the chances that capitulation would accomplish anything are lowered. It makes the council members who advocated it look bad. Provide Menash with proof of this incident and we'll be handing him a weapon to use against his opponents."

    As she speaks she helps Torrent tend to the cleric's own wounds.

    "For that matter, if we can keep even one of these from bleeding out, we can hand Menash prisoners as well. That's got to be worth our passage."

    Finishing with Torrent, she turns and strides back into the inn to drag out any still-breathing half-orcs she can find.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Fully three half-orcs plus the human are still breathing, albeit shallowly. The rest are dead, either from your weapons or from the flames. Gathering them together is easy enough.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Cyrick shakes his head. "Though I had hoped it wouldn't come to this, the time for diplomacy has long sense passed now that the war has begun. I doubt Menash will have any trouble finding means to show that submitting as the council has was ineffective; look around you, the city burns and the people flee in the streets! We need to move quickly, to meet this 'Rivereye' and do what we can to help control this battle. I agree with Helionaluxis; we haven't time to interrogate our attackers." It's worth noting that Cyrick seems to have no trouble pronouncing the woman's name.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-10-13 at 03:39 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    "I do not like the thought of dragging prisoners with us; our mission has already been complicated enough.

    "...We could knock them out and leave them here for the city guard to capture after the battle. One moment."


    She closes her eyes and her aura changes again. You feel your heart beat more vigorously, and a refreshing feeling spreads out from it. A few of Torrent's wounds seal themselves up, and all of the prisoners quit bleeding out and stabilize as their wounds mend at an accelerated rate. After a moment, your inner vigor is replaced by the inner fire once again. Helionaluxis nods at her handiwork, then turns to the others.

    "The Dragon's Vigor awakens a body's regeneration, encouraging it to mend the gravest wounds itself, but it doesn't restore them to perfect health. It will help you conserve your healing spells, Torrent."

    Helionaluxis quickly strips the prisoners of all their weapons and then begins hitting them with the flat of her sword, making sure they stay unconscious for a while. She stops before she hits the last two.

    "If you want to interrogate them, speak now."

    If no one speaks up, she knocks them out as well and leaves them in a nearby building for the guard to pick up later.

    Aura: Helionaluxis switches to her Vigor aura (Fast Healing 2 up to 50% max HP) for one round, then switches back to Fire Resistance 10 aura.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    With a shake of his head, Cyrick says, "I can think of nothing worth asking; we can guess who sent them and for what purpose." Then he pauses for a moment and says, "Though one things does bother me..."

    He kneels down to the nearest of the now awake orcs and says, forcefully, "How did you find us?"

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis almost grins when Cyrick pronounces her name correctly. Almost. When she sees Cyrick wants to talk to one of them, she switches her aura to Dragon's Vigor until one of them comes to. She never takes her sword off that one while he's awake, either.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    During the stripping process, Helionaluxis comes across a bounty hunter's warrant on the human's prone body, as well as a claimant notice by a group called the Black Horse Bounty Hunters. The warrant looks to be for spellcasters that are not part of the Ragesian military. 100 gold pieces a head. Apparently they were here for Torrent. The human also carries identification documents marking him as Kathor Danava, as well as a bounty hunter's permit for the Black Horse Bounty Hunters.

    The human scowls. "We were not looking for you, in particular, but for her," he says, nodding towards Torrent. "Price on 'er head, just like any other spellcaster within reach of the Ragesians."

    The possessions they carry are as follows:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 6 saps
    • 5 short swords
    • 2 morningstars
    • 1 masterwork greatsword
    • 1 composite longbow
    • 6 light crossbows
    • 4 thunderstones
    • 2 tanglefoot bags
    • 2 unidentified potions
    • 2 suits of studded leather
    • 4 suits of scale mail
    • 1 suit of half-plate
    • 4 light wooden shields
    • 56 bolts
    • 40 arrows
    • 30 gp
    • 1 portable battering ram

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "You didn't answer my question." Cyrick grabs the neck of the man's shirt and pulls him up so that he cannot escape his glare. "How did you find us? Or her? Whatever the case may be, I will know this."

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-10-13 at 04:34 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    He smiles. "The dog." He nods at an emaciated bloodhound that sits on the streetcorner, looking woefully at the party and their prisoners. "This'un's got a particular gift for the scent o' magics."

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "I see..." Cyrick lets go of the man and stands upright, looking to the dog with a frown. "That could prove to be a problem, then... But for now I suppose we have bigger problems," he says, looking to the burning buildings around. "We should make for Rivereye, I think."

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis reads the warrant, listens to Kathor, and looks at the dog. After Cyrick's done with him, she smiles toothily at Kathor.

    "My master is interested in your services. She can reward you very well... if you behave. If not, she won't be as forgiving as I am.

    "You do not need to find her, she will find you."


    With that, she knocks Kathor unconscious again.

    "Let's go."

    Actions:
    • Bluff: (Result: 8) Lying that her master already knows about him and is interested in his services.
    • Intimidation: (Result: 19) Insinuating that her master will punish him dearly if he continues hunting down non-Ragesian magic users like this.


    Rolls:
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "All right," Lyanne concedes. "They haven't the value as prisoners that I'd hoped." She examines the documents Helionaluxis found. "I say we take what we can use, dump the rest far away, and leave them here for the watch."

    She frowns as she rereads the papers, paying particular attention to the group's name.

    Knowledge (history): 12 (to see what she knows about the bounty hunters, and specifically, if there are more of them out there).

    Rolls:

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    The Black Horse Bounty Hunters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This disreputable band consists of about twenty-five men, commanded by Renard Woodsman, who stays at his camp is in the mountains south of Gate Pass. Renard's second-in-command, Kathor Danava, is in charge of the bounty hunters' mission to capture magic-users in the city.

    Kathor was formerly in the Ragesian military—his father is the general leading the army coming to Gate Pass—but he left recently, apparently under some supposed threat from the Inquisitors.

    All Black Horse members wear an armband—red, with a black horse head, and letters that say 'Black Horse' in Ignan.

    If you know Ignan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The armbands read 'Murderers', not 'Black Horse'. Apparently the tailor that fashioned them was not particularly satisfied with the troupe.


    Lyanne also realizes that the bounty hunting document has an attachment--a diplomatic passport that allows Kathor--and only Kathor--to enter and exit the city freely.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis quickly separates the valuable gear from the rest.

    "Let's split this weight and leave quickly; we've already spent too much time with this scum."

    Helionaluxis replaces her longbow with the composite MW longbow she picked up if no one objects.

    Loot Divvy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Note: Will add more items to Keep list if people request them.

    Keep:
    • 30 gp
    • 1 masterwork greatsword
    • 1 composite longbow +1
    • 4 thunderstones
    • 2 tanglefoot bags
    • 2 unidentified potions
    • 1 suit of half-plate (if we can carry it)


    Lose:
    • 6 saps
    • 5 short swords
    • 2 morningstars
    • 6 light crossbows
    • 2 suits of studded leather
    • 4 suits of scale mail
    • 4 light wooden shields
    • 56 bolts
    • 40 arrows
    • 1 portable battering ram
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Demented One's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Sovorian

    While the others deal with the subdued bounty hunters, Sovorian goes over to look at their tracker dog. "Good dog...come here, I won't hurt you." he mutters softly, trying not to alarm the dog. He digs through his pockets for a scrap of half-eaten jerky from his breakfast, and slips it to the hound.

    Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

    (1d20+1)[18]
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

    Homebrew by The Demented One.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "Hold on," Lyanne says slowly. "I recognize these names - his, and his group's.

    "They camp out to the south, in the mountains, in the direction we need to go. And we've got his warrant - along with a passport in his name... and his identification.

    "If we play this just right we could walk straight out through the gate - if we can convince the guards that one of us is our unconscious friend here. And even better, they won't have the documentation to get out and down to let their friends know what's happened."


    She turns to Cyrick. "So tell me, how are your acting skills?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we take the arrows, too. Fax, how are we doing for time until our rendezvous?

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Cyrick shakes his head. "I am not a good lier."

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    "I could impersonate him with the right magic and mindset. We should see what we can find along the way to help us."

    She looks at Lyanne.

    "I see your fighting's improved."
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "Thank you. I've been training. I see you've learned to breathe fire." Lyanne stoops to collect Kathor's armor. "We're pressed for time. Let's get to the rendezvous and sort this out there. We probably should take the chance to cover more than our names, too, before we find ourselves in combat again."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •