New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

Varcolac

Varcolac briefly considers slitting the mercenary's throat...then thinks better of it.
    When things aren't so...crowded, perhaps.
    She focuses her mind on her psionically empowered mount...

::Aegar, to me ::
    In response, an insectoid mental chittering rings out, and Aegar bounds down the street at top speed- apparently, it's a black-shelled beetle-like creature carrying a hefty saddle, to which is strapped a beautiful steel-banded lance, ornamented with a pattern of closed eyes.

The Rogue, green eyes glittering with mischief, spends a moment in telepathic consultation with the creature, then swings into the saddle and takes up her lance, grinning- after carefully removing the thunderstone from the unexploded bomb.
    The beetle-steed takes the explosive in its front two legs and rolls it carefully in front of it, ending with it- and her- before the others.

"Agreed, let's head for the rendezvous and stop patting one another on the back. Now we have insurance....so let's go meet our dear old friend Rivereye, and our dear old enemies, too, shan't we?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lyanne consults the papers again. "This one may be more valuable than we'd thought," she comments. "If I'm remembering right, he has family ties in the Ragesian military - high up, possibly in the very army at the gates. If we don't have time to trade him to the council, the resistance may find him useful." She looks to Torrent. "It's up to you. Best to decide quickly."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis nods at Lyanne's suggestion. "We'll discuss it on the way there, since we may fight again before we meet the contact."

Helionaluxis raises an eyebrow at Varcolac's mount. "Just be careful with that explosive."
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"Up to me? Well, let's go meet the contact and speak of the pros and cons of both on the way there, then."

As you begin, you pass a family in the streets. The father is burnt and barely standing, having run back inside his burning house to try to rescue his wife, whose unconscious and burnt body he carries. With his three children, huddled in coats and whimpering, the man croaks out cries for help before collapsing from exhaustion.

5. - Top - End - #95

Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis glances at the family as they pass, then stops.

"Wait here."

She walks up to the family, looks at the unconscious parents & the huddling children, and silently kneels next to the parents. The Dragon's Vigor radiates over the family as she checks the parents' wounds.

Heal check: Diagnose Injuries (1d20+6=15)

Aura: Switching to Vigor aura until the whole family has at least 3 HP apiece.

6. - Top - End - #96

Upon seeing the family, Cyrick runs in behind Helionaluxis, kneeling down beside the children. "Don't worry, young ones; my friend here will take care of your parents... Is there anyone else inside?" He speaks in the gentlest tone he can manage.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Lyanne rummages in her pack for a waterskin, smiling at the parched-looking children as she pours some out. "Let us help," she tells them.

Though the same can't be said for everyone, she thinks. No doubt there are a lot of others in this situation throughout the city. We can't stop for all of them. Yet as she helps the children drink her hands seem steadier, and the smell of blood less intense than it has been since leaving the inn.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

One of the children speaks. "Nope. Jus' daddy 'n mommy 'n us. Daddy was brave." He looks to be about four.

Sovorian notices that the dog won't stop following him. On close inspection, it bears a collar with the word "Sauce" written on it.

The father awakens momentarily, but lapses back into unconsciousness, probably from exhaustion. His wife remains in a similar state.

9. - Top - End - #99

Lyanne ruffles the child's hair before standing and putting away the water. She draws Helionaluxis a little way aside so that the children cannot hear.

"How do the parents look?" she asks. "I would not like to leave them here alone with the adults still unconscious, but I don't think we can risk finding the guard to help. And we need to keep moving."

10. - Top - End - #100

Helionaluxis

*to Lyanne* "Then we find someone closer to take care of them."

Helionaluxis frowns at the parents, then looks at the children.

"We have to get going, but we can't leave you like this. Did some friends of your parents live nearby? We're going to leave you in their hands before we head off. You'll be safe there, all of you."

Helionaluxis lifts up the mother, supporting her on her shoulder.

Helionaluxis will go to a house the children point out, carrying the mother. (I assume someone else will take the father.) She will then knock on their door and ask them to take care of the parents and their kids for the night.

If the children can't point out a friendly house, Helionaluxis will pick a nearby one at random, knock, and, if the inhabitants look trustworthy, ask them to watch them instead.

Diplomacy check (Take family for the night) (1d20+4=21)
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-10-14 at 10:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Helionaluxis has a little trouble finding a family that is both home and will open the door, but one family just down the street is both home and knows the children. They accept them with open arms, and batten down the hatches when bidden.

12. - Top - End - #102

Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis smiles for a moment, then grows serious.

"We've spent too much time already. Let's go."

She then heads off.

13. - Top - End - #103

Varcolac

"We can't...well. Alright."
    Her expression softens momentarily- she almost looks like she's going to go all weepy drunk.

She helps Helionaluxis port the couple and shepherd the kids; she's no diplomat, but those nearby can hear her telling silly jokes and pulling funny faces for the frightened tots.

Once the children are safely ensconced, her face hardens once more and she swings back into the saddle, giving her mount a friendly pat and taking up her lance.

14. - Top - End - #104

Cyrick quickly moves the shoulder the weight of the father, easily lifting the man and having little trouble carrying him. He remains silent and grim-faced during the side trip, and once the family is safely in the care of the others, he follows nods to Helionaluxis and continues towards the informant with the rest of the group.

15. - Top - End - #105

Lyanne walks in silence for a time after seeing the family to shelter, looking around warily at the chaos of evacuation and conflict. When it looks like no bombs are likely to drop on their heads she speaks up.

"I had hoped we could get as far as making camp before we would need to think about battle," she said, "but now...

"We may find ourselves fighting again before we leave the city, even before we reach our meeting if we're unlucky. If that's the case, if we're going to be relying on one another in combat, it's best that we have some idea of what we're all capable of. I know I had a few surprises back in the inn, and I don't like surprises in a fight.

"So I'll start. I'm a swordswoman, obviously enough; from Dassen, where we're headed, but north, not south. You've seen what I do in a fight, more or less. I'd like to think I do it well, but don't look to me for any flashy magic, or to sneak around unseen. I know a bit about the lands and people between us and our destination, though, and how to deal with them without a weapon when possible.

"So that's me."
    She smiles slightly. "Or at least what's relevant. What about the rest of you?"

16. - Top - End - #106

Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis pauses a moment, then looks at Lyanne.

"Since we last met, Lyanne, I've devoted my life to Bahamut. I serve his followers, and they train me in return. Their power doesn't just affect me, but everyone around me. You've already seen everything I can currently do with it; I'm afraid my training isn't complete yet.

"As I learn from them, I adopt more of their traits. That was the first time I breathed fire in combat. If I were more experienced, I could breathe underwater, fly through the air, or walk through the hottest flames unfazed as well.

"But the power of the Dragon is potent even in inexperienced hands. As long as I stand with you, the Dragon will watch over us."

She turns to Sovorian, as if expecting him to speak next.

17. - Top - End - #107

Varcolac

Varcolac waits for Sovorian to finish speaking- only polite, after all- then begins, her voice unexpectedly quiet and reserved.

"I just sneak, for the most part; I don't know anyone who can hide as well as me...I can even bend shadows and do it when I've got eyes on me. I'm alright with the lance, though not as good as...well, I could be better."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Default Sovorian

Sovorian nods, humbly, before beginning. "I am, foremost, a warrior, of some talent. As you have already seen, I am gifted with a blade of thought, which I can draw whenever I have need of it. In addition, I am of the Illumian people, the wordfolk - though I find it convenient to hide this." he says, dousing the luminous sigils that orbit his head. "And now," he says, gesturing to the hound now dogging his footsteps, "It would seem I have a companion."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

19. - Top - End - #109

Cyrick nods. "As one would guess from my garb, I am a fighter for Heironeious and member of the Aquiline Cross. I fight with the Arch-Paladin as my guide, as he guides me in all things. With his aid, I am able to smite my foes and inspire my allies."

20. - Top - End - #110

Helionaluxis

To Sovorian: "An Illumian. My mentor told me of your kind. I am unfamiliar with the thoughtblade style, though. Is that an inherent ability of your kind?"

*looks at the dog* "Perhaps it likes your scent."

To Cyrick: *nods in understanding* "Our paths are similar, then, although my mentor is more... talkative. I will have to commune with her when we can rest; she will want to know what has happened so she can respond properly."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

A cluster of four-story buildings have caught fire from the bombing, and a crowd is watching in dismay when horror strikes—a woman smashes out a window on the fourth floor and cries for help, screaming that she's trapped.

22. - Top - End - #112

Cyrick shakes his head and begins moving towards the burning building. "I cannot leave someone in need like this... I'm going to go and help the people of the city where I can; I'll meet you at the gates. Please continue on to the informant, and if I don't return, don't wait for me." With that, he runs towards the burning building, raising his shield over his head to protect it from falling debris.

23. - Top - End - #113

Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis's hand lashes out and grabs ahold of Cyrick's arm before he can move.

"Stay here. I'm more suited for this, and we shouldn't all risk ourselves.

"Varcolac, you're the nimble one. I may need your help in there."

With that, Helionaluxis switches to the Aura of Inner Fire (Fire Resistance 10) and runs into the burning building.

24. - Top - End - #114

Cyrick quickly shrugs Helionaluxis's grasp away and ignores her order, silently charging into the building heedless of the flames.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-10-16 at 06:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis sighs as she rushes into the building alongside Cyrick.

"Stick close so I can protect you from the flames, and let's be careful on the stairs."

26. - Top - End - #116

Lyanne curses as Cyrick charges into the building.

"Half the city's aflame. We can't help everyone. It may be best to leave him as he says, if Helionaluxis can shield him..."

She looks over to Torrent. "How much further is this place?"

27. - Top - End - #117

After a beat's hesitation Lyanne follows the others into the building.

"Might as well get this sorted out as quickly as possible, if he's determined to intervene."

She hurries to catch up to Helionaluxis and her protective aura.

28. - Top - End - #118

Varcolac

The Lancer shakes off Hel's arm and moves into a ready crouch, apparently poised to guard the door- or to be proceed toward the target, if they take too long. Her Armadon also moves into a protective configuration, and she shakes her head.

"You're nimble enough. If you run into anything in there you can't handle yourself, leave it. We can't take too long at this."

She bites her lip and hefts her sword once again, and jerks her head to indicate the hard-bitten female should head in without her.

29. - Top - End - #119

Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis frowns at Varcolac and sighs before heading into the burning building.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

The building is burning merrily--or rather, it would be merrily if it weren't in the process of destroying hundreds of gold worth of property and exacting such a fee directly from the lives of those who lived in this building.

You make your way into the building easily enough, but the problem is going to be getting upstairs. The building, unfortunately, is made largely of wood but for the stone outer walls, and this includes the spiral staircase that leads from the bottom floor all the way up to the fourth. The fire, since it started at the bottom of the building where the bomb exploded, has proceeded to work its way upstairs, using the staircase for vertical mobility just like anyone else. The end result, however, is that the next floor is a full fifteen feet above you, and there's no stairway to use to get there by now.

You can hear the woman outside screaming off her balcony. Something about the fire at her door. It's hard to make out against the roar of the flames.