Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 181 to 208 of 208
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Cyrick nods at the new arrival. "I am Cyrick, servant of the arch-paladin Heironeous." As he speaks, he moves to get a better view of the dispersing mob, looking down on the crowd worriedly.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Torrent okays Jenair's joining us, and that we can therefore speak freely around her.


    Lyanne looks out at the crowd. "With all this movement and chaos, it shouldn't be any trouble to reach the rendezvous unnoticed. Bringing our "package" along might be a different story, though. Perhaps it would be best to unload Lacrolus before we quite reach our destination and share his burden between us for the last short distance. In any case, we should move before this surge of people quite dries up."

    She looks back at Jenair. "Chances are good we'll find ourselves having to react quickly again more than once before getting out of the city. Is there anything we need to know about you for such situations? Are you any sort of mage or mentalist, have you particular needs or a niche in a fight or out of one?"

    She gestures towards the others. "We're all swords for the most part. Varcolac there has her lance if she's mounted. Helionaluxis can provide magical aid of various sorts if you stay close to her. Our employer," she indicates Torrent, "has a spell or two up her sleeve too. Life stories can wait until we have a campfire to trade them around, but if you've anything relevant of that sort now's the time to share it."

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Jenair

    Jenair shrugs at the question, occasionally eyeing Helionaluxis as if not sure what to make of her comment. "I know a bit of magic, I suppose. Not much." She sounds as if the subject doesn't really interest her, leaning on her spear and watching out the window.

    After a moment, she asks a question, still looking out at the crowd as it begins to thin. "Who are you meeting with?"
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    On Jenair's second eyeing of her, Helionaluxis snorts a gout of flame. It blasts across Jenair's outfit. Instead of leaving burns in its wake, it just feels like hot air. She grins slightly.

    "It feels less pleasant for enemies. So, you know some magic? Hm."

    Helionaluxis eyes Jenair's equipment again, looking for clues about her path to power. When Jenair asks who they're meeting with, she pauses for a moment.

    "Someone who can't leave the city himself, but needs something taken out."
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    High Cromlech
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Varcolac

    Varcolac is already complying with the request to unload Lacrolus pre-emptively, though she honestly looks rather put out at having to leave behind that much explosive.

    She nods to the newcomer, slowly, but doesn't extend her hand or offer any flowery speeches.

    "Varcolac. If you'd like to know more I suggest we focus on running, and not dying."


  6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "Hoy, no need for that yet," Lyanne says when she sees Varcolac unloading. "We just need to unload what we want to bring to the rendezvous, and that only when we're close. No need to leave this other stuff behind or carry it ourselves. And I agree, now's the time to move."

    She addresses Jenair as they move out, trying to keep with the last remnants of the crowd. "We have something to collect to take out of the city, and something of a little use to trade for it. Discretion is worth more than valor at the moment, so I'll leave it at that until we have something like privacy. That may be available at our destination."

    She turns to Torrent. "Varcolac could accompany you while we wait with the mount, if you want to keep our profile low. Given the chaos I don't think it'll matter much if we all join you, though I'd still leave the bug a street or two away."

    "Would any of the magic you know extend to concealing movement?" she returns to Jenair.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Jenair

    She nods at the desire for secrecy. And I rather doubt it will mean anything to me, in any case. The burst of flame is a bit startling, but after a moment of consideration, she decides it makes as much sense as any magic would.

    "No. I only know a few tricks. Useful, but not for that." She glances at the insectoid mount. "Can't use a horse instead? That thing doesn't look very good if you want to avoid attracting notice."
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis warily eyes the untripped bomb Varcolac is unloading. "I think we can leave that behind."

    (OOC: Got some details about it from Fax. It contains multiple alchemist's fires, is more suited for burning things than demolition, and is triggered by a hard impact. It also weighs 20 lbs, so throwing it really isn't an option.

    He also mentioned we could probably break it open and grab the intact alchemist's fires for our own use...)
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis warily eyes the untripped bomb Varcolac is unloading. "I think we can leave that behind."

    (OOC: Got some details about it from Fax. It contains multiple alchemist's fires, is more suited for burning things than demolition, and is triggered by a hard impact. It also weighs 20 lbs, so throwing it really isn't an option.

    He also mentioned we could probably break it open and grab the intact alchemist's fires for our own use...)

    Helionaluxis glances at the bug. "I think Varcolac's attached to it."
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "In general I find when someone has found reason to do something as uncommon as riding into battle on a giant telepathic insect, you don't want them to rush the explanation. It tends to be worth savouring."

    Lyanne is casting a critical eye at the explosive as she speaks, trying to work out if they can make it safer or less cumbersome to carry.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Some rolls to see if I can figure out what Mike mentions... I have no idea what skill would be appropriate here so I'll just roll all the ones I'm not forbidden to that might work. Knowledge is in case the details of Ragesian bomb construction are a matter of local or historical knowledge... *shiftyeyes*

    Appraise, Craft, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local) (1d20+3=16, 1d20+3=21, 1d20+6=22, 1d20+5=15)

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Torrent nods. "I don't see an issue with allowing this one to tag along. In this chaos, I don't believe it matters any more if we're secret about our efforts or not.

    "If we can take the bomb apart, the interior may be useful to us...but the issue would be taking it apart without blowing it up."

    She shakes her head. "In any case. We're headed there:" she says, pointing to a tower a few blocks away. "Hopefully our contact is still alive."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Leanne: you think you can take it apart, if you're careful.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Lyanne bites her lip. "I've no training with explosives or the like. I can lend a hand if anyone else thinks they've got a better shot at it, though. It'd be good to have it in a more portable form, but it's not worth risking our safety on my guesswork."

    She looks at Helionaluxis. "If someone does want to try it, you'd better stay close and keep some of that flame-retardant magic on hand."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, Lyanne ain't got no ranks in anything possibly useful. If someone does want to take a stab at it, here's a raw d20 roll for an Aid Another check. If it's Craft or Disable Device, that's a +3. AidAnother - (1d20)[20]

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Cyrick looks to Torrent and nods before looking to those assembled around the bomb. "Let us be off then. I think it best if we tinker with the bomb later, where an explosion wouldn't endanger so many bystanders."

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis nods towards Lyanne.

    "Why carry the bomb, or its contents, in the first place? It will be more trouble than discarding it."
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "It's always good to have more tactical options available, and dismantled the parts of the bomb would be much safer to transport. But you're right that it's a risk and an effort we needn't take unless we have a specific purpose for them."

    Lyanne looks to Varcolac. "Did you have something in mind when you took it, or was it just preferable to leaving it behind? If the latter we may as well leave it. If the former perhaps you can work on dismantling it once we reach the rendezvous."

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis heads for the tower Torrent pointed to once they decide what to do with the bomb.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Jenair

    Jenair looks at the bomb, nonplussed, but she doesn't waste time by asking where they got it. "Careful how you carry that. I wouldn't want that thing to be on my saddlebags when it shattered, dismantled or no, and alchemist's fire is touchy stuff."

    She glances at the tower that the woman apparently in charge had indicated, then at Torrent herself. Odd. They behave like some sort of knights, and work like a mercenary company. If that's what they are, she's the employer for sure. She looks back to the others. "And truth to tell, if you're meeting someone there, I wouldn't bother."
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    High Cromlech
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Varcolac

    "I was planning to use it to make a new gate if the pre-existing one was inconvenient. But I suppose that's not as viable a tactic now. I say we leave it."

    She spurs her mount slightly and motions to the rest to follow Torrent and Hel.


  19. - Top - End - #199
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "We'll leave it then. The city doesn't need any more trouble with its defenses," Lyanne concurs, joining Helionaluxis in continuing towards the tower.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Jenair

    "Old gate looks fine to me," Jenair comments before following, using her spear point-up as a sort of walking-pole.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Cyrick follows wordlessly, throwing occasional worried glances to the people below.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    After a short time Lyanne drops back to Cyrick, trying to avoid drawing attention from the others as she does so, and pitching her voice to be heard only by him.

    "You want to help these people," she says; her tone manages to make it a question while clearly implying she feels she knows the answer.

    "This is how you can help them, by helping us, helping Torrent. One man won't put out these fires or drive off that army, but getting her to safety might. Do what you can do best and don't beat yourself up that you can't do everything."

    If it seems like the gesture will help reinforce her words, she lightly squeezes his shoulder, a move not of comfort but of solidarity.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls, if necessary, to see how she can read him / get through to him.

    Sense Motive - (1d20+1)[18]
    Diplomacy - (1d20+5)[16]

    Whether she does/doesn't go for the Comforting Pat depends on whether it'd be the right or wrong move in Paradox's opinion and whether she can tell that based on the above.

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    "I have no intention of abandoning Torrent. I know helping her will help these people." Cyrick glares straight ahead, steadfastly refusing to meet Lyanne's eyes. His tone is dark and hints at a contained anger, and he makes no attempt at keeping his tone low enough for only Lyanne to hear. "That does not change the fact that I'm not strong enough to help these people here and now. There is no excuse for that."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm mostly disregarding the diplomacy roll; Fax, if you'd like me to approach that differently let me know. As for the shoulder touch--yeah, Lyanne'd probably get the impression that the gesture wouldn't go over well. It wouldn't be hard to tell. (Cyrick = [/wrist])
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-12-23 at 11:48 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis grips Cyrick's other shoulder; it feels like she's ready to crush it with her bare hand. If he looks her in the eye, her pupils seem to smolder.

    "There's no excuse for moping about it, either. Do what you can, don't lament what you can't. Anything else would not be worthy of the Arch-Paladin. Stand tall and hide the weakness, Cyrick. People are looking up to you."
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Proven_Paradox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Cyrick stops walking and violently slaps Helionaluxis's hand away. He meets her gaze with eyes just as fiery as hers (though perhaps in a less literal sense). "How dare you speak to me of what my lord finds worthy!?" he yells, any attempts at containing his rage completely failing as he glares at the woman. "Moping!? Hiding my weakness!? I would never be able to face my lord if that were all I did! I will not hide my weakness! I will burn it away with my Lord's righteous fury!" Cyrick brushes past Helio and resumes his march towards their destination, saying as he goes, with a controlled but dire tone, "Now, if you're quite done worrying about my state of mind, we've a mission to complete and a war to end!"

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Jenair

    Jenair spares the argument a glance, halting momentarily and unwillingly as the participants do and leaning on her spear to watch both the participants and the city around them. "Or at least be quieter about it," she adds in a low mutter as Cyrick finishes and storms ahead, making a note to ask why he referred to ending the war later. It's not entirely clear whether she was speaking to herself or not.

    She follows, glad to be on their way again even if it does mean a zealot's company.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2007-12-26 at 03:27 AM.
    Avatar by Ifni. Thanks!

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mike_Lemmer's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Helionaluxis

    Helionaluxis stands her ground against Cyrick's rage, saying nothing, showing nothing. Only when he brushes past her does she allow herself a smirk.

    That's more like it. I didn't expect him to blow up like that, though. I'll have to apologize once this is over if he's still sore about it. I wonder why he reacted so badly...

    "You're right. Let's go, Cyrick."


    Helionaluxis walks on next to Lyanne & Cyrick.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

    Avatar by Ceika

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    kamikasei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

    Lyanne walks on beside the others, keeping her mouth shut. It's always the quiet ones. At least, the quiet ones wound tighter than a castrato's string accompaniment around their notions of duty. Making sure not to say anything else to set of the Heironean, she keeps an eye out as they continue on to their destination to see if their exchange has drawn any possibly unwelcome attention.

    Spot - (1d20+1)[18]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •