New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default What would a town of Variant Humans with Magic Initiate look like?

So a town of VH humans exists where all kids are taught a bit of magic. This is represented through them all having Magic Initiate. What combos would be the most common and helpful for townsfolk? Would such a town thrive in a DnD setting?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: What would a town of Variant Humans with Magic Initiate look like?

Mold Earth and Druidcraft would be huge for farmers, so agriculture could be a strong presence.

Streets would be immaculate thanks to Prestidigitation.

Windows kept tightly shut or otherwise secured due to teenagers with Thaumaturgy.

Or for a darker town, everybody could be completely paranoid due to the prevalence of Friends and/or Minor Illusion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

The entire town chooses Druid and takes Goodberry as the once per day level 1 spell and Mending as one of the Cantrips; nobody in the town ever has to work ever again, and everyone lives happily ever after, the end.

4. - Top - End - #4

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zetakya View Post
    The entire town chooses Druid and takes Goodberry as the once per day level 1 spell and Mending as one of the Cantrips; nobody in the town ever has to work ever again, and everyone lives happily ever after, the end.
    Sure, but only one person in ten needs goodberry (one if 5 if we're being safe). People might get tired of eating berries. In such a case Prestidigitation would help out, as it can change the flavor of goodberries. Also neither of those spells cleans things so work still needs to be done.

The more I think about it, the more interesting such an economy would be for a town.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So essentially a town full of untapped Sorcerers? Could be cool. Depends on the role they fill in their society. As was previously stated, Goodberry and Mending would be a great combo, as would Prestidigitation and Unseen Servant. For town guards or hunters, Hex and Eldritch Blast could be a good combo.
    Last edited by Nagog; 2019-07-20 at 04:53 PM.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Smoking ruin, propably, after some envious jerk, anti-magic zealot or simply random evil anus with an army comes along to stop the utopia and give the PCs some tragic backstory and a reason to go after the BBEG. This is D&D we're talking about, after all.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2019-07-20 at 04:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Smoking ruin, propably, after some envious jerk, anti-magic zealot or simply random evil anus with an army comes along to stop the utopia and give the PCs some tragic backstory and a reason to go after the BBEG. This is D&D we're talking about, after all.
    Well if everybody in town has some magic, something makes me think these villagers will be a bit more difficult to steamroll than the typical village.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nagog View Post
    Well if everybody in town has some magic, something makes me think these villagers will be a bit more difficult to steamroll than the typical village.
    A bit, but not by much. A commoner with Firebolt will still die if anything sneezes in their general direction.

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

Probably should have someone around with guidance and... I donno. what would be good cleric spells?

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Just as a reality check or sorts... you do know that NPCs generally don't follow the PC creation rules? And that they don't get feats?

Ok, that said, what do you want it to look like? It would be well lit, clean, prosperous, healthy. Assuming that they people are good people. If it were evil (or selfish) then if would be dark, dangerous, and ruled by various gangs or organized crime syndicates.

Magic, imo, is not good or bad, it's just something that gives do things differently.

11. - Top - End - #11

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Just as a reality check or sorts... you do know that NPCs generally don't follow the PC creation rules? And that they don't get feats?

Ok, that said, what do you want it to look like? It would be well lit, clean, prosperous, healthy. Assuming that they people are good people. If it were evil (or selfish) then if would be dark, dangerous, and ruled by various gangs or organized crime syndicates.

Magic, imo, is not good or bad, it's just something that gives do things differently.
    I am aware. I just can't help but keep thinking about it, because it seems like such a neat setting.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

From a gamist perspective, a town full of Magic Initiate Vhumans would have to thrive on 'tricks' to survive because they won't have a bonus to any of their casting stats.

Firebolt won't be terribly accurate, but it will hit hard from a long range. Further, the 'Vhillage' could probably prepare fire traps to stop invaders, as creating a fire is a special trait of firebolt.

Entangle may synergize with Firebolt in some places. Having dried hay wrap around a mass of invaders and then catch fire would be effective and tell others to back off.

Sleep is going to be a great choice for a defense spell. No bonus stats needed to incapacitate a bunch of goblins.

Sacred Flame may see a lot of use as a cantrip. While the save won't be hard to beat, its ability to ignore cover entirely means it could be cast through any hole in a wall or through windows that give technical total cover.

The town may be economically disadvantaged because none of the humans would have tool proficiency. They may have wealth generating skills, but I don't think that can be swapped for tool proficiency. The upside of this is that after one failed defense, raiders may not find a lot of loot and deem the town more trouble than its worth on a second go.

Because of the potential to be deadly, spooky, and poor, the town may be regarded as 'haunted' or 'tainted'. Even if the people in the town can live fruitfully, the rest of the world might not see the benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Create Bonfire would be another good choice (or Produce Flame, if we're sticking to the PHB). Historically, a large fraction of human labor has been spent on gathering fuel for fires. But the Vhillage can heat their homes and cook their non-berry food without need of fuel.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Create Bonfire would be another good choice (or Produce Flame, if we're sticking to the PHB). Historically, a large fraction of human labor has been spent on gathering fuel for fires. But the Vhillage can heat their homes and cook their non-berry food without need of fuel.
    Might be okay for cooking, but one minute increments for heating make it less useful for that. Control flames might be good for that because it can shape fire for an hour at a time, which presumably would allow a fire to keep going even if its fuel burnt out. Also would be good for fighting fires as it can put them out as well.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jakinbandw View Post
    Might be okay for cooking, but one minute increments for heating make it less useful for that. Control flames might be good for that because it can shape fire for an hour at a time, which presumably would allow a fire to keep going even if its fuel burnt out. Also would be good for fighting fires as it can put them out as well.
    It's hard to convert d6s of damage into calories, but a d6 of fire damage is hot enough to severely damage people and objects. Then again, the DMG recommends 1d10 for falling on a bed of hot coals. It's a question of how much heat can Bonfire impart to food over how much time.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

1 minute fires = the town gets really good at stir-fry cuisine

17. - Top - End - #17

DruidGuy

Animal Friendship and Speak With Animals would be good for all sorts of husbandry/farming/hunting purposes. Snare would be highly effective as well, so people wouldn't have to be eating Goodberries all the time.

There would likely be an organized and effective militia/city guard and other civic organizations, i.e. trade guilds, judicial system, etc.

As others have mentioned, access to magic would free up time otherwise spent on mundane survival tasks for these townsfolk to pursue other activities such as art or education. I could see a town with a world-class library, theater, and museum, remarkable because of the size of the town relative to the quality of the art.

Maybe the ability is connected to the town somehow... you have to be born there to receive the feat, and if you're away for more than a couple of days, the ability fades (1 day out you lose the spell, 2 days a cantrip, 3 days the other cantrip). This would prevent the town from aggressively expanding its sphere of influence and also reduce the tendency for people to move there, as there would be an obvious divide between townies and outsiders.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

So I think it would depend on how the feat is "earned". Is it a natural gift or just a higher capacity for learning these magical secrets that is trained into the population as they come of age.

Personally I find the latter more interesting. So I'll go with that one.

A lot of this is going to depend on what they are being prepared to do.

If you have a swampy area this group could create a Tenochtitlan style city very quickly and have it be very effective.

The farmers would have Mold Earth, Druidcraft, shapewater, mending, Prestidigitation, speak with animals, goodberry and probably a decent chunk would end up with magic missile for defending the town.
    Blacksmiths would end up with mending, Prestidigitation, mage hand, control flames, things like that.
    There would probably be a Library/Temple with priests/librarians who specialize in translating and preserving knowledge.

Druidcraft: the ability to speed up the germination of seeds can take a decent chunk of time off the beginning of each growing season.
    Mold earth: You can change the area a lot, rerouting rivers, creating dams tilling fields, all very quickly and without animal power.
    Shape water: Creating 250 cubic feet of ice at any time is very good for keeping meat and things like that fresh.
    Mending: all those minor things that break and degrade over time, no issue now.
    Minor Illusion: For any kind of performer or shop keep this can be great, for an entertainer you can make yourself a band but just you.
    Prestidigitation: other people have touched on but Cleanliness is one of the biggest reasons that we don't have anywhere near as much disease now compared to medieval times. You can have a custom lock that the only time the key exists is when you created with prestidigitation.
    Control Flames: Controlled burns, Stopping fires, Well lit taverns, Again entertainers.
    Mage Hand: A third hand? always useful for a huge amount of professions.

Firebolt, Chill touch, Eldritch Blast: 120' range and they do decent damage.
    Acid Splash: If you had a bunch of goblins attacking and 10 defenders threw 10 acid splashes they would probably die or break and run.

Comprehend languages: Oh hey you need to have a town that does something, what about translating tomes?
    Detect Poison and Disease: 1 Person in the market can make sure that the entire town stays clean and disease free.
    Find Familiar: The Guards with this or a shopkeeper who is keeping their stuff safe?
    Goodberry: In times of famine keep the town alive? Or just make the town's food supplies go way further.
    Speak With Animals: Keep your animals happy, feed them their favorite foods, make sure that all of their needs are met.
    Magic Missile: Imagine if 1 in 10 people had this spell, in a small town (1000 people) that means that they can do 350 guaranteed damage to a target. Adult dragon who?
    Tenser's Floating Disk: Do you need to unload a huge amount or transport a bunch of stuff from a cart to a boat, or vice versa. All places where goods are moved would probably be a standardized 3' high

(sorry for the lack of organization)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

A few things that popped in my head.

Lots of people with minor illusion pulling a Three Amigos.

Sports would be very interesting between things like catapult, thorn whip, expeditious retreat and such.

Hunting for food if you wanted it would be pretty easy with magic missile.

Parents would be much happier thanks to the sleep spell. Oh what I would do if I could cast sleep once a day...

No rats or vermin anywhere between familiars, cantrips, and other spells.

Alarm spells make crime a very bad idea.

The richest person in town is the person crafting magic foci.

Just imagine what a lot of lonely people with familiars they can share senses with and casting minor illusion could figure out to do.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No limit on food and has unnatural cleanliness? Large. The town would be large. The death rate would be so low compared to their neighbors they could potentially just out-breed everyone around them.

Actually that would be a pretty cool premise; the magic bloodlined humans want to find a safe place from rampaging enemies where they can live in peace and grow to an enormous population.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So a town of VH humans exists where all kids are taught a bit of magic. This is represented through them all having Magic Initiate. What combos would be the most common and helpful for townsfolk? Would such a town thrive in a DnD setting?
    Mini-Tippyverse

A lot of people would have taken Druid as that gives you goodberry. Then you're looking at things like cure wounds for some and create/destroy water for others.

I think the town would stay smallish, not because they wouldn't have the resources, but because they would need to keep it a secret.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    No limit on food and has unnatural cleanliness? Large. The town would be large. The death rate would be so low compared to their neighbors they could potentially just out-breed everyone around them.

Actually that would be a pretty cool premise; the magic bloodlined humans want to find a safe place from rampaging enemies where they can live in peace and grow to an enormous population.
    Sounds like Eberron to me. Maybe we just stumbled onto Keith Baker's thought process.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

Ebberon.

Also yes.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Since they are NPCs, you don't have to follow the feat exactly. It would be cool to try to make a village using random cantrips and spells. You could give everyone a random cantrip and 1st level spell and then have that tie into their profession. So not much different than a normal village, just a little more magical flavor. The cobbler could have the mending cantrip.

Since it's random, you wouldn't have to worry about everyone taking Goodberry and ruining the farming economy. One or two people would have it and would sell them for healing and workday food, but most people wouldn't eat them daily.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think you would have a good solid spread between a few groups but mostly centered around making their jobs easier.

Hunters and city defenders would probably take magic missile because why would you want a spell that can miss? Back it up with fire bolt/green flame blade probably and prestidigitation because who doesn't want to make their food taste good, light a campfire, make little images when telling stories,

Farmers and the like I would presume goodberry, mold earth and mending. Preparing fields would be a snap, you could fix your own tools without having to waste time and money going in town, and you never have to worry about your family going hungry in bad grow seasons.

Artisans/tradespeople I'm leaning towards cleric with Guidance, mending, and either healing word or bless depending on trade and general clumsiness.

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nhorianscum View Post
    Ebberon.

Also yes.
    Or just Halruaa, if it's less magitech.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    But that's boring, encounters are far more interesting when players and NPCs get full on feats. It makes the Rogue have to worry about things like Alert or Sentinel, that Champion with the Spear might have PAM, and that Great Sword user? Better be careful cause he could have GWM
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh, I like this idea. There is precedent for it in other fiction. Thamasa in Final Fantasy 6 keeps its secrets, mostly by being on an island and making outsiders unwelcome. The first few Xanth books have villagers use their minor talents all together, although the later books become nonsensical puns, extended family trees, belief magic, and liberating the demihumans. Blue Rose has like 5% of the population is minorly psychic and that's okay - reading surface emotions is just as polite as reading faces.
    yo

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Are we assuming that the Magic Adept feat is the ONLY magic that this town has access to? Or will there, potentially, be other NPCs with more advanced stat blocks? People might be less inclined to take, say, Detect Magic as their only 1st level spell if there is an NPC wizard in the town who can just cast the spell. There are some really great spells that are less great if you can only cast them once a day, and then they're done; Magic Missile is one of them, I think. You have a blast that can't miss (great!) But once you've cast your 1D4+1 darts once, that's it. 3d4+3 is going to average like 10 HP of damage, which means a hunter would be guaranteed to one-shot a deer, but not an elk. A butcher could use it to one-shot a goat, but not a full-grown pig (using the Boar as an example). So, even if it can't miss, it might not finish the job and you'll have to have another way to deal with it anyway.

I think a minimally proficient town guard firing off an unlimited number of fire bolts does more to add to the town defense than one firing off one magic missile, even if half of the fire bolts miss. I guess it's not mutually exclusive; your guard could have both Magic Missile AND fire bolt, and switch to the less-reliable one after they've used up the one cast. But they might be better off with something like Hex or Mage Armor that will last a while.

One unintended side-effect of this is that, unlike most other spells, cantrips are permanent once chosen. This means that the town would be starkly divided into castes, based on your magical aptitude. The guy who took Hex, Eldritch Blast, and Blade Ward as his spells? Congratulations, you're a guard/soldier now, even if you decide later on that you're really into pottery. It wouldn't have to be some kind of totalitarian distopia, especially if people are able to choose for themselves how to allocate the spells they get from their Magical Aptitude. But you'd be very much set into what you can do once that choice is made, and the culture of the town would reflect that.

The suggestion from earlier that the spells you have would maybe be influenced by the background you take is a good one, but it may be the other way around...the background you have is determined by the spells you can cast.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nhorianscum View Post
    Ebberon.

Also yes.
    Yup. This is pretty much what I thought.

The town would be prosperous, having a lot of things that would normally take hard labor now being automated through use of every day low level magic.

Essentially it would look more technologically advanced that your typical pseudo medieval D&D town, just with magic replacing industry in task automation.