The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Results 931 to 960 of 1024
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    It's good to be the King...
    Indeed it is. By his touch he can even cure baldness or at least dandruff and some sort of throat disease. Not that great of a power but still better then the common folk.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    No... just that it's a bad idea while you aren't at minimum safe distance.
    Minimum safe distance from a Spark is over the horizon...preferably on a different planet than they're on, but that's a bit harder to achieve.

  3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Minimum safe distance from a Spark is over the horizon...preferably on a different planet than they're on, but that's a bit harder to achieve.
    Considering the strongest Sparks can alter the very fabric of reality, I would hazard to say anywhere in the local Reality wouldn't be safe.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

  4. - Top - End - #934
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Well, with the rapid (and unintended) shrinkage, wouldn't she be sizzling hot, like Her Royal Gardener(gardeneuse?) was at the garden? Maybe that'll be the fakeout, and everyone's too hopped up on adrenaline to notice.

  5. - Top - End - #935
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Earth and/or not-Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Well, with the rapid (and unintended) shrinkage, wouldn't she be sizzling hot, like Her Royal Gardener(gardeneuse?) was at the garden? Maybe that'll be the fakeout, and everyone's too hopped up on adrenaline to notice.
    Maybe that flash of energy behind her as she shrank was the heat being discharged somehow.

  6. - Top - End - #936
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    I bet the Foglios just forgot that the heat thing happened with with Albia.

  7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Maybe Martellus absorbed the heat through his hand, and will later shoot it out through his eyes, like a toad!

    (find the quote )
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  8. - Top - End - #938
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Maybe Martellus absorbed the heat through his hand, and will later shoot it out through his eyes, like a toad!

    (find the quote )
    That only works with poisoned beetroot.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  9. - Top - End - #939
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gez's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Maybe Martellus absorbed the heat through his hand, and will later shoot it out through his eyes, like a toad!

    (find the quote )
    http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/9p30/

    Dan McNinja is a role model for us all.

    (For new readers: he's not joking in that scene.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

  10. - Top - End - #940
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I bet the Foglios just forgot that the heat thing happened with with Albia.
    She only expanded a minute a go. It's possible she hasn't absorbed much heat from the room, and was instead quite cold *while* she was expanded.

  11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    That's not how it works. Compression increases the temperature because the heat is contained in a smaller volume. Conversely, dispersal cools because the heat is spread over a larger area (which is why a can of spray paint gets colder as you use it).

    I'm surprised I remember that from HS physics. It was a long time ago.

  12. - Top - End - #942
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's not how it works. Compression increases the temperature because the heat is contained in a smaller volume. Conversely, dispersal cools because the heat is spread over a larger area (which is why a can of spray paint gets colder as you use it).

    I'm surprised I remember that from HS physics. It was a long time ago.
    So if you quickly expand, then contract, you'll be back close to where you started temperature-wise, no?

  13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    In our world? Probably. In a world where murderous Spark Queen wannabes are blasting off energy bolts? No clue.

  14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by gbs5009 View Post
    So if you quickly expand, then contract, you'll be back close to where you started temperature-wise, no?
    Well that depends where the energy you use to do that comes from. If its your own body's, then you'll be very cold and very dead. But of course, changing size like that should kill you anyway.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I bet the Foglios just forgot that the heat thing happened with with Albia.
    Don't think they did. Notice the discharge of (electrical?) energy around her as she shrinks?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  16. - Top - End - #946
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    You know, I‘m impressed by how Martellus is written. Even when he‘s genuinely helpful, It comes from the disgusting, creepy things he did.

    I just hope Agatha doesn‘t go from „possessed by mom“ to „bio-chemically controlled by Martellus.“

  17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalcara View Post
    You know, I‘m impressed by how Martellus is written. Even when he‘s genuinely helpful, It comes from the disgusting, creepy things he did.
    It's possibly the first time Lucrezia and Agatha have shared an opinion.

    EDIT: That's odd - those lips at the bottom of the page look more like Madame Von Pin...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2019-11-09 at 10:41 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  18. - Top - End - #948
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    It's possibly the first time Lucrezia and Agatha have shared an opinion.
    I'm pretty sure they have about the same opinion of most other Sparks. Also, cake!

  19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/9p30/

    Dan McNinja is a role model for us all.

    (For new readers: he's not joking in that scene.)
    And just to be clear: he did shoot this dose of poison out of his eyes later in a fight with ghost wizard. It all makes perfect sense by the way.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scarlet Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalcara View Post
    You know, I‘m impressed by how Martellus is written. Even when he‘s genuinely helpful, It comes from the disgusting, creepy things he did.

    I just hope Agatha doesn‘t go from „possessed by mom“ to „bio-chemically controlled by Martellus.“
    Dark Phoenix meets Poison Ivy?
    “A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade.” - Chaucer

  21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Could he do that to Albia?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Could he do that to Albia?
    Yes. Once.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  23. - Top - End - #953
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    diremage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Chalcara View Post
    You know, I‘m impressed by how Martellus is written. Even when he‘s genuinely helpful, It comes from the disgusting, creepy things he did.

    I just hope Agatha doesn‘t go from „possessed by mom“ to „bio-chemically controlled by Martellus.“
    She's been bio-chemically controlled by Martellus since the time skip, he just hasn't been around to use it. And recently, when he has been around, he's been surrounded by her allies who are looking for a reason to punch him in the snout.

    I mean, "turns off super-saiyan mode" is a -lot- more bio-control for his "Touch of the King" than just "Prevents Agatha from turning into a purple corpse," for one thing.

    Just noticed the color of Agatha's super-saiyan sparkles match my avatar's. Maybe a little more green, but that's probably just the yellow hair behind them. Still, score!
    Last edited by diremage; 2019-11-10 at 07:13 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #954
    Orc in the Playground
     
    wingnutx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy freaking cow. It's on.

  25. - Top - End - #955
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator
     
    Douglas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy freaking cow. It's on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This looks like the kind of climactic scene that cues the actual end and resolution of a major plot line. There have been setbacks and obstacles in plenty, things got extremely bad with the ascension of Queen Lucrezia, a final burst of coordinated heroics got the extraction device actually on her head and activated, and now Agatha got to add the finishing touch to seal the deal in a full page splash panel that goes far beyond various characters stating that she's (invisibly, inside her head) fighting back. I think it really is over this time.

    There may still be other things to deal with, such as the intruders who think blowing up the dome would neatly solve a ton of problems at once, but Lucrezia is finally no longer in Agatha's head.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

    Avatar by Ceika.

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  26. - Top - End - #956
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This looks like the kind of climactic scene that cues the actual end and resolution of a major plot line. There have been setbacks and obstacles in plenty, things got extremely bad with the ascension of Queen Lucrezia, a final burst of coordinated heroics got the extraction device actually on her head and activated, and now Agatha got to add the finishing touch to seal the deal in a full page splash panel that goes far beyond various characters stating that she's (invisibly, inside her head) fighting back. I think it really is over this time.

    There may still be other things to deal with, such as the intruders who think blowing up the dome would neatly solve a ton of problems at once, but Lucrezia is finally no longer in Agatha's head.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or Lucrezia will continue somehow to run amok as an electric ghost. I'll take it. This part of the story is finally done.

  27. - Top - End - #957
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator
     
    Douglas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or Lucrezia will continue somehow to run amok as an electric ghost. I'll take it. This part of the story is finally done.
    Technically, that would still fit what I stated.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

    Avatar by Ceika.

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  28. - Top - End - #958
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Will Agatha keep the gloves?

  29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    OK, I think we can officially say that if the Foglios pull a bait and switch at *this* point, they've utterly lost their minds. Finally, after Lord knows how many years, it looks like Lucy-in-Agatha is going to be gone.

  30. - Top - End - #960
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2015

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Finally, after Lord knows how many years, it looks like Lucy-in-Agatha is going to be gone.
    Thirteen years and ten months.
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-11-11 at 07:30 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •