The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 770
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    My Italian's not brilliant, but doesn't Sparafucile mean "fires easily"? The Foglios sure love their puns.
    Rifle-shooter. Sparafacile would be "easy shooter".

    Sparafucile is a hired assassin in the opera Rigoletto. The libretto of the opera was based on Hugo's drama Le roi s'amuse, which has a killer named Saltabadil instead ("shovel jumper").

    In Italian literature, such names are generally inspired by the names created by Dante for some devils (Calcabrina = Frost-treader, Graffiacane = Dog-scratcher).
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-08-12 at 07:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    It occurs to me that while Agatha is working on something, who said that it was the device that is going to get rid of her mother? Tarvek knows the Other is influencing Agatha and Agatha doesn't even trust herself too far. So why not work on something else to keep Lu distracted?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    It occurs to me that while Agatha is working on something, who said that it was the device that is going to get rid of her mother? Tarvek knows the Other is influencing Agatha and Agatha doesn't even trust herself too far. So why not work on something else to keep Lu distracted?
    I sure hope there's some kind of twist here, and Tarvek wasn't so stupid as to let Agatha/Lu freely work on the extraction machine, instead of tying her to a chair like they did the first time around.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    I cant help but notice that as of right now, everyone that could be listed as primarily a fighter is gone. I mean yes tarvek and gil and martellus can fight, but they arent smoke knights, or jagers. This could be bad.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I cant help but notice that as of right now, everyone that could be listed as primarily a fighter is gone. I mean yes tarvek and gil and martellus can fight, but they arent smoke knights, or jagers. This could be bad.
    Lucrezia isn't exactly a great fighter herself, the only real advantage she has is that Gil and Tarvek don't want to risk any permanent harm to Agatha.

    Unless the defense team lets a few of the special forces through I'm not seeing Lu as being a real threat to three sparks in a brawl, she's going to have to rely on whatever she's done to the machinery.


    Also Tarvek and Martellus are trained as smoke knights as I recall, Violetta once commented she thought Tarvek hadn't been paying attention when they had lessons together. Martellus has shown the ability to defeat smoke knights before and Tarvek has demonstrated some smoke knight tricks in the past. That said, Martellus is with the defense team not the spark team so his abilities are largely irrelevant.



    Trelawney is probably a good fighter, 'Spark of the Realm' and all that.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Lucrezia isn't exactly a great fighter herself, the only real advantage she has is that Gil and Tarvek don't want to risk any permanent harm to Agatha.

    Unless the defense team lets a few of the special forces through I'm not seeing Lu as being a real threat to three sparks in a brawl, she's going to have to rely on whatever she's done to the machinery.


    Also Tarvek and Martellus are trained as smoke knights as I recall, Violetta once commented she thought Tarvek hadn't been paying attention when they had lessons together. Martellus has shown the ability to defeat smoke knights before and Tarvek has demonstrated some smoke knight tricks in the past. That said, Martellus is with the defense team not the spark team so his abilities are largely irrelevant.



    Trelawney is probably a good fighter, 'Spark of the Realm' and all that.
    In addition to that, didn't Gill at one point Supplex a mech? And I'm fairly certain the baron will have taught him a thing or twenty about personal defense and offence, so I wouldn't be too worried about the amount of offensive capabilities in that room.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    I think Martellus should tank while Gil singles out opponents and Tarvek backstabs them.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    My point was more that the number of people present who could get in her way are dropping rapidly. Not that she is going to steamroll them.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Looking at that grin, I'm suddenly wondering if Sparafucile is related to Bangladesh Dupree.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    I wonder if she’s met Gil’s spymistress.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Kareasint View Post
    They say that it's important to enjoy your work but Sparafucile might be enjoying it too much.
    Tweedle does seem to have a lot of cohorts like that - the Hounds are exactly the same.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I cant help but notice that as of right now, everyone that could be listed as primarily a fighter is gone. I mean yes tarvek and gil and martellus can fight, but they arent smoke knights, or jagers. This could be bad.
    Gil is a top notch fighter who has proven his skill many times in this comic. And that included beating up Jagers and slaughtering four sparkwolves in as may seconds. About the only person that would be on Gil's level here is Higgs. Tweedle might think he is better than Gil, but I don't think it's a real contest. In a way you are doing the same think Gil is mad about when he kicked the tar out of Vol. You are totally underestimating him.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Tweedle is no slouch either - he fought on par with Dupree in that same scene. And he was in the same room as the apparatus as recently as last page, which means that Zeetha is also in the room. And Zeetha was able to beat up Lucrezia while she was hopped up on a revivification rush.

    If it came to a brawl, Lucrezia would go down hard. What she did to the device is far more concerning.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Gil is a top notch fighter who has proven his skill many times in this comic. And that included beating up Jagers and slaughtering four sparkwolves in as may seconds. About the only person that would be on Gil's level here is Higgs. Tweedle might think he is better than Gil, but I don't think it's a real contest. In a way you are doing the same think Gil is mad about when he kicked the tar out of Vol. You are totally underestimating him.
    People also have a tendency to underestimate Martellus. This is a man who survived in the Sturmvorous family not by being a brilliant schemer like Tarvek or Seffie, but by killing every assassin sent after him. And we've seen the kinds of assassins that family has. He's like the Mustrum Ridcully of sparks.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I cant help but notice that as of right now, everyone that could be listed as primarily a fighter is gone. I mean yes tarvek and gil and martellus can fight, but they arent smoke knights, or jagers. This could be bad.
    Anyone who could shout "Focus!" or otherwise ground the sparks, are also gone. We have a room full of Europe's most powerful sparks and not a proper grounder among them!
    Last edited by xroads; 2019-08-12 at 03:50 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Anyone who could shout "Focus!" or otherwise ground the sparks, are also gone. We have a room full of Europe's most powerful sparks and not a proper grounder among them!
    This would be a wonderful time for flushing...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Maxim's nose is starting to bug me. When did it get so long?

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by gbs5009 View Post
    Maxim's nose is starting to bug me. When did it get so long?
    When he started telling lies.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by gbs5009 View Post
    Maxim's nose is starting to bug me. When did it get so long?
    Is it getting longer? Or is the rest of the world getting shorter? We may never know....
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    In a way you are doing the same think Gil is mad about when he kicked the tar out of Vol. You are totally underestimating him.
    Gil seems to need to be in the right mindset to do that sort of stuff, though. In his second encounter with Vole he got thoroughly trounced.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Anyone who could shout "Focus!" or otherwise ground the sparks, are also gone. We have a room full of Europe's most powerful sparks and not a proper grounder among them!
    What could possibly go wrong!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    People also have a tendency to underestimate Martellus. This is a man who survived in the Sturmvorous family not by being a brilliant schemer like Tarvek or Seffie, but by killing every assassin sent after him. And we've seen the kinds of assassins that family has. He's like the Mustrum Ridcully of sparks.
    Tweedle is a good fighter no doubt. But all we have seen is that he uses a lot of brute force tactics. And he is physically large and strong enough for them to work. But we have never seen him be a *smart* fighter. Take Tweedle's fight with Bang. If not for his armor he would have been dead several times over. As for the Sturmvorous assassins let's think a moment. They are Storm Nights and the top Strom Knights are called Night Masters. We saw Tweedle's top assassin slaughter Storm Knights and Pirates as well as kick Tarvek around. But that same Night Master was utterly outclassed by Bang. And guess who Gil spars with and was one of his teachers in fighting (and is now at least as good if not better than)? Again Bang.

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Gil seems to need to be in the right mindset to do that sort of stuff, though. In his second encounter with Vole he got thoroughly trounced.
    That's because he didn't take Vole seriously the 2nd time. When he did the 3rd time, Gil wiped the floor with him.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    That's because he didn't take Vole seriously the 2nd time. When he did the 3rd time, Gil wiped the floor with him.
    How does that contradict my point about Gil having to be in the right mindset? Not taking someone seriously is entirely a matter of mindset!

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Tweedle is not a smart fighter. He's a dirty fighter, and pretty good at it as even Tarvek admits.

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    geoduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    They are Storm Nights and the top Strom Knights are called Night Masters.
    Just to nitpick, we've been given no indication that Smoke Knights and Night Masters are in any way related.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Just to nitpick, we've been given no indication that Smoke Knights and Night Masters are in any way related.
    Other than they seem to have similar abilities and tactics.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Other than they seem to have similar abilities and tactics.
    That could be a result of them both being in the Storm King Family's employ moreso than the groups themselves being related. You tell a group of soldiers to go do assassinations instead of fight battles, eventually their skillsets will adapt for stealth.

    Though there's still a 95% chance of the two being different tiers of the same organization.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Divayth Fyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Wouldn't be surprising if they were their own thing, but them being elite Smoke Knights would be equally unsurprising.

    Jaron did mention "they" hit Andronicus with tons of poison after Tweedle said "his Smoke Knights" were softening Valois with it, but that isn't much of a proof for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Wouldn't be surprising if they were their own thing, but them being elite Smoke Knights would be equally unsurprising.

    Jaron did mention "they" hit Andronicus with tons of poison after Tweedle said "his Smoke Knights" were softening Valois with it, but that isn't much of a proof for anything.
    Come to think of it, why would they ever expect that a clearly revived being that's green with parts of his skin melted off would be vulnerable to poison? I would imagine that constructs and many experiments as a whole can be hit by poison, by they had no idea what he was, only that he was more powerful than anything else.

    I guess they just did it because they weren't sure what else to do?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Divayth Fyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Come to think of it, why would they ever expect that a clearly revived being that's green with parts of his skin melted off would be vulnerable to poison? I would imagine that constructs and many experiments as a whole can be hit by poison, by they had no idea what he was, only that he was more powerful than anything else.

    I guess they just did it because they weren't sure what else to do?
    Well, they have some very potent and specialized poinsons in the GG-verse, with all the clanks and constructs running around, I wouldn't be surprized if some were made specially to deal with creatures that are far beyond normal poisons.

    Also, remember the stuff that melted Dimo's hand? He specifically called it a poison, maybe what the Knights used was supposed to be of a similiar potency?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •