New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Let's make a band (character build help)

Alright guys so this is gonna be a weird one.

As a bit of background, my friend who's running this game has been playing/Dming since First Edition. He likes his games to be crazy, he likes overpowered Player characters so he can use groupings of high CR monsters he normally wouldn't be able to, and he especially likes level 20+ games.

This game is 5E and homebrew (Only printed classes/races though) and we'll be starting at level 7. The idea of this game is inspired heavily off of Metalocalypse and Tencious D in that we're forming a band, one that isn't particularly trying to bad things, we're just playing our (Admittedly fairly taboo) music, and bad things happen around us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, onto the meat and bones, for this game it was heavily suggested that we play bards, and as someone who rarely does, I'm pretty happy to oblige. Something about this homebrew world makes bards stronger in that they're effectively a level higher at all times (If I'm a level 7 bard, my spell slots, known spells, Bardic inspiration, etc. are calculated as though I'm level 8). Including a really big kicker in that at level 20, Bards gain the ability to create and cast ONE 10th level spell with DM approval. You'd regain the spell slot once a week or so, basically epic level gets ridiculous.

I know for a fact of friend of mine will be doing a Lore bard, playing it as a kind of Murderface/KG character, and another is doing a Pyromancer Sorcerer that's flavored so all of his spells are meat/gore based, so I figured I'd go with 20 levels of Valor bard (I like melee casters maybe a tad too much) with a strength focus as there's no room for Multiclassing and I'm a bit bored of Finesse as it is.

Aesthetically, I'm wanting something of a Nathan Explosion type character, the lovable, charismatic, yet terrifying front man of the band, so I was mostly leaning toward Half-Orc or Dwarf, but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone thinks I can do better.

Our party stat pool is 18, 17, 17, 17, 15, 14 (Like I said, he likes his batsh*t crazy games) and our stats cap at 22 for this game. As for Armor and weapons I'm not sure what I want to do, and as far as Magical Secrets go the only one I know for a fact I want is Tenser's Transformation at 14 and Possibly Guardian of Nature at 10, but otherwise I'm unsure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's it, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be more happy to read them, thank you!
    Last edited by Jcp1195; 2019-07-21 at 01:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Let's make a band (character build help)

Lovable could be glamour bard and terrifying could be whispers bard. Actually it would be neat if every pc had a different bard college.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Let's make a band (character build help)

I'd recommend Valor. It fits thematically with your character concept, it naturally fits well with the spells you're interested in, it comes with additional armor and weapons, it's pretty fleshed out.

You could also go 2 Paladin + Swords Bard, which would also fit the concept pretty dang well while outfitting you in Heavy Armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!