New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default [M&M3E] Trying to build an Elementalist

Hey guys. I'm trying to build an elementalist and I'm having trouble translating what I want the character to do into powers. Could I could some advice here please?

1. Attacking Powers - So the first step, I obviously need some form of offense. I'm thinking an array with variable so I can switch between the four elements, but could I also have it switch between a ranged attack and a melee attack? Should I make the ranged attack perception based?

2. Control Powers - Since my character will be controlling the elements, that theoretically opens a world of control options - ice slicks, holes, slanted terrain, walls made out of elements, etc. Would this be another variable array with different elemental control effects?

3. Affliction Powers - Elements also theoretically have affliction potential, but would this be better tacked onto an attack power? I'm not sure how to go about this part.

4. Support/Buffs - So there's the obvious things like buffing a party member's armor with armor made of rock, boosting speed with wind, and others, but I've read that buffers run into the problem of hitting PL limits so you have to do really roundabout methods of buffing. I really like the idea of supporting the party with elemental enchantments and stuff, maybe granting someone flight with wind or like I previously said earth armor, but this one seems like it'd be the most difficult to pull off.

5. Heals - Pretty sure my team has no healing capabilities, and elemental abilities definitely bring that to the table. Would this just be as simple as making a power with the healing/regeneration, element control, and affects others effects/modifiers?

6. And since I'm going basically the Avatar route, is there a way to make a "powered up" state like the Avatar state, and make it completely/partially uncontrollable (moments of high stress and such)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Zebraoracle; 2019-07-21 at 10:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M3E] Trying to build an Elementalist

Mkay. So. The first most important thing to remember when building a character like this is that power stunts exist for a reason. Your array doesn't have to include every possible permutation of your powers, just the ones you think you'll use most often. So, for an elementalist, I might look at an array like...
    • Elemental Strike: Ranged Damage, Multiattack, Variable Descriptor 2 (any elemental effect)
    • Windstorm: Line Area Move Object
    • Earthen Ramparts: Create, Permanent, Impervious
    • Call the Waves: Perception Move Object, Damaging, Limited to Water (and stuff mainly made of water, like people)
    • Fireball: Ranged Burst Area Damage

That gets you a wide set of options that should cover most situations. If something really specific comes up, power stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebraoracle View Post
    3. Affliction Powers - Elements also theoretically have affliction potential, but would this be better tacked onto an attack power? I'm not sure how to go about this part.
    I mean... the Affliction effect. An option like Snare would work pretty well for encasing someone in ice or stone.

4. Support/Buffs - So there's the obvious things like buffing a party member's armor with armor made of rock, boosting speed with wind, and others, but I've read that buffers run into the problem of hitting PL limits so you have to do really roundabout methods of buffing. I really like the idea of supporting the party with elemental enchantments and stuff, maybe granting someone flight with wind or like I previously said earth armor, but this one seems like it'd be the most difficult to pull off.
    Your key here is the Affects Only Others modifier. Want to give someone earth armor? Impervious Toughness, Affects Only Others. Fire shield? Reaction Damage, Affects Only Others.

5. Heals - Pretty sure my team has no healing capabilities, and elemental abilities definitely bring that to the table. Would this just be as simple as making a power with the healing/regeneration, element control, and affects others effects/modifiers?
    Remember, you heal all Toughness penalties as soon as you have a minute to recover. A healer character is tactically unnecessary. That said, you're right that it's simple-- either Healing or Regeneration, Affects Only Others. No need for "element control."

6. And since I'm going basically the Avatar route, is there a way to make a "powered up" state like the Avatar state, and make it completely/partially uncontrollable (moments of high stress and such)?
    The best you can do is to build a major self-buff and slap on a bunch of flaws (Uncontrollable, Unreliable, Tiring, etc) on it. You can't really increase your numbers*, but you can certainly add stuff.

*...sort of. Luck and Luck Control are the closest you can come to a classic +x buff.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M3E] Trying to build an Elementalist

Quote Originally Posted by Zebraoracle View Post

Thanks!
    The Hero High splatbook has a "Holding Back" advantage for this. Up to the GM whether to allow it, of course.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.