New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Exclamation Kobold Beast Master Scout, Oh my!!!!

Huzzah! Once again Giants in the playground, good evening!

I am currently about to retire a character for a campaign and going to drop right in at level 8 as a Revised Beast master/Scout Rogue 4/4!
    I have maxed Dex and an 18 in wisdom. So, my main stats are covered. My DM has allowed me a homebrew medallion that allows me to switch between my beast companions which are an ape and a wolf. Though, with a hefty cooldown so no switch shenanigans in the middle of fights. xD

Now, the reason why I am here is because I am conflicted going forward. The Kobold has crossbow expert and sharpshooter feats now, he rides the wolf or ape, though he only uses them to get to vantage points and all that. Otherwise he's usually on foot.

Going level 9 and onward I am not sure if I should peruse more levels in ranger, for that sweet lightning arrow, or simply leave at like ranger 5 for that coop attack with my pet, then ditch to like a fighter or maybe even a caster? I was going to pursue rogue till at least level 8. So I have some levels to play around with.

Now, I know most campaigns do not get to max level and I am sure this one wont either. But, I would still love some input on which direction would be the best to take. More ranger for spells? Maybe a new caster class? Go fighter 3 for battlemaster or perhaps continue fighter and do eldritch knight?

I appreciate all suggestions and advice and thank you very much for reading this.

Huzzah!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Kobold Beast Master Scout, Oh my!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grorl View Post
    Huzzah! Once again Giants in the playground, good evening!

I am currently about to retire a character for a campaign and going to drop right in at level 8 as a Revised Beast master/Scout Rogue 4/4!
    I have maxed Dex and an 18 in wisdom. So, my main stats are covered. My DM has allowed me a homebrew medallion that allows me to switch between my beast companions which are an ape and a wolf. Though, with a hefty cooldown so no switch shenanigans in the middle of fights. xD

Now, the reason why I am here is because I am conflicted going forward. The Kobold has crossbow expert and sharpshooter feats now, he rides the wolf or ape, though he only uses them to get to vantage points and all that. Otherwise he's usually on foot.

Going level 9 and onward I am not sure if I should peruse more levels in ranger, for that sweet lightning arrow, or simply leave at like ranger 5 for that coop attack with my pet, then ditch to like a fighter or maybe even a caster? I was going to pursue rogue till at least level 8. So I have some levels to play around with.

Now, I know most campaigns do not get to max level and I am sure this one wont either. But, I would still love some input on which direction would be the best to take. More ranger for spells? Maybe a new caster class? Go fighter 3 for battlemaster or perhaps continue fighter and do eldritch knight?

I appreciate all suggestions and advice and thank you very much for reading this.

Huzzah!
    I'd almost recommend starting with beast master 5 for the reaction attack and then go scout for the ASI and maybe uncanny dodge. After that, your pet becomes very tanky as you progress in beast master (and spell slots are great). Battlemaster until 5/6 makes you very adept in combat.

I'd seriously consider dropping scout though
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skylivedk View Post
    I'd almost recommend starting with beast master 5 for the reaction attack and then go scout for the ASI and maybe uncanny dodge. After that, your pet becomes very tanky as you progress in beast master (and spell slots are great). Battlemaster until 5/6 makes you very adept in combat.

I'd seriously consider dropping scout though
    Dropping it entirely?
    Interesting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Dropping it entirely?
    Interesting.
    For a beastmaster, I think you're definitely better off going all ranger for the full beast buff. For that matter, take the mounted combat feat and riding your wolf with dual shortswords and/or a hand crossbow you'd be a real terror.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    For a beastmaster, I think you're definitely better off going all ranger for the full beast buff. For that matter, take the mounted combat feat and riding your wolf with dual shortswords and/or a hand crossbow you'd be a real terror.
    Yeah, I was thinking of going the rest of the way so, ranger 16/rogue 4. Possibly rogue 7 for the evasion and other thing, I forget the name. But, why the mounted combatant feat? I already get advantage with attacks from pact tactics of kobold. And, I would want to avoid attacks on myself, seeing as the wolf currently at level 8 is sitting at an 18 AC already. The only benefit would be the avoidance for spells with a dex check.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah, I was thinking of going the rest of the way so, ranger 16/rogue 4. Possibly rogue 7 for the evasion and other thing, I forget the name. But, why the mounted combatant feat? I already get advantage with attacks from pact tactics of kobold. And, I would want to avoid attacks on myself, seeing as the wolf currently at level 8 is sitting at an 18 AC already. The only benefit would be the avoidance for spells with a dex check.
    Mounted combat feat let's you redirect attacks from your mount to you and effectively gives your mount evasion.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

And after Beastmaster 11, you'll probably enjoy having an extra attack more than the rogue levels, hence my recommendation for Battlemaster. Up to you of course. Or also depends on the role you want to play. Of course it depends on your party, but expertise survival isn't worth as much with your revised ranger features and it's easy to forget that sharpshooter and crossbow expert stack much better with fighter levels than rogue ones.
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skylivedk View Post
    And after Beastmaster 11, you'll probably enjoy having an extra attack more than the rogue levels, hence my recommendation for Battlemaster. Up to you of course. Or also depends on the role you want to play. Of course it depends on your party, but expertise survival isn't worth as much with your revised ranger features and it's easy to forget that sharpshooter and crossbow expert stack much better with fighter levels than rogue ones.
    So ranger 11 rest in fighter? I actually took EK rather than battlemaster. Simply due to the fact of spell slots. Also I really enjoy the defensive capabilities of that subclass. While I could get a few neat things from battlemaster, EK has a better fit for the campaign he'll be ran in. I believe the advantage from pact tactics will net more hits than precise strike. That and we have plenty of PC's with bless. Lol