New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default A Lucid Dreaming Handbook?

I've been on a kick lately to compile as much interesting game mechanic talk, rule interpretation/debate and homebrew content for the 3.0 Lucid Dreaming skill (MotP p.203). My research has been mostly isolated to here at GitP. Reason being, doing a site-wide strategic search has brought up a ton of time-consuming threads & posts on this niche skill.

The general consensus has been that the skill is poorly detailed and very loose in its game-mechanic verbiage. Which has lead to a tremendous amount of debate and T.O. extrapolations. And the more I read about all this stuff, the more intrigued I am in this highly-flavorful skill that was just a blip on the WotC 3.X game designer's radar. To note, Paizo did eventually riff off of this skill in their 2015 Occult Adventures book. And for those looking for true dreamscapey d20 goodness, it's hard to beat Dreamscarred Press' 3PP take on dream-related psionics in both their 3.5 and PF sourcebooks.

That all said, I was wondering if any of you have any links or recommended internet reading that borders on being a "3.P Lucid Dreaming Skill Handbook"? With optimization talk on tips, tricks & T.O. boundary-pushing.

In regards to the GitP Community, I have to give props to 2 people here in the 3.5 subforum who've given me a lot of ideas on Lucid Dreaming usage-creativity. That being Ruethgar and Uncle Pine.

But if you *really* want some real meaty Lucid Dreaming goodies for inspiration and boundary-pushing, you should do a search on everything Lucid Dreaming, oneiromancy & dreamscape related over at the Homebrew subforum. There's a lot there and it's quality buildcraft.

So in summation, thanks for reading .... and if any of you have any recently amazing & creative ideas for optimizing the Lucid Dreaming skill, I'd love to see them! Especially about the specific skill property of:

Change Aspect: An aspect of a dreamscape includes background features such as lighting, terrain, architecture of a given building, vegetation (or lack thereof ), and other relatively innocuous characteristics of a dreamscape.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: A Lucid Dreaming Handbook?

Eberrons dreamtouched (dream scion) feats explicitly make you enter a state of dreaming. What happens if you use lucid dream to change terrain while you're dream scioning, and then use that terrain to attack or retreat? Like if you change the dreamscape to create a wall and then you climb that dream wall, what do your opponents see? Are you flying? Did you just climb the air.

Here is dream scions text (secrets of sarlona) "By tapping into the latent essence of dreams that saturates all Eberron, you are able to draw power from the otherworldly dreamspace (see page 18).

As a full-round action, you enter a dreamtouched state—a condition of conscious dreaming that focuses the world around you even as it reveals your own inner self. You can enter a dreamtouched state once per day for every six character levels you have."

Pair that with dream telling from heroes of horror and use knowledge planes checks to track and or get free augury spells.

Oneiromancy is even weirder. What if you cast share pain but only target the pain part to your own dreamself?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Dream walk moves you physically to somebody's dreamscape. Also, you can enter other people's dreams, pull them into the Dreamheart, and then leave them there. Remember, if you die in the Dreamheart, you die in real life.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Disaster View Post
    I've been on a kick lately to compile as much interesting game mechanic talk, rule interpretation/debate and homebrew content for the 3.0 Lucid Dreaming skill (MotP p.203). My research has been mostly isolated to here at GitP. Reason being, doing a site-wide strategic search has brought up a ton of time-consuming threads & posts on this niche skill.

The general consensus has been that the skill is poorly detailed and very loose in its game-mechanic verbiage. Which has lead to a tremendous amount of debate and T.O. extrapolations. And the more I read about all this stuff, the more intrigued I am in this highly-flavorful skill that was just a blip on the WotC 3.X game designer's radar. To note, Paizo did eventually riff off of this skill in their 2015 Occult Adventures book. And for those looking for true dreamscapey d20 goodness, it's hard to beat Dreamscarred Press' 3PP take on dream-related psionics in both their 3.5 and PF sourcebooks.

That all said, I was wondering if any of you have any links or recommended internet reading that borders on being a "3.P Lucid Dreaming Skill Handbook"? With optimization talk on tips, tricks & T.O. boundary-pushing.

In regards to the GitP Community, I have to give props to 2 people here in the 3.5 subforum who've given me a lot of ideas on Lucid Dreaming usage-creativity. That being Ruethgar and Uncle Pine.

But if you *really* want some real meaty Lucid Dreaming goodies for inspiration and boundary-pushing, you should do a search on everything Lucid Dreaming, oneiromancy & dreamscape related over at the Homebrew subforum. There's a lot there and it's quality buildcraft.

So in summation, thanks for reading .... and if any of you have any recently amazing & creative ideas for optimizing the Lucid Dreaming skill, I'd love to see them! Especially about the specific skill property of:

Change Aspect: An aspect of a dreamscape includes background features such as lighting, terrain, architecture of a given building, vegetation (or lack thereof ), and other relatively innocuous characteristics of a dreamscape.
    ld4all is a good site to learn about lucid dreaming

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

@daremetoidareyo .... That's good stuff. Thank you.

Also, after poking around here and a few other forums, I can confirm there is no Lucid Dreaming Handbook out there.

The part of "Change Aspect" that intrigues me the most is the ability to change the vegetation of a Lucid Dream. That could also mean making changes to plant creatures or manipulating creature templates that change creatures to plants.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Very loosely related, but the Dreamtelling/Oneiromancy line of feats (HoH) are pretty decent for a dream-themed caster.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's the 3.0 spell Dream Travel (Sor/Wiz 8, Manual of the Planes), which basically is a planeshift (but a level higher?) into the plane of Dream?

Huh. If one could enter one's own dreams via Dream Travel, and they're lucidly dreaming... Hm. You know architects in the Inception universe? It feels like a lucid dreamer who's in their own Dream has a lot of power.
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2019-07-24 at 03:49 AM.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Very loosely related, but the Dreamtelling/Oneiromancy line of feats (HoH) are pretty decent for a dream-themed caster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    There's the 3.0 spell Dream Travel (Sor/Wiz 8, Manual of the Planes), which basically is a planeshift (but a level higher?) into the plane of Dream?

Huh. If one could enter one's own dreams via Dream Travel, and they're lucidly dreaming... Hm. You know architects in the Inception universe? It feels like a lucid dreamer who's in their own Dream has a lot of power.
    Dream Walk is a 4th-level Oneiromancy that lets you enter a dreamscape.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Wasn't there a Lucid Dreaming handbook somewhere on Brilliant Gameologist or MinMax Forums?
    I couldn't find one, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Eberrons dreamtouched (dream scion) feats explicitly make you enter a state of dreaming. What happens if you use lucid dream to change terrain while you're dream scioning, and then use that terrain to attack or retreat? Like if you change the dreamscape to create a wall and then you climb that dream wall, what do your opponents see? Are you flying? Did you just climb the air.
    Holy carp! You can become Labyrinth from Worm! All you need now is a way for allies to benefit from it, or to inflict it on enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II