New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default My Son the Dragon - Bizarre Parenting in D&D

Let me preface this by saying I really thought I was going to avoid the stereotype of being the bard whose story produces surprise kids.

My bard recently became a truly single parent to a bright-eyed, bouncing silver dragon. Since the party was level 9, he's been carrying a special glowstone gifted by a follower of Bahamut. It was always on his person and seemed to protest when pass-offs to others were attempted. Over time and proper amounts of bonding, it granted use of some healing properties.

The party is now level 19. Two weeks ago, in a grand hall with a handful of gathered deities, the group was asked to prove why they should be trusted with a very key, risky defense over other mortals. Why should the gods offer any scraps of support? Members took turns offering reasons.

My bard's was, "Because we can do surprising things with your favors." Displaying the small aspect to Bahamut, he cast True Polymorph and created a young silver dragon in front of the assembly.

The spell was held throughout the meeting and a bit after. Having only cast the spell once before, my bard startled and excused himself to rush back toward where they'd left the recently-spawned, newly-permanent lifeform. Having no idea of the creature's mental faculties or whether it was truly independent now, he asked a few cursory questions. Tentative, curious replies were given in return.

"Well, I think you might actually have free will now... Quick! Do something I didn't tell you to do."

The dragon thought for a moment, then stuck out its tongue with a questioning look.

Oh no. He's adorable.

Reeling with implications, my bard admitted he'd considered once or twice creating an ally for upcoming conflicts, but he didn't want to force it. If the dragon wanted to stay and help defend the land, he would be given a place to stay and as much accommodating as the bard could offer. If he wanted to leave, well... the bard would see if he could scrape together some starting gems and a letter of introduction to a country known for its draconic population.

The young dragon hesitated, then said he felt like he already knew the bard well. He wanted to repay the opportunity to live.

So now my bard- a respected chancellor at this point in the campaign- is walking around the capital with a dragon following him around like a baby duck. Argyros goes from thoughtful, reserved comments to excitedly dashing off to explore or nudge things or talk a passing guard's ear off. Completely oblivious to why they get all antsy around him.

And it's all very heartwarming and terrifying because I guess now we're kind of taking a child into the final battle. A half-ton, ice-breathing child with more hp than his dad, but still. My poor bard is struggling with the moral ramifications of this one.

Does anyone else have fun stories of PCs becoming unusual/unexpected parents during their campaign? I'd love to hear! These kinds of things are always super entertaining to me.

Also, feel free to leave advice on How to Dad Your Dragon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Son the Dragon - Bizarre Parenting in D&D

Dragons don't have a childhood. They age and grow more powerful, but even fresh out of an egg, they can already think about as well as humans, speak a language, and have a fully-developed moral and ethical outlook, and are already powerful enough to sit at the top of most food chains.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ah but this is not an ordinary silver dragon, but the bard’s unconsciousness wish for a child given dragon form.

We had a party in a 7th Sea campaign that ran into and adopted a child prophesied to overthrow the Selee Court and doom the world. We treated her so well the gm didn’t have the heart to make her fulfil the prophecy.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Can 5e Silver Dragons polymorph? Maybe he should transform into a kid his mental age so he can hang out with his daddy more easily. Also, adorableness increases. ;)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I had a very charismatic cleric back in 2e days called Septem. He had a very black and white view of morality when he started out. But an encounter with some kobolds lead him to the old question of inheritance versus environment, and he decided to find out more. He bought two eggs from the kobolds and raised the cubs with stern kindness.
    The campaign ended, but Septem became a recurring NPC, always fearlessly grappling with some moral question or other, like if someone has gone to Hell, is it right to set them free? The kobolds became his adoring companions, always around and keeping an eye on people near him, as if he needed their constant vigilance.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Ah but this is not an ordinary silver dragon, but the bard’s unconsciousness wish for a child given dragon form.
    "Something, something, magic" works as an explanation for a lot, honestly. The wish for a child isn't entirely untrue, haha, though the dragon has a fair bit more knowledge than a child. Just a lot of naivety and wonder and art for the ice box.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    We had a party in a 7th Sea campaign that ran into and adopted a child prophesied to overthrow the Selee Court and doom the world. We treated her so well the gm didn’t have the heart to make her fulfil the prophecy.
    Undermining a world-ending plan by bonding with neglected children sounds like one of the sweetest ways one can avoid the apocalypse. That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Can 5e Silver Dragons polymorph? Maybe he should transform into a kid his mental age so he can hang out with his daddy more easily. Also, adorableness increases. ;)
    I like where your head's at! Sadly, they can't polymorph until they become adults, so that'll be approximately 94 years down the line. Dad will still be around (half-elf), but at that point it's probably more a "Surprise! Guess who can finally wear matching clothes for family portraits?"

However, the wizard did just get the ability to cast Reduce/Enlarge without expending spell slots if desired, so maybe we can still have him fit on the playground equipment? ... Can one temporarily True Polymorph a True Polymorphed creation into a child for 55 minutes? These are the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    I had a very charismatic cleric back in 2e days called Septem. He had a very black and white view of morality when he started out. But an encounter with some kobolds lead him to the old question of inheritance versus environment, and he decided to find out more. He bought two eggs from the kobolds and raised the cubs with stern kindness.
    Aww. Sounds like a really interesting angle for personal growth, honestly. I'd be curious whether he initially thought he was likely going to end up killing the cubs (less cute to start), and/or how the conclusion that nurture beat nature affected him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

OP:
    Is it not possible to have true Polymorphed that object into an Adult Silver Dragon at level 19?

(Adult Silver Dragon Challenge Rating = 16 )

Why yes, yes it was. Silver Dragons (Adult and Ancient) have the change shape ability. Could have change shaped into any kind of humanoid ...

Anyway, loved your post and the fun you all seem to be having with this.

Rock On!
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-07-23 at 02:30 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Your post made my day <3
    Your group sounds like a blast to play with ^^

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    OP:
    Is it not possible to have true Polymorphed that object into an Adult Silver Dragon at level 19?

Why yes, yes it was. Silver Dragons (Adult and Ancient) have the change shape ability. Could have change shaped into any kind of humanoid ...

Rock On!
    True Poly: Object -> Creature only succeeds if the target object is at least as big as the desired creature (in terms of size category) and the desired creature is CR 9 or less, so adult dragons are pretty much out of the picture

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

That is disappointing that Silvers (and I suppose golds, too, likely) lost the ability to shapeshift from birth in 5e.

Reduce will help keep him a manageable size, though. Could polymorph him, yourself, too.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    OP:

Rock On!
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryblaze View Post
    True Poly: Object -> Creature only succeeds if the target object is at least as big as the desired creature (in terms of size category) and the desired creature is CR 9 or less, so adult dragons are pretty much out of the picture

As gloryblaze said, the CR is capped at 9 for creating life from nothing. We either collectively forgot the original object's size restriction or bypassed it due to it being a divine gift. If I'm being honest, likely it started as the former and will get retconned as the latter.

But see, you're right that the CR of Creature-to-Creature transformations is 19 so long as the result is no higher CR than the original. My bard himself will have no trouble turning into an Adult Silver Dragon now or an Ancient White in a few sessions! ... Aaaand now all I can think of is my slight, proper politician exploding into gigantic reptile form to try some of those bonding and training sections from the draconic parenting books he's been reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    Your post made my day <3
    Your group sounds like a blast to play with ^^
    Well thank you! The other members have some pretty unique circumstances themselves, so it's a colorful bunch. Hope the rest of your day is good too~

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    That is disappointing that Silvers (and I suppose golds, too, likely) lost the ability to shapeshift from birth in 5e.

Reduce will help keep him a manageable size, though. Could polymorph him, yourself, too.
    Hmm, interesting. I didn't realize that was a thing in previous editions. Maybe sporadic shapeshifting for infants and adolescents isn't as great a survival technique as it's cracked up to be? Whatever the reasoning, I think it's fitting as a later power.

Even if I adore the mental image of a couple adopting this abandoned baby girl they find in the woods-- only to discover a wyrmling in the crib next morning.

Considering True Polymorph is an ongoing effect that "lasts until dispelled," I'm a wee bit hesitant to actually try polymorphing the guy into anything else lest I accidentally break his soul. Still, I feel my bard going ancient dragon to initiate more traditional play could be a sweet alternative. Parenthood is about adapting to the needs of your kids, after all!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragoeniex View Post
    Aww. Sounds like a really interesting angle for personal growth, honestly. I'd be curious whether he initially thought he was likely going to end up killing the cubs (less cute to start), and/or how the conclusion that nurture beat nature affected him.
    Septem had no doubt that he would bring those two kobolds up well enough that they would not become his enemies. After all, the kobolds he was dealing with already proved that kobolds need not always be met with violence. The question was more whether they would be able to become genuinely good people.
    As to the effect on him, the end of the experiment only came about after he became an NPC, so in a sense I don't know. But raising children probably had a greater impact on his approach to life than the outcome of the experiment. He used to be self-sacrificing to an almost destructive degree. He had to dial that down with two kobolds depending on him.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Septem had no doubt that he would bring those two kobolds up well enough that they would not become his enemies. After all, the kobolds he was dealing with already proved that kobolds need not always be met with violence. The question was more whether they would be able to become genuinely good people.
    As to the effect on him, the end of the experiment only came about after he became an NPC, so in a sense I don't know. But raising children probably had a greater impact on his approach to life than the outcome of the experiment. He used to be self-sacrificing to an almost destructive degree. He had to dial that down with two kobolds depending on him.
    I like that. There's something very heart-warming about imagining a crusted-over warrior chasing a pair of kobolds through the marketplace/church/dungeon and yelling for his kids to slow down and mind their manners. Being less self-sacrificial also makes sense.