New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Specifics about Phoenix Bloodine Sorceror (UA)

The description of Mantle of Flame states "Any creature takes fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier if it hits you with a melee attack from within 5 feet of you or if it touches you."

The important bit is "Touches you."

Now this probably would exclude your weapon attacks (As that's your weapon, not "you"), but would (90%) include grapples, as that's forced bodily contact (And you are literally on fire..

Now, the puzzler: unarmed attacks. They are "You", but also an attack. Do they apply the damage? And if they do, how many times per round? I ask because of Monk's Flurry of Blows. If this works, you could make a really sweet Monk build. I'd call it "Dance Dance Immolation Monk."
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Specifics about Phoenix Bloodine Sorceror (UA)

Because unarmed strikes are:
    Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an unarmed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). On a hit, an unarmed strike deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 + your Strength modifier. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes.
    I will say you indeed touch them.
    I will say that touch spells will need no argue.

The problem that it look like the creature need to touch you instead of you touching it. One can argue that your touch will not work(it will be weird but 5e have a lot of weird rules).

Those are my arguments.
    You need to ask your DM or in case you are the DM make the choice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It's not "when you are touching" or make contact, it's when creature [subject] touches [verb] you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'd say any creature using it's action to escape a grapple would indeed be touching the sorcerer.
    "That 'fluff', is RAW"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    It's not "when you are touching" or make contact, it's when creature [subject] touches [verb] you.
    It's difficult to imagine a scenario where creature A is touching creature B, but creature B is not touching creature A.

That said, this is a UA, an not a very good one. There's going to be some language in there that doesn't sit well with the rest of the game, so the DM is absolutely free to say no, change it, or rewrite it entirely until it makes sense. That said, 1 minute per day of +CHA to unarmed attack damage probably isn't going to break much. CHA on a monk is a pretty significant sacrifice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    It's difficult to imagine a scenario where creature A is touching creature B, but creature B is not touching creature A.

That said, this is a UA, an not a very good one. There's going to be some language in there that doesn't sit well with the rest of the game, so the DM is absolutely free to say no, change it, or rewrite it entirely until it makes sense. That said, 1 minute per day of +CHA to unarmed attack damage probably isn't going to break much. CHA on a monk is a pretty significant sacrifice.
    A making contact with B.
    Not the state of A and B being in contact.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    I've let my players use a bunch of crazy UA and multiclassing shenanigans and it's never been game breaking. One of my players always insists on playing a monk/sorc and I even let him use both unarmored defense bonuses and roll his own rediculous stats. There are always enemies with resistance and immunities to your PCs tricks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

So if you have a rules lawyer, then I'd say unarmed attack works. If someone punches me in the face, it is a grammatically correct sentence to say my cheek was touching his fist, as much as his fist touching my face. And it would be ridiculous to say that touching only counts for enemy hands/weapons.

If you asked me in a general sense, no it doesn't. My little sister poking me saying "stop touching me stop touching me" is childish.

At the end of the day...allow it. It allows the monk for some fun nova in a very MAD build.
    Last edited by Karnitis; 2019-07-24 at 11:44 AM.