New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Reach for my hand, I'll soar away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I found Blue Lions to have the best story of all routes, so I think you'll enjoy it.
    Having finished it...I still think I liked the Golden Deer route better. If only because you actually deal with The Slitherers. If they weren't involved in the story and left as a hanging question mark up and until the final chapter, if the story really was just about Edelgard and Dimitri...I'd probably agree more. It certainly feels, now that I'm on my Edelgard Route, that Claude and his house weren't needed for the story. They could have cut them out and made it just about the dynamic between Dimitri and Edelgard and explored that way more and it would have still been a great, maybe better, story.

I also really disliked how they put Claude on a boat and just sent him off. At least in the Golden Deer Route they had the decency to give the Blue Lions some sort of resolution. The Claude I know from his own path wouldn't abandon his friends and the Alliance like he did in the Blue Lion's route and it just felt so weird for him to go "Yeah, we all voted and we're totally cool with rejoining the country we broke away from and give up our autonomy."

I am, however, on my third Route. One of two times with the Black Eagles. I plan on putting Edelgard on her Character Classes, she's a Lord right now. Hubert I've got going for Dark Knight, Lin I have going Holy Knight. Ferdie and Petra are well on their way to Wyvern Lords. Dorothea is aiming for Gremory. Bernie is obviously heading to Archer Knight and Caspar is going for War...whatever. I've recruited Ingrid for my 10th and she's going Pegusus Knight. She more or less solo'd the last level on my Blue Lion's run. She's just so good. Byleth I've got going the Dark/Mage route this time. I plan on getting Felix, Lyth and probably Lorenz for Supports.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-09-10 at 03:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

I found Blue Lions to have the best story of all routes, so I think you'll enjoy it.
    That's a rather high bar at this point, but sure, we will see. I'm certainly not expecting not to like it at this point.

From personal experience, I'd say Blue Lions are the strongest overall House. Dedue is the best heavy armor class, Ashe is the best archer due to his high Speed and Dex (and access to Deadeye), Ingrid is the best Pegasus Knight, and Mercedes is the best healer. Sylvain is quite possibly the best all-around character in the game - he does decent physical damage, decent magic damage, has a good spell list, and is tough enough to take hits when needed. Annette and Felix have also been consistently good, leaving no bad characters where the other Houses each have at least one that have failed to do well for me (Ferdinand for Black Eagles, Ignatz for Golden Deer).
    Eh, I'm suspecting some of that is down to level-up RNG for you.

For Dedue, for instance, well, for starters Edelgard counts as a heavy armor character, so hard to compete with a Lord for that title. And looking at his numbers he's almost identical stat-wise to Rafael - none of their growths differ by more than 5% except luck, where Raph actually has +10% on Dedue. Dedue gets slightly better starting stats, but just to the tune of +1 in most of the important areas, so that matters little in the long run.

For Ashe, maybe Deadeye's a huge deal, I don't know yet, but like Dedue, his numbers look almost the same as Ignatz and Bernie. The biggest difference between the three is luck, where it's actually Ignatz that has the highest, by a fair margin, while Ashe is in the middle.

And for healers Mercedes' numbers look quite comparable to Marianne's, and not much better than Lindhart's. And as far as Ingrid being the best Pegasus Knight, she's the only one by default, so lack of competition there - and I kind of doubt she's actually the best if you expand it to every candidate, since then you have to factor in the likes of Leonie, who beats her in most areas and ties in speed, losing only in resistance, which the class helps her make up for anyway. (Also loses in magic, but that doesn't matter, unless you want them wielding a Levin Sword or something.) Ingrid does get a Relic though, so I suppose you could argue that makes up for it - on a first run, before you can hand out crest stones to let anyone use them, anyway.

Felix definitely looks notable strong, and Sylvain's stats are well-rounded enough that he can likely be almost anything you want, though, so that's fair. The house definitely seems to start out strong all around, at least.

I'll also say, Ferdinand being weak for you was likely bad luck, his numbers look pretty solid, and my experience with him had him as one of my strongest units outside of the leading duo.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I won't try and argue growth rates (because frankly growth rates are a level of detail I simply don't care about).

On Dedue, I had forgotten that Edelgard is a heavy armor class, so fair point there.

For Mercedes, her stats don't matter. What makes her the best healer is her personal ability that lets her heal herself for free, as well as a fantastic spell list with the trifecta of Physic, Restore, and Fortify. The only person who comes close to being as effective is Flayn, and Flayn doesn't get Physic. In fact, I believe Mercedes to be the only primary Healer that solely has curative spells (and Nosferatu, but that spell appears to be universal). Her Crest is also ideal for the low number of uses that Fortify has, allowing her to regularly pick up an extra use or two of it.

Now, that's not to rag on the other healers. Warp and Rescue are powerful spells in their own right. For a healer though, Fortify is so much more powerful than anything else out there. It's the difference between needing multiple healers and only needing one. And Mercedes being able to include herself in Fortify is just gravy.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

I won't try and argue growth rates (because frankly growth rates are a level of detail I simply don't care about).
    Eh, fair I suppose, though they're the way to go if you want to look at who is statistically better. Any run can get good RNG and end up with godlike characters, it's what they do on average that counts most of the time.

For Mercedes, her stats don't matter. What makes her the best healer is her personal ability that lets her heal herself for free, as well as a fantastic spell list with the trifecta of Physic, Restore, and Fortify. The only person who comes close to being as effective is Flayn, and Flayn doesn't get Physic. In fact, I believe Mercedes to be the only primary Healer that solely has curative spells (and Nosferatu, but that spell appears to be universal). Her Crest is also ideal for the low number of uses that Fortify has, allowing her to regularly pick up an extra use or two of it.

Now, that's not to rag on the other healers. Warp and Rescue are powerful spells in their own right. For a healer though, Fortify is so much more powerful than anything else out there. It's the difference between needing multiple healers and only needing one. And Mercedes being able to include herself in Fortify is just gravy.
    Also fair, Mercedes' unique ability is definitely a good one, and I didn't look into specifically what spells she got. Fortify I actually haven't seen at all so far, because apparently only Mercedes and Flayn get it, and I haven't used either of them in my previous runs - and looking up what it does, yeah, hard to argue that someone with that wouldn't make the best healer. Particularly if her stats are comparable to the others' for other purposes, which they are.

Also, have to say, Flayn not getting Physic is surprising and sad. That makes her the only character who defaults to the healer classes who doesn't, and it's such an important one for the party healer. Guess they assumed she'd always be a secondary healer to Lindhart, Mercedes, or Marianne.

Oh, and yes, Nosferatu is universal. Everybody gets Heal and Nosferatu as their first two Faith spells, and after that it's more individualized.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-09-10 at 06:09 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #425
    Colossus in the Playground

Wave 2 of DLC is out! New missions and such, as well as a free update to everyone unlocking MADDENING mode, which if you beat as a clean save file gets you a slightly different title screen.

But most importantly... gym clothes. Pre and Post time skip.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

I noticed the update and new difficulty as I was playing tonight. Kind of tempted to restart my Blue Lions run to use Maddening difficulty, but my free time feels limited enough as-is, I don't really want to lose even the little progress I have. I'll use it when I do my Church run I suppose.

Don't have the DLC purchased to see the rest though. I think I'm waiting on finding out what that story content they've got slated for April is before I decide on buying it or not, considering none of the rest of it sounds remotely worth the asking price to me.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

At The Black Tower in my Crimson Flower run.

Bernie is...not pulling her weight as an archer. Which is a shame because I think she's one of the more amusing characters. I'm already level 20ish by Chapter 5, the new Double Reward events that got released in the DLC are frankly power-leveling madness at the lowest difficulty. Hubert going Dark Knight is obviously not intended with his growth stats. Ferdie is also not really cutting it.

Everyone else has been great and having Ingrid already is a godsend.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Kinda timeskip spoilery if we're still spoilering those
    Show

In response to the gym clothes being rolled out...

Suddenly it looks like a FE adaptation of Barkley Hoopz SaGa

Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Apologies for the double post but this seems like a pretty big thing that might blow up soon.

Spoiler: Update
    Show

Bernadetta-Byleth B support was changed. Why???

Spoiler: Old
    Show

Spoiler: New
    Show

Morning Star

10. - Top - End - #430

God, that's such a clumsy edit on their part. I wonder what else they'll mangle for being too dark, assuming that's why this happened.

If it even did, of course. Can't check myself.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    God, that's such a clumsy edit on their part. I wonder what else they'll mangle for being too dark, assuming that's why this happened.

If it even did, of course. Can't check myself.
    It definitely was edited; I checked myself a couple of supports I know Bernie has that can kind of toe the line. They haven't altered her B support with Dorothea, where

Spoiler: B Support Bernie/Doro
    Show

She mentions her reluctance to make friends with anyone, especially commoners, is because her father beat her one commoner friend half to death and left him somewhere

Also, the audio is clumsily edited; you can still hear where the comma should be, and the splice doesn't work well at all.

This is kind of infuriating; it feels like the worst kind of censorship. According to some, it's because Australia's ratings committee complained about it and because there's no specific "regions" for the Switch anymore, they just blanket edited all ENG versions, but this is ridiculous!
    Morning Star

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    This is kind of infuriating; it feels like the worst kind of censorship. According to some, it's because Australia's ratings committee complained about it and because there's no specific "regions" for the Switch anymore, they just blanket edited all ENG versions, but this is ridiculous!
    That at least makes sense. Australia's ratings committee is pretty infamous for this sort of thing. Remember the whole kerfuffle over Fallout 3 where Australia banned it because *GASP* there were drugs in it? Slow motion zoomed in close-ups of a man's head exploding still deemed A-OK.

I hate this sort of censorship, and having it clumsily done is worse...but at least they didn't remove it entirely. That part of Bernadetta's backstory is still in the game, and the message that her father is a terrible, terrible person that needs feeding to a Direwolf is still loud and clear.

Still, that's a silver lining on a cloud full of pegasus dung. I was regretting having played the game so much that I need a break from it right as Maddening hits, but now I'm glad I managed to hit pretty much all the Supports before anything got changed.

Also glad that I use Japanese voices, since they're immune to this sort of BS (and already don't match the dialogue anyhow).
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-09-12 at 03:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

So, does anyone know how the DLC supplies work? I don't want to withdraw them if they're a one-shot thing only available on a single playthrough.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Apologies for the double post but this seems like a pretty big thing that might blow up soon.

Spoiler: Update
    Show

Bernadetta-Byleth B support was changed. Why???

Spoiler: Old
    Show

Spoiler: New
    Show

Huh. Well, that sucks. And is kind of baffling, honestly, the parts they removed don't seem all that much worse than what they left in anyway.

But yeah, nothing for it if they had to in order to appease Australia's ratings committee I guess, but sucks nonetheless.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

That at least makes sense. Australia's ratings committee is pretty infamous for this sort of thing. Remember the whole kerfuffle over Fallout 3 where Australia banned it because *GASP* there were drugs in it? Slow motion zoomed in close-ups of a man's head exploding still deemed A-OK.

I hate this sort of censorship, and having it clumsily done is worse...but at least they didn't remove it entirely. That part of Bernadetta's backstory is still in the game, and the message that her father is a terrible, terrible person that needs feeding to a Direwolf is still loud and clear.

Still, that's a silver lining on a cloud full of pegasus dung. I was regretting having played the game so much that I need a break from it right as Maddening hits, but now I'm glad I managed to hit pretty much all the Supports before anything got changed.

Also glad that I use Japanese voices, since they're immune to this sort of BS (and already don't match the dialogue anyhow).
    Yeah ditto, I don't know when they changed it but my B support with Bernie and Dorothea still had the "dark" dialog about beating the kid half to death. I also use the Japanese voices though so maybe they didn't change the text with it? No idea.

I am also starting to get a little burnout with the game right as the DLC are coming in. Luckily I have Link's Awakening, Little Town Hero, Astral Chain and Sw/Sh coming out to give me some other stuff to play. I'm trying to zoom through my Crimson Flower run before Link's Awakening comes out so I can at least start fresh for the final storypath and victory lap run on the harder difficulties.

I also hope they do some more story related DLC like they've apparently done for other Fire Emblems. An actual 100% true ending would be cool, tying all the storylines into one place. That's probably more than a DLC would ever cover but a person can dream. I just want more classes and things to do in the Monastery if I'm honest. Let me into the BATHHOUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So, does anyone know how the DLC supplies work? I don't want to withdraw them if they're a one-shot thing only available on a single playthrough.
    They carry over to new games. I just finished my Crimson Flower run and moved on to my Church run and they were available as soon as I could run around the Monastery.

With one more path to go...I really wish there was a little more variation in the Pre-War stage of the story. Also a little disappointed I didn't get to do the Battle of the Eagle, Lion and Deer on the Crimson Flower run. I get why for story reasons and I actually enjoyed most of the stages in the Crimson Flower but man do I not enjoy the characters.

I get why El is the way she is. She's gone through a ton of traumas and just wants to make her future her own. To right the wrongs she seems to think she needs to right. It's a shame she's totally brainwashed against Those who Slither. Not that Rhea isn't a horrifying monster who has caused more bloodshed and suffering through her actions just by merit of time, and not that Rhea probably should be put down...the Slitherers are worse. At least Rhea has the argument that the Slitherers started all of this. Her actions after are a bit of a thing, but they started with justification.

As much as I love the Golden Deer House, I think the Blue Lions have the best storyline. The Slitherers already feel like they're kinda tacked on. Like, we could have had a game that was just about political maneuvering without ancient underground humans with lasers and nukes. I liked killing Nemesis but it honestly just felt like a victory lap. Not dealing with the Slitherers in the Blue Lions and just ignoring the faff they make about them in the Crimson Flower make them fit together better. I hope the DLC story stuff focuses a bit more on the Slitherers.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-09-20 at 03:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Razade, could you put spoiler blocks around the second half of that post? That's kind of a lot of spoilers.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Razade, could you put spoiler blocks around the second half of that post? That's kind of a lot of spoilers.
    On that note is this thread basically full spoiler at this point? I just got started thanks to switch lite releasing and now having the means to play, but I don't mind just avoiding the thread for another week or two until I finish
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

18. - Top - End - #438

Everyone but Razade are still spoiling their posts, so no it's not full spoiler. It likely won't ever be, given the nature of the game.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    On that note is this thread basically full spoiler at this point? I just got started thanks to switch lite releasing and now having the means to play, but I don't mind just avoiding the thread for another week or two until I finish
    It's not supposed to be, no. With the way the game is I honestly don't know that I'd ever post unmarked spoilers for it intentionally. Even completing it once doesn't mean there aren't huge spoilers specific to the other routes that you have yet to learn - I've done two now and still avoid any spoilers marked as being for the other two. The game's story heavily depends on its measured pace of revealing secrets to you, so it honestly only feels right to me to avoid spoiling anyone who may be interested in it as much as possible.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see the point at this point, it's been out for months and you'd need to be on a virtual media blackout to avoid thenlats game spoilers. Not to mention the distance between the last post and my nonspoilered one and the number of spoilers given out already it just seems pointless. Not to mention we are on page 15. People should know what they're getting into.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-09-23 at 10:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I don't see the point at this point, it's been out for months and you'd need to be on a virtual media blackout to avoid thenlats game spoilers. Not to mention the distance between the last post and my nonspoilered one and the number of spoilers given out already it just seems pointless. Not to mention we are on page 15. People should know what they're getting into.
    The only open spoilers I've seen that come out of nowhere are from you. Like, every other place that has open spoilers makes a note of it.

I think it's best to stick to spoilering stuff, since not everyone has played it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-23 at 10:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

It would be easy to avoid spoilers if you simply avoided places where people were discussing the game - which I'd presume anyone who intended to play it but didn't pick it up immediately probably would do. The only unmarked spoilers given so far to my knowledge is yours, in that last post - I've been quite careful about that, as have others to my recollection. And how far we are into the thread doesn't matter in the least.

It's just a simple, very easy to do courtesy, and one that's especially important for a game like this one.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The only open spoilers I've seen that come out of nowhere are from you. Like, every other place that has open spoilers makes a note of it.

I think it's best to stick to spoilering stuff, since not everyone has played it.
    Rodin spoilered the entirety of the Crimson Flowers for me before I even finished my Blue Lion run, others spoilered minor stuff even before that but I don't really mind in the long run. I've spoiler-ed pretty much every other story relevant post other than my last one and noted what I was talking before I bothered to slap a spoiler tag on. I don't see a point this far out from its release and with its immense exposure on the internet.

People are more likely to go find their questions answered on Youtube, and there are videos with deep plot characters on thumbnails and entire vine collections with characters and plot points that spoil the whole story at this point.

In other, more relevant news. Famitsu released the DLC info for Wave Three and Four.

Spoiler: Just so people know not to click it unless they want to read about the DLC
    Show
    Wave Three will see Anna, the Merchant (and character from other FE games?) and Jeritza become recruitable. The Sauna as we expected will be coming and so will petting and playing with pets. Which is perfect. Also butler and maid outfit.

Wave Four will see more classes added (awesome), four or five more characters and an "Abyss Mode" story. There's no real other information other than that.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-09-24 at 05:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #444

So ignoring the discussion of spoiler policy, I'm in the middle of chapter 5, I got my Byleth enough secondary training to hit faith D and get the heal spell.

Now when in combat it still doesn't give me the option to use it. Is there some other prereq to unlock spellcasting? Or are certain spells restricted based on class (he is a myrmidon)? Is there something else I am missing?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Rodin spoilered the entirety of the Crimson Flowers for me before I even finished my Blue Lion run, others spoilered minor stuff even before that but I don't really mind in the long run. I've spoiler-ed pretty much every other story relevant post other than my last one and noted what I was talking before I bothered to slap a spoiler tag on. I don't see a point this far out from its release and with its immense exposure on the internet.
    In a spoiler box. Accidentally. Because I thought you had already completed that route. And I changed how I mark spoiler boxes from that point on to try and avoid spoiling anyone else. Accidentally spoiling stuff is going to happen with as many different routes as this game has (someone accidentally spoiled Blue Lions for me, for example), but it's common courtesy to spoiler things as much as possible to at least try and avoid spoiling people who want to discuss the game but haven't put in the 100+ hours it would take to beat the game 4 times to find out all the spoilered stuff.

So ignoring the discussion of spoiler policy, I'm in the middle of chapter 5, I got my Byleth enough secondary training to hit faith D and get the heal spell.

Now when in combat it still doesn't give me the option to use it. Is there some other prereq to unlock spellcasting? Or are certain spells restricted based on class (he is a myrmidon)? Is there something else I am missing?
    All spells are restricted to caster classes. That's the Mage, Dark Mage, and Priest lines initially, and then it spreads out a bit at master tier where you have hybrid classes like Dark Knights.

Byleth gets some additional options as you progress through the main story, so the training points you spent aren't necessarily wasted. For the early game I'd say you're best off focusing on making him a better Myrmidon and then see how you feel later.

26. - Top - End - #446

Flumph

Spellcasting as a whole is restricted by class. If the class description doesn't say they can use magic, they can't use any even if the character knows the spells.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Commoner and Noble, the two basest classes, also have "Can use a little magic" which means they use it, but have half the uses. No one else has a little magic, though.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

In a spoiler box. Accidentally.
    Absolutely, 100%. And you apologized. I wasn't calling you out, I was pointing out that LaZodiac was being...well I'm not sure what her point was, because it wasn't valid outside of the one non-spoilered post.

Anyway. I've fond that Byleth makes a good anything all around as you'd expect for a Main Character. His growths make him all around good in whatever you put him in though having taken him Archer and Caster routes...I've found he's way more fun as a frontline fighter. I'm taking him through to Wyvern Lord in my Church Route and I expect him to be 15 levels ahead of the rest of the team. Unlike the 5 or 6 levels ahead when I took him down the Sniper route and the 10ish levels he was ahead of the rest of the team my first Playthrough as a sword swinger and as a Dark Mage/Dark Knight.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

People are more likely to go find their questions answered on Youtube, and there are videos with deep plot characters on thumbnails and entire vine collections with characters and plot points that spoil the whole story at this point.
    That you don't mind doesn't mean others won't, and using spoilers elsewhere doesn't help not using them in that post. And the point at this time is the same as the point earlier - courtesy to others. Especially for a game where not knowing the story in advance will affect your experience as much as it will on this one. However much exposure you think this game has, it's far from ubiquitous. It's not like it's Final Fantasy 7 where if you've ever spent any small amount of time on a gaming section of the internet you've heard "Aerith dies" - the game's only a couple of months old and you'd need to be deliberately looking for places where people were discussing it to see spoilers.

And Youtube can only spoil you that way if you already regularly watch videos about similar topics - and just video games in general is not nearly broad enough, because I do that a lot (with fighting game and Hearthstone videos), but have not had Youtube trying to show me Fire Emblem videos. I'd be willing to wager you might get those recommended to you if you regularly watch RPG videos, but otherwise, not so much. Can't speak to "vine collections," don't know what that even is.

The point is, using spoiler blocks is easy and a simple courtesy to fellow posters, and very much so important enough in this game that it simply having been out for a couple of months seems a very insufficient excuse to not do so, to apparently everyone in the thread except you. Please do so.

In other, more relevant news. Famitsu released the DLC info for Wave Three and Four.

Spoiler: Just so people know not to click it unless they want to read about the DLC
    Show
    Wave Three will see Anna, the Merchant (and character from other FE games?) and Jeritza become recruitable. The Sauna as we expected will be coming and so will petting and playing with pets. Which is perfect. Also butler and maid outfit.

Wave Four will see more classes added (awesome), four or five more characters and an "Abyss Mode" story. There's no real other information other than that.
    Spoiler: DLC, and some late-game spoilers
    Show
    Anna is technically in every FE game in some way, I think. Not the same person, but a version of her anyway. Can't say I'm interested in recruiting her personally though, she's always seemed rather dull to me.

Jeritza is more interesting by far - I'm assuming he'd have to be exclusive to the Crimson Flower route. I'd be quite curious to see his supports and finally learn what's up with him. ...assuming they don't pull something like making DLC characters playable for gameplay but not giving them supports that is, in that case I wouldn't care. I've got plenty of characters I like that I can use for combat already, don't need someone new who's had less character development than the main cast just for that.

More classes could be nice, though it feels like we're in pretty good shape there, outside of the lack of an Advanced class for Pegasus Knights, and possibly a Master class for sword-users who aren't interested in picking up magic. Outside of that though I think I'd honestly rather they remove the gender restrictions on classes instead - it's silly that Lysithea can't be a Dark Mage despite all of her Reason spells being dark magic, or that Hilda can't be a War Master and is arbitrarily stuck at Warrior as her top-end class for her default route, to name just two obvious examples. Maybe keep Pegasus Knights being female-only as a major series tradition (though Fates broke that and it was fine), but otherwise, open 'em up I say.

As for the other characters and story, all depends on who/what they are.

As others mentioned, one of the few remaining restrictions on the class system is that only certain classes get to use magic. Generally, if the class doesn't require skill in a magic type to qualify for, it doesn't get to use magic at all. The only exceptions are a couple of unique classes you'll get at specific story points.

I'm kind of split on whether I like that, personally. On the one hand if every class could use magic the way they can all use any weapon type now you might lose a lot of individuality, and could wind up with the ability to have your entire army be healers in a pinch, which could get silly. On the other hand it would be nice to be able to have some physical/magical hyrbid characters (besides the couple of unique classes) before reaching those top-end classes, especially for characters that you want to end up in one of those hybrid top-end classes. Also, it really feels like it locks the characters who are good at magic but not physical combat into very narrow class options compared to everyone else, which is a bit disappointing. It's hard to see how you ever get someone like Lysithea to branch out into anything besides the Mage or Priest class lines.

By the way, out of curiosity, which house are you leading?
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-09-24 at 06:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler: DLC, and some late-game spoilers
    Show
    Anna is technically in every FE game in some way, I think. Not the same person, but a version of her anyway. Can't say I'm interested in recruiting her personally though, she's always seemed rather dull to me.

Jeritza is more interesting by far - I'm assuming he'd have to be exclusive to the Crimson Flower route. I'd be quite curious to see his supports and finally learn what's up with him. ...assuming they don't pull something like making DLC characters playable for gameplay but not giving them supports that is, in that case I wouldn't care. I've got plenty of characters I like that I can use for combat already, don't need someone new who's had less character development than the main cast just for that.

More classes could be nice, though it feels like we're in pretty good shape there, outside of the lack of an Advanced class for Pegasus Knights, and possibly a Master class for sword-users who aren't interested in picking up magic. Outside of that though I think I'd honestly rather they remove the gender restrictions on classes instead - it's silly that Lysithea can't be a Dark Mage despite all of her Reason spells being dark magic, or that Hilda can't be a War Master and is arbitrarily stuck at Warrior as her top-end class for her default route, to name just two obvious examples. Maybe keep Pegasus Knights being female-only as a major series tradition (though Fates broke that and it was fine), but otherwise, open 'em up I say.

As for the other characters and story, all depends on who/what they are.
    Spoiler: More DLC TALK
    Show
    Yeah, I did a wiki dive about Anna when she was the lady selling stuff but had no in-game model at first. I know she's got one in the late game but she's still just kinda...there. So it'll be interesting to recruit her.

Jeritza just seems like he should have been recruitable from the get go for the Crimson Flower route. Though the Famitsu article says "Routes depending" so...no idea what that means. Either a translation error or there might be more than one route you can get him. I don't really see how he'd be recruitable in any route with the Church. Manuela's "oh he apologized for nearly killing me" reasoning in the Crimson Flower route was already enough to make me roll my eyes. According to the Famitsu Article, both Anna and Jeritza have Supports if you bought the DLC. But not if you haven't and Anna will be recruitable if you don't have the DLC but Jeritza will not.

More classes would be nice if only to cover some stuff...and having a non-mounted Master Class for men that isn't War Master would be rather nice. It'd be nice to see a Magic/Melee hybrid that isn't a Master Class and isn't a sword user as well. At least one character has Axe and Reason, it'd be nice to see that actually work out. I'd be fine with them removing all the gender requirements as well. They seem arbitrary to me, though I'm fairly certain it's just legacy to the series. Which is still arbitrary.

As for the other four characters they discussed in Wave 4. The translation didn't really do a good job with the names and said nothing other than those names. So I didn't delve into it in my last post. They're mentioned along with Abyss Mode so I'm not sure if we're meant to take that as they're only usable in whatever Abyss Mode is or if they're going to be added to the existing Houses or what. I think it's pretty clear now that we're not getting a "Fourth" House like a lot of people are wanting. Though that'd be cool.

The Famitsu Article also seemed to imply to a lot of the people covering it that this DLC pack wouldn't be the only DLC for the game. Further "evidence" to this hypothesis is just how well the game has sold. I've never really known Nintendo to pump out more than one wave of DLC though Smash Ultimate is getting another DLC pack after their first and Breath of the Wild got two. So that signals to me that Nintendo has learned to actually invest in the games people like and have sold well. Time will tell, I'm certainly eager for more content as I'm nearing the end of the existing stuff.