New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Reach for my hand, I'll soar away.

Is it bad that my first answer to the question who to join was „Depends on the pay.”?

Also, some of the answers are hilarious.
    Obviously bad, but hilarious.
    So tempting...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    People who have played the series for a long while seem to indicate that this isn't a fair assessment of the game. Having never played and only knowing the memes from the game, I don't even get the feel that it's Doki Doki Panic or anything like that, but with fighting. All the bonds seem to be like any other RPG where you need to spend time with your teammates. Is Mass Effect a dating sim? You literally take some characters out on dates.
    Previous Fire Emblems didn't have this kind of mechanic at all. Support was built by units spending time near each other during battles. There was no "wander around town and attempt to romance busty underage anime girls" mechanic at all. It's a pretty big departure. It's honestly pretty freaking creepy and I'm surprised it isn't getting a lot more criticism.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Previous Fire Emblems didn't have this kind of mechanic at all. Support was built by units spending time near each other during battles. There was no "wander around town and attempt to romance busty underage anime girls" mechanic at all. It's a pretty big departure. It's honestly pretty freaking creepy and I'm surprised it isn't getting a lot more criticism.
    Good thing that's not what's actually happening then.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course previous games had at least similar mechanics.
    Awakening had the barracks and Fates the castle/Corrin's treehouse.
    So increasing Support out of combat isn't new.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it isn't getting the criticism you think it should be getting because it's not how you're describing it? I really don't know, I haven't heard anyone make this complaint until today and with how hypersensitive the internet is you'd think it would be on blast by now if it was an accurate issue. I guess I'll know in like...12 hours...but everyone else in the thread saying you're incorrect makes me think that...you're not describing things the way they really are.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: early game
    Show
    Barely reached the Monastery and already there's a Naga, Why? character.
    At least Camilla was around Corrin's age...
    But compared to Manuela she's harmless...

I mean Byleth's outfit is kinda inappropriate for a battlefield.
    Manuela is just inappropriate.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

UI question:

Ok, so at some point I found a screen where I could check in advance what abilities advanced classes came with. Like "+5 damage with swords," or "2x black magic uses." I have been unable to locate that screen again.

I've found a screen just listing what classes a character can turn into (review unit information, ZR over to Classes(1) and (2)). And I've found a screen where you can check exam requirements (Goals, then ZR and A), but I can't refind the screen I found before.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

And it's not a Dating Simulator, it's a Guidance Councilor simulator.

"Ok, Hilda, I get that you don't like combat and would rather just cheer people on, but my notes here show you have a strong aptitude for Heavy Armor and Axes, so I highly suggest training those up, you look like you'll make a great Heavy Knight. If it helps, I'll look for some pom poms to strap to the armor or something. Oh, and that's not "delegating," that's taking advantage of people. Why don't you pull weeds in the garden, it might teach you a thing or two. Oh, and tell Lorentz I want to see him, I'm not sure he has ANY reasonable career goals at the moment."

Frikkin high schoolers...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

furious Re: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Reach for my hand, I'll soar away.

It still confuses me to hear American voice actors pronounce Leicester properly.

It is not normal.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Maybe it isn't getting the criticism you think it should be getting because it's not how you're describing it? I really don't know, I haven't heard anyone make this complaint until today and with how hypersensitive the internet is you'd think it would be on blast by now if it was an accurate issue. I guess I'll know in like...12 hours...but everyone else in the thread saying you're incorrect makes me think that...you're not describing things the way they really are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Good thing that's not what's actually happening then.
    Well, I'll admit that my experience with the game is entirely from watching gameplay streams on Twitch. During the time I watched (a few hours) the streamers spent the entire time running around to romance their various child waifu and wouldn't shut up about cute they were and eventually getting into their pants while the chat made lewd comments about it.

I suppose it's possible that I just happened to click on the three creepiest streamers in existence, and it soured me on the game, but it seems statistically unlikely. They were the most popular ones. Granted that Twitch is a cesspool, and I doubt that the majority of Playgrounders are anything like the weirdos I saw on there, but it's not like the mechanics aren't there for the creepers in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post

"Ok, Hilda, I get that you don't like combat and would rather just cheer people on, but my notes here show you have a strong aptitude for Heavy Armor and Axes, so I highly suggest training those up, you look like you'll make a great Heavy Knight. If it helps, I'll look for some pom poms to strap to the armor or something. Oh, and that's not "delegating," that's taking advantage of people. Why don't you pull weeds in the garden, it might teach you a thing or two. Oh, and tell Lorentz I want to see him, I'm not sure he has ANY reasonable career goals at the moment."

That does sound more reasonable than the dating sim stuff...not that I want to do it either. The dating sim stuff is definitely still there though. I've seen it with my own eyes so claiming it isn't is a non-starter.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2019-07-26 at 05:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post

Hilda amuses me so much, because she keeps going on about what a frail and helpless girl she is. She STARTS OUT with a battle axe, and could easily bench press Raphael one-handed while trying to wile some poor sucker into doing it for her.

I had the opposite experience with Ignatz, who in theory is an archer. In theory. After he whiffed his first FOUR Strength ups I told him to put down the bow and pick up a book. He keeps asking me for his bow back and I keep pressing his nose back into the spellbook like a naughty puppy.

Also, I think Leonie is secretly a golem. Without me pushing her defense stat in any way she's managed to wind up with at least 6-8 more defense than anyone else on my squad, including people 5 levels higher than her who have already reclassed into Intermediate.

-----

Overall, I'm enjoying this a heck of a lot more than Fates. Fates suffered from being too similar to Awakening while tossing in a lot of random crap and throwing the story out the window. The other problem was that the Supports were a bit same-y as well, and with the sheer number of characters I got bored of them. It also shared the problem of previous Fire Emblem games where once a character was recruited they ceased to matter to the story.

This time, they've obviously focused on the story and characters FIRST. At the end of a chapter, the entire House gathers around and they all discuss what happened. Instead of "Chrom, Robin, and Lucina do every-damn-thing" you get the feeling that everybody is getting involved. The Support conversations aren't at some invisible "camp" that never materializes in-game - they're in the academy and they're doing stuff you can actually do. Some the conversations have taken place while people are gardening, or having tea, or training, or in the library...etc. etc. It's all so much more REAL.

And while I was pretty concerned about the number of characters (after all, you're playing with about a third of the usual roster), I've been greatly enjoying the smaller numbers thus far. I'm getting to know a few units much better than the one-note characters of earlier games, and there's two entire houses I haven't touched yet.

I'm currently chapter 5-ish and...

Spoiler
    Show
    So, am I the only one that doesn't trust Rhea as far as I can throw her? The whole setup screams "religious nutter that is going to purge anyone that stands in her way", and seeing how blithe everyone else is about it is starting to grate. Seteth seems like he might be okay, but I'm deeply suspicious of the rest of the church power structure. No spoilers though please if you're further along and it's been revealed. I'd still like my "AHA!" moment.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'm currently chapter 5-ish and...

Spoiler
    Show
    So, am I the only one that doesn't trust Rhea as far as I can throw her? The whole setup screams "religious nutter that is going to purge anyone that stands in her way", and seeing how blithe everyone else is about it is starting to grate. Seteth seems like he might be okay, but I'm deeply suspicious of the rest of the church power structure. No spoilers though please if you're further along and it's been revealed. I'd still like my "AHA!" moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just reached the monastery and I don't trust her. So nope, you aren't the only one.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I finished work at 1:50 pm yesterday picked this up and haven't stopped playing other than an 8 hour sleep stop...Selected Blue Lions and female blyeth (got the dlc pass so got rid of those disgusting leggings).

To those thinking that Manuela is like Camilla. She really, really isn't. She's an extremely flawed character, but where Camilla is flawed in a one track manner, Manuela feels organic and has layers to her. Give her a chance.

The above can be said of just about everyone encountered so far. Of my students Annette and Ashe have made the biggest impressions on me. Ashe in particular is a naive child and I desperately want to shield him from the horrors of war...

Spoiler
    Show
    I did have him kill his dad though...As I was hoping that there would be some sort of hidden ending on that chapter...I am a terrible person

The world building is great and yes the church is [/spoiler] evil [/spoiler].
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2019-07-26 at 06:36 PM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: THE FIRST CUTSCENE
    Show
    Literally. The first thing you see of her is her going all knife nut on the guy with the chain-sword. Does not feel like a character who is sound of mind.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skimmed through the thread, I'm completely new to the franchise but have a friend who is a long time fan. Will be picking up a copy on Tuesday. From the general feel of the thread it sounds like this is as good an entry as any to get into Fire Emblem with.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Played for a few hours today, since I had work, so I'm not too far in - particularly since there's a lot more to do in the academy than I expected, geez. I mean, it's quite welcome to have something like that in between battles that does a little more than the castle in Fates, but there's just so much more to it than I thought there'd be, so it's slowing me down at the start here. I've only finished the "mock battle" mission so far, haven't yet left on the bandit one.

Quite liking what I'm seeing so far though. There's more mechanical changes than I thought there'd be, but they're all interesting. I knew weapon durability was coming back, but I didn't know about the new combat manuevers that consume extra durability - I quite like that idea on principle, although admittedly the starting ones just being basically "hit harder" is a bit dull, but presumably/hopefully they get more interesting as you go on, in which case I'd say that does a fair bit to justify bringing back weapon durability. Plus I like how they said that you can still fight with a broken weapon, it'll juts be a lot less effective, so even if you get caught in a worst-case scenario of someone's weapon breaking and having no replacement, they're not useless.

I'm also interested in how the new system of weapon skills and classes will turn out. Being able to learn different weapons and magic regardless of class, and having every class (or most? I didn't see Hero on my Byleth's list for some reason) available to everyone could lead to very interesting stuff, particularly with how you can set the students to learn weapon skills from schooling rather than just battle use. I already find myself trying to consider which classes I want to steer my students towards and whether or not to keep their default weapon focuses as a result. Plus apparently what you yourself learn determines which students from other houses you can recruit, so that gives an incentive to have Byleth do something besides just the straightforward sword-lord path now, too.

I am a touch unhappy with the sharp limit on the number of uses spells seem to have from the little I've used of them so far, but I'm presuming that goes up over time. I do like the idea of them no longer being tied to tomes that "break" the same way as weapons and instead having them be something the characters learn and then just know, though.

I should say though, the opening was awkwardly written at one particular point - namely, when you're told you're becoming a teacher. Rhea talked to your father about their history for a bit, then suddenly just after she walks away he's telling you about how she wants to appoint you as an instructor? How on earth did he know that? She certainly didn't say anything of the sort. And there doesn't seem to be any real reason for it given, besides the academy needing a new instructor in general. I thought it was supposed to be that your skill and strange abilities in the first fight impressed her, but neither she nor your father said anything of the sort. He just kind of went "oh btw, they're making you a teacher here now." Which makes even less sense when you realize that, given the year numbers that have been thrown around by him and Rhea in their talks about their shared history, you can't possibly be more than 20 years old, and are more likely 18-19. So, the same age as many of the students, and probably not that experienced as a mercenary. So, yeah, weird, and they sure are skipping over it like it needs no justification.

Speaking of ages, I don't know where Serenes Forest got 28 as Rhea's age, but that clearly can't be true, given she's talking about knowing your father 20+ years ago as if they were both adults at the time.

Oh, and on a minor note, I am finding it weird that Byleth suddenly gets to be a silent protagonist, after Robin and Corrin both had normal dialogue and even voice acting. That is one change that I do think is for the worse. Really hope they at least have support conversations between them and the other characters written out in full, even if they're not voiced - those seem like they would be quite awkward and probably a lot less interesting than they should be if they're mostly the other character monologueing while you occasionally pick one of 2-3 dialogue options.

Support still works that way, you just also get to talk to people outside of battles. Which, as Kantaki pointed out, isn't new, you can trace that back to at least Radiant Dawn, with the various camp conversations that were separate from the support system, and if you want an example that earned you points towards your supports there is Corrin's house in Fates - though granted that one is kind of uncomfortable itself, even without the weird mini-game from the Japanese version.

Fundamentally, what you're seeing is the natural result of the game's premise: you are a teacher at a military academy. Of course you're going to spend time with your students, it's literally your job, and since you're fighting alongside them of course you're going to develop friendships with them. Pretty much like in any other RPG these days. Maybe you don't like that premise, that's fine if so, but personally I think it's an interesting new idea for the series that seems fairly fitting.

Well, I'll admit that my experience with the game is entirely from watching gameplay streams on Twitch. During the time I watched (a few hours) the streamers spent the entire time running around to romance their various child waifu and wouldn't shut up about cute they were and eventually getting into their pants while the chat made lewd comments about it.

I suppose it's possible that I just happened to click on the three creepiest streamers in existence, and it soured me on the game, but it seems statistically unlikely. They were the most popular ones. Granted that Twitch is a cesspool, and I doubt that the majority of Playgrounders are anything like the weirdos I saw on there, but it's not like the mechanics aren't there for the creepers in the first place.
    Sounds like that's what happened, yeah, because that's certainly creepy behavior. I'd suggest just not watching people like that and judging the game on its own merits, not what the creepiest people playing it are like. There's plenty of games out there that I'm sure I'd enjoy a great deal less if I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Spoiler: early game
    Show
    Barely reached the Monastery and already there's a Naga, Why? character.
    At least Camilla was around Corrin's age...
    But compared to Manuela she's harmless...

I mean Byleth's outfit is kinda inappropriate for a battlefield.
    Manuela is just inappropriate.
    Yeah, not a fan of her at first glance, for sure. I could maybe excuse the outfit if her personality was more normal, but the moment she said she was "available" in her introduction to you... yeah.

Overall, I'm enjoying this a heck of a lot more than Fates. Fates suffered from being too similar to Awakening while tossing in a lot of random crap and throwing the story out the window. The other problem was that the Supports were a bit same-y as well, and with the sheer number of characters I got bored of them. It also shared the problem of previous Fire Emblem games where once a character was recruited they ceased to matter to the story.

This time, they've obviously focused on the story and characters FIRST. At the end of a chapter, the entire House gathers around and they all discuss what happened. Instead of "Chrom, Robin, and Lucina do every-damn-thing" you get the feeling that everybody is getting involved. The Support conversations aren't at some invisible "camp" that never materializes in-game - they're in the academy and they're doing stuff you can actually do. Some the conversations have taken place while people are gardening, or having tea, or training, or in the library...etc. etc. It's all so much more REAL.

And while I was pretty concerned about the number of characters (after all, you're playing with about a third of the usual roster), I've been greatly enjoying the smaller numbers thus far. I'm getting to know a few units much better than the one-note characters of earlier games, and there's two entire houses I haven't touched yet.
    Haven't seen nearly as much as you yet, but I generally agree with those sentiments based on what I've seen so far. Definitely liking the game, and expecting it to be better than Fates.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-07-27 at 01:33 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

It appears Hero is Male Only in this game. Which is bollocks.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Spoiler: THE FIRST CUTSCENE
    Show
    Literally. The first thing you see of her is her going all knife nut on the guy with the chain-sword. Does not feel like a character who is sound of mind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's not Rhea. That's Seiros stabbing the hell out of Nemesis, way back at the founding of the church. You can read descriptions of the battle in the library.

19. - Top - End - #49

Flumph

The player character can be male or female.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, having just got to the first section I can move around you are more or less immediately given a choice between male and female hero when you're given control of the game. I have no idea where you're getting this from, other than just seeing other people play who have all picked the Male Hero.

21. - Top - End - #51

Yeah, having just got to the first section I can move around you are more or less immediately given a choice between male and female hero when you're given control of the game. I have no idea where you're getting this from, other than just seeing other people play who have all picked the Male Hero.
    I believe they're referring to the Hero class, not hero as in a title for the NPC. At least based on Zevox noting they couldn't find Hero in the list of classes available to their Byleth.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2019-07-27 at 08:09 AM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    The player character can be male or female.
    And the player character cannot be a Hero if they're female.

Going off the Wiki:

Spoiler: Classes
    Show

The gender equality is definitely one step forward, two steps back. We've got female enemy units (other than Pegasus Knights), which I don't recall being the case in Fates (or any previous game to my knowledge). On the other hand, the way Fates split classes based on gender has been removed and now those classes are just locked out. If you look at Awakening vs. Fates, the Fighter class line is now open to females but Hero and Dark Mage have randomly been designated male-only again. Girls also can't be Brawlers for some reason. The Dancer class is no longer Female exclusive.

For the girl only classes, they've lost out on the variations of Pegasus Knight - there's only Pegasus Knight, and then the class disappears entirely for the next tier and reappears at Master Level as Falcon Knight...but no longer has the ability to use white magic like Falcon Knights of the past. What your Pegasus Knights are supposed to do between level 20 and 30 is a mystery. Dark Fliers are gone entirely. There's also some sort of female-exclusive caster class.

Previously, the Warrior/Berserker line was the only one that it made sense to restrict. They didn't want to have do separate artwork for the girls since the guys were running around barechested. However, in Three Houses this argument no longer makes sense. ALL of the artwork is unique. Lysithea as a Mage looks totally different from Marianne as a Mage - different clothes, different color scheme, the works. So the decision to re-restrict a bunch of classes just comes off as patriarchal nonsense. I still find it BIZARRE that this is the case in a series with Effie and Kjelle running around.

Just open up the damn class system already. If you really want to keep Pegasus Knights girl-only, I'm okay with that because tradition. But every other locked class in Three Houses has previously had women in that class (well, except Berserker I think).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

Presumably Pegasus Knights can trade in their horse for a wyvern, but yeah the way this handles classes is unique, interesting, and ****ty all at once.

I'm looking at some characters and it's like "man there's just nothing for you to do, huh?" I realize that because of the house choice I'm probably only going to get access to te Black Eagle characters, but it still becomes a situation where it's like, man I sure wish I could make such and such person a hero, since they're so good at the stuff Hero's are good at, but they're a lady.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I believe they're referring to the Hero class, not hero as in a title for the NPC. At least based on Zevox noting they couldn't find Hero in the list of classes available to their Byleth.
    Correct, Hero in this case refers to the class, the one that in previous games was the promoted form of the Mercenary base class, not the player character as the "hero" of the game.

I was unaware that they were re-introducing some gender-based class restrictions after removing them in Fates. Seems like a weird decision, and weirder still to restrict Hero specifically, which hasn't been like that before. Not a huge deal I guess, but odd.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Correct, Hero in this case refers to the class, the one that in previous games was the promoted form of the Mercenary base class, not the player character as the "hero" of the game.

I was unaware that they were re-introducing some gender-based class restrictions after removing them in Fates. Seems like a weird decision, and weirder still to restrict Hero specifically, which hasn't been like that before. Not a huge deal I guess, but odd.
    The only possible reason for it I can even remotely imagine is someone looked at the complaints about how many children are Mercenaries and thus naturaly become Hero's and went "okay fine no heroes for anybody". Cause I remember a lot of complaints about Single Large Shoulder Pad Brigade.

Truth be told though, if this is the only negative I have on the game that's fantastic. I'll endure.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-27 at 09:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Male only:
    Beginner: None
    Intermediate: Brawler (new class, unarmed/gauntlet fighter)
    Advanced: Hero, Grappler (advanced Brawler)
    ???: Unknown, I haven't unlocked yet.

Female only:
    Beginner: None
    Intermediate: Pegasus Knight
    Advanced: None
    ???: Unknown

27. - Top - End - #57

Warlock is also male only. I believe it's got a younger version of it as well, I just forget the name at the moment.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-27 at 12:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Warlock is also male only. I believe it's got a younger version of it as well, I just forget the name at the moment.
    Is it? I'm pretty sure I saw that F!Byleth can be a warlock...

I mean, I'm doubting my memory now, but I thought I saw it.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Dark Mage.

Brawler is also only kind of a new class. Fighters used to progress up into Hero (Axe + Sword) or Warrior (Axe + Bow), and Brigands progressed up to either Warrior or Berserker (Axe only).

With Three Houses, Fighters have been moved down a rung so that they promote into Brigand, and the Warrior class fills the slot that Berserker used to. Brawler replaces the missing class.

Now, here's where it gets stupid. Women can be fighters. They can also be Brigands. And they can focus on Brawl in both those roles (although at least in my house none of the girls had a natural interest).

However, when you get to the advanced classes? They're @#$@ outta luck. There is no way for a woman to advance in Brawl. They can't even skip over the Advanced classes like Pegasus Knights do! The only class that focuses on Brawl at Master level is Male Only.

----

Now, the thing that's starting to get me about the class system is that it makes some really weird choices throughout. For instance, Lorenz's natural talent points him at being a Dark Knight. This means he should be learning black magic, lances, and horse riding throughout his career. However, there is no clear cut path for him to do this. Do you make him a Monk so that he gets caster stats? Or do you make it impossible for him to use magic by making him a Soldier? How do you get him his riding experience? There is no riding caster UNTIL he hits Master class at level 30. I've got him as a Cavalier right now and praying that he can make up the magic deficit later. I might have to make his Advanced class a pure magic user just to try and give him decent Magic progression.

And there's a bunch of that everywhere. I keep finding myself staring at the class screen trying to work how how the heck I'm gonna pass the certification exams for characters that have a natural interest in 2 out of the 3 skills required.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

You can hit a lot of prereqs by switching up goals. The weekly skill gains from goals is a LOT, probably more than the one-on-one teaching. And eventually you can get extral teaching bonuses from renown through the saint statue restoration, so do not neglect quests!

And classes do not restrict weapons! They only give extra skill xp, I think.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-07-27 at 04:38 PM.