New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Reach for my hand, I'll soar away.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I was willing to bet that all A rank supports were time locked to after the timeskip. You mean to say some are not?
    Don't know. The few A rank supports that I have available are all blocked, but it's not many, so I can't exactly claim to know if some aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I don't think A ranks between students are locked at all.
    At least some are. I currently have Ferdinand/Bernadetta, Lindhart/Caspar, and Dorothea/Petra all ready but time-locked. ...and actually, apparently even some lower supports between students are time-locked, as I'm just now seeing that I have Edelgard/Ferdinand B rank and Hubert/Shamir C rank on deck, but locked as well. (Okay, Shamir's faculty, not a student, but still.) I'm on chapter 9/Ethereal Moon.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    At least some are. I currently have Ferdinand/Bernadetta, Lindhart/Caspar, and Dorothea/Petra all ready but time-locked. ...and actually, apparently even some lower supports between students are time-locked, as I'm just now seeing that I have Edelgard/Ferdinand B rank and Hubert/Shamir C rank on deck, but locked as well. (Okay, Shamir's faculty, not a student, but still.) I'm on chapter 9/Ethereal Moon.
    Yeah, I just progressed a bit further with my A-ranks, and I noticed some people talking about post-timeskip stuff. My bad.

A question for myself - I thought I saw a post somewhere that Snipers can get range 6? If I didn't hallucinate that, how does that work, exactly? My Shamir has mastered Sniper and still only has range 3 + 1 extra from Combat Arts. Meanwhile, my Leonie never picked up a Bow until she got the Bow Knight class, and is running around at high speed with range 4 +1 extra from Combat Arts.

I'm just curious as to how a Sniper from a lower tiered class is superior?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I just progressed a bit further with my A-ranks, and I noticed some people talking about post-timeskip stuff. My bad.

A question for myself - I thought I saw a post somewhere that Snipers can get range 6? If I didn't hallucinate that, how does that work, exactly? My Shamir has mastered Sniper and still only has range 3 + 1 extra from Combat Arts. Meanwhile, my Leonie never picked up a Bow until she got the Bow Knight class, and is running around at high speed with range 4 +1 extra from Combat Arts.

I'm just curious as to how a Sniper from a lower tiered class is superior?
    Sniper is below Bow Knight, so you've got it backwards there I think.

Anyway I believe the idea is that if you master Archer, Sniper, and then go to Bow Knight you'll get a bunch of stacking +1 to Bow Range abilities that make you get up to 6 before even factoring in combat arts. Also some arts for bows extend even further. There comes a point, I believe, where your bow users just become ballista in function if not form.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Sniper is below Bow Knight, so you've got it backwards there I think.

Anyway I believe the idea is that if you master Archer, Sniper, and then go to Bow Knight you'll get a bunch of stacking +1 to Bow Range abilities that make you get up to 6 before even factoring in combat arts. Also some arts for bows extend even further. There comes a point, I believe, where your bow users just become ballista in function if not form.
    ...But it doesn't work that way? You cannot get the +1 range class ability from Class unlocks. This is why it took so long for me to question it - I was unlocking the class ability for Sniper, which is the Hunter's Volley Combat Art. You don't get +1 range in your arsenal to equip once you reclass, it's inherent to the Archer/Sniper/Bow Knight class.

5. - Top - End - #155

...But it doesn't work that way? You cannot get the +1 range class ability from Class unlocks. This is why it took so long for me to question it - I was unlocking the class ability for Sniper, which is the Hunter's Volley Combat Art. You don't get +1 range in your arsenal to equip once you reclass, it's inherent to the Archer/Sniper/Bow Knight class.
    Cool, didn't know that! I'm still only on I think Chapter 7.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the archer tree, only sniper gets hunters volley. You CANNOT transfer the skill to another class. This skill is extremely good as it let you attack twice with effectively no retaliation from absurd distances. This is why Sniper is objectively better than bow knight. Yes canto is nice but sniper makes up for it with increased bow range.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Regarding the archer tree, only sniper gets hunters volley. You CANNOT transfer the skill to another class. This skill is extremely good as it let you attack twice with effectively no retaliation from absurd distances. This is why Sniper is objectively better than bow knight. Yes canto is nice but sniper makes up for it with increased bow range.
    But...they don't have greater range. I just checked again. A Bow Knight has default range 4 on all Bow Attacks, allowing them to double attack any unit they are faster than from range 4 and then Canto out of the way. If a double attack isn't needed (or if REALLY long range is required), a Bow Knight can attack from range 5 with Curved Shot. A Sniper meanwhile has default range 3 on all bow attacks, but has an (admittedly powerful) ability that allows them to double attack at range 4.

For my money, the additional movement (8 movement vs 5) alone is sufficient to make Bow Knight worthwhile. The additional range on top is just gravy. And then there's Canto, to allow moving in front of your tank and then retreating back behind them with that handy dandy 3 extra squares of movement. With most of my army being mounted, it's already difficult to keep the foot soldiers up with the rest. I don't need my archers being that slow as well.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

But...they don't have greater range. I just checked again. A Bow Knight has default range 4 on all Bow Attacks, allowing them to double attack any unit they are faster than from range 4 and then Canto out of the way. If a double attack isn't needed (or if REALLY long range is required), a Bow Knight can attack from range 5 with Curved Shot. A Sniper meanwhile has default range 3 on all bow attacks, but has an (admittedly powerful) ability that allows them to double attack at range 4.

For my money, the additional movement (8 movement vs 5) alone is sufficient to make Bow Knight worthwhile. The additional range on top is just gravy. And then there's Canto, to allow moving in front of your tank and then retreating back behind them with that handy dandy 3 extra squares of movement. With most of my army being mounted, it's already difficult to keep the foot soldiers up with the rest. I don't need my archers being that slow as well.
    That's fair. But curved shot does not ensure that your target will die. Hunter's volley ensures two attacks at increased power, accuracy and crit with no counter attack. On hard mode this guarantees that whatever mage/squishy I want to kill-dies- no buts no ifs no rng. This then allows me to bait the rest of the physical physical mobs with a high defence unit.

I definitely see the value of Canto, My Sylvain and Ingrid are great as dark knights and falcon knights respectively, but they just don't have the guaranteed lethality and safety that Sniper!Ashe does.

Edit: So what I am saying is that sniper's and bow knights have different roles. The former is an assassin, the later someone who will generally whittle down enemies for your wall to kill.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2019-08-01 at 07:09 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quick question, for chapter 11 (Pegasus Moon), Black Eagles path:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is going with Edelgard to the Imperial Capital going to skip me to the end of the month? She says it'll take a few days, but we'll be back in time for the ceremony at the Holy Tomb, which makes me think it might be best to wait for the last weekend before that ceremony to do it, but it's not being as crystal-clear about that taking all month as it was the first time I ran across such a time skip.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quick question, for chapter 11 (Pegasus Moon), Black Eagles path:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is going with Edelgard to the Imperial Capital going to skip me to the end of the month? She says it'll take a few days, but we'll be back in time for the ceremony at the Holy Tomb, which makes me think it might be best to wait for the last weekend before that ceremony to do it, but it's not being as crystal-clear about that taking all month as it was the first time I ran across such a time skip.
    Spoiler: Quick Answer
    Show
    It will not skip to the end of the month, but it WILL skip to the end of the day. Finish up your other stuff first.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Quick Answer
    Show
    It will not skip to the end of the month, but it WILL skip to the end of the day. Finish up your other stuff first.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good to know, though I'd already decided to wait until that last weekend to do it by the time you posted. Didn't hurt anything though, so all's well, and now I know for next time.

Not at the time skip yet, but just hit a big moment going into Chapter 12.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, geez, that's a roller coaster right there. Edelgard was the Flame Emperor? That... makes some sense, actually, with the Flame Emperor's claim that he (or she, I guess) wasn't happy with everything Solon was up to and would have stopped some of it had she known about it, plus various remarks Edelgard made along the way. Also explains why what's-her-name, the redhead "missing student" who turned out to be Solon's #2, was talking to Edelgard so much. But then it begs the question of what Edelgard thought she was doing working with them at all, and what she knew about their trap where Jeralt, or the other trap that was set for Byleth, and so far at least, the game hasn't brought that up, so I'm a bit concerned that it won't be explained.

Also, Edelgard, I stood by you as you were crowned Emperor, and have told you that I want to support you for months now. Could you maybe have explained your plans to me a bit in advance so that we wouldn't end up in a fight when you suddenly look like you're turning on me? Could've helped, maybe you would've actually gotten some of those Crest Stones you wanted if I'd had any clue what you were doing. Actually, I still need an explanation about just what those are, come to think of it.

...though, yeah, actually, even all of that makes sense when you think about it. She's turning on the same church you've spent the past year helping protect - even if at least partially because you've never been given much of an opportunity or reason not to - so she can't assume you'll choose to side with her, no matter what's gone on until that point. And if she does tell you in advance and you're not onboard, you could ruin things for her, or force her to fight you early and create a messy situation that way even if she wins. Dang, not often you can say that for these kind of plot twists. Well done, writers, well done. Still want to know those details about her association with Solon, though, not to mention to get a better idea of just who and what he was and what he was up to.

Also, I'm surprised I didn't lose more people when I chose to side against the Church. Looks like only Flayn bailed. Shamir, Hanneman, Manuela, and Alois all stuck around, as did all of the few transfer students I had. I guess the students aren't so much of a surprise, but the professors and knights are - though admittedly I guess Shamir makes sense, given that despite being a knight, she openly said she didn't believe in the church.

Also, minor point of amusement, but it's funny to me that Edelgard got so much weaker as a boss for chapter 11 than she is in my army. Damn girl, where did all your stats go? Is that Flame Emperor armor just that much worse than your Fortress Knight armor? (I'm playing on normal, which seems to have been balanced around the assumption that you're not doing side-quests, so I've been like 5-7 levels above the curve for story missions for a little while now... got a few levels ahead just doing a handful of optional battles early on, then paralogues and side-quests pushed that further in later months. Kind of wish I could bump the difficulty up to hard.)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Edit: So what I am saying is that sniper's and bow knights have different roles. The former is an assassin, the later someone who will generally whittle down enemies for your wall to kill.
    That's totally fair. I don't have room for another person with that role in my army, as I found it extremely difficult to keep Shamir up with the rest of the group. My assassin role is Lysithea, who makes both Snipers and Bow Riders look like chumps. I keep her up with the rest of my army with strategic use of Dance and Rescue, and her range 4 Hades deletes whatever enemy is most threatening. I can definitely see changing someone to a Sniper for a mission in which you are defending a position rather than routing the enemy.

Speaking of, I just LOVE how magic is different for every character. I find Ignatz often has to rely on his bow and sword as a backup weapons since he didn't get the super high-end spells that Lysithea got, while Lysithea is a TERRIBLE healer despite having A in Faith because she never gets a heal beyond the basic one. Meanwhile Flayn has basically zero offense in Faith because her entire spell list (other than Nosferatu) is focused on healing and support. It really differentiates the mage characters from each other.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

So, no idea how close I am to the Time Skip. Picked Golden Deer because they seemed the most interesting on first blush...seems I'm one of the few who did. Black Eagle seems the fan favorite. I'm closing in on the end of Chapter 7, the War of the Lion and Eagle or whatever. I've recruited what are probably the easier to recruit people. Cyril, Cassandra, Shamir. Not particularly going after anyone else in the other Houses because...I don't really feel an urgent need to? I like the team I have and even being a few levels higher than what I'm fighting....Normal is really easy? I've always heard that Fire Emblem games are really hard and frustrating and I'm really not getting that so far. The AI seems fairly simple to game.

Sticking in one big long murder block and peppering enemies from afar before they rush in and go for my front line seems to be pretty much the key to success for the game. I'm not sure how early in I am, but if it holds I won't lie and say I'm not a little disappointed by the oft-lauded "Nintendo Hard" tactics game I was hoping for. I'm also not a huge fan of the randomized stats thing. A few bad RNGs has left me a Leonie with a crap Move stat which until I changed her to a mounted class left her fairly under-leveled. Lorenz is my other mounted Lance user and both of their hit and run styles are pretty cool. Rapheal is my heavy armor with axe character who...so far has tanked anything thrown at him short of magic. I usually keep my Warlock Lysithea and soon to be Sniper Ignatz close to shore that all up. Likewise, Claude (who...probably won't be going Sniper since Shamir is one and I don't see the need for three?) sticking close to my main Swordmaster MC and Hilda on the front lines just sorta shreds things to pieces.

Some...maybe spoilers on the story. Mostly speculation since I'm not far in. I do know some stuff just from people at work talking about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    So knowing that the leader of the Black Eagles is the Flame Emperor more or less makes me want to do them next, where as I was going to do them last. I hear there are four endings? Maybe five? I doubt I'll be playing the game five times all the way through unless the NG+ mode...if there is one(?) makes things smoother. I certainly intend to hit the Three Houses if they as I expected are three of the potentially five endings. It's only shocking that Edlegard is the Flame Emperor because I figured one of the other two were going to be them and it'd depend on which other House you picked. It being hardlocked on her is pretty interesting. The obvious jump was Jeritza...who is maybe the Death Knight? It's too obvious that the masked dude is the other masked dude but he disappears around the time the Death Knight shows up and everyone else seems to implicitly believe he's the culprit. No one seems to counter this point later either but maybe it comes up if/when you fight the Death Knight again.

I find it really hard to be too sympathetic to the Church so if there's a chance I get to turn my back on them...I see that coming and I'll probably take it. Executing rival church members is a pretty bad look Rhae. Speaking of, she's without a doubt connected to the lady in the opening cutscene. If not the lady from the cutscene. Not a lot of people with that color of hair wandering around. Only her, Sothis who is obviously connected to her, her adviser and her advisor's daughter. Because it's not possible in any way, shape or form that they're brother and sister. Not just because a brother just isn't that insanely overprotective in Japanese video games unless they're banging and...that doesn't seem like that's what's going on here...but their ages don't match up. Flayn says she's closer to the age of the other students than she looks and Seteth is way older. The ages could work but...they really don't. They've also got the strange teal hair so they're probably mixed up with Rhea on some level.

The next is Golden Deer related. Claude is absolutely from the same place as Cyril, I forget the name. Started with an A. Just based off that...he's the Prince of that country. Either as a power move to connect the land the vaugely Arabic land is looking to take, now without bloodshed, or as an actual move by the Alliance to put the head of the Alliance as the next ruler of said country. Hard to say how that one will play out but even if I can't romance Claude as a male MC, I'll at least follow him wherever that leads.

Overall, the game's been fun. The writing is surprisingly good and I like most of the stuff you can do in the Monastery....I just wish there was more time to do it. Obviously it's there to make you make hard choices but it'd be nice if things were a little more loose on the calendar. I'd like to fit more Monastery time in and might just skip the Seminars from now on. The battles and the character stories seem important and I am a grindy maniac so I'll probably keep those up.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    even being a few levels higher than what I'm fighting....Normal is really easy? I've always heard that Fire Emblem games are really hard and frustrating and I'm really not getting that so far. The AI seems fairly simple to game.
    Normal difficulty in Three Houses is proving to be quite easy, no question there, much more so than usual for the series. My best guess is that it was designed with the assumption that people playing on it might only be doing the main story missions, not the side-quests, and thus doing any amount of them starts to put you ahead of the curve fast. Plus the new Divine Pulse mechanic to undo some moves if something goes wrong makes a big difference, too (if you ever remember to use it, anyway, I've forgotten that it exists more often than not, just because it is totally new and I've had little use for it due to normal difficulty being pretty easy).

I'm also not a huge fan of the randomized stats thing. A few bad RNGs has left me a Leonie with a crap Move stat which until I changed her to a mounted class left her fairly under-leveled.
    RNG has nothing to do with the move "stat," it's entirely determined by your class. Magic classes, Armored Knights, and early-game classes will have the lowest movement in the game at 4 spaces per turn, a lot of classes will get to move 5 spaces starting at intermediate rank, mounted classes get to move more (6-8 depending on the class). There's a couple of other exceptions, like Assassins getting to move 6 instead of 5 despite being non-mounted, but that's the general rule. There is an accessory item you can get which will increase a unit's movement by 1, but so far I've only seen one of it.

Overall, the game's been fun. The writing is surprisingly good and I like most of the stuff you can do in the Monastery....I just wish there was more time to do it. Obviously it's there to make you make hard choices but it'd be nice if things were a little more loose on the calendar. I'd like to fit more Monastery time in and might just skip the Seminars from now on. The battles and the character stories seem important and I am a grindy maniac so I'll probably keep those up.
    I found myself just not using Seminars or Rest after the first couple of months. Just sort of got in a pattern of using Monastery Exploration at the start of the month to talk to everyone and pick up side-quests, then doing battles the next week to do any side-quests or paralogues I had, then back to the Monastery to raise everyone's motivation again with lunch invites and lost items/gifts, plus get in some training from the other Professors/Knights once I had enough activity points to do so.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Normal difficulty in Three Houses is proving to be quite easy, no question there, much more so than usual for the series. My best guess is that it was designed with the assumption that people playing on it might only be doing the main story missions, not the side-quests, and thus doing any amount of them starts to put you ahead of the curve fast. Plus the new Divine Pulse mechanic to undo some moves if something goes wrong makes a big difference, too (if you ever remember to use it, anyway, I've forgotten that it exists more often than not, just because it is totally new and I've had little use for it due to normal difficulty being pretty easy).
    I don't use it unless the AI wants to be particularly annoying but after a few class changes I haven't felt the need to and the further I grind the less I feel I need it. Do you think maybe since this is flagship FE game to come out on the new console they might have toned it down as well to appeal to a wider crowd? I certainly could see an argument for that, as it's selling pretty well when maybe even five years ago FE was a niche game in the States.

RNG has nothing to do with the move "stat," it's entirely determined by your class. Magic classes, Armored Knights, and early-game classes will have the lowest movement in the game at 4 spaces per turn, a lot of classes will get to move 5 spaces starting at intermediate rank, mounted classes get to move more (6-8 depending on the class). There's a couple of other exceptions, like Assassins getting to move 6 instead of 5 despite being non-mounted, but that's the general rule. There is an accessory item you can get which will increase a unit's movement by 1, but so far I've only seen one of it.
    Ah, that does lessen my annoyance, it's still not a thing I'm particularly fond of. Though my Armored Knight Raph still had higher move than my...I forget what I made her...tomboy chick. She's a mounted now so she's moving pretty quick.

I found myself just not using Seminars or Rest after the first couple of months. Just sort of got in a pattern of using Monastery Exploration at the start of the month to talk to everyone and pick up side-quests, then doing battles the next week to do any side-quests or paralogues I had, then back to the Monastery to raise everyone's motivation again with lunch invites and lost items/gifts, plus get in some training from the other Professors/Knights once I had enough activity points to do so.
    Yeah, I'll probably go to that since it seems just talking and gifting is a faster way to recruit people the next game.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I eventually stopped doing battles other than Quests and Paralogues because Normal was TOO easy and I was getting even more over-leveled. This has made the tail end of the game...well, not difficult. Less roll your face on the controller and win? I've had to use Dragon Pulse occasionally, usually after I forget that Falcon Knights have about 1000% more damage than anything else on Normal difficulty.

I'm really looking forward to starting a new playthrough on Hard though. Actual difficulty would be a nice thing.

Apparently it has also been announced that Lunatic difficulty will getting released in the future as a free update. The DLCs will be "spin-off" stories that don't impact the main game.

I wonder if the Sauna will be part of that? There was that Hot Springs DLC for Awakening, so it wouldn't surprise me. It seems odd to leave the location in the monastery otherwise.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

I eventually stopped doing battles other than Quests and Paralogues because Normal was TOO easy and I was getting even more over-leveled. This has made the tail end of the game...well, not difficult. Less roll your face on the controller and win? I've had to use Dragon Pulse occasionally, usually after I forget that Falcon Knights have about 1000% more damage than anything else on Normal difficulty.
    The Wyvern Knights targeting my poor fleshy healer's been about the only reason I've had to whip it out. One tile too many and bam, there's a dead student. I'll probably not be doing Classic Mode the next few times I roll through since I'll probably boot on up to hard. In games like Final Fantasy Tactics...losing a faceless goon I've spent some time perfecting is nice and it at least gave me three turns to rush over and revive. It's pretty damn final as far as I can tell in FE and...boy that's annoying. I get it's a mainstay of the games and the genre but like so many other thins, just because it's enshrined doesn't mean its aged well. I've not got a lot of free time and if I'm just going to keep booting up the game each time I lose a character anyway what's really the point of just letting them sit the rest of the battle out? It's not going to make me any more cavalier in sending them to their deaths. It's just going to save me the time it takes to close the game, boot the game up and sit through the two loading screens I'd otherwise not.

Apparently it has also been announced that Lunatic difficulty will getting released in the future as a free update. The DLCs will be "spin-off" stories that don't impact the main game.

I wonder if the Sauna will be part of that? There was that Hot Springs DLC for Awakening, so it wouldn't surprise me. It seems odd to leave the location in the monastery otherwise.
    I saw the Season's Pass for sale. I'm enjoying my time with the game but I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it enough to buy the DLC. Time will tell I guess, especially if the DLC is considerably fun. The sauna also confused me, as I'd have figured I'd have unlocked it by now. It's weird that it's there just to be there. It even has a title card pop up when you're near it. I was looking forward to some steamy hot knight dudes. Alas.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

I don't use it unless the AI wants to be particularly annoying but after a few class changes I haven't felt the need to and the further I grind the less I feel I need it. Do you think maybe since this is flagship FE game to come out on the new console they might have toned it down as well to appeal to a wider crowd? I certainly could see an argument for that, as it's selling pretty well when maybe even five years ago FE was a niche game in the States.
    *shrug* Couldn't say. The series' difficulty has moved up and down over the course of time, often without rhyme or reason that I can see. The last such "flagship" Fire Emblem on a popular console, for instance, Radiant Dawn on the Wii, was one of the hardest in the series' history. Partially because for the international release, they changed all of the difficulty names down one compared to Japan and removed the easy difficulty. So picking "normal" on our version of that game was equivalent to picking "hard" on Japan's.

Ah, that does lessen my annoyance, it's still not a thing I'm particularly fond of. Though my Armored Knight Raph still had higher move than my...I forget what I made her...tomboy chick.
    Leonie. And that shouldn't be possible, unless you gave Raph the ring that increases his movement rate. Armored Knights move 4 per turn, and there's not a class that has a lower movement rate than that.

So, I hit the time skip, and have found something odd. Quick question for someone with extremely late-game knowledge...
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, after the time skip I was offered to increase my support with Hubert, and went ahead and did so, getting him to A rank. Surprisingly, I apparently already qualify for S rank with him too, but it says I'll have to wait until after the war (so presumably the ending or a part 3 of some kind). Now, I don't intend to S rank him, and I'm worried that this might have locked me out of S ranking someone else, since you only get the one. Has it?
    Edit: Nevermind, it hasn't. I also got Dorothea to A rank, and I'm apparently qualified for S with her too. Guess you're just automatically qualified for S rank once you hit A.

Also, as an aside, I get why of course, but I'm slightly annoyed by my characters gaining levels during the time skip. Was already going to be tough to qualify some of them for their master classes on time, and now it's impossible, plus they'll take until higher levels to master their advanced classes...
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-08-02 at 11:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, so what's everyone's thoughts on weapon types (and gambits)? Without the triangle, it seems to me that sword/lance/axe are pretty interchangeable, and thus kinda bleh. There's some differentiation with combat arts, but I find I'm barely using them on Normal, and the ones I like are the ones that give extra damage to flying/riding/armor/monster, and it seems like each of sword/lance/axe hits 2 of those and monster, which is kinda generic. Bows, however, are now excellent with having close counter as a skill, and that makes archers invaluable, especially since all the archer classes get bow range+ so they can outrange mages and monsters. Fists... I dunno. Getting a brave on every combat you start is REALLY good. Especially for Caspar and Raphael who have terrible speed but excellent strength, so their double hit can kill an enemy where a single hit with an axe won't. I'm pretty sure the Unarmed Combat ability is a waste of a slot, but maybe if it increases in power based on brawling proficiency? I dunno how it works. Mages: Still good, missing the weapon triangle on them though. Really wish dark mage wasn't male only.

Gambits, however, are an excellent addition, and I like them a lot.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-08-02 at 03:18 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

20. - Top - End - #170

Did the Lion/Eagle War plot mission today and I'm pretty sure Dark Magic isn't actually male only. The classes that specify it ARE, but I'm pretty sure one of the ladies in Blue Lion was casting Miasma and stuff.

Gremories are female only and can use All Magic, so that's where they likely pick up some Dark as well?

Gambits are great, since it helps sell the feeling of it being a big, huge battlefield you're fighting on. That, plus the reduction of units you get (thus making them all immediately more plot important/plot active) were my two biggest complaints with the series. They shove in too many units that have barely any personalities and next to no plot importance, to give it this big army of faces feel. I'm glad they embraced using generics in an interesting way with the Gambits/Battalion system.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-02 at 03:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Did the Lion/Eagle War plot mission today and I'm pretty sure Dark Magic isn't actually male only. The classes that specify it ARE, but I'm pretty sure one of the ladies in Blue Lion was casting Miasma and stuff.

Gremories are female only and can use All Magic, so that's where they likely pick up some Dark as well?

Gambits are great, since it helps sell the feeling of it being a big, huge battlefield you're fighting on. That, plus the reduction of units you get (thus making them all immediately more plot important/plot active) were my two biggest complaints with the series. They shove in too many units that have barely any personalities and next to no plot importance, to give it this big army of faces feel. I'm glad they embraced using generics in an interesting way with the Gambits/Battalion system.
    Yes, I did specify dark MAGE not dark MAGIC.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Finally finished my Golden Deer run. It went a fair bit faster towards the end because I was just skipping each month. With a maxed out professor rating and all my students at A or A+ in their chosen skills, why worry? The lack of late game quests and paralogues was very annoying - I kept trying to find something to do, but it was just 4 weeks of instructing and some generic randomly generated supply quest. I don't know if this is just down to me not recruiting heavily from other houses or not, but I kind of doubt it.

It did make the final battle satisfyingly challenging as I suspect I was a touch underdeveloped for what the game was expecting. The big lesson that I learned is to pick up the class skills before promoting - you'll spend a long time in those Master classes and the skill reward for completing them is nowhere near as good as the lower ranks.

First up, the MVP awards:

Top: Byleth, Claude. Because of course.

Top among those without broken special status: Lorenz and Leonie, which is utterly bizarre because they wound up with the worst stats on my entire squad. Leonie attacking the final boss would have resulted in 0% to hit, 0 damage, and an instant death coming the other way. I guess being fast utility guys paid off?

The slacker award (with no MVPs at all): Hilda. Are we really surprised here? She always seemed fairly central to my army, the rock that I built my forces around. She clearly found a way to get everybody else to do the work instead.

---

Also, I've worked out how the paired endings work based on how my class ended up. To be paired, they need A rank. If there's multiple with A rank, first come first served does NOT work. It's based on a semi-hidden Support stat, and you can view a character's closest allies on the Roster info page. If a male/female pair share the top closest ally, they get a paired ending. Alas, poor Lorenz. He should have spent more time hanging out with Leonie, because all the effort he spent buttering up Marianne and Lysithea went to waste. I think Leonie's probably happier without him though.

Spoiler: Thoughts on the plot
    Show
    Definitely the best Fire Emblem plot I've seen out of the games I've played (which admittedly, is only 4 of the more recent ones - Sacred Stones, Awakening, Fates, and now Three Houses). I really liked that the Church did NOT prove to be secretly evil. Yes, they did morally questionable stuff. But Rhea was also genuinely striving to keep the world safe, and the church itself was more intolerant of outside thought than a force that was deliberately trying to plunge the world into darkness or some such. I'm very curious about what caused Edelgard to move so heavily against the church, but don't reply to tell me that please - I'm going to go straight into a Black Lions "support Edelgard" playthrough to discover that.

I really only have four complaints - some of which may be cleared up after a couple of playthroughs that reveal more information.

1) There are certain mysteries that are never explained, such as the "Ancient Technology". It's VERY Sci-Fi, and hints to an ancient alien race. This does not get addressed at all, at least on the Golden Lions route. Where the heck did the people who went underground get a high tech military base with a suborbital railgun launcher? If they built it themselves, why are they defending it with swords and bows? This is just one among a number of mysteries that just don't get brought up after being introduced.

2) The game takes AGES to spill the beans on some of the mysteries - then right before the final mission there is a massive info dump. They could have spread this information out a bit.

3) It is possible to beat missions without killing the opposing students. However, the game makes no acknowledgement of this. Derdue survived throughout, yet we never hear of what happened to him or the Kingdom lands other than a vague "the lords are revolting". I managed to avoid Caspar and Lindhardt entirely in the fight they showed up, but they never return afterwards.

4) In the second battle of the Eagle and Lion, the Kingdom forces make no attempt to go for Edelgard. My plan was to hit the Empire from the north to allow the Kingdom forces to fight through. Instead, they inexplicably ignored the Empire and went straight for my troops. This irks me deeply, as it was a clear means to force you to murder them despite having no reason to do so.

Oh, and a couple of character ending thoughts:

Spoiler: Byleth and Marianne
    Show
    Given the reveal that she was SUICIDAL prior to the timeskip, I found her increased poise and happiness post-timeskip to be immensely gratifying. She easily changed the most between her time as a student and returning as a more confident warrior priestess. I loved that she proposed first to Byleth as well. Her ending as queen and becoming the "soft power" behind the throne is also incredibly fitting.

Spoiler: Leonie, by herself
    Show
    Leonie becoming a second Jeralt is pretty much perfect. I don't think she would have been happy negotiating the noble courts with Lorenz.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-08-02 at 03:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Okay, so what's everyone's thoughts on weapon types (and gambits)? Without the triangle, it seems to me that sword/lance/axe are pretty interchangeable, and thus kinda bleh. There's some differentiation with combat arts, but I find I'm barely using them on Normal, and the ones I like are the ones that give extra damage to flying/riding/armor/monster, and it seems like each of sword/lance/axe hits 2 of those and monster, which is kinda generic. Bows, however, are now excellent with having close counter as a skill, and that makes archers invaluable, especially since all the archer classes get bow range+ so they can outrange mages and monsters. Fists... I dunno. Getting a brave on every combat you start is REALLY good. Especially for Caspar and Raphael who have terrible speed but excellent strength, so their double hit can kill an enemy where a single hit with an axe won't. I'm pretty sure the Unarmed Combat ability is a waste of a slot, but maybe if it increases in power based on brawling proficiency? I dunno how it works. Mages: Still good, missing the weapon triangle on them though. Really wish dark mage wasn't male only.

Axes still tend to have a high miss rate while dealing high damage on single target hits, from what I found. My Hilda rarely double-attacked, but she didn't need to. She could cave in skulls just fine with a single blow.

Brawlers/Grapplers/War Masters can be insane. I had Raphael as a War Master, and he had about 20-25 more HP than most of my army. He always double attacked thanks to Brave, and he had a crit rate of around 40%. That's without a Killer Weapon or any kind of item giving him a boost - he just crit 40%, always. He could run up to a Fortress Knight or Great Knight with low damage and still kill them just by critting them multiple times in a single combat. They also have interesting Combat Arts, like a Rush ability that punts the enemy unit behind them for your squishies to finish off. I used that a lot while I had him as a Fortress Knight - he ran up to an enemy at a choke point, shoved them out of the way and blocked it with his own body instead. Very handy.

Unarmed does feel like a waste, I never used it.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

So, interesting thing I just had happen (post-time skip slight spoilers).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting an army that included a character that was a member of another house, upon defeating her I was actually given the option to choose whether to kill or recruit her (I of course did the latter). I suspect this was because I actually met the requirements that would have allowed me to recruit her back in part 1 - it was Lysithea, and I've been raising Byleth's Faith skill recently for later use with the special class you get access to, and she wants a high magic stat and Faith Skill. Just an interesting little thing to find out can happen - you don't need to recruit people before the time-skip to avoid killing them after.

Spoiler: Slightly more substantial spoilers.
    Show
    Plus apparently you don't necessarily fight everyone from a given house. I only ran into Ignatz, Lysithea, Hilda, and Claude before concluding my fight with the Alliance, and the only one I'd recruited before was Leonie, so it looks like the others from that house are just safe from the Black Eagles, unless there's a twist that pits you against them again later. And I was given the option to spare Claude (but not recruit him), too, which I think is automatic, so my only actual kills from the Alliance/Golden Deer were Ignatz and Hilda.

In a lot of cases the removal of the triangle does make swords, lances, and axes somewhat interchangeable, sure, but some differences remain. Swords still have the highest accuracy and lowest weight of the bunch at the cost of the lowest might, while axes are the heaviest and most inaccurate but most powerful, and lances the middle ground - and of course the classes build around each remain as they were before, with sword classes emphasizing speed and axe classes emphasizing strength, while lance classes are a bit more diverse (Cavaliers are all-arounders while Pegasus Knights are speedsters). In addition, the weapon triangle isn't quite completely gone, since you do get the [weapon]breaker skills fairly early. While they're not as powerful as they were in Fates, they provide a solid edge when going up against the weapon that yours was good against in the triangle - I know it's heavily incentivized me to have Petra as a swordmaster specialize in killing axe-wielders, since the dodge bonus from that combined with axes' low base accuracy makes her almost untouchable by them, much as swordmasters tended to be in past games.

Combat Arts I somewhat agree with in that I find the ones that deal bonus damage to certain enemy types the most useful, but I find it hard to judge them or Gambits (which I honestly usually forget I even have except when fighting monsters) given I've been playing on normal and have just not needed them most of the time. I honestly only even remember to check on them when I run into something I can't one-round, which, while getting to be a bit more often of late, still isn't common aside from bosses.

Agree that bows are much improved by the range boosts and close counter - and by the greater freedom to use them in any class now, or to have archers use melee weapons as a backup before hitting late-game classes. Mages have some range 3 spells now though, so they don't always outrange them.

Brawling can definitely be good - four hits against low-defense classes is brutal, and guaranteed two is nothing to sneeze at. And I have found unarmed combat to be worth using (it conserves uses of your gauntlets, and provides the highest avoid bonus, which does matter since Brawlers classes have low defense), but perhaps just because I'm on normal and overleveled and thus the lower damage isn't hurting as much as you'd normally expect. (Also, Caspar, low speed? You may have gotten some bad luck there, because his speed's fine for me. He's no Petra or Ingrid, but he's hardly slow.)

Individual spells are all based on the character, not the class (aside from very basic spells - some classes give Fire, Miasma, or Heal if you don't otherwise have it, and double your uses if you do, but nothing beyond those basics). So for instance, in Black Eagle Dorothea and Lindhart will never learn and "dark" magic spells no matter which classes they enter (Lindhart could get Miasma while in Dark Mage/Dark Bishop, but that's it), but Hubert will learn plenty of it regardless of which class you put him in as long as you develop his Reason skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin
    Finally finished my Golden Deer run. It went a fair bit faster towards the end because I was just skipping each month. With a maxed out professor rating and all my students at A or A+ in their chosen skills, why worry? The lack of late game quests and paralogues was very annoying - I kept trying to find something to do, but it was just 4 weeks of instructing and some generic randomly generated supply quest. I don't know if this is just down to me not recruiting heavily from other houses or not, but I kind of doubt it.
    I'm finding that post-timeskip too, though I guess I understand it in a way.
    Spoiler: Post-timeskip spoiler
    Show
    There is a war going on that you're focused on winning, after all, it's a lot harder to justify random side-quests during that than during a time of peace.

I will say though that I wonder if Paralogues might be tied to recruiting a lot. Thinking back on the ones I've done, there were none whatsoever for just Black Eagle characters, but I had two that were a result of recruiting from other houses: one for Felix alone, and one for Dorothea and Ingrid. That last is what makes me wonder, since it's a Paralogue you only get by having two specific characters from two different houses. (I had other Paralogues, but all based on monastery faculty, regardless of whether I'd recruited them or not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin
    Also, I've worked out how the paired endings work based on how my class ended up. To be paired, they need A rank. If there's multiple with A rank, first come first served does NOT work. It's based on a semi-hidden Support stat, and you can view a character's closest allies on the Roster info page. If a male/female pair share the top closest ally, they get a paired ending. Alas, poor Lorenz. He should have spent more time hanging out with Leonie, because all the effort he spent buttering up Marianne and Lysithea went to waste. I think Leonie's probably happier without him though.
    Really? That's actually very good for me to know, since I'm hitting the point where people are doing A supports, and have specific pairings I'm aiming for. I've been planning to just only give people the A ranks with my preferred partner to ensure that's what they get, and to just save before watching any other A supports they earn, then reload after, so I can see them. Might still do that just to be safe, but good to know how to manipulate it if I want to go to the trouble.

Also, FYI, it's not just male/female pairs, and I don't mean just for Byleth... although in Golden Deer it is, unless you recruit the right combinations of characters from other houses.
    Spoiler: If you want to know who...
    Show
    The combinations that I know of that supposedly (I haven't finished the game yet, so haven't seen for myself) work are:
    Black Eagles - Dorothea/Petra, Caspar/Lindhart.
    Blue Lions: Mercedes/Annette.

In addition, I saw some comments about Dorothea having "a lot" of paired endings with other women, but not specifying which others work, so there may be more for her. Judging by who she has A supports with, the only other possibilities would be Edelgard and Manuela (she only gets to B with Bernadetta and Ingrid, and all the rest of her supports are with men). I'd be skeptical of the latter since female Byleth's A support with her seems to indicate she's straight despite her flirty remarks, but Edelgard seems likely based on their B support and the fact that she's definitely bi, being an S rank option for female Byleth.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Both times i've played Black Eagles so far, Caspar has gotten to speed ~14 and then he just... stopped getting faster. It's quite annoying. It's not SLOW but it's certainly not fast. I only really managed to get him to 20 both games tho.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Both times i've played Black Eagles so far, Caspar has gotten to speed ~14 and then he just... stopped getting faster. It's quite annoying. It's not SLOW but it's certainly not fast. I only really managed to get him to 20 both games tho.
    Sounds like serious bad luck. Mine is currently speed 26 at level 31, having gone Fighter -> Brawler -> Grappler as his class route (still in Grappler even though he's qualified for War Master, want to finish mastering it). That actually puts him as my fourth fastest character, behind only Ingrid, Petra, and Leonie. There's a big gap between him and those three, but he's the highest speed of my more average characters. He actually has more speed than strength (which is at 24).

According to Serenes Forest, he has a base speed growth rate of 45% - which is actually identical to his base strength growth rate, and behind only three other Black Eagles (Petra, who has the most at 60%, and Ferdinand and Bernadetta, who are tied for second at 50%). Depending on what classes you put him in he'll get modifiers to that, but unless you stick him in Armored/Fortress Knight or Cavalier/Paladin, they'll only be positive.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So, interesting thing I just had happen (post-time skip slight spoilers).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting an army that included a character that was a member of another house, upon defeating her I was actually given the option to choose whether to kill or recruit her (I of course did the latter). I suspect this was because I actually met the requirements that would have allowed me to recruit her back in part 1 - it was Lysithea, and I've been raising Byleth's Faith skill recently for later use with the special class you get access to, and she wants a high magic stat and Faith Skill. Just an interesting little thing to find out can happen - you don't need to recruit people before the time-skip to avoid killing them after.

Spoiler: Slightly more substantial spoilers.
    Show
    Plus apparently you don't necessarily fight everyone from a given house. I only ran into Ignatz, Lysithea, Hilda, and Claude before concluding my fight with the Alliance, and the only one I'd recruited before was Leonie, so it looks like the others from that house are just safe from the Black Eagles, unless there's a twist that pits you against them again later. And I was given the option to spare Claude (but not recruit him), too, which I think is automatic, so my only actual kills from the Alliance/Golden Deer were Ignatz and Hilda.

Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely think that's because you met the requirements. I was never given the opportunity to spare anyone, and I never went out of my way to make people recruitable. I'll try getting a couple people to recruitable status and then not recruiting them to confirm.

Spoiler: On the more substantial spoiler
    Show
    I think that has to be down to Support level as well, or possibly House affiliation. I was not given an opportunity to spare Dmitri, but he ran off anyway in pursuit of Edelgard. He died offscreen when his wounds caught up with him and Empire soldiers mobbed him to death. This could just be a story difference because I was Golden Deer.

Also, something really amusing I noticed now that I'm replaying the game.

Spoiler: First half of the game spoilers
    Show
    So, the first chapter is the three house leaders getting attacked by bandits. If Byleth hadn't been there, Edelgard would have gotten killed by the bandit leader.

And the bandits were hired by the Flame Emperor...who is Edelgard.

That's just embarrassing. I don't think she thought her cunning plan all the way through.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-08-03 at 01:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely think that's because you met the requirements. I was never given the opportunity to spare anyone, and I never went out of my way to make people recruitable. I'll try getting a couple people to recruitable status and then not recruiting them to confirm.

Spoiler: On the more substantial spoiler
    Show
    I think that has to be down to Support level as well, or possibly House affiliation. I was not given an opportunity to spare Dmitri, but he ran off anyway in pursuit of Edelgard. He died offscreen when his wounds caught up with him and Empire soldiers mobbed him to death. This could just be a story difference because I was Golden Deer.
    Spoiler: More substantial spoiler
    Show
    Definitely not support level, I never got any support with Claude. Likely a story difference - he simply talked to Edelgard after I beat him and suggested that she might be better off with him alive and in her debt than killing him, and then I was given the option of whether or not to spare him. I took it, and he said he'd be leaving Fodlan, since if he stuck around some parts of the Alliance's nobility would continue to want to support him against the Empire, leading to still more wars that he didn't want.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

So I finished the Blue Lions path...It 'only took took 80 odd hours. I was overlevelled by the end of it on hard, but I needed it some maps were very challenging even with inflated stats.

My MVP was Ashe (whom I also s ranked)...And I did eventually change him to Bow Knight as the maps became very, very big towards the end game. TL'DR if the map is small with lots of cover tiles you want a sniper, if it's very big you want a Bow Knight. He definitely got rng blessed regardless.

My second and third spots went to Sylvain and Ingrid.

I had Mercedes, Annette, Flayn, Dorothea and Felix as my mages with Felix being my fourth mvp. They all...felt the same by the end...Though Annie and Felix had insane crit and speed whether Mercie and Dorothea just had big numbers.

Regarding the story:

Spoiler
    Show
    It was ok...? It definitely got worse post time skip. I can appreciate why Dimitri's broken...but his redemption felt rather forced...It wasn't bad, but it did lose the steam that the pre-time skip story had. It also didn't explain what Edle wanted to prevent... Though I have pretty good idea as to what that is

Paired endings:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Dimitri didn't marry. He instead spend the rest of his days with Duedue in his service...make of that whatever you want.
    Mercie ended up with Sylvain in a surprisingly happy ending which made me glad for both of them.
    Ingrid married Seteh which surprised me, but again made me happy.
    Annette returned with her father Gilbert back home. Also a happy ending.
    Everyone else had single endings which were ok

Regarding the students you didn't recruit
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was given no chance to recruit anyone, even those whom I managed to get to c rank. I expected a bit more drama/sadness which sadly didn't happen. I even went out of my way NOT to fight Linhardt on the map he appeared but this was never acknowledged.

A question for those who have completed the Blue lion's path

Spoiler
    Show
    Does the story change in any way if you elect to go straight to the imperial capital to fight Edelgard right of the bat? Or is this a red herring? I ask because early on the game asks you what you want to do very quickly post time skip and it appears that it will abide by your choice

Overall I am pleased with the game, though it didn't get to the heights I was hoping for. A huge improvement over the 3ds games regardless and one that makes me very hopeful for the future of the series.

I hope the dlc allows us to recruit/play with some of the npcs, there are a fair few that have the looks of recruitable units. Oh heck even if they added a few more minor choices in the story that mattered (e.g. the possibility of capturing units etc).

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

I think Paralogues might be semi randomized because they had paralogues that I don't, and mine have always involved units that I don't have (but at least one that I do).
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-03 at 07:19 AM.