New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Reach for my hand, I'll soar away.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The Death Knight does not do that, and literally his entire squad won't move to attack you if you don't approach him first. He is there purely as a distraction and to lay in wait for the Slitherers, just in case Edelgard orders it.

Rhea literally is the Archbishop of the entire religion and her word is canon law. She purges an entire section of the church due to the actions of a few, and says it's their duty to kill all sinners, regardless of their status. That's concerning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On Normal he didn't. On Hard he charged me the turn after he entered the map, and I had to scramble-panic to get into a position to kill Solon and steal the Death Knight's item on the same turn.

Whether that's due to one of my units having crossed some hidden line or not I'm not sure, but I never entered the area up the stairs where he sits.

Also, knowing about the experiment happening and then having a guy there to watch and do nothing doesn't exactly reflect well on Edelgard either.

Agreed on Rhea. I don't like Rhea, and find her equally as contemptible as early-game Edelgard. Both have really good reasons for what they're doing, and both pick horrible, horrible ways of doing it.

So far, I'm Team Claude. He's an actual idealist/reformer compared to the "my way or I will crush you under my boot" methods of both Edelgard and Rhea. I'll be very interested to see Dmitri's take when I get there.

I'm well into Edelgard's route now, and Hubert just came to Byleth explaining his plan for a "Night of the Long Knives" once the war is over. Not really helping me feel comfortable there, buddy.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    On Normal he didn't. On Hard he charged me the turn after he entered the map, and I had to scramble-panic to get into a position to kill Solon and steal the Death Knight's item on the same turn.

Whether that's due to one of my units having crossed some hidden line or not I'm not sure, but I never entered the area up the stairs where he sits.

Also, knowing about the experiment happening and then having a guy there to watch and do nothing doesn't exactly reflect well on Edelgard either.

Agreed on Rhea. I don't like Rhea, and find her equally as contemptible as early-game Edelgard. Both have really good reasons for what they're doing, and both pick horrible, horrible ways of doing it.

So far, I'm Team Claude. He's an actual idealist/reformer compared to the "my way or I will crush you under my boot" methods of both Edelgard and Rhea. I'll be very interested to see Dmitri's take when I get there.

I'm well into Edelgard's route now, and Hubert just came to Byleth explaining his plan for a "Night of the Long Knives" once the war is over. Not really helping me feel comfortable there, buddy.
    Spoiler: Black Eagles
    Show
    It's not like she can have her Flame Emperor units attack the Slitherers outright. Though yeah, hard mode kinda breaks that "they're holding back" thing, which is unfortunate. Also she DIRECTLY says that had she known about it, she'd have stopped it. Directly!

Rhea does not have any good reason for what she's doing. Her twisting of Seiros's teaching is awful and motivated by an immortal's hate at being alive and alone.

Claude is idealistic and real good, but Edelgard is the one actually doing the work. She acts to perform regime change, here and now, while Claude focuses on non-Fodland politics and lets his Alliance lock horns. No one else wants what Edelgard does and I'm sorry, but they're... wrong? Crests and nobility aren't a remotely good form of government. Meritocracy isn't much better but it's a step forward, and she's actually going into it with a smart head on her shoulders.

Hubert's literally talking about killing the evil darkness cult we're using for power and nothing more. Nothing wrong with killing them.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

So I have somehow lost my second dark seal. I wonder, is there any way to acquire dark seals after the timeskip?

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So I have somehow lost my second dark seal. I wonder, is there any way to acquire dark seals after the timeskip?
    Yes it is. Also it may just be inside someone's inventory. Check everyone to be sure!

Dark Mage AND Dark Bishop use Dark seals, so it may be you didn't notice it being used?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    And actually, that makes me think maybe I can have Lorenz take the swordsman-into-Mortal Savant route instead. He's definitely got the growths for it without absolutely needing to dip into a magic class if I don't want to, and while swords aren't one of his strong skills, they're not a weak one either, and I've already seen that developing someone along a path for skills they are only okay in can work out just great when I made Leonie a Wyvern Lord in my first file.
    Ignatz's personal skill is made for bows (which lose accuracy at longer ranges), but he lacks Bernie's access to the deadeye skill. He's the one character in GD that I'd actually recommend replacing, though assassin could work as well.

Lorenz makes a really good dark knight. A good path for him would be Mage > Dark Bishop > Dark Knight. Mastering mage gives you Fiendish Blow for a +6 MAG when you attack, and mastering Dark Bishop gives you Lifetaker. Combined, this makes him a sort of magic/drain tank that leeches back life as he kills stuff.

Also, if you're beginning a Golden Deer route, note that Lorenz's paralogue is one of the most important ones. It gives a certain relic that makes Lysithia godly.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2019-08-07 at 03:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Like I say, it's really hard for me to tell because of what I know from the Golden Deer path. Without spoiling anything, it's much more complex.

I will say that I never had the opinion that the church at large was evil. My initial opinion of Rhea was that she was pretty darn scary, and I also didn't trust Catherine all that much*. The rest of the knights all seemed like good people, and Seteth was humanized by his paralogue. He also clearly wasn't informed of everything Rhea had been up to. The church had some serious issues, but it was in shades of gray and wasn't a monolithic evil organization.

So being given the choice to side with Edelgard who was on the same side as the Death Knight who rode through Remire Village laughing maniacally shouting "Kill! Kiil!", who was working with the ACTUAL bad guys for the game, at the exact moment where she desecrated a tomb by stealing all the corpses? With a cackling underling that's right out of the villainous side in every Fire Emblem game ever?

Yeah, I would have hesitated. The game made it clear Rhea wasn't nice, but Edelgard at that point in the game had giant neon "BIG BAD VILLAIN" arrows pointing at her. As I get further into her route she's getting softer and the route is becoming lighter than the pitch black it started with, but at that exact spot in the story she was pretty evil. There's a little bit more I'd like to say, but it involves talking about things from the Golden Deer perspective so I'll hold off.

The other thing I'll say is that I absolutely despise the "we have to burn the village to save it" mentality that Edelgard espouses. The idea that throwing the entire continent into years of warfare is somehow worth it to take down the church, even if it was a purely evil organization. If they gave you the choice of which House to join at the outset of war (instead of making it church or Edelgard), I would never, ever pick Edelgard. So that's a major element of my decision.

*I should note here that I've never had a single support with Catherine - this opinion was purely informed by the one mission you share with her. I plan on recruiting her on the Blue Lions route to find out what her deal is

Oddly enough, I had no Pegasus Knights in my Golden Deer playthrough. I had a flipping ton of Wyvern Riders though. I'm trying to do Byleth as a Falcon Knight on this playthrough, but given that I only have one person that teaches flying it is proving...difficult.
    Spoiler: Black Eagles time skip.
    Show
    We'll have to talk about Golden Deer stuff once I'm further into it, then, though sadly my progress will be a lot slower now that my vacation's over...

Anyway, as far as the Church goes, I agree that most of the non-Rhea people you meet involved with it are not black-and-white evil themselves. But Rhea herself certainly is, as is the Church as an institution, for the reasons LaZodiac has been reiterating. And even for people like Setheth and the Knights, they still stand by with no objections - or worse, participate - as the Church openly goes about its worst business, that of killing anyone who won't go along with them and their teachings. Plus any of them you haven't recruited (and Flayn, sadly) still choose to side with the Church when the war breaks out, Setheth despite being in the midst of a possible falling out with Rhea over him starting to learn that she was up to something with Byleth. So they're neither completely blameless nor really helping improve my view of the Church as an institution.

And you knew by the point of the Tomb that Edelgard/The Flame Emperor was not completely on the side of Solon and the Death Knight (who I'm fairly sure is one of the Slitherers, not working for Edelgard directly), as she told you as much both directly as the Flame Emperor and indirectly as herself when she indicated that she believed there were multiple factions of adversaries working at complicated cross-purposes, even though what you knew at the time wouldn't lead you to believe that.

As for that last, I'll just say that I think she's probably right that a war like that is the only way to fully deal with the Church, given how entrenched it is in the societies of the various nations, and its ability to openly just kill anyone who defies it and have no one bat an eye. Any lesser form of defiance would just get her labeled a heretic and killed similarly. And it definitely needs to go. It's an awful situation, but it's the one that Fodlan is in, and she's just working with that. I completely get discomfort with that, I have it too, but under the circumstances, and especially given her background and motives, I also very much understand her decision.

I will say it's a well-written case of a well-intentioned extremist with actually debatable decisions involved quite a bit, though. I said in another spoiler that this is what I wish Fates' story could have been like, rather than just the "Hoshido is good, Nohr is evil (except your siblings)" that it was. The Church and Slitherers are clear-cut villains but operate mainly in the background for much of the story, and everywhere else there's understandable actions based on peoples' history and characters, and shades of grey to the morality, which makes for a very good story.

(Re: Catherine - I only saw her C support with Byleth, pretty sure she can't be recruited on the Black Eagles route. It, well, didn't tell me much, but also didn't endear her to me, lets say.)

Yeah, I'm worried about getting Byleth trained in flying too, but hopefully making sure I get that training on every possible weekend that I'm not doing a battle will help it work out. The qualification level for basic Pegasus Knight isn't too high, and then you have until master classes open up to get up high enough for Falcon Knight, since there's no advanced version of the class. And you do gain a little flying experience for any combat you do while in a flying class. We'll see how it goes though.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #247

Show
    We'll have to talk about Golden Deer stuff once I'm further into it, then, though sadly my progress will be a lot slower now that my vacation's over...

Anyway, as far as the Church goes, I agree that most of the non-Rhea people you meet involved with it are not black-and-white evil themselves. But Rhea herself certainly is, as is the Church as an institution, for the reasons LaZodiac has been reiterating. And even for people like Setheth and the Knights, they still stand by with no objections - or worse, participate - as the Church openly goes about its worst business, that of killing anyone who won't go along with them and their teachings. Plus any of them you haven't recruited (and Flayn, sadly) still choose to side with the Church when the war breaks out, Setheth despite being in the midst of a possible falling out with Rhea over him starting to learn that she was up to something with Byleth. So they're neither completely blameless nor really helping improve my view of the Church as an institution.

And you knew by the point of the Tomb that Edelgard/The Flame Emperor was not completely on the side of Solon and the Death Knight (who I'm fairly sure is one of the Slitherers, not working for Edelgard directly), as she told you as much both directly as the Flame Emperor and indirectly as herself when she indicated that she believed there were multiple factions of adversaries working at complicated cross-purposes, even though what you knew at the time wouldn't lead you to believe that.

As for that last, I'll just say that I think she's probably right that a war like that is the only way to fully deal with the Church, given how entrenched it is in the societies of the various nations, and its ability to openly just kill anyone who defies it and have no one bat an eye. Any lesser form of defiance would just get her labeled a heretic and killed similarly. And it definitely needs to go. It's an awful situation, but it's the one that Fodlan is in, and she's just working with that. I completely get discomfort with that, I have it too, but under the circumstances, and especially given her background and motives, I also very much understand her decision.

I will say it's a well-written case of a well-intentioned extremist with actually debatable decisions involved quite a bit, though. I said in another spoiler that this is what I wish Fates' story could have been like, rather than just the "Hoshido is good, Nohr is evil (except your siblings)" that it was. The Church and Slitherers are clear-cut villains but operate mainly in the background for much of the story, and everywhere else there's understandable actions based on peoples' history and characters, and shades of grey to the morality, which makes for a very good story.

(Re: Catherine - I only saw her C support with Byleth, pretty sure she can't be recruited on the Black Eagles route. It, well, didn't tell me much, but also didn't endear her to me, lets say.)

Yeah, I'm worried about getting Byleth trained in flying too, but hopefully making sure I get that training on every possible weekend that I'm not doing a battle will help it work out. The qualification level for basic Pegasus Knight isn't too high, and then you have until master classes open up to get up high enough for Falcon Knight, since there's no advanced version of the class. And you do gain a little flying experience for any combat you do while in a flying class. We'll see how it goes though.
    Show
    For some absolutely baffling stupid reason, you cannot learn the identity of the Death Knight unless you have both Caspar and Mercedes in your class directly. It's one of I think the only paralogues where you HAVE to have both instead of just one.

Spoilers, he is:
    Spoiler: Bigger Spoilers Than Most
    Show
    Jeritz, as literally everyone guessed in universe. And Mercedes brother which is explicitly hinted at in the dialogue you experience during explore for the months Jeritz is around. And Edelgard's private warrior who never ever shows up at any point during her path at all and I think never shows up post time skip, period, in any of the routes. Jeritz is like, the MOST missed opportunity character of this entire game and it sucks.

Anyway yeah, 100% agreed on this. Three Houses is the morally ambigious epic war story I wanted Fates to be, and Edelgard is just Nohr!Corrin done properly. She hates the violence and bloodshed but also needs to DO it, because her goals are more important than her morals. And given the sheer enormity of her goals, she's probably right.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-07 at 04:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

@ LaZodiac - Well, good to know how to find out, but I am not reading that spoiler block since you labeled it a big one. Not sure whether I'll be able to do that in my Golden Deer play through or not, either, sadly, it might be waiting for me to do Blue Lion.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #249

@ LaZodiac - Well, good to know how to find out, but I am not reading that spoiler block since you labeled it a big one. Not sure whether I'll be able to do that in my Golden Deer play through or not, either, sadly, it might be waiting for me to do Blue Lion.
    Honestly I feel like "big spoiler" isn't the right way I should have specified it. Regardless, good luck finding it out!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Minor rant, but why even have a Subdue ability if you can't use it to actually subdue enemies? To give the kill to someone else? That feels incredibly gamey.

I dunno, I just. This feels like it could've been a great way to reward effort.

11. - Top - End - #251

Minor rant, but why even have a Subdue ability if you can't use it to actually subdue enemies? To give the kill to someone else? That feels incredibly gamey.

I dunno, I just. This feels like it could've been a great way to reward effort.
    The entire point of subdue is to feed kills. Given it's a Lord ability, and only Dim/Ed/Claude can be a Lord, and they're absurdly strong, it's valid a thing to have. My Edelgard was basically 5 levels ahead every other map just because of her increased EXP gain and raw power.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Made Ferdie into a dancer....coz why not. Problem is his getting very good level ups now...Oh well offensive dancer it is.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

I made Flayn my dancer. Spoilery problem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm black Eagles, and want to romance Edelgard.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show
    Claude is idealistic and real good, but Edelgard is the one actually doing the work. She acts to perform regime change, here and now, while Claude focuses on non-Fodland politics and lets his Alliance lock horns. No one else wants what Edelgard does and I'm sorry, but they're... wrong? Crests and nobility aren't a remotely good form of government. Meritocracy isn't much better but it's a step forward, and she's actually going into it with a smart head on her shoulders.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We never get to see what Claude would have done, because Edelgard ascends to power before he does and overturns the political situation. In both routes, he plays up the Alliance's neutrality in order to keep them out of a war he doesn't believe they can win. I also don't get the impression that Claude is terribly struck with nobility either, he just doesn't see a way to overturn that without the sort of bloody revolution Edelgard causes.

Ultimately, my dislike for Edelgard's path comes down to who I am and what I believe, and we'd have to dive deep into real-world politics and religion to discuss further. Suffice to say that I would not have done what Edelgard did. Some things are not worth the price you have to pay, and how you go about it (and who you ally with) are supremely important.

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    On this we can very much agree. The fact that we've been having this impassioned discussion shows just how good the story is. I wish it wasn't so frustratingly difficult to get some of the details (like the aforementioned Death Knight), but it's MILES better than Fates's story and I'm very pleased to have a story that's less black and white than Awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I made Flayn my dancer. Spoilery problem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm black Eagles, and want to romance Edelgard.
    Ouch.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-08-08 at 05:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay I just saw the Lin-Marianne B support. Lin you are a very good person and I appreciate that.

Also Marianne what have they done to you to be so sad? :(

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Okay I just saw the Lin-Marianne B support. Lin you are a very good person and I appreciate that.

...ooh, I know the answer to that!

Ugh, I want to find a good way to grind supports (I'm on Hard). I want to see more of Lorentz and Raph/Ignatz. I want to see if I can piece together what's up with Lysithea. I want to pair all the peoples with all the peoples and learn more of all these not so little side stories and background that's woven among them!

I'm more interested in some of these side stories than the main one, and I'm liking the main one.

17. - Top - End - #257

Linhardt is my good bi boy and even though he may say the wrong thing sometimes he always does his best to make it up to people. Strongly relatable, very good boy.

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    ...ooh, I know the answer to that!

Ugh, I want to find a good way to grind supports (I'm on Hard). I want to see more of Lorentz and Raph/Ignatz. I want to see if I can piece together what's up with Lysithea. I want to pair all the peoples with all the peoples and learn more of all these not so little side stories and background that's woven among them!

I'm more interested in some of these side stories than the main one, and I'm liking the main one.
    Make them eat lunch together, make one adjucate the other, sing music together. Group work helps too. In the end game of my Black Eagle run I had a character I ended up picking up post timet skip adjucate for Edelgard and I got her support up to A in like... four maps.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-08 at 07:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Linhardt is my good bi boy and even though he may say the wrong thing sometimes he always does his best to make it up to people. Strongly relatable, very good boy.
    He's definitely on my list to recruit for my next run, to replace Marianne who is sweet but could use a break after two stints in the trenches.

Since my next run will likely be my last before taking a break, I've decided to look up the paralogues to find out any obscure combinations. I apparently missed out on one in my first playthrough either because I didn't get their support level up until post-timeskip or because I recruited one of them after the window had passed for the paralogue. I intend to be prepared next time so I hit as many as possible - especially since a couple are just straight up unavailable on my current route.

For those curious, the list I'm using is here. Potentially slightly spoilery, so use your own judgement.

Also, you can apparently miss out on relics if you have one half of the required pair and the one that owns the relic is in another class.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm basically screwed. I don't think any of the Black Eagles characters train lances, leaving me with just Manuela...who I need for the Flying training. I can maybe try and stock up on a bunch of gold from killing rare monsters and then RNG my way through the exam at B+ on Flying and B on Lance, but even so I'll be hitting Falcon Knight at near max level and close to the end of the game. Being Pegasus Knight the whole game hasn't really paid off.

I'm hoping that doing a Reason/Faith run for my next one won't be TOO hard to pull off. I was going to do male Byleth again, but maybe female Byleth so I can pick up the Gremory class would be the way to go.

19. - Top - End - #259

He's definitely on my list to recruit for my next run, to replace Marianne who is sweet but could use a break after two stints in the trenches.

Since my next run will likely be my last before taking a break, I've decided to look up the paralogues to find out any obscure combinations. I apparently missed out on one in my first playthrough either because I didn't get their support level up until post-timeskip or because I recruited one of them after the window had passed for the paralogue. I intend to be prepared next time so I hit as many as possible - especially since a couple are just straight up unavailable on my current route.

For those curious, the list I'm using is here. Potentially slightly spoilery, so use your own judgement.

Also, you can apparently miss out on relics if you have one half of the required pair and the one that owns the relic is in another class.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm basically screwed. I don't think any of the Black Eagles characters train lances, leaving me with just Manuela...who I need for the Flying training. I can maybe try and stock up on a bunch of gold from killing rare monsters and then RNG my way through the exam at B+ on Flying and B on Lance, but even so I'll be hitting Falcon Knight at near max level and close to the end of the game. Being Pegasus Knight the whole game hasn't really paid off.

I'm hoping that doing a Reason/Faith run for my next one won't be TOO hard to pull off. I was going to do male Byleth again, but maybe female Byleth so I can pick up the Gremory class would be the way to go.
    I think Ferdinand teaches lances, since that's what he starts at that is good.

Also god I needed that list of paralogues.

My only concern with Linhardt is I feel bad every time I make him kill someone since he's incredibly blood averse and does not actually have the fortitude to take a life and every time he does it he dies inside.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think Ferdinand teaches lances, since that's what he starts at that is good.

Also god I needed that list of paralogues.

My only concern with Linhardt is I feel bad every time I make him kill someone since he's incredibly blood averse and does not actually have the fortitude to take a life and every time he does it he dies inside.
    See, I thought that he could do lances but last time I checked I only saw him teaching axes. I wonder if what a student teaches is determined by their highest skill level? Either that or I just stroked out.

Fortunately for me, my Linhardt is SO bad at combat that he almost never has to fight. It's really only when I get ambushed or some other catastrophe happens where it's better for him to attack (and he's in range instead of 10 squares behind the rest of my army using Physic) instead of healing that he has to kill someone.

He still broke my heart though, because one mission went so south that he had to kill about 3 or 4 guys. The next month there was a note in the advice box from him commenting on how he used to be disgusted by getting sprayed with blood, but he's now getting used to it...and that horrifies him even more. I told him to never stop getting horrified, but I still want to throw myself out a window now.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure a student can only teach you up to their own level in the skill. So if you have B+ Faith and Linhardt has A, Lin can teach you, but as soon as you reach A, Lin can't teach you anymore until he reaches A+.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm pretty sure a student can only teach you up to their own level in the skill. So if you have B+ Faith and Linhardt has A, Lin can teach you, but as soon as you reach A, Lin can't teach you anymore until he reaches A+.
    This seems right. I just checked Ferdinand's skill levels and he only has a B in Lance. So while we were both at rank B, he could instruct. Once Byleth ticked over to B+, the option went away.

This also explains why the knights and instructors have such a high skill in their chosen field when you first recruit them - it's to make sure they can instruct Byleth even if you focus super hard on a particular skill.

Sorry Byleth, looks like you're a Pegasus Knight forever. Probably.

Either that or Ferdinand needs to learn how to stick them with the pointy end. So far his role has been "meat shield" since his low defense and high HP pool attracts the AI like flies with minimal risk. The axe works best for the one swing he's going to get at them.

23. - Top - End - #263

I feel like putting a March Ring on Byleth and keeping them in their plot promotion is so overwhelmingly powerful that there's no need to actually do a master or advanced class with Byleth.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

So all my efforts to recruit everyone will not allow me to get all the paralogues on the BE route...sigh...

I wasn't expecting to be able to do the Dimitri one but was still hoping for a certain other one that explains what's happening with a certain someone...

Edit: Also I have to confess that the supports alone make this game the best post 2000 FE. It's probably better than genealogy. I was thinking that maybe they'd make a remake of that considering how they brought back the holy blood mechanic. But I don't think they need to now.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2019-08-08 at 05:08 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, I'm doing it just for fun. Seeing the different ways you can build Byleth is more interesting than just destroying with their unique class, at least after the first time through the game anyway. If we eventually get Lunatic difficulty though, I think not screwing around with Byleth will be mandatory. I'm already having to make extensive use of Dragon Pulse to deal with getting critted out or otherwise falling into bad positions. On Lunatic I imagine you would have to optimize your team very carefully, because Had difficulty is already quite a bit higher than Hard in the previous two games (because Dragon Pulse exists, I suspect).

Bernadette just won a prize for taking down a barrier all by herself without using a gambit. Artillery fire for the win. I wanted her to kill it too, but I did the math and worked out that she would literally break all her bows first.

In other news, I'm getting gladder and gladder that this was NOT my first playthrough.

Spoiler: Black Eagles Chapter 16/Golden Deer spoilers
    Show
    When they told me I was going to Arianrhod, I knew what was coming. There's only one reason the game would send me there when it was so out of the way of the Empire's advance, and that's so they can blow it up with the sub-orbital railgun. I was expecting them to use a modified version of the animation, maybe show the Death Knight leading Byleth to safety instead of tricking them to safety. I don't remember the exact deals of the cutscene, but it cannot have been that difficult to change some voicelines and edit the sequence a bit so that it makes sense from an Empire point of view.

Instead, we get...nothing. They blow up the fortress off-screen. No animation, not even a still picture. One of the biggest moments of the Golden Deer playthrough, and it's completely glossed over.

I'm sorry, but this is just LAZY. Yes, I'm on what I'm now convinced is the non-canon path through the game. There's still only four paths!!! And for Black Eagles, it's the one that many people will have taken for their first playthrough! It's not like it's super hidden - you only require C+ rank with Edelgard and choosing to accompany her to the Empire to unlock it, and choosing Edelgard at the moment of truth isn't exactly a crazy decision nobody would pick either. So why is this path so phoned in?

I've pretty much lost motivation for this path now. I seriously doubt that I'm going to get any new animations. The game basically told me that the next mission is going to be a map I'm familiar with (I've only seen one new map on this path so far), and the plot along this route has been nowhere near the quality of the Golden Deer path. Under the circumstances, the final confrontation with Rhea can only be a disappointment.

Still, I suppose I must grind through it.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-08-08 at 05:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    We never get to see what Claude would have done, because Edelgard ascends to power before he does and overturns the political situation. In both routes, he plays up the Alliance's neutrality in order to keep them out of a war he doesn't believe they can win. I also don't get the impression that Claude is terribly struck with nobility either, he just doesn't see a way to overturn that without the sort of bloody revolution Edelgard causes.

Ultimately, my dislike for Edelgard's path comes down to who I am and what I believe, and we'd have to dive deep into real-world politics and religion to discuss further. Suffice to say that I would not have done what Edelgard did. Some things are not worth the price you have to pay, and how you go about it (and who you ally with) are supremely important.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be clear, my opinion on this story in the game and my opinion on what to do in situations in the real world are not necessarily the same thing. Particularly since, you know, in reality we don't need to deal with things like literal immortal (or at least ridiculously long-lived) monsters working to keep the world under their thumb forever. I suspect we'd agree quite a bit on more realistic scenarios, but a fantasy one like this changes the equation a bit for me with elements like that.

Spoiler
    Show
    On this we can very much agree. The fact that we've been having this impassioned discussion shows just how good the story is. I wish it wasn't so frustratingly difficult to get some of the details (like the aforementioned Death Knight), but it's MILES better than Fates's story and I'm very pleased to have a story that's less black and white than Awakening.

Thank you very much, was waiting for something like that to get added to Serenes Forest, and it still hasn't been, so very nice to have.

Hm, that is concerning, but I'm going to hope that I can manage it better on my Golden Deer run. Pretty sure there are other faculty members/knights that can teach you lances outside of the Black Eagle path (Gilbert? Jeralt?), and even post-timeskip I should have at a minimum Leonie for that. Could even consider recruiting Ingrid again to have another post-timeskip flying teacher (I think, don't recall for sure what she taught since my first Byleth didn't need them, but I'd assume lances and flying since she's a Pegasus Knight by default).

Correct. I ran into this on my first run, with Petra being able to help teach my Byleth sword skills (since they had lagged behind when I learned some lance skill early to recruit Leonie), but only up until her skill rank caught up with hers.

Edit: Also I have to confess that the supports alone make this game the best post 2000 FE. It's probably better than genealogy. I was thinking that maybe they'd make a remake of that considering how they brought back the holy blood mechanic. But I don't think they need to now.
    I definitely still want to see them remake 4-6, since I'd like to actually be able to play those in English legally, personally. Much as the Shadow Dragon remake disappointed and I still haven't played Echoes because I never expected it to be good, I would have better hopes for those, since the original games are reputedly a better starting point than Dark Dragon or Gaiden.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Firbolg in the Playground

It should be noted that instructors never stop being able to teach you on their default strengths regardless of the MC's level. Gotta be sure to recruit Seteth for flying, Alois for heavy armor, but I'm not sure who's got riding.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    It should be noted that instructors never stop being able to teach you on their default strengths regardless of the MC's level. Gotta be sure to recruit Seteth for flying, Alois for heavy armor, but I'm not sure who's got riding.
    Spoiler: Black Eagles time skip
    Show
    Setheth is a no-go on the Black Eagles route if you side with Edelgard, though. That leaves only Manuela on that route for flying.

Turns out Setheth teaches lances, too, incidentally. I guess maybe that route is just a bad one to try the Pegasus/Falcon Knight path with Byleth in.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-08-08 at 09:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

So just hit the Timskip. Golden Deer though I don't think it'll factor in since this is more musings on the over-all game up to the timeskip than anything story specific. Spoilered for the few story spots.

Spoiler
    Show
    Boy but they didn't hide...any of those plot reveals well. Tomas being Solon...sure, what a twist. You gave us pretty much nothing to go off of on that so is that even a twist? The redhead being evil wasn't a surprise either nor was, as I mentioned earlier, Eddie being the Flame Emperor. As it approached closer to that reveal it got more and more obvious that it's not going to be Dimitri. Who looks epic post-time skip.

The whole story plays out fairly close to how I expected from there. I imagine something seriously not good was planned for poor Byleth before the Flame Emperor came and pulled her crap and honestly...that was a seriously fun fight. I've enjoyed most maps but some were just tedious. That one, even over-leveled, felt like a fun challenge and if I was at the appropriate level I might have even wiped. There's just so much thrown at you. The level after was equally fun, as you defended the gates. So far I've enjoyed those sort of missions the most. Where it's not just "kill all the dudes".

On the time skip, a big meh. It all just happens so quick. It doesn't feel like five years has passed. All the lead up to how the war went is after we wake up. From a river, found by some dude. There's no struggle to get back. It's just "bam you fall off a cliff. Bam you're up and its five years later and bam you're back talking to Claude/Dimitri..noideawhoforBlackEagle and then everyone's back looking older and then the whole Chant...er...I mean Cathedral is back up and running like nothing really happened. It honestly broke me from the immersion of it all. Here we had these serious and heavy fights with some real stakes and some actually nice tension and then just narf. I sure hope that's not a sign of things to come.

My other bugbear for the game is...the later the months, the less time you have to get crap done and that just feels really counter to me. I want time to explore more and talk to people more as things open up. Don't

1. Tie access to the Cathedral to the story
    2. Limit my time to access the new places
    3. Make me pick in that increasingly limited time how to spend it when you're handing me new toys.

That's just weird to me. The other other bugbear is...the Master Classes are almost universally mounted and I wish they'd made that more clear. Almost none of my people have riding since I didn't expect that. The class options just feel so dang limited. Coming from TRPGs like Disgaea probably doesn't help me there I guess.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Black Eagles time skip
    Show
    Setheth is a no-go on the Black Eagles route if you side with Edelgard, though. That leaves only Manuela on that route for flying.

Turns out Setheth teaches lances, too, incidentally. I guess maybe that route is just a bad one to try the Pegasus/Falcon Knight path with Byleth in.
    Yup.

I finally managed to get Byleth into Falcon Knight at level 37. It took me a month and 3 Master Seals to achieve it as I kept failing the 70% on the exam. It's not all that much different (not like advanced classing in the other games), but the Lancefaire and extra avoid is nice.

That gives me 3 people who are in Master classes, 3 who I never intend to promote (Bernadette, Petra, and Linhardt), 2 who are in unique classes, and 2 who are slackers. Oh, and my adjutants, who I didn't put a lot of effort into.

The rallying cry of my army remains "GODDAMNIT, Ferdinand!"