New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: If Redcloak died, where would he go?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why? What substantially differentiates Redcloak from The Dark One? TDO is a Lawful Evil goblin who wants equality for all goblinoids and is willing to use any means at his disposal to achieve that. Redcloak is... well, a Lawful Evil goblin who wants equality for all goblinoids and is willing to use any means at his disposal to achieve that, and also is green.
    The Dark One is a lot more overt and honest about his intentions. He's the 'honorable warlord' kind of Lawful Evil. Redcloak, however, is the 'scheming vizier' kind of Lawful Evil who manipulates and works in the shadows and lies to people, including himself.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    The Dark One is a lot more overt and honest about his intentions. He's the 'honorable warlord' kind of Lawful Evil. Redcloak, however, is the 'scheming vizier' kind of Lawful Evil who manipulates and works in the shadows and lies to people, including himself.
    But uh, why would I worship that as opposed to my current god? He worshipped my Dark One in life and did everything so TDO would succeed, why should I bother worshipping some minion when I can worship the legitimate Dark One.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

But uh, why would I worship that as opposed to my current god? He worshipped my Dark One in life and did everything so TDO would succeed, why should I bother worshipping some minion when I can worship the legitimate Dark One.
    You can worship both. That's the whole point of pantheons and polytheistic religions.
    ungelic is us

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    You can worship both. That's the whole point of pantheons and polytheistic religions.
    You can, but that requires more prayer on my part, and it’s perfectly possible to exist in a pantheon without worship from anyone, not something one would want because it seems to kill you, but I feel like to be raised you need more than just a bunch of deaths and whatnot, especially since they are clearly still for TDO, because why would I worship Thor’s pet dog?
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

But Redcloak is lying to the people that he is just like TDO, so.... why would any of them worship him? They would have to know, or at least believe, that he's lying.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-17 at 09:55 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

You can, but that requires more prayer on my part, and it’s perfectly possible to exist in a pantheon without worship from anyone, not something one would want because it seems to kill you, but I feel like to be raised you need more than just a bunch of deaths and whatnot, especially since they are clearly still for TDO, because why would I worship Thor’s pet dog?
    Because Redcloak isn't any mere minion, he's a living legend in his own right. He may have been doing it all in the name of The Dark One, but he was the Supreme Leader, he marched his armies on the gates of Azure City, and he built a nation in the ashes of his people's bitterest foe.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Because Redcloak isn't any mere minion, he's a living legend in his own right. He may have been doing it all in the name of The Dark One, but he was the Supreme Leader, he marched his armies on the gates of Azure City, and he built a nation in the ashes of his people's bitterest foe.
    Exactly. They practically worship him already in the figurative sense and that's only one step removed from actual religious worship. The hobgoblins seemingly adore him and are blindly loyal to him, the only hints of disapproval being the racist hobgoblin prisoner and what the ill-fated patrol said about Shelby.
    Last edited by hroțila; 2019-09-17 at 10:18 AM.
    ungelic is us

8. - Top - End - #98

Of course, it was Xykon who did in Shelby instead of promoting him.

9. - Top - End - #99

WolfInSheepsClothing

Given what we know about The Dark One it's not that unlikely that Redcloak is the highest level goblin in history (most personally powerful) and likely the most accomplished. There's never been a goblin nation before iirc? Being a warlord is different from being a nation builder.

10. - Top - End - #100

Why? What substantially differentiates Redcloak from The Dark One? TDO is a Lawful Evil goblin who wants equality for all goblinoids and is willing to use any means at his disposal to achieve that. Redcloak is... well, a Lawful Evil goblin who wants equality for all goblinoids and is willing to use any means at his disposal to achieve that, and also is green.
    They could get a Gork and Mork dynamic going. One's cunningly brutal, the other's brutally cunning, and it's never in the same order.

11. - Top - End - #101

Exactly. They practically worship him already in the figurative sense and that's only one step removed from actual religious worship. The hobgoblins seemingly adore him and are blindly loyal to him
    Because he's the high priest of The Dark One and also was leader of their nation-state, founded under the banner of TDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Given what we know about The Dark One it's not that unlikely that Redcloak is the highest level goblin in history (most personally powerful) and likely the most accomplished. There's never been a goblin nation before iirc? Being a warlord is different from being a nation builder.
    The hobgoblins were certainly on their way, and their Supreme Leader was blindly followed (which was what gave Reddie his foot in the door there).

Nothing Redcloak has done seems substantially different than what the Dark One wanted to do, and everything has been done in The Dark One's name. This would be like the northern pantheon having Thor, then Steve, the oddly named dwarf who built a Thoric nation while acting as the high priest of Thor, uniting all Thorites under the banner of Thor. Steve ain't gone get deified, because at best he'd be Thor Jr.

12. - Top - End - #102

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just because he did it in The Dark One's name doesn't mean he didn't make the decisions and do the leg work.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Nothing Redcloak has done seems substantially different than what the Dark One wanted to do, and everything has been done in The Dark One's name. This would be like the northern pantheon having Thor, then Steve, the oddly named dwarf who built a Thoric nation while acting as the high priest of Thor, uniting all Thorites under the banner of Thor. Steve ain't gone get deified, because at best he'd be Thor Jr.
    Counterpoint: Dvalin, First King of the Dwarves.

If the Northern Pantheon was less populous, I could easily see Dvalin becoming more than a mere demigod.

14. - Top - End - #104

Counterpoint: Dvalin, First King of the Dwarves.

If the Northern Pantheon was less populous, I could easily see Dvalin becoming more than a mere demigod.
    Was Dvalin high Priest of Thor who did everything for Thor? If the answer isn’t yes than it’s not the same thing.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Because he's the high priest of The Dark One and also was leader of their nation-state, founded under the banner of TDO.
    I really don't see why that would matter when it comes to worshipping Redcloak, but regardless, from what we've seen, the goblinoids care about Redcloak as their leader more than they do about Redcloak as their high priest, which is an aspect of Redcloak they haven't discussed at all on panel. In fact, IIRC, the only non-cleric goblinoids who talk about the Dark One at all are Right-Eye (eventually in a negative way), Oona (in a neutral and more or less detached way) and Redcloak's potential date in SOD (in a positive and clearly devout way). In my opinion, the vast majority of goblinoids figuratively-worship Redcloak for his own sake, not as an agent of the Dark One, and that's how he'd come to be for-reals-worshipped.
    Last edited by hroțila; 2019-09-17 at 11:50 AM.
    ungelic is us

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Was Dvalin high Priest of Thor who did everything for Thor? If the answer isn’t yes than it’s not the same thing.
    One, we can't really prove he wasn't. Not that it matters too much one way or the other because...

Two, of course it isn't the same thing, but it's a decent analogue. Redcloak is the First Supreme Leader of Gobbotopia- he's the one who led their army to glory and conquest against the Azurites. He did it in The Dark One's name, yes, but the crucial bit is that he did it. Not The Dark One. Him. Redcloak.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Evil people are tortured on the lower planes, but that's because they're surrounded by other evil creatures, not because of some systematic policy.

You START as a 2HD petitioner, no matter how strong you were in life. Which means everyone enters at the bottom of the heap in a dog eat dog utterly ruthless world where there are epic level creatures in large numbers, so it doesn't matter how strong you were in life, you're nothing much in death.

I would not care to count on the Dark One's good will in the afterlife when a tool is no longer of significant use to him. This is a god whose alleged GOOD deed was to try extortion rather than murder.
    Note that outside of Start of Darkness [and other non-web material] Xykon's reason for becoming a lich is entirely to avoid this future: it is completely reasonable that Redcloak's (and Belkar's) future won't be good.

Redcloak's future also entirely depends on the passing the "don't screw this up" test. Should he fail (and the order & gods manage to keep the universe together), he can expect an eternity in the Dark One's torture facilities...

I've been assuming that Belkar would have a bit more of an advantage on the plains of Hades (battlefield), but that is still the best means for him to truly become the "sexy shoeless god of war".

18. - Top - End - #108

One, we can't really prove he wasn't. Not that it matters too much one way or the other because...

Two, of course it isn't the same thing, but it's a decent analogue. Redcloak is the First Supreme Leader of Gobbotopia- he's the one who led their army to glory and conquest against the Azurites. He did it in The Dark One's name, yes, but the crucial bit is that he did it. Not The Dark One. Him. Redcloak.
    Did he even do it in the Dark One's name? I don't recall him being invoked at any point in the battle.

19. - Top - End - #109

I really don't see why that would matter when it comes to worshipping Redcloak, but regardless, from what we've seen, the goblinoids care about Redcloak as their leader more than they do about Redcloak as their high priest, which is an aspect of Redcloak they haven't discussed at all on panel. In fact, IIRC, the only non-cleric goblinoids who talk about the Dark One at all are Right-Eye (eventually in a negative way), Oona (in a neutral and more or less detached way) and Redcloak's potential date in SOD (in a positive and clearly devout way). In my opinion, the vast majority of goblinoids figuratively-worship Redcloak for his own sake, not as an agent of the Dark One, and that's how he'd come to be for-reals-worshipped.
    You just named the other two significant goblinoids who aren’t clerics, Right-Eye only grew detached through the Plan (which was only known by a few) and Oona and the bugbears explicitly don’t care about TDO, or Redcloak and are seperate from the other goblinoids, Jirix is Well-liked and the first thing he brings up is TDO, to massive applause for everything he says.

I think the important thing is he explicitly always puts TDO above him, every single time he leads, showing he does it in a way that won’t cause him to be remembered as a god.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Did he even do it in the Dark One's name? I don't recall him being invoked at any point in the battle.
    Their national flag is three stars of goblin colors under one purple star. When the high priest cedes control, another priest is put in charge. Every indication is that Gobbotopia is a theocracy under TDO.
    I think the important thing is he explicitly always puts TDO above him, every single time he leads, showing he does it in a way that won’t cause him to be remembered as a god.
    In a nutshell, exactly.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-17 at 12:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

I disagree that explicit submission to a higher deity would preclude Redcloak from being worshipped. Obvious real-world religion reference not included.
    ungelic is us

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Honestly, I don't feel as if this is a disqualifier. After all, multiple polytheistic religions have one god 'above' the others (Zeus, Odin, sort of Ra/Osiris). Any new affiliates of TDO pantheon would probably be of lower rank than TDO, whether they worshipped him in life or not. And while in most cases, many of the gods of polytheistic religions are usually of a single deific family, some of them included promotion of real life mortals, such as in Rome and Egypt, where major leaders such as Caesars and Pharaohs would be 'deified' and prayed to after their death.
    In a slightly more controversial example, even monotheistic religions have saints or other major figures that can be to some extent prayed to, even though they are all clearly on a lower order than the one god.

To top it off, Oots has VERY clearly established that these pantheons can readily expand with mortals.

Most other addendums I had on the subject were perfectly well expressed by hroțila.
    Last edited by Darkone; 2019-09-17 at 12:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, i'd say the biggest flaw in the "Redcloak ascends" senarciuo is the one where he gets rewarded. Why should an evil ******* getting to continue being an evil ******* but now as a god, be considered a happy and fulfilling ending?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

BTW, it isn't worrisome at all that a personality cult will turn the worshipped person in a honest-to-God god.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #115

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Again, i'd say the biggest flaw in the "Redcloak ascends" senarciuo is the one where he gets rewarded. Why should an evil ******* getting to continue being an evil ******* but now as a god, be considered a happy and fulfilling ending?
    Yeah I don't think it will happen for this thematic reason but I think that given what we know about the OOTS universe it would be a reasonable possibility if not for story reasons.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Well with another purple god, that increases the chances of there being a purple god who will work with the others to save the world for good. As a side effect of the dark one no longer being the sole gate keeper of sponsorship into the pantheon, the chances of neutral and then good gods ascending to purple also increases.

It is also possible that if Redcloak did ascend, it would be after a heel realization or possibly even full blown heel face turn.

I don't think it's particularly likely he'll ascend at all, but if he does I expect it would be, narratively, to facilitate the world not ending.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Well with another purple god, that increases the chances of there being a purple god who will work with the others to save the world for good. As a side effect of the dark one no longer being the sole gate keeper of sponsorship into the pantheon, the chances of neutral and then good gods ascending to purple also increases.

It is also possible that if Redcloak did ascend, it would be after a heel realization or possibly even full blown heel face turn.

I don't think it's particularly likely he'll ascend at all, but if he does I expect it would be, narratively, to facilitate the world not ending.
    A. Redcloak's still Evil.
    B. Fair point.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe he becomes the Patron Deity of Thresholds- both in that he helps keep the Gates closed, and he's an object lesson in which lines you shouldn't cross.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground

As I understand it, in the OotS-verse a soul's disposition is first done by pantheon. Note that Roy was already separated from the Azurites before any kind of judgement. Also note that the different pantheons have been shown to be able to do basically nothing together without great difficulty.

I'm not sure how exactly Roy was matched with the deva that judged his case, but I think it's fair to assume that the northern gods (collectively) set that policy.

Also I'm not sure if the dark one puts stock in the standard alignment system, so I think a goblin's fate is determined solely by what The Dark One thinks of you.

He did it in his mother's name. page #422, last panel.
    I disagree that explicit submission to a higher deity would preclude Redcloak from being worshipped. Obvious real-world religion reference not included.
    More than one religion does that.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    As I understand it, in the OotS-verse a soul's disposition is first done by pantheon. Note that Roy was already separated from the Azurites before any kind of judgement. Also note that the different pantheons have been shown to be able to do basically nothing together without great difficulty.

I'm not sure how exactly Roy was matched with the deva that judged his case, but I think it's fair to assume that the northern gods (collectively) set that policy.

Also I'm not sure if the dark one puts stock in the standard alignment system, so I think a goblin's fate is determined solely by what The Dark One thinks of you.
    Odds are if there was a Good Goblin (I dunno, maybe that one dead hobgoblin?) who worshipped TDO but wasn't a Cleric they would be sent to the standard Good afterlife? Or maybe they'd go to TDO's place and fight the battles anyways?

We're nearing the point where we probably need to cite someone's work in order to get an idea.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad