New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Problematic Mechanics

What mechanics give you a headache? Make you want to find the 3.5 game designers and pummel them until they admit to their innate inferiority mistakes?

Grapple is the most commonly complained about one but there are others out there which are pretty annoying. Personally, caster level checks, as with dispel magic, have always given my parties conpitions.

What other mechanics do yall take umbridge with?
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2007-10-11 at 02:24 PM.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Problematic Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    What other mechanics do yall take umbridge with?
    * Spell Saves vs. Spell Resistance. I don't see why you need two completely different mechanics to resist spell effects. If you want to give a creature resistance to magic, give it higher saves or a save bonus vs. spells.

Of course, it's more complicated than that when you want to get into area effects and spells without saves. Still, the existence of two separate mechanics for what should be one ability just bugs me.

* Concealment vs. AC. Again, why two separate mechanics for what should be the same effect? If someone is harder to hit, then give them an AC bonus and be done with it. Fewer rolls means a faster game.

And yeah, it's not that simple, when you want to apply a "50% of your attacks miss" effect to a fighter that can hit you on anything higher than a 4 while his buddy the mage has to roll a 16 on his crossbow.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Turn Undead. They could have just said "OK, spell-like ability, all undead withing such-and-such radius must make a Will save vs. DC 10 + 1/2 cleric level + Cha modifier". Instead, you have to roll against one table to determine which undead you're able to turn in the first place, then against another table to find your turning "damage", which is actually hit dice, not resembling anything else in the game called "damage", to determine how many you affect (which might be zero after all), and then you have to determine if they're just turned, or destroyed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Save-or-suck and save-or-die abilities, or anything that can finish a campaign with one single failed roll, in one round.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The various conditions such as sickened or stunned. They even introduce a new one in races of the wild!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn undead. There's a cleric in my party, and I'm dreading going against undead just for that reason. I agree about the will save, and if they fail by a certain amount then...poof! Destroyed instead of turned.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are no mechanics covering headaches

I still need to look up the various conditions when I encounter one and, more seriously, the number of spells out there is ridiculously high. No one with a job can do more than skimming and read just a handful of them, meaning that casters are too hard to play (unless you go online and look which ones you really have to read - again, you have someone else making the selection and use their work).

I agree that turning and SR/Saves are redundant mechanics but they're not that hard because they are -well- two. I can read two needless mechanics, I cannot read 300 needless spells.
    Last edited by Rad; 2007-10-12 at 06:29 AM.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub