The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default (closed to new interest) Defenestration from the Tower of the Moon

The Tower of the Moon soars above the city of Moontower, tall and slender, gleaming in sunlight or moonlight and luminous on dark nights, tethered to ground only by a spiraling staircase a hundred feet high. Below it the city sprawls within its turreted walls, open at one side to the river Ullin with its docks and fishing boats and occasional ships piloted upstream by the mysterious gill-throated Traders from a distant land. Across the river from Moontower, the twinned city of Sun Citadel squats behind its docklands within its own parapets, baking by day and steaming by night. Around both cities, farmlands extend miles wide to the edge of the mysterious jungle.

This evening King Bryce is expected to arrive in Moontower from his fortress at Greycliff, near Lake Duram. Tonight he will receive the Dark Anointing, then the next day proceed to Sun Citadel for the Bright Anointing. His advance scouts seem not to have discovered the revolutionary plot of which the players' characters are aware: a plan to murder the king!

The players' characters may be involved in the plot, or trying to prevent it, or passively ignoring it, or hoping that it doesn't actually happen. Each character knows at least one of the others through a favor granted, a favor owed, or a fault forgiven. Action will open with the PCs gathered side by side in a public square to witness an execution by flogging. The conviction and sentence are about to be read ...

Setting
    Rich Burlew's New World - the city of Moontower in the kingdom Fauchard.
    Rules
    Risus - because I have a sweet spot for the very simple mechanics.
    Themes
    Religion, revolution, class struggle, mayhem
    Alignments
    None / any
    "Races"
    Thrannish humans, Kylnnic humans, Westling humans, Riverine humans, Dhartan humans, human Children of Twelve, gnomes
    Cliches ("classes") Fighters, rogues, barbarians
    Players
    Three to four

Changes from the Giant's version
    Instead of being an independent city state under the charter granted by late King Royce, Moontower has been de facto annexed by King Bryce of Fauchard; two hundred of his cavalry are garrisoned in a hastily built palisade just outside the city walls.

Changes from standard Risus
    The Cecilia Option Whenever a player misses a Target Number, their character loses one die from the cliche that was used for the roll. This die can be regained by making a successful roll using the same cliche, or as follows: Suntouched / Moontouched Every character is touched either by the sun or the moon. Those touched by the sun regain one lost die from each cliche each time the sun rises; those touched by the moon regain dice when the moon rises.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-08-08 at 08:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Defenestration from the Tower of the Moon

This sounds fun and interesting. Two things though, I am unfamiliar with the setting and I have never played Risus. If neither of these are an issue, I'd be glad to submit a character. (Currently thinking a female barbarian who has lived here for some time but still doesn't get why some things are done the way they are.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Your barbarian would be a Westling who somehow got separated from her viking crew and went a long way upriver on the Ullin ...

Risus is really simple. The rules at the link above are four pages long.

Character creation Pick a main Cliche, which is how your character mainly thinks of herself. Assign some dice to it (no more than 4, probably no less than 3 because it is your character's main identity). Now you have 6 or 7 dice remaining. Assign them among two other Cliches, which are ancillary aspects of your character - all Risus player characters are multi-dimensional.

Most NPCs are one dimensional, more important ones are two dimensional.

Conflict / action resolution Roll the dice in opposed Cliches. Higher number wins a single action conflict; highest die wins each round of a protracted conflict; loser discards a die. Repeat until someone gives up or loses all their dice. Or roll the dice of your character's Cliche against a Target Number that I will assign and tell you before you decide to attempt the action. If you fail you discard a die. You regain dice as mentioned in first post.

That's really about it.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-07-26 at 03:34 PM. Reason: or she could be a Riverine human who came south across the high plains and through the farmlands to trade something, then just stayed around.

4. - Top - End - #4

Ok. I like the Westling idea.

As for her main aspect, she thinks of herself as an Unstoppable Axe-Weilding Death Maker. Let's set that to a 4.

The first ancillary aspect...Unafraid to Speak Her Mind. Despite not being accustomed to the society she finds herself in, her demeanor allows her a fair amount of leeway in speaking her mind. And that'll be a 3.

As for her final aspect...I will need to think about that for a bit.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I like what you've proposed so far. I see your nameless valkyrie as a frequenter of back alleys and low dives, part of the hidden life of the Church City - maybe an enforcer for the Clutching Hand or some smaller wannabe organization. This would have brought her into the circles where she would hear of an assassination plot, possibly from one of the thugs who is hired to carry it out. Or is she perhaps meant to be one of the executors?

For the third and maybe fourth aspects, consider two things that contrast with the main aspects. {Adjective} {Role} who {Action} may be helpful in formatting these lesser aspects. Alternatively, just go with broader traits like "Westling" or "Woman of Action," each of which will become tangential to her main identity. She would be a very different character if she had Woman of Action 4, Unstoppable Axe-Wielding Death Maker 2.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Iím picturing a knight from Vertland, who was raised into the vanguard of Royceís forces as a young man and became a small member of the royal gaurd. He was loyal to Aldenís ideals and defense of the people, believing him to the best possible king for the common people. He maintains an image of valour and style but in truth is a grizzled and ruthless veteran who will do what must be done to protect the interests and people of his present kingdom.

Main Aspect:
    Veteran Knight: 4

Side Aspects:
    Noble Savior Faire: 3
    Leader of Men: 3
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-29 at 03:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I like the knight. He seems compatible with the axewife. Perhaps they met in a rough tavern where the knight went to relax while young King Alden was visiting the'Cities for his own annual anointments. Could the two of you collaborate to produce a story of how they know and trust each other?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: (seeking scoundrels and ruffians) Defenestration from the Tower of the Moon

Sure, they seem like they could easily have developed a mutual respect, potentially after a hostile starting situation due to presumptions about each otherís culture.

Itís possible Sir Adrian contracted the axemaiden for discrete mercenary work, or they fought together in the past to overcome some minor threat to both thier groups. Really, Iím up for most things depending on what makes sense with the other details.

9. - Top - End - #9

Default Re: (seeking scoundrels and ruffians) Defenestration from the Tower of the Moon

Oh, I just thought of something.

As a westerling, she would've spent a lot of time learning to navigate travel through the see. But she soon realized she was exceptional proficient at navigating by the stars.

So for her final aspect I will say Star-Gazing Navigator 3.

---

As to her relationship with the knight, I like the idea that she is a sword for hire and was once forced to cross blades with the knight. She later found herself on the same "payroll" as the knight and the two got to know each other.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feirgon View Post
    Oh, I just thought of something.

As a westerling, she would've spent a lot of time learning to navigate travel through the see. But she soon realized she was exceptional proficient at navigating by the stars.

So for her final aspect I will say Star-Gazing Navigator 3.

---

As to her relationship with the knight, I like the idea that she is a sword for hire and was once forced to cross blades with the knight. She later found herself on the same "payroll" as the knight and the two got to know each other.
    All of that works, though Iíld like to know how long youíve been in this particular part of the world instead of in the westerling home areas. Was the shift from foes to allies very quick or was there time to naturally remove tensions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Risus' option for non-deadly combat outcomes lends itself to this back story. Just for the heck of it, conduct and narrate a combat in this thread to determine who won and how they treated the loser. I'm available for hints and help with the rules as needed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK, why not Iíll start:

Sir Adrian was on a lighter riding horse instead of his regular pachyderm on this mission, the caravan sliding through the muddy path. Uneven ground and thick woods meant this worn-out narrow trail was thier best option to cut through this region, bringing the goods and information alike to a number of semi-independent baronies that could be swayed towards the guidance of his lord, Prince Alden. The Kingís failing health was all to clear and both these lands and his own estates would do better under Aldenís guidance.

Still even as he rode, he could feel the hairs stand up on the back of his neck. Whether it was an ambush or merely a blocked road that waited ahead of him he would be ready for any who wished to cross blades.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Combat is initiated by the aggressor selecting a cliche and making a roll. The defender then selects their cliche and makes their roll. Once combat commences, the winner of each round narrates actions and results - for both parties.

14. - Top - End - #14

A caravan of stolen documents was to be travelling this way. The king wanted the documents, but didn't want to risk open hostilities so this small group was sent to quickly retrieve that which was stolen. At least, that is the story the leader of this small group was saying.

Shayula didn't trust the story, but the pay was too good to argue. Though, perhaps that was the point.

"Shay, your job is to occupy the strongest guard while Tom and Berand retrieve the documents. The rest of us will distract the other guards.

Also, try to keep the bloodshed to a minimum, the king doesn't want a pile of dead bodies without an explanation."

Shayala nodded but eyed the small man carefully as he spoke. Half of her earnings were dependent on the successful conclusion of this mission, so she would put her best effort in following this request.

---

At about midday the caravan approached. The target wagon was marked and the assault began. Shayala spotted a well armed individual on horseback and set to knocking him to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Unstoppable Axe-Weilding Death Maker: (4d6)[3][3][1][5](12)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Letís see who narrates next:
    (4d6)[1][2][1][6](10)

Dammit, two one and a two.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-31 at 01:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

N.b. The highest single die wins each round of the protracted conflict ... jbe, you narrate next.

I like how you've introduced small-scale armed conflict between the dying king and his younger son whom everyone thinks to be so pure of heart.

As you're narrating so far, the Teaming Up rules won't apply to the conflict between player characters ... I'm going to rule that the outcome for your two combatants will determine the entire conflict.

Interestingly, out of all my games this is the one that has sucked me into more-than-daily posting. And it hasn't officially begun! Feel no mandate to post more frequently ... I'll try to ramp back a little myself.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    N.b. The highest single die wins each round of the protracted conflict ... jbe, you narrate next.

I like how you've introduced small-scale armed conflict between the dying king and his younger son whom everyone thinks to be so pure of heart.

As you're narrating so far, the Teaming Up rules won't apply to the conflict between player characters ... I'm going to rule that the outcome for your two combatants will determine the entire conflict.

Interestingly, out of all my games this is the one that has sucked me into more-than-daily posting. And it hasn't officially begun! Feel no mandate to post more frequently ... I'll try to ramp back a little myself.
    Having an engaged GM is not something that needs to be ramped back. It makes for a more interesting game .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: (seeking scoundrels and ruffians) Defenestration from the Tower of the Mo

OOC: To be fair, in this situation I imagine everyone is trying to consolidate their own power and co-opting members of the kingís government to do so. Direct action by the apparently dying King seems less likely.

IC: Sir Adrian was quick to react when a number of brigands began charging across the muddy ground towards the caravan. He cried out for the caravan to make haste, but outrunning them completely was not an option.

He dismounted from this horse Ill suited for combat just as a Westerling warrior lept towards him. Hair cut longer than any civilesed man out to have, and thinner and lighter than any of the knight he would normally fight. Still he clearly knew how to use an axe. While his descent from the horse had given him momentum he needed space to get out his blade. Thus, he simply rushed the warrior in a brutal tackle, taking an axe blow on the thougher parts of his armour but slamming the opposing warrior hard into the dirt. With a few seconds relief while his foe found thier feet he drew his sword and shield and tried to drive them back.

(4d6)[1][5][1][3](10) Roll: 5
    For who narrates the next stretch.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-08-01 at 03:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Feirgon, you roll 3d6 this time - the Risus "death spiral" taking effect.

20. - Top - End - #20

Shayala let out a cough as she hit the ground. The knight was nimbler than she had assumed he would be. But she knew herself to be more agile, without the extra bulk of heavy armor slowing her down.

The key was to use this to her advantage, but she had already lost much of her momentum. Getting to her feet, she prepared to meet her axe to his sword.

(3d6)[2][1][2](5)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Adrian staggered under the furious blows of the oncoming assault, the tackle and this new hard melee being harder than it once would have been. The move giving him space at the cost of energy. Behind him, the horse reared and panicked and while he feared for the lives of his men diverting his focus could cost him his life under this assault.

Still, where young men may have tried to end it swiftly he instead knew to hold his ground, turning away axe strikes with his shield or the hardest parts of his armour and allowing the barbarian before him to commit more and more. He let himself slide backwards through the mud as wild strikes came from every direction. Then a moment of opportunity arrived and he lunged forwards. The wild warriorís next dodge kept the blade from his foes heart but could not prevent a long shallow cut down his foeís side.

Run or die you son of a dog! He bellowed as they both pulled away and readied for the next clash.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

If she continues fighting then Valiant Knight: (4d6)[6][3][5][6](20)
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-08-01 at 12:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Son...?

For a short moment her mind left the combat and turned inward.

I fear I will never truly understand these people.

After regaining her train of thought, she then focused on her surroundings. She could see that the others were having just as much trouble as she was.

I need to distract this knight for a bit longer. But, perhaps the fight has already been lost.

The doubt filled her mind as she moved laterally to strike at the side of her opponent.

(2d6)[5][2](7)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The blow came close to Adrianís side but was blocked by his hefty shield. As they made contact he swung his blade with the other hand to take his foes attention. Then he stepped in close and swept his knee up from between her legs the force throwing her backwards stumbling and badly bruised.

From his own feeling and the reactions of the axe-wielding figure before him he finally realised whatís going on and takes a long look as she struggles to her feet.

So theyíre desperate enough to send barbarian women in, run on home to your farther girl before Iím forced to spill more of your blood.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Forgot my dice for next round: (4d6)[2][5][5][4](16)

25. - Top - End - #25

Quick question, if a person decides to retreat from combat (before they run out of dice), are the allowed to narrate as such? Or does the combat continue until one party is completely out of dice?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

For consistency with the Risus rules for teaming up, I will rule that if you surrender or retreat you give up one die and your opponent gets to narrate what happens - but if you don't like that, you can re-engage.

Note that you can retreat without penalty if you win a round of combat and narrate that as the outcome.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Looking at the dice, I notice there's a tie for highest die (5) but jbe had the next highest die (also 5). Jbe wins this round and feirgon is down to one die in primary cliche. // Two options: surrender, or switch to an Inappropriate Cliche. // For the sake of brevity, I'm going to narrate a surrender as follows. //
    Looking around, Shayala notices that her comrades are on the ground or running away or already gone. Her employer is nowhere to be seen. Tom and Berand were on their bellies with swords to their necks. Things had fallen apart.//"Yield," said the man she had fought. "And I'll let you live like your comrades. Drop your axe."//Reluctantly, she did so.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    Looking at the dice, I notice there's a tie for highest die (5) but jbe had the next highest die (also 5). Jbe wins this round and feirgon is down to one die in primary cliche. // Two options: surrender, or switch to an Inappropriate Cliche. // For the sake of brevity, I'm going to narrate a surrender as follows. //
    Looking around, Shayala notices that her comrades are on the ground or running away or already gone. Her employer is nowhere to be seen. Tom and Berand were on their bellies with swords to their necks. Things had fallen apart.//"Yield," said the man she had fought. "And I'll let you live like your comrades. Drop your axe."//Reluctantly, she did so.
    I like this, Shayala wouldn't risk sacrifice her life for something she didn't truly trust.
    Last edited by Feirgon; 2019-08-06 at 11:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I like this, but given that medical punishments tended towards mutilation and execution rather than ncarceration would her band retreating allow the main story to make more sense?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I was thinking that since Sir Adrian's mission is clandestine, he wouldn't be handing anyone over to authorities for punishment.