New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Drifting Worlds IC

Thorne looks around, "Could be something in this cavern, how about we split up to cover ground. Each group heading in opposite directions. We don't go more than a few minutes in either direction. If something is spotted, or there's no sign of anything inside of about five minutes of walking, turn around and meet up back here. Sound good?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm fine with this, or sticking together in a single group and exploring the cavern more slowly. Or ignoring the cavern and following the aqueduct. But let's not spend too much time discussing.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-12-06 at 06:57 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian's experience with monster hunting makes his palms sweat and heart rate elevate. He suddenly has a bad feeling about splitting up, remembering losing several men on an expedition due to just that very move. He maintains a stoic poker face, reminding himself he's not the novice he once was - and while the surroundings were unfamiliar, the prospect of danger was one he'd lived through dozens of times thanks to his innate abilities, this was his element.

"We stick together. We don't know what lured Firbek here in the first place, so it could be dangerous to be alone." Anvillian's voice comes out with the authority and confidence of an experienced squad leader. "We'll explore each option one by one, starting by going up the cavern."

Anvillian takes point, maintaining his vigilance as he begins to lead the group up cavern.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-06 at 08:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

something about some of the witnesses, thought kamyrn, something was off, something has been off about the whole thing. Standing here looking at the three directions of choice to travel and after listening to the others. I am not so sure the information we gained was truthful and as far as going a separate direction by our selves for any length of time just seems like trouble all things considered

*Edit
    cant roll in an edit
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-12-08 at 03:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

After some thought looking at the passage ways kamryn marches forward with Anvillian scouting carefully

Spoiler: rolls & checks as needed
    Show

Acrobatics (1d20+19)[37]
    Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (1d20+16)[29]
    Knowledge (Geography) (1d20+16)[35]
    Perception (1d20+31)[50]
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-12-08 at 08:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne shrugs at the objection, he wasn't expecting trouble in here. But being particularly cautious rarely hurts. He moves along in the direction Anvillian picked.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrinor follows along silently. He has always been the strong silent type. Besides which, he has little to contribute right now, since his abilities point more to shapeshifting, which would only prove useful should they actually encounter actual danger. He stays at the back of the group, since he needs the extra few moments provided in case of attack, in order to change shape into something useful for battle against whatever enemy they may face.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes it is easier to notice something when it is gone. Deep in this cave very little other than insects seem to of traveled this way, the soft dirt shows no larger shapes or tracks. Just an abundance of stalagmites and stalactite. With this terrain Kamryn quickly spots what were the tell tale signs of foot fall on the aqueduct distinctly missing from the current terrain. The group turns around and back tracks after this was pointed out. All told the detour seems to of wasted about 30 minutes.

On the plus side you now have an idea of what tracks to look for and only two directions to check.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-12-09 at 12:20 PM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

searching for signs of the tracks Kamryn looks around.

Perception (1d20+31)[51] * oh there it is
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-12-09 at 05:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    searching for signs of the tracks Kamryn looks around.

Perception [roll0] * oh there it is
    OOC: Going to pretend you rolled survival to follow the tracks. 43 beats dc 32.

I need to get perception checks from every one.

IC: The party heads down the cavern following the tracks. Who ever made these tracks spent some effort to cover their foot steps. This added difficultly stops after about 30 minutes, who ever it was must of decided he no longer was at risk of the casual investigation. You also find evidence of dragged weights, likely unconscious bodies. The path so far has been mostly linear, there are openings all about you, however nothing a medium creature could get though easily. You follow the trail a while longer and the cavern opens up into a small chamber.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrinor examines the footprints carefully, but he is not very skilled at following or discerning tracks. Fortunately, his vision is pretty good, so he may pick them out even if he doesn't immediately recognise them as actual tracks. He just needs to see the things the trackers in the group can identify. He wanders around the chamber, examining the exits. When told what they are, he can spot the marks of weights being moved, but can't spot any new ones himself.

(1d20+27)[39] Perception

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

after following the tracks for a while down the cavern up to where it opens up into a small chamber. looking about carefully
    Perception (spot) (1d20+31)[38]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne helps the others in trying to follow these tracks.

Show
    perception (1d20+30)[46]
    survival (1d20+18)[29]

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

to save time feel free to roll initiative.
    Kamryn's Initiative (1d20+10)[20]

* Action: study for for 1 round to possibly Assassinate

Studied Target (Ex): presuming this is what she has been tracking... as move action +4 to attack, damage & DC's

Quarry (Ex): presuming this is what she has been tracking...+2 to attack, and all critical threats against quarry are automatically confirmed.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Initiative (1d20+6)[25].

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

As the party moves foreward they are surprised as the walls seem to come alive and a swarm of insects seems to form out of no where around Andrinor. The buzzing is distracting and the bites are relentless.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Unsure what to do about a swarm of insects, Anvillian mentally activates his Shirt of Wraith Stalking. "What is this?" Anvillian inquires scanning the dark recesses of the cavern for a source.

Perception: (1d20+33)[47]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thorne moves up and retrieves his shotgun rather than the rifle he so lovingly maintains. Aiming low and to the side of Andrinor, he fires both barrels at the swarm.

Show
    Okay, so scatter weapon rules are weird, especially when one tries to match them to the weird rules governing swarms. A scatter weapon affects every target in a cone area, but instead of a reflex save or something of the sort, the shooter rolls a separate attack roll for everyone within range.

So, when we look at the RAW for swarms:
    -because it affects an area, swarms take +50% damage.
    -but its a weapon, so swarms take -50% damage if they're tiny critters, and none at all if they're smaller than that.

The latter bit makes no sense in this context. Sure, stab a swarm with a dagger and you're not going to do anything, because at best you killed one out of hundreds. But shoot a swarm with a shotgun and you're going to hit a lot more than one individual in said swarm. Not least because if they weren't being treated as one entity for convenience, by the rules I'd be rolling attack rolls vs the AC of every single individual member of the swarm (not that any of us would want that)

I'd be inclined to split the difference, have scatterguns be one of the few nonmagic things that work fine on swarms, with no bonus or penalties to damage. But that's not my call, so for now at least, I'm just going to roll two scatter shot attacks and damage, and let the DM decide how to apply things. If they do very little, oh well, learning experience for Thorne not to try that again. To confirm I'm hoping to catch half of the swarm in the AOE without touching Andrinor.

Note that the double barreled shotgun has two enchantments on it, the shocking property and the limning property. The latter outlines struck creatures in an effect similar to faerie fire for 1 round

Barrel #1 attack (1d20+30)[39] damage (1d8+15)[20] electric damage (1d6)[4]
    Barrel #2 attack (1d20+30)[46] damage (1d8+15)[23] electric damage (1d6)[6]

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Kamryn drawing both blades, staying out of reach of the swarm, studying the swarm intently looking for any vulnerabilities.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

There is a flash of light in the darkness from the shotgun going off. Afterward there is a soft glow from seemingly random insects buzzing about. The soft shadows seem to dance around the room, and a number of dead bugs lie on the ground.

Anvillian doesn't see anything out of the ordinary, just a swarm of insects. Some sort of cave mosquitoes.

Kamryn is done studying the swarm.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

*OOC does the swarm do anything ?

Round 2
    Studied Target (Ex): >> Swarm <<
    Quarry (Ex): all critical threats against >> Swarm << are automatically confirmed.
    Assassinate: >> Swarm << is denied dex to ac, on each hit foe make fort save DC 22, fail and dies, otherwise takes sneak damage, then immune for 24 hours [Sneak Attack: for each and every attack that >> Swarm << is denied dex]

Move: Fly 60ft (perfect)

Attack ( Assassinate >> Swarm << )
    (weapons make no sound) Hasted
    PH:(18-20x3): (1d20+40)[42] ; (1d20+40)[56] ; (1d20+35)[41] ; (1d20+30)[49] ; (1d20+25)[28]

OH:(18-20x2): (1d20+35)[45] ; (1d20+35)[46] ; (1d20+30)[45] ; (1d20+25)[28]

Damage
    PH: (3d6+23)[31] ; (3d6+23)[36] ; (3d6+23)[36] ; (3d6+23)[37] ; (3d6+23)[32]
    Undead Swarm? (1d6)[3] ; (1d6)[5] ; (1d6)[5] ; (1d6)[3] ; (1d6)[2]

OH: [roll2d8+16[/roll] ; [roll2d8+16[/roll] ; [roll2d8+16[/roll] ; [roll2d8+16[/roll]
    *edit rolled in OOC as this is messed up
    OH: (2d8+16)[24] ; (2d8+16)[18] ; (2d8+16)[26] ; (2d8+16)[24]

Sneak Attack
    PH: (5d6)[18] ; (5d6)[23] ; (5d6)[17] ; (5d6)[18] ; (5d6)[18]
    OH: (5d6)[17] ; (5d6)[17] ; (5d6)[21] ; (5d6)[11]
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-12-17 at 01:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrinor takes the bites with some surprise, but also with quick thinking. He immediately changes form into that of an earth elemental, then drops beneath the surface of the cave, instantly ridding himself of the swarm, which can't follow beneath the ground. He then starts moving away from where the swarm is located, trying to get to a clear area where he can rise back up above the ground safely.

OOC: Andrinor moves to square I-16. His fortitude roll is (1d20+21)[27]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    To those now in the swarms space, on your turn take
    (4d6)[14] damage
    (1d6)[3] bleed
    Casting a spell requires a 20 + spell level concentrate. Doing any other thoughtful activity requires a flat dc 20 concentrate.

Also I need a fort save.

The swarm of insects looks for its next meal. They drift with surprising speed over to Kamryn and Thorne. As they land and bite you can see that they are in fact some sort of mosquito.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-12-19 at 10:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrinor attempts to move out of the way, but the swarm is distracting him to a great extent, making the task harder.

OOC: Continuation of the last post, with the same actions, but now with my Concentration check.
    Concentration vs DC 29: (1d20+24)[32]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Gah, get off me you filthy little..." Thorn slaps a hand over a particular spot on his forearm, and vanishes in a flash of light, reappearing a short distance away. He reaches into his pack and pulls out a large jar of greyish paste. "Come everyone, get a handful of this stuff, insects hate it."

Show
    Activating Light Rune to teleport 30' towards the entrance, then pulling out my stash of vermin repellent. Vermin swarms must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to even approach a character who has applied some of that stuff to themselves.
    Fort save (1d20+21)[22]
    Hmph, well I bombed the save...
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-12-21 at 08:33 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian moves to J13, drawing his Falchion as he travels. He announces "Stay focused, we can handle these mosquitoes." as he confidently swipes his blade in a Rallying Strike.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Free action, activate Holy Fury, swift action, spend 1 point on Furious Strike +4 to hit and 2d6 damage.

Trading 5 chance to hit for Stone Power, upon a successful hit, I'll gain 10 Temporary HP.
    Attack using Rallying Strike.
    (1d20+30)[36] to hit
    It may deal no damage due to the swarm's nature, but if it does it deals,
    (2d4+18)[25] plus (2d6)[5] damage.

If the attack is successful (not sure if that means hits or deals damage) and the enemy's alignment isn't LG, all allies within 30ft are healed for (3d6+15)[20] HP.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

The swarm seems undeterred by the barrage of attacks. The mosquitoes move to there new targets Thorne and Anvillian. There they feast on the scarlet nectar of their blood.

Spoiler: damage
    Show
    (4d6)[15] damage
    (1d6)[5] bleed

remember to roll 1d6 bleed damage at the start of each round, until you have healing. Which happened last round.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anvillian is undeterred by the swarm, he plants his feet and brings his weapon down unleashing a blast of intense air pressure from his mighty swing. "Hopefully this will do them in!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Bleed damage (1d6)[4] - soaked on my temporary HP from hitting the enemy previously.

Save against Distraction: Activate Aura of Perfect Order for a result of 26.

Standard action: Activate Castigating Strike (1d20+35)[40] (+4 from Furious Counterstrike included) to hit. On a successful hit deals (2d4+18)[23] (+4 to the damage roll, I forgot to include Furious Counterstrike in this roll because I'm operating under the assumption a slashing weapon is useless against this enemy) weapon damage plus (8d6)[34] divine energy damage and requires a Fort save DC 22 or the opponent takes a -2 penalty to attacks for 10 rounds.

Secondary effect all opponents within 30ft must make a Fort save DC 22 or take (5d6)[20] damage and suffer the -2 penalty to attacks for 10 rounds (unclear if this also includes the primary target as it is also a target within 30ft, your call here, redfeline. The penalties wouldn't stack as they are from the same source, but the damage would).

Swift action, expend a Holy Fury point to recover 20 HP, removing all damage from my Steeley Resolve pool.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-27 at 08:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frustrated that his normally trustworthy insect repelling ointment has failed him, Thorne steps away from the swarm, quickly reloading both barrels of his shotgun and firing again.

Show
    Activating Wood Rune to add damage to first attack. In addition, target technically takes 5 bleed damage, though I'm not sure how that works with swarms.
    (1d20+30)[34] (1d8+15)[22] extra damage (3d6)[9]
    (1d20+30)[34] (1d8+15)[17]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

As Thorne reloads his trusty shotgun the swarm of mosquito's erupt into a shower of divine energy and sparks. Each bug a bright flicker as its life is snuffed out. Leaving behind only cinders, an itchy rash, and one case of malaria.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Satisfied that the mosquitoes are a thing of the past Anvillian straightens up, returning Razor's Edge to its scabbard.
    "That was unexpected. Do any of you happen to know if those insects are normal for a cave like this? I'm concerned their presence hints at something more nefarious."