The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Drifting Worlds OOC

Welcome every one please pick a speech color and repost your character sheets.

The IC form is here. Please wait to post IC after I add an initial response to each of you.

edit:

Who here took mythic ranks? Was it only Thorne?

Player Character Race/class
    Samduke Kamryn Ogre Slayer
    Belgareth Caen, 'The Accuser' Half Orc Inquisitor
    Daishain Nikolaos Thorne Human Gunslinger/Commander/Fighter
    Aegis013 Anvillian "Siegebreaker" Human Hellreaver
    Paradox26 Andrinor Human Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Spoiler: original post
    Show
    Well Bel, playing a game with you is still on my to do list. I have some ideas I've been playing with as well. So I have few questions.

The setting I am picturing has limited race options, (core, orc, lizard folk, ogre). Is that all right or do you want full freedom?

Can I open this to pathfinder materials. In particular the setting uses mythic rules, players may opt in or out of them as the story progresses. The rest of pathfinder may be treated like homebrew.

I am considering making this a low magic setting. No work done here yet, so this would be an easy veto.

My setting offers reasons not to travel between planes, mostly just a heads up here.

Very important, I have a new born, so I may not post every day, and I may do more from my phone. Just a word of warning.

Spoiler: The Sixteen
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder with 3.5 materials.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrew setting, a world of floating islands because that is always epic.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Bel + 3

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    These Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Bottom of Level 18.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    265,000 we are using ABP Players will count as one level higher on the chart. (Start at 19)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Anything first-party on the PFSRD is fair game. Spheres of Power and Might (as well as Champions of the Spheres) are all in. Path of War is in. Possibly dragon mag items upon request.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Core, goblin, orc, ogre and tengu only. No templates on character creation.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Roll 2 sets of 4d6b3 seven times, drop any score you please, and choose one of the sets. If you aren't happy with your rolls, take a 25-point buy. You can choose to use the point-buy AFTER you roll.
    HP is max at first, average round up afterwards.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is in use. Willing to waive Alignment restrictions for some classes, just ask and give me a good justification.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multi class as much as you want

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players generally make their own rolls, but I may roll perception checks and saves for them on occasion in the name of keeping the game moving along.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    • Spheres is in, PoW is in
    • Background Skills are in
    • Two Traits, Three with a Drawback.
    • Fractional Saves/BAB
    • No PvP
    • see racial adjustments for ogre, elf, and gnome

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Cover what needs to be covered. I also want a quick break down on where your character found any magic items. See Low Magic rules under this. (Exception: potions, scrolls, elixers, wands, other one shot items)

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    I think roleplay and hack / slash mostly

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    SRD first party, first party 3.5, drag mag on request, spheres of power wiki but only their first party, Path of War.

Spoiler: Low Magic
    Show
    I put a fair amount of thought into how to capture low magic at such a high level. What I came up with was fewer stronger magic items.
    • Automatic bonus progression, you count as 1 level higher.
    • You may have 8 permanent magic items, including staves.
    • Existing items of the same kind can be combined at no cost. For example: ring of freedom of movement and sustenance.
    • Existing items of different kinds can be combined for an extra 10% the cost of the unmatching item. For example: ring of freedom of movement and striding and springing. The boot enchanment costs extra.
    • Magic staves: I am stealing mechanics from dnd 5e, they have 15 charges and at dawn each day they recover 1d10+2 charges
    • Item crafters: You may have an extra 2 permanent items.

Spoiler: social class system
    Show

High born: Halfling, dwarf, goblin, lizard folk, ogre
    Low Born: Tengu, orc, human, elf, gnome, (1/2 orc and elf)
    noble: Mythic:
    Spoiler: orginal post
    Show
    you can trade out 1 level for 1 rank of mythic 1 time if you want to be noble.

So you can be level 17 mythic 1.

Race is a big factor here as each continent has 2 races, one is considered low class, the other mid class, high class is composed of those the gods have set aside and given the divine right to rule. They may be of either group of races.

So the class system in mind, I will explain low magic and how I will enforce it. I will also say full magic transparency, so any caster equivalent (book of 9 swords etc.). So 1% of the population has magic, less know it and less still have it at a significant level (like 10th or higher.) It is considered so valuable that those that have it are children of the state, or more accurately property of the state. More of the mechanics there later.

Going back to the class system magic users are sort of a separate group. They have the same three levels with upper class being property of the emperor.

Spoiler: continents
    Show
    So on to the continents.

Spoiler: E'rifu
    Show
    Little rain lands on the parched sands of E'rifu. The continents is dominated by a central desert of surrounded by a ring of volcanoes. A large river drains the few waters of the area in the south. These harsh lands gave birth to clans of gnomish tinkers governed by ogre merchants.

Spoiler: Tewo
    Show
    Mists cover the rain forests and swamps of Te'wo. Warm jungles line the east, while the west has colder swamp lands. The middle is dominated by a vast inland sea of salty waters. This is the where lizard folk medicine reside with elven fishing lore.

Spoiler: Ati'vi
    Show
    Orchards of deciduous trees are speckled along the rolling hills and lush fertile fields. This continent is slightly higher in the south and along the the eastern ridges placing a fresh water ocean in the north west corner. It is also unique among the continents having a sizable land mass to its south eastern edge. The two are joined by the longest bridge in the world. Humans labor under the careful watch of goblins here.

Spoiler: Enotse
    Show
    Giant peaks of granite, diorite, and gabbro form a loose L shape. Their peaks covered in snow and there bases lined in evergreen forests. In these lands dwarf clans live in mine warm earth and orcs cut lumber on cold surface.

Spoiler: Dniwa
    Show
    Nearly as dry as E'rifu, Dniwa is arid dry mass of canyons, plateaus, and grasslands. Dniwa is deceptively cold at night. Halfings here have bred the finest sheep and cattle, while tengu lead the beasts between fertile grounds.

Spoiler: The twilight sea
    Show
    The area around each continent is called the twilight sea at its center sits the capital city. Around that city the other continents drift slowly from place to place in a predictable pattern. So much so that the ten month calendar is based on the two times each of continents hits there point of furthest travel. While the continents float the various compass directions, they do not change elevation.

Dniwa is always the highest in the sky, soaring well above the cold peaks of Enotse. Ati'vi sits just under the level of the capital city so close that legend once spoke of a king who made a tower so tall the bottom of the capital city scraped it as the two past by, knocking over the tower and crushing the foolish goblin who built it. Tewo sits in the bank of clouds produced by the waters falling from above. E'rifu sits as the bottom land mass closest to where the sun sleeps and thus has the longest and hottest days.

So lets talk airships.

Pathfinder has 1 airship and it is a colossal one. I feel this world would have more options than the one size make and model. So in our setting we have balloons and some steam power at best. I know sails wouldn't work in reality but for fun we are going to say they work. So you could for example have a warship pulled by 4 17 hd Rocs.

This will be a work in progress so please give me your opinions.

So start buy picking and buying a land or sea vehicle for general size. It's shape can look like you want it too. Increase the cost by the amount listed under balloons.

Spoiler: Propulsion
    Show

• If you want to use sails, pick from the sea vehicle list and the sail is included in the price. It moves at the speed given.
    • Pulled most land vehicles default to this. For a sea vehicle the speed is 2x the pulling creature, max of 240ft. The creature must be within 2 size categories of the ship. The number of creatures needed is 1 if >= to ship size, 2 if one size less, 4 if 2 sizes less.
    • Steam engine This loud slow moving propeller is deceptively fast, requiring no wind and not requiring the animals to stop and rest on the ship every so often is a large advantage. For an extra 20% of the ships cost you can have this new invention added by gnomes. It has a maximum speed of the listed amount on the vehicle or 70ft which ever is greater. [engines require coal and water]
    • Masterwork steam engine Live the above but an ogre watches to make sure the gnomes don't scam you. For 40% of the vehicles cost you get a slightly less loud faster moving propeller. Max speed is double the listed vehicle or 300ft which ever is greater. [engines require coal and water]

Spoiler: Balloons
    Show

Types of balloons
    • Dinosaur leather: The standard is both light weight and durable. The standard costs 10% of the vehicle.
    • Silk: This light weight fabric can be made 3 layers thick and air tight. Costs 20% of the vehicle The end result is difficult to damage and adds 30ft of movement to the ships speed.
    • Float stone: These naturally floating stones are mined from with in the various continents, they cost 25% of the vehicle. Their big advantage is that they can't be deflated by a well aimed arrow. However they can be shattered or otherwise sepperated from the vehicle.
    • Propellers: a new idea combined with the masterwork engine listed above It can be added for an extra 10% ontop of the engine cost. They also can't be deflated but fuel concerns have made this a less popular choice.

Number of balloons
    • 1 large: no adjustments
    • 2: x1.2 to the balloon cost: deflation happens at 1/2 the rate
    • 3+: x1.4 to ballon cost deflation happens at 1/3 the rate and doesn't start for 1hr.

Last edited by redfeline; 2019-08-09 at 11:01 PM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Drifting Worlds OOC

Who here took mythic ranks? Was it only Thorne?
    It looks like it was just me yes. I believe I shall have Thorne speak in royal blue

His sheet
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

here is Kamryn
    here is Windy the Roc (Kamyrn's Animal Companion)
    speach in BLUE
    edit
    looked at mything but nothing mythic really fit what I wanted to do with the character
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-07-27 at 11:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I will speak in Middle Green.

I don't have a mythic level. Being a current noble wouldn't work with my character.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Before I forget, yes you need to buy and carry mundane magic items. Food, water and ammo come to mind but spare clothing, rope, saddle bags, sun rods, maps, cook ware are all good ideas.

The three of you on the run from the law or home... you can retroactively make these purchases.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Avillian "Siegebreaker"

He'll speak in Dark Gray.

Grabbed a backpack and some stuff to set up for sleeping/camping, but without extradimensional storage space, no reason to carry a ton.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-07-27 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Feel free to roll anything you want, just tell me what and why. Knowledge may be of some use.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Dark red for me.

Going to go home and do some writing, so I'll get that info for the intro
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

(DC 35 to notice) the bird thing (1d20+31)[48]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

pay 6 SP for food - deducted from sheet
    Take Note store in HHH

man in an ivory colored robe with gold clasp at the base of his neck, engraved on it is the symbol of the empire
    Knowledge (Local) (1d20+16)[29] Sense motive (1d20+26)[33] Perception (1d20+31)[42]
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-07-28 at 07:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Paradox, roll either bluff or performance acting. I would also say stealth is an option but you kind of tossed that one away as a bad option.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

on that note it stated a location: "located the entrance, it was hidden under a large seal stone at the end of the canyon on the eastside of Horg's magma spire."
    before responding to the man I would like to see what she knows about that location
    Local : (1d20+16)[36]
    then possible response rolls
    bluff (1d20+8)[19]
    intimidate (1d20+10)[24]
    a further Sense motive to judge the mans response to any comments including possible bluff / intimidate (1d20+26)[30]

*covering my basics of how I might handle the situation based on what I may or may not know about the area indicated on the note

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I figured that a failed stealth roll would leave me in a worse position than any other roll I could make. Though it has a better modifier than the other two rolls I can make, which both have a modifier of 0.

Bluff roll (1d20)[2]

Edit: Oh, that doesn't look good.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-07-29 at 03:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Kamryn
    Show

-Magma spires are mineral rich sites, do to the magma bringing minerals up etc.
    -Horg's lands are not far from where you are. He was a well know merchant baron, known sometimes as an eccentric because of how well he treats lesser species such as humans, elves, and gnomes. (Rumor has it his attitude is more common on other continents, but it is viewed as eccentric here.) His eccentric attitude recently had him murdered, by members of the lesser races he foolishly trusted too much.
    -Horg's magma spire is not far from here. He depleted it's resources years ago, which helped him aquire the nearby lands. You can find it on a map accurately, and perhaps with out a map, but you have not been there before.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam which is Kamyrn doing bluff or intimidate? Also just to keep things moving roll a will save.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Sam which is Kamyrn doing bluff or intimidate? Also just to keep things moving roll a will save.
    doing both i think it is possible the intimidate is the rising to full height in response to being called little and hand on blade the bluff would be the what are you talking about - thinking there was no way someone saw her take that note

will save (1d20+5)[15]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Any one know how to make the dice rolls visible on the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    doing both i think it is possible the intimidate is the rising to full height in response to being called little and hand on blade the bluff would be the what are you talking about - thinking there was no way someone saw her take that note

will save [roll0]
    You failed the will save, not all that harmful but it does shift the conversation.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

You failed the will save, not all that harmful but it does shift the conversation.
    only way I know of is to copy the roll after it was rolled will save (1d20+5)[15]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you sam, oddly I am finaly online and can see the save.

I meant to give ogre's common and giant as languages. You can add one more language Sam, sorry I didn't catch my mistake sooner.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't know about other browsers, but if you're using Google Chrome, hit the options button at the top right and select the option labeled desktop site. It will reload the page as if you are viewing it on a computer.

Of course, that means things will be be rather tiny on a phone screen, but it does let you see dice rolls.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, I'll try that next time.

So if Anvillian and Thorne are ready I can skip to landing at the capital and then to meeting the muse. If you want more time simply let me know.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Thank you sam, oddly I am finaly online and can see the save.

I meant to give ogre's common and giant as languages. You can add one more language Sam, sorry I didn't catch my mistake sooner.
    okay I took Draconic for that extra language...
    so the spell was Suggestion (a snake’s tongue and a honeycomb)
    do I understand this - "word in hissing syllables .. paper lights on fire in hand quickly burning"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

okay I took Draconic for that extra language...
    so the spell was Suggestion (a snake’s tongue and a honeycomb)
    do I understand this - "word in hissing syllables .. paper lights on fire in hand quickly burning"
    The word is a little bit different from saying ignite in draconic. Very similar but different.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

so suggestion does not do anything for memory, and kamryn is likely to not forget the note
    "located the entrance, it was hidden under a large seal stone at the end of the canyon on the eastside of Horg's magma spire."
    Horg's magma spire is not far from here Knowledge (Geography) (1d20+16)[29] - to know just how long it would take to get to it if she (walk/fly 60ft) as she can not ride Windy the Roc (fly 80ft) and I dont think there are any animals that are huge for mount purposes that are affordable that go faster than 60ft with weight

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope suggestion does not affect memory, she knows she handed the note over and what it said.

As for the mounts, your on a continent were dinosaurs are common. So maybe you can get a good deal on a thunder lizard. I may have a different solution.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Suggest away

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I must admit there are fewer elegant solutions than I would like. However to make a good solution I am going to explain my logic. The animal needs to be huge, windy is large. If windy were huge she would have double her current carrying capacity, the ant haul spell triples caring capacity. So with that logic ant haul will make Windy strong enough to carry her master for several hours.

Might not work by RAW, but will work for our purposes. Oh look that merchant over there is selling a potion of ant haul.

As for how long about an hour with Windy. A bit more on the allosaurus, which will cost Market Price: The market price of a dinosaur is a function of its Hit Dice: 50 gp/HD for a warbeast of 3 HD or less, or 100 gp + 75 gp/HD for one of 4 HD or more. So 75*11+100 = 925 gp to ride bare back.

I pulled a price guide from some where, we will see how it works for now.

edit: man I wish I had put more thought into a time table before I posted, oh well you live and learn.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-07-31 at 04:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Well I must admit there are fewer elegant solutions than I would like. However to make a good solution I am going to explain my logic. The animal needs to be huge, windy is large. If windy were huge she would have double her current carrying capacity, the ant haul spell triples caring capacity. So with that logic ant haul will make Windy strong enough to carry her master for several hours.

Might not work by RAW, but will work for our purposes. Oh look that merchant over there is selling a potion of ant haul.

As for how long about 30 minutes with Windy.
    ROFL windy with a potion of ant haul, Duration 2 hours, Light Load str 28 1,200 lbs. or less = kamryn & gear for certain and in theory could fly, so a level 1 potion is what 150gp or so?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ROFL windy with a potion of ant haul, Duration 2 hours, Light Load str 28 1,200 lbs. or less = kamryn & gear for certain and in theory could fly, so a level 1 potion is what 150gp or so?
    And I was ninja'd.

I changed to the travel time.

Potion will cost 50 gp.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

And I was ninja'd.

I changed to the travel time.

Potion will cost 50 gp.