The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Drifting Worlds OOC

I guessed as much, and I figure there'd be enough body language on Anvil's part that Thorne would pick up on at minimum the fact that she's significant to him.

Of course, he's not likely to come to the conclusion that she's worth even more than the ship on his own I don't think, since he doesn't know that she's more than a simple engineer, and that mask could easily buy several of those ships outright, hence his reaction.

I am hopeful that this tactic is effective, after all, Thorne isn't trying to get him to back down on the authority of someone of a lesser race, but rather on the authority of the Muse and by extension the Empire itself, which unless I've misread this culture drastically would command a great deal of respect.

If nothing else, the intimidate roll I made is way higher than the default DC to coerce this guy into a friendlier attitude for the time being (unless both his HD and Wisdom are way higher than they should be, that roll is more than sufficient to intimidate an ancient red dragon by default.)

I could whip up a basic artificer pretty quickly if you like, just let me know the parameters.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-19 at 05:01 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    You did the precombat buff, you get the first attack as well.
    oooh, ok, how far away are we?

is it just a 10ft wide bridge to the dwarf?
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Cassia was an NPC who was never built out. If you're looking for a sheet I could make one for you though Artificers/crafters aren't my preferred shtick so it might take me a while.
    Oh, I don't know why I thought Cassia and Valan were other players I did not select. I honestly thought you colaborated and in fact was annoyed with the other two for not writing the same background on their sheets. Going back to the recruitment thread I see my mistake now.

Any how I don't need a sheet for her. However if either of you wants to make one, I am not familar with the artificer, may I ask we use either the scholar/ Technician from spheres of might or the artisan class by drop dead studios. Probably level 14, valuable enough to make the exchange worth while, but not so valuable as to add another PC.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-09-19 at 05:37 PM.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh, I don't know why I thought Cassia and Valan were other players I did not select. I honestly thought you colaborated and in fact was annoyed with the other two for not writing the same background on their sheets. Going back to the recruitment thread I see my mistake now.

Any how I don't need a sheet for her. However if either of you wants to make one, I am not familar with the artificer, may I ask we use either the scholar/ Technician from spheres of might or the artisan class by drop dead studios. Probably level 14, valuable enough to make the exchange worth while, but not so valuable as to add another PC.
    I'm good with anything you decide for her that's loyal to the concept that she is a very valuable item crafter, however that would look for your setting. I had no specific mechanics in mind.

Even if things backfire somehow and Salt Brow plays a fast one on us or she's actually against going with us or what have you, you've drawn me into the scene masterfully. I'm excited to have my backstory incorporated so quickly and dramatically. Thanks for the effort you're putting in to make this game an awesome one.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-09-20 at 10:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

I am glad it was worth the wait. Just fyi, if you do the math the ships value is about 8300, but ogres are hard core merchants so 9000 was his new bid. Down from about 10k of magic item and plat coins. I sorta of feel like I am scamming you on the ship.

Bel and Sam here is the lava battle map

Assuming I know what I am doing.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I figured, but the price would naturally be a bit higher due to the rushed and desperate nature of the sale. I mostly just needed him to limit his hopes of snagging those rare magic items.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

I am glad it was worth the wait. Just fyi, if you do the math the ships value is about 8300, but ogres are hard core merchants so 9000 was his new bid. Down from about 10k of magic item and plat coins. I sorta of feel like I am scamming you on the ship.

Bel and Sam here is the lava battle map

Assuming I know what I am doing.
    Need to give us access. I usually change it so those with access to the link can edit.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

That should be done now.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

gm point of reference for melee, the +5 Large Falcata in primary hand, the +5 (+4enh) Mithral Heavy Steel in off hand
    use feats as needed Dazzling Display, Double Slice, Two-Weapon Fighting

Phoenix cloak Fly with perfect maneuverability to avoid falling in the lava

if it is not needed to move to go into combat then she will take the full attack action, otherwise move and strike

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a tad confused on combat, are we waiting for you to resolve round 1 so we can move to 2?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All right Aegis, how do you want to play this? If I've got this right, your boots are worth 10,500 gp. So this guy is asking for the trade equivalent of ~20,000 gp. I could toss in a magic item of my own to bring the total up, but my character's never met this girl, and is a bit leery about doing this with an accused murderess in the first place.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-23 at 06:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've been ruminating on it for a moment. IC motivation dictates that if he's not willing to accept the boots for Cassia as a stand alone trade, then I default to his original offer and give him the mask, which would be worth 78,000. Anvillian's already said flat out that none of Cassia's creations are more valuable than Cassia in his opinion. Plus, that ensures we get full control of the plane.

Of course, knowing he said he was being greedy when he suggested that, we can press him for services beyond our original needs and lean on his mercantile connections and influence. Anvillian's diplomacy and skills in general are pretty lame, so beyond getting the plane and Cassia, I'll leave it to you how you'd want to press in further.

Unless you're adamantly opposed to this idea, I'll throw up an IC post tomorrow and let you handle negotiating for additional benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    I'm a tad confused on combat, are we waiting for you to resolve round 1 so we can move to 2?
    No I just got jumped by work. Hence why even the just roleplaying post was brief. Also welcome the world of high level spheres, although a lot of those effects are from traditional feats and class abilities.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been ruminating on it for a moment. IC motivation dictates that if he's not willing to accept the boots for Cassia as a stand alone trade, then I default to his original offer and give him the mask, which would be worth 78,000. Anvillian's already said flat out that none of Cassia's creations are more valuable than Cassia in his opinion. Plus, that ensures we get full control of the plane.

Of course, knowing he said he was being greedy when he suggested that, we can press him for services beyond our original needs and lean on his mercantile connections and influence. Anvillian's diplomacy and skills in general are pretty lame, so beyond getting the plane and Cassia, I'll leave it to you how you'd want to press in further.

Unless you're adamantly opposed to this idea, I'll throw up an IC post tomorrow and let you handle negotiating for additional benefits.
    The mask is way over kill, so if you do that you keep the gold the ship would of cost. You could then press him for extra money or do as you suggest and get favors in exchange. Starting with skipping out of the mark of execution, which is technically part of Er'ifu law in freeing a criminal slave.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

What happened to my attack? Did I hit, if so, was it ignored, or did it do anything?

Also, was caen moved? The map has two caens, was that with the reposition ability?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The mask is overkill. If you give Thorne a nudge in character he will add his amulet to the boots, which should be enough to free the artificer without a mark.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

What happened to my attack? Did I hit, if so, was it ignored, or did it do anything?

Also, was caen moved? The map has two caens, was that with the reposition ability?
    Sorry, the tinted spots list where a character was previously. Caen was moved with a reposition. Caen did hit and damage was done, (I marked on the assassin last Friday), just the assassin doesn't seem to care.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

eek Re: Drifting Worlds OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    The mask is overkill. If you give Thorne a nudge in character he will add his amulet to the boots, which should be enough to free the artificer without a mark.
    The mask is really overkill, but it's a personal matter to Anvillian, while the plane is a needed resource, and Anvillian wouldn't think twice about Thorne using personal resources on that, mixing their assets on Cassia's freedom means Thorne would need to have a say in what happens.

That level of trust is still forthcoming I think, since Cassia is family. And as powerful and valuable as the mask is, I think my other items are more important to broadening my function or alleviating things that irk me as a player (like tracking food/water).

The immunity provided by the mask is extremely powerful, but also not that interesting or fun game play wise. So as a player I don't mind losing it for this; something more interesting and fun.

Plus Salt Brow's connections could be extremely valuable to our objective.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

The mask is really overkill, but it's a personal matter to Anvillian, while the plane is a needed resource, and Anvillian wouldn't think twice about Thorne using personal resources on that, mixing their assets on Cassia's freedom means Thorne would need to have a say in what happens.

That level of trust is still forthcoming I think, since Cassia is family. And as powerful and valuable as the mask is, I think my other items are more important to broadening my function or alleviating things that irk me as a player (like tracking food/water).

The immunity provided by the mask is extremely powerful, but also not that interesting or fun game play wise. So as a player I don't mind losing it for this; something more interesting and fun.

Plus Salt Brow's connections could be extremely valuable to our objective.
    I'll see what I can offer in terms of interesting connections.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All right if that's what you want to do, go ahead. I'll do what I can to get what I can out of the bargain.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

gm just for the same of asking

the Added Bone breaker effect -5 attack and damage rolls while battered.
    maul (1d20+35)[42]

this Failed to hit kamryn if that was the intent...

second is this intended for kamryn... weapon is poisoned DC 26 or become fatigued for a minute ? where above the hit fails to hit kamryn no poison, or any other effect is the presumption

then I am trying to figure out how intimidate is a swift action, the dwarf moves , move action, attacks, standard action, I just do not see how intimidate is a swift action... and the brutal strike feat says ...
    If you use your Power Attack feat to increase your damage with a bludgeoning weapon, you can attempt a brutal strike. You must declare your intention before making your attack. If the attack hits and your opponent takes damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your extra damage from the Power Attack feat on the attack) or be sickened for 1 round. You can use this feat once per round during your attack action.

the swift action Intimidate (1d20+39)[59] (This is a signature skill with 15 ranks in it. Kamryn is panicked 1d4 rounds
    should kamryn not have gotten a chance at that will vs fear check I realize a nat 20 would be needed to have a chance .. but hey its a chance..

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post

maul (1d20+35)[42]

second is this intended for kamryn... weapon is poisoned DC 26 or become fatigued for a minute ? where above the hit fails to hit kamryn no poison, or any other effect is the presumption

then I am trying to figure out how intimidate is a swift action, the dwarf moves , move action, attacks, standard action, I just do not see how intimidate is a swift action... and the brutal strike feat says ...
    If you use your Power Attack feat to increase your damage with a bludgeoning weapon, you can attempt a brutal strike. You must declare your intention before making your attack. If the attack hits and your opponent takes damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your extra damage from the Power Attack feat on the attack) or be sickened for 1 round. You can use this feat once per round during your attack action.

the swift action Intimidate (1d20+39)[59] (This is a signature skill with 15 ranks in it. Kamryn is panicked 1d4 rounds
    should kamryn not have gotten a chance at that will vs fear check I realize a nat 20 would be needed to have a chance .. but hey its a chance..
    that hit was for caen, so the bone breaker effect, as well as the poison check. You got the fear affect.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post

maul (1d20+35)[42]

Okay as bel said the hit was on his char. The brutal strike is a spheres ability. It is under the berserker heading. The intimidate swift action comes from a feat, I am on my phone and will tell you the name tomorrow. It is first party. The signature skill improves the fear condition.

Intimidate is vs hp and wisdom. No will save. That said the effect is now gone and you get a +4 for 10 minutes. (I put the mage there to help vs intimidate. There are other ways to mitigate intimidate.)

It is now your turn.

Edit: the feat mention is "soulless gaze." As you will note the assassin has considerable resources spent on intimidate.

You may recall the gaurds were to scarred to chase him.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-09-26 at 08:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Still on phone ok on fear kam will go fight defensive swd n shld

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

(apparently i screwed up my attack bonus in my first attack, it has been remedied on the sheet)

Caen Attack of Opportunity:

attack - (1d20+28)[34] vs flat footed AC
    Damage - (1d6+14)[17] +7 damage from judgement

crit confirm - (1d20+32)[37] (crit on 15-20)
    Crit bonus damage - (1d6+14)[19] & sickened for 1 minute (no save)

EDIT: Additionally, with him moving through/past me, he should provoke more than once, as I have combat reflexes, by my count, 3 more AOO's
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-09-30 at 02:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

(apparently i screwed up my attack bonus in my first attack, it has been remedied on the sheet)

Caen Attack of Opportunity:

[roll0] vs flat footed AC
    [roll1] +7 damage from judgement

[roll2] (crit on 15-20)
    [roll3] & sickened for 1 minute (no save)

EDIT: Additionally, with him moving through/past me, he should provoke more than once, as I have combat reflexes, by my count, 3 more AOO's
    On the srd, under attacks of opportunity, sub heading combat reflexes it says: "Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent."

Did it work that way in 3.5? I don't remember.

edit:
    Bel it is still your go in combat. You went invisible and Kam ran away, the barb moved and hit the tablet, Kamy ran back to original position.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2019-10-01 at 09:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

On the srd, under attacks of opportunity, sub heading combat reflexes it says: "Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent."

Did it work that way in 3.5? I don't remember.

edit:
    Bel it is still your go in combat. You went invisible and Kam ran away, the barb moved and hit the tablet, Kamy ran back to original position.
    Nope, you are right, it's the same in the 3.5 SRd.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Airsick lowlander!"
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, the information is a good start I think, but clearly we need something else to balance things out. I'm drawing a blank on other services he can provide that would really be useful to our situation. Perhaps cash or magical materials going towards eventually replacing the mask would make up the difference?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

because kamyrn can fly perfect she should be able to fly over the lava, around to a flanking position at 60ft a turn, then strick the dwarf from behind if I look at the map correctly

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Okay, the information is a good start I think, but clearly we need something else to balance things out. I'm drawing a blank on other services he can provide that would really be useful to our situation. Perhaps cash or magical materials going towards eventually replacing the mask would make up the difference?
    Supply lines for more common magical reagents would be useful. I envision us having to get/quest for/stumble across the unique materials needed to create something as powerful as the Mask, but it could lead to ship upgrades, ensures we can get parts to repair it, or gear upgrades as Cassia produces magic items.

Also favors could be useful. We have objectives on multiple of the floating continents, we may at some point want to dredge up mercenaries or other adventurers to our cause.