New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1172 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Does V know Stone to Flesh?
    When Haley got stoned by Z, V said they didn't have that spell prepared, not that they didn't know it. So yeah, probably, and it's not a super high level spell either.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And yet when I suggested this very development some strips ago people screamed at me for being unrealistic.

Also, I am only accepting apologies in the form of apfelkuchen.
    Was I one of said people? If so, I'll be happy to provide this apple thing of yours, but I warn you: I'm not sure it'd be edible, given I have no recipe or understanding of what I'd be making, and every recipe I am googling seems to be written in some kind of undecipherable script. Or German. But I repeat myself.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Or just finish the vote.
    True, this specific case of petrification comes with the clause that it only lasts as long as the meeting does.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I just noticed: Durkon collapsing the ancient voting place would also be a nice take on the destruction part of his prophecy.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

My congratulations go out to the members of the Church of the Sudden Skylight.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myta View Post
    I just noticed: Durkon collapsing the ancient voting place would also be a nice take on the destruction part of his prophecy.
    Indeed. We can add it to the list with Odin's Meeting Hal, and the outer chamber of this place. The Historical Preservation society is going to be wanting his blood.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #37

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    My congratulations go out to the members of the Church of the Sudden Skylight.
    I think there'll be more than a skylight in a moment. But yes, congratulations to all ye faithful.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    I feel bad for Durkon, he's spent so much of the past few stories immobilsed, hahaha.

On the plus side, petrification is probably easy to fix at their levels. Stone salves, turn stone to flesh, remove curse.
    This petrification should automatically end after the meeting is adjorned.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Tsk, the exarch has so little appreciation for the dramatic.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    But it does highlight that the usual votes are so insignificant that the domination didn't really concern them before now. It seems it would usually not matter that half the council was under vampire domination, if all they were doing was voting on flower arrangements for some festival or the like.

Grey Wolf
    I doubt that flower arrangements would be important enough for their patron demigod to convene a vote, and most of their non-divine votes probably have something to do with dwarven laws or other things that matter under the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...I sure hope whatever Durkon has in mind, it doesn't end up killing everyone in the room. I guess that most of them are wealthy enough for their families raise them, though.
    Incredible how the ability to reverse death makes loads of people more comfortable with collateral murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    On the plus side, petrification is probably easy to fix at their levels. Stone salves, turn stone to flesh, remove curse.
    Yeah, we just need to wait a day and Durkon can prepare...crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Yeah, we just need to wait a day and Durkon can prepare...crap.
    If only there were more than one spell caster in the vicinity not turned to stone!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt that flower arrangements would be important enough for their patron demigod to convene a vote, and most of their non-divine votes probably have something to do with dwarven laws or other things that matter under the earth.
    A discussion about who deserved an apple once sparked a war. Flower arrangements that come to a vote could most definitely affect the clans. Say, if it'd mean re-decorating temples all round the dwarven lands to match. Those 30 coppers per temple aren't going to mine themselves

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-29 at 09:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Returning hammer collapses ceiling looks likely, but another possibility is Sigdi takes out a mirror and shines that sunlight on everyone.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    Tsk, the exarch has so little appreciation for the dramatic.
    He's lucky Durkon appreciates it too- Durkon concievably could have shoved the Exarch (without attacking him), thus removing him from the area he gets protection in. Then Durkon and Sigidi could wail away at him. That said, that would take several rounds, and what's needed here is a 1-3 round solution.

So Exarch burns as the ceiling crumbles, and Durkon is stoned forever unless the meeting is formally adjourned.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

A. Nice to see SOME of The Council are functional. Lawful Good represent. I’m Neutral Good, but I have immense respect for the Lawful Good. Anyone who can balance TWO codes of ethics like that is impressive.

B. Two possibilities here: either the felling collapses on Gontor, or Sidgi tears that vampire limb-from-limb, possibly going down herself in the process.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Was I one of said people? If so, I'll be happy to provide this apple thing of yours, but I warn you: I'm not sure it'd be edible, given I have no recipe or understanding of what I'd be making, and every recipe I am googling seems to be written in some kind of undecipherable script. Or German. But I repeat myself.

Grey Wolf
    I have it on very good authority that within 20 years, everyone will be speaking German. Or a German-Chinese hybrid.

17. - Top - End - #47

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    If only there were more than one spell caster in the vicinity not turned to stone!
    But V can't reach the room. Orange barrier, keeping the elf out.

Okay, if you got enough helper, you might be able to carry him out (and maybe the orange barrier will dispel the effect) but this is not a simple and fast solution.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I have it on very good authority that within 20 years, everyone will be speaking German. Or a German-Chinese hybrid.
    That seems to be working on the same kind of sliding time frame that will give us fusion power and self-driving vehicles.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-29 at 09:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

We can safely assume that Durkon knew the dwarven law well and thus expected to get petrified. The returning hammer is an expected but, imo, too obvious twist, i doubt it will be enough to collapse the whole ceiling.

I am most curious about Sigdi's role. I wonder if she could,in some way, get a vote in the council. A stalemate in a vote to solve a stalemate in another vote could be hilarious.
    The chance is slim, given that Sigdi's clan is far from rich and powerful but we don't know the dwarven law. A lesser clan could -for example- get a seat in the absence of a greater clan; and we know that most -not all- clan representatives are in place.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Just noting that we already know that Haley and V are airborne, and could easily fire through that hole any spell that V has prepared, which could be any spell that V has.

However, this could be an interesting opportunity for something more... special effect-y. Durkon just threw an electric hammer up into the sky. If this were a movie, I would expect a huge lightning bolt to hit it right now, possibly vaporizing one or more vampires.
    Second theory: Durkon hits the ceiling and collapses it, but all of the Vamps have already voted. However, the vote becomes invalid since it must take place inside the council chambers, and the council chambers no longer exist, or at least are no longer "inside".
    Otherwise, maybe when/if the ceiling collapses, it won't hit any dwarves, but will destroy the vamps, which will release the domination?

Clearly Durkon's plan does not just involve killing Gontor, since he isn't in any way necessary to the actual vote anyway...

Edit: That said, the dwarf saying, "If the vampires are voting one way, that's good enough for me to vote the other way." has a solid point, but is forgetting to filibuster.
    Last edited by Kashem; 2019-07-29 at 09:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    Returning hammer collapses ceiling looks likely, but another possibility is Sigdi takes out a mirror and shines that sunlight on everyone.
    Also a decent possibility. There probably isn't a law against having mirrors in the sun in the council chamber, if only because no one would ever expect that to be a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    But V can't reach the room. Orange barrier, keeping the elf out.
    The barrier only seems to cover the entrance, not the new skylight.
    V could just fly in.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

23. - Top - End - #53

A couple of things to note...

I love the really muted morning sun. Is that due to them being so far north, or is this maybe some sort of Misty Mountain situation?

I also really like the idea that the elders hear the question and discuss it instead of just going yea or nay.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Anticipation is killing me, but each new strip only makes it worse.

Damn, this is good storytelling! I will be sad when this arc comes to an end.

Plus, skylighters and stoners got it right. This leaves the 'Sigdi has to fix it' crowd looking good too.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Incredible how the ability to reverse death makes loads of people more comfortable with collateral murder.
    Well, it's not exactly ideal, but one of the biggest problems with murder is that in our world, it can't be reverted. It's. It's still not that great, but it's not as bad, I guess.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

If the Dwarves vote for the destruction of the world despite themselves all going to Hel because of "dying without honor" in order to save the souls of other species, wouldn't that be the honorable thing and cancel out the dishonor?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    If the Dwarves vote for the destruction of the world despite themselves all going to Hel because of "dying without honor" in order to save the souls of other species, wouldn't that be the honorable thing and cancel out the dishonor?
    For the voters, maybe. And I'm not even sure of that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-29 at 09:45 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

That was a Hel of a Knowledge (Astronomy) check on Durkon's part. To know exactly where the sun was in the sky (and how the underground chamber is oriented with respect to the surface world), and do the math on the fly to spear the ex-exarch dead-on with a ray of sunlight.

Unless, of course, that was all just dramatic coincidence, and the hammer throw was for another purpose altogether...

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Um, the reason why we consider murder to be so bad is because it isn't reversible.

So what would actually be interesting is if people's opinions about it didn't change when it became reversible.

Ninja'd by danielxcutter
    Last edited by GregTD; 2019-07-29 at 09:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Back in the 80-90, everyone used to say the same regarding Japanese.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""