The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: What if?

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default What if?

    Just a thought I had last night: What if Google never bought YouTube and it stayed independently owned?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: What if?

    Quote Originally Posted by HamsterKun View Post
    Just a thought I had last night: What if Google never bought YouTube and it stayed independently owned?
    It would've gone under. YouTube pre-buying was in dire financial trouble, and it was only Google's ad money that kept it afloat. It took several years to add enough advertisement and user base for it to pay for the massive servers it requires to store billions of hours of footage.

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: What if?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It would've gone under. YouTube pre-buying was in dire financial trouble, and it was only Google's ad money that kept it afloat. It took several years to add enough advertisement and user base for it to pay for the massive servers it requires to store billions of hours of footage.

    Grey Wolf
    Global megacorporations: sometimes they're OK if they profit from something you agree with?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2015

    Default Re: What if?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Global megacorporations: sometimes they're OK if they profit from something you agree with?
    I have no problem with global megacorporations intrinsically. The idea of the corporation arose so that ventures so big that only kings and the uber-rich could afford them could be organized by people with more modest wealth. That can be a pretty good thing.

    Of course, bad stuff can potentially happen when you have that much power concentrated in one place, and maybe there are systemic changes we can make to push back the negative outcomes we already see, but a corporation trying to make money for its shareholders is no more immoral than you trying to make money for yourself.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: What if?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Global megacorporations: sometimes they're OK if they profit from something you agree with?
    I'm sorry, did I say YouTube was OK?

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •