The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42

Thread: What's left

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default What's left

    With the new book being announced, we seem to have about 25 pages left to wrap everything up. It feels like there are enough plot points left to fill twice that number, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm overcounting. Bare minimum I could see would be...

    5 more pages to wrap up the current battle.
    2 pages to find out Kudzu's current status and wrap up Hilgya's arc.
    1/2 page to follow up on Not Thad's rescue plan. I'm assuming this won't directly involve the order, and my gut is Minrah will take the lead on this, but there will probably be at least a few panels on the who and how.
    1/2 page on miscellaneous Temple of Thor wrap-up.
    1 page (at bare minimum) showcasing Durkon & family being family.
    1 page to wrap up the Andi-Bandana arc.
    2 pages to wrap up the Hailey-Bandana arc.
    2 pages to wrap up the Godsmoot (admitedly, this could happen off screen).
    2 pages to check in on our favourite paladin duo up north.
    2 pages to check in on Team Evil up north.
    5 pages to establish the Order's next steps and send them into the next book.

    Adds up to 23 pages, and my gut is that most of my strip guesses are conservative. I could easily see ten pages at the north pole, for instance.

    What am I missing? What needs to be wrapped up in the coming 25 pages that hasn't already been dealt with?

    Enjoy,
    Benjamin A. Vazquez, U.E.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Vazque View Post
    With the new book being announced, we seem to have about 25 pages left to wrap everything up. It feels like there are enough plot points left to fill twice that number, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm overcounting. Bare minimum I could see would be...

    5 more pages to wrap up the current battle.
    2 pages to find out Kudzu's current status and wrap up Hilgya's arc.
    1/2 page to follow up on Not Thad's rescue plan. I'm assuming this won't directly involve the order, and my gut is Minrah will take the lead on this, but there will probably be at least a few panels on the who and how.
    1/2 page on miscellaneous Temple of Thor wrap-up.
    1 page (at bare minimum) showcasing Durkon & family being family.
    1 page to wrap up the Andi-Bandana arc.
    2 pages to wrap up the Hailey-Bandana arc.
    2 pages to wrap up the Godsmoot (admitedly, this could happen off screen).
    2 pages to check in on our favourite paladin duo up north.
    2 pages to check in on Team Evil up north.
    5 pages to establish the Order's next steps and send them into the next book.

    Adds up to 23 pages, and my gut is that most of my strip guesses are conservative. I could easily see ten pages at the north pole, for instance.

    What am I missing? What needs to be wrapped up in the coming 25 pages that hasn't already been dealt with?

    Enjoy,
    Benjamin A. Vazquez, U.E.
    I'd like to say something about it being 25 strips and not pages, but the count Rich gave was, in fact, a page count...
    I'm pretty sure the Haley/Bandanna arc can be resolved while everyone else is planning on leaving, probably at the same time as the Andi/Bandanna bit. You're right that the Godsmoot will probably have panels dedicated to it instead of pages.

    I'm personally expecting Durkon's time with his family to be the big one, unless the bit about Xykon is bigger than I'm expecting.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What's left

    Ah what the hell. 1000 quatloos says this book ends with a good chunk of pages dedicated to Xykon and Redcloak finding the gate.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Ah what the hell. 1000 quatloos says this book ends with a good chunk of pages dedicated to Xykon and Redcloak finding the gate.
    *pulls out check book*

    Would you define good chunk as being over 25%? Or over 33%?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    *pulls out check book*

    Would you define good chunk as being over 25%? Or over 33%?
    Let's go with at least five pages. Counting any pages that take place at Kraagor's gate but focused outside of it.

    Not going to put quatloos on this, but I see it going down something like this:

    O-Chul and Lien watching the last door Team Evil went in, one of them remarking on how long they've been in there. Cue the other saying "Maybe the monsters finally got them" and the response being "Or maybe they found it." with a panel of the two of them making that face as a beat panel before ending on a huge detailed panel of Team Evil arriving at Kraagor's gate. This strip will be either preceded by a few strips devoted to Team Evil talking to each other as they enter the door again, or succeeded by strips of them doing so now that they're at the gate, or both. I expect it'll be the cliffhanger this book ends on though.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-07-31 at 01:40 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    I'd allocate a page for Gontor and the Creed of the Stone, and what their proper place is amid the dwarven soul shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    It'll be a wild ride, and I can't wait to see all the twists and turns, but we'll be fine.

    This is gonna be great.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: What's left

    Wasn't the Andi-Bandana arc wrapped up here? Also not sure what needs to be wrapped up between Haley and Bandana... If the Order keeps traveling with the Mechane (admittedly, they might get other transportation for the next book) we could see some more Bandana scenes in the next book instead.
    I do like the idea of sending a party to rescue not-Thad. Would give a good reason for Minrah, Logann, his sister, Thirden, and a few others not following the Order North.
    Definitely expecting Another showdown between Hilgya and Sigdi... and it should be good.
    I do expect a Quick checkin at the Godsmoot... hopefully with someone realizing that with the moot over, the High Priestess of Hel is no longer protected by the meeting rules.
    And yes, the tail end of the book should have a check-in at the North pole somehow. It will take a few weeks for Team Evil to finih their rituals, so starting the countdown would be most dramatically appropriate.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: What's left

    That's my guess, too.

    We'll have this encounter nicely wrapped up in 15 strips. Then there are 9 strips about rescuing Not-Thad, one half about the order getting ready to depart to the north, and the last part being the cliffhanger when Team Evil arrives at something that looks heavily like a gate.

    Maybe not even showing the gate.
    RC and Xykon smiling with grim dedication. Oona with a surprised look on her face. And MitD asking all of them what they are staring at...

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ipswich, MA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    That's my guess, too.

    We'll have this encounter nicely wrapped up in 15 strips. Then there are 9 strips about rescuing Not-Thad, one half about the order getting ready to depart to the north, and the last part being the cliffhanger when Team Evil arrives at something that looks heavily like a gate.

    Maybe not even showing the gate.
    RC and Xykon smiling with grim dedication. Oona with a surprised look on her face. And MitD asking all of them what they are staring at...
    9 strips about rescuing Not-Thad? I expect the rescue to be addressed in a bonus strip, if at all. That guy is not important to the plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Far as I'm concerned, anyone can sig anything I say anytime.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    9 strips about rescuing Not-Thad? I expect the rescue to be addressed in a bonus strip, if at all. That guy is not important to the plot.
    Just because he's not Thad doesn't mean he's not important!
    Jokes aside, it was a rough estimate. I guess there will be close to ten strips about saying goodbye, explaining things, preparing for the travel, finishing up business in the Dwarven lands and having a tasty evening with the extended family.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Just because he's not Thad doesn't mean he's not important!
    Jokes aside, it was a rough estimate. I guess there will be close to ten strips about saying goodbye, explaining things, preparing for the travel, finishing up business in the Dwarven lands and having a tasty evening with the extended family.
    8-10 strips wrapping up Durkon and his families story sounds about right.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    I am going to meta game this.
    The book needs to be delivered in December in time for Christmas, the pdfs loaded in early December. The print run probably needs to start some time in November.

    That leaves now through the end of October for content. At the rate we have gotten used to, about one page per week, there are roughly 15 strips to go. (Granted, an increased rate is also possible - they come out when they are ready to come out).

    Three more for council resolution.
    One more for worm battle resolution.
    Two or three "family" focused strips that sort out Kudzu and Hilgya's situation.
    A few more for ... something.
    At least one, maybe two or three, for RC and Xykon doing "something" up north.
    One or two for getting on the Mechane and heading north.

    Note:

    Andi/Bandana tension has been resolved. Andi won't get to strike three. Julio Felix proposed the punishment for mutiny and it was accepted already.
    That one's sorted out already.
    Bandana's authority is no longer in question.

    Thanks Jannoire for catching my mistake there.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-07-31 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Andi/Bandana tension has been resolved. Andi won't get to strike three, and Julio proposed the punishment for mutiny and it was accepted already. That one's sorted out already.
    Julio left a while before that tension arose to the level of mutiny. Felix on the other hand provided a nice solution, which bandana adopted more or less.

    Also, we have a pretty good guess about the amount of pages remaining, by Word of Giant.
    I just realized that said guess is likely inacurate, due to the number of bonus strips being somewhere between 10 and 20

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Scotland

    Default Re: What's left

    1 page for the dominated Dwarves to finish voting and condemn the world.

    1 page of Hel gloating.

    1 page of the Gods preparing to destroy the world.

    Cut to 1 page of Xykon and co. accidentally destroying the last gate.

    20 pages of the Snarl emerging and devouring the surroundings, the world, the universe and the Gods.

    1 page of "Haha, didn't expect that, did you?"

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    1 page of "Haha, didn't expect that, did you?"
    First page of the last book "Just kidding, let's see what actually happened"

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hixson, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    So it's all going to end soon for sure, but I have a feeling that even once the Exarch goes down, he's not quite the final boss of this story. The story set up awhile back what manner of powerful minions Hel has at her disposal, including her Death Giants and her hound Garm, and I can't help but wonder if they weren't mentioned with a purpose. Durkon could borrow Roy's girdle of giant strength and become capable of slaying giants in a single hit. Durkon also mentioned wanting to give Hel a piece of his mind, and it would be pretty neat to see not only that, but perhaps also undoing the curse put on his people through some sort of confrontation. There's also the matter of the Sphynx Pox still in motion, and while I think that may not be resolved by the end of this arc, it's not impossible that it will be somewhat dealt with.

    As usual though, predicting the comic has usually not proven one of my strongest suits, so take this theorizing with a grain of salt.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: What's left

    While Hel certainly has minions at her disposal, she's not able to send them out. This would be seen as cheating by the other gods, which would result in more chaos...

    Also, Durkon already got a new belt, IIRC. And it's most likely a belt of giant strength, as it das stashed away with the hammer and a pair of new gloves.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    At the current pace, if Rich wants to deliver the book by xmas, he has only time for 10-15 updates. Though many of them may be double page updates, leading to the 25 count.

    Next update will probably be a climatic one, in which Durkon's plan set in motion will reveal itself. That opening looks fine for some Alchemist's fire down from a certain airship. Or maybe all the cave will crumble, "just as your pa did", forcing the councilmembers to call for a recess as they flee to the area where Gontor can be killed (he can't remain in the collapsed cave because of sunshine killing him and all that).

    Give two or three pages for family reunions, another two or three for the resolving of the Godsmoot, and three or four for the Order's epiloge enroute to the North Pole, and we still have more than10 pages than can be devoted to some Team Evil action and an end-of-book reveal that will leave the story in a cliffhanger.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-07-31 at 09:33 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Julio left a while before that tension arose to the level of mutiny.
    I meant Felix, I linked to the strip for Felix, but I typed Julio. *doh*
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: What's left

    I wonder if the next book will have more Team Evil scenes, those are often some of my favorites.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I wonder if the next book will have more Team Evil scenes, those are often some of my favorites.
    Its the final book, so we know at least the back half will feature a lot of them, but yeah, its been three years since we last saw them so I want to see them at least once a year for the final book (not expecting it based on the current pace), but we will almost certainly see them in the next few months which is good.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    So it's all going to end soon for sure, but I have a feeling that even once the Exarch goes down, he's not quite the final boss of this story. The story set up awhile back what manner of powerful minions Hel has at her disposal, including her Death Giants and her hound Garm, and I can't help but wonder if they weren't mentioned with a purpose. Durkon could borrow Roy's girdle of giant strength and become capable of slaying giants in a single hit. Durkon also mentioned wanting to give Hel a piece of his mind, and it would be pretty neat to see not only that, but perhaps also undoing the curse put on his people through some sort of confrontation. There's also the matter of the Sphynx Pox still in motion, and while I think that may not be resolved by the end of this arc, it's not impossible that it will be somewhat dealt with.

    As usual though, predicting the comic has usually not proven one of my strongest suits, so take this theorizing with a grain of salt.
    Somehow I don't think this comic will ever involve a member of the order actually physically fighting a god. May as well be watching a boxing match between an ant and Mike Tyson.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Somehow I don't think this comic will ever involve a member of the order actually physically fighting a god. May as well be watching a boxing match between an ant and Mike Tyson.
    Yeah, the two might be strong for their respective power classes, but Mike Tyson is literally out of the ant's league by several orders of magnitude. Flailing at the Snarl while attempting to seal it could work (like the scribblers), though that's the most I'd expect.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Somehow I don't think this comic will ever involve a member of the order actually physically fighting a god. May as well be watching a boxing match between an ant and Mike Tyson.
    More like a boxing match between a flyweight and a heavyweight. Still a curbstomp, but at least the curbstomper gets to notice the existence of the curbstomped, instead of just casually stepping onto it.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-08-01 at 06:29 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    More like a boxing match between a flyweight and a heavyweight. Still a curbstomp, but at least the curbstomper gets to notice the existence of the curbstomped, instead of just casually stepping onto it.
    The flyweight has a chance of landing a punch that even hurts a little bit, which makes it an unfitting metaphor. I suppose it'd be most like a match between a toddler and Mike Tyson. Big enough to notice, not likely to actually do any damage at all.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    You are being unfair here. A group of high level characters like the Order have a chance to punch a God once, before being totally obliterated.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    OK, my guess is pretty far off since I only acccounted for one of the two mitigating factors: I forgot about two page strips coming out.

    I'll still say that about 15 is the count, though, since real life quality control and finishing touches and such, and the print run, and on time delivery, don't happen in a vacuum.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-01 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    You are being unfair here. A group of high level characters like the Order have a chance to punch a God once, before being totally obliterated.
    Really? Look at Durkon and Minrah when they were dead.

    They walked a long distance on Thorís BOOT top, for Odinís sake!
    ... without even recognizing they were akin to fleas on a dog!

    When Thor -spoke- it was enough to rattle them senseless.

    OOTS Gods are far beyond what mere characters can even conceive of.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mike Havran's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Really? Look at Durkon and Minrah when they were dead.

    They walked a long distance on Thorís BOOT top, for Odinís sake!
    ... without even recognizing they were akin to fleas on a dog!

    When Thor -spoke- it was enough to rattle them senseless.

    OOTS Gods are far beyond what mere characters can even conceive of.
    To be fair, they were just petitioners at that point.
    All thanks to half-halfling for the avatar.

    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

    Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's left

    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Really? Look at Durkon and Minrah when they were dead.

    They walked a long distance on Thorís BOOT top, for Odinís sake!
    ... without even recognizing they were akin to fleas on a dog!

    When Thor -spoke- it was enough to rattle them senseless.

    OOTS Gods are far beyond what mere characters can even conceive of.
    Yet we know that some characters achieved godhood. One of them from a monster race, no less.

    This is DnD. Gods can be killed by mortals (who can by doing so become Gods themselves). The OOTS are far from the high-epic level required to pull it, but I'm sure at least V can land a spell that makes a slight wound to a God during the round that the divinity needs to kill the rest of the Order.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •