The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's left

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What's left

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Yet we know that some characters achieved godhood. One of them from a monster race, no less.

This is DnD. Gods can be killed by mortals (who can by doing so become Gods themselves). The OOTS are far from the high-epic level required to pull it, but I'm sure at least V can land a spell that makes a slight wound to a God during the round that the divinity needs to kill the rest of the Order.
    SplicedV was probably the only instance of a mortal in the history of this world capable of fighting a god at full power and lasting more than a couple rounds. Actually, assuming gods cannot revoke the splice, the effective level 75+ (possibly near 100) V might be able to kill a god one on one.
    Current V, if fighting alongside the rest of the Order, would still die. I doubt even their most powerful attack would be capable of dealing noticeable damage to a god.

Xykon and RC could do something fighting together. The entire Order of the Scribble could possibly put up a fight. But no one can realistically kill a god, unless Xykon is actually an impossibly high level character that we didn't know about, which also means that Serini had a HUGE budget.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Who said "kill a God"? All I'm saying is that the Order could survive maybe two punches and even inflict a point of damage or two. More than an ant coud do to Mike Tyson.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-08-01 at 07:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Note: this is all based on the rules laid down for gods in 3.5 books the giant might not be using.

The order all working together and putting up their A-est of A-games might be able to deal damage to Dvalin, though with their track record with will saves that's unlikely, given the mere presence of a god will fascinate or frighten a mortal who can't resist.

As a demigod his damage reduction is a mere (as mere as it gets for anything that can claim godhood) 15/epic. Meaning if they land a hit that deals more than 15 damage, he'd actually feel it. That said, Dvalin has at minimum 6 fire resistance and 33 spell resistance. He also has immunity to lightning, acid, cold, banishment, and anything that can change his form (arguably including disintegrate). So V slipping anything past his defenses is... Not favorable.

Haley might be able to get a sneak attack in that does enough damage, but Roy power attacking is right out thanks to the penalties to his attack roll for doing so. As a demigod, Dvalin would have anywhere from +1 to +5 to his AC, possibly another +13 on top of that, and a deflection bonus equal to his charisma mod (which I expect to be high, being a king and also a god) on top of all that. This is not counting his likely epic armor and shield if he has one.

And that's all for Dvalin. The probably weakest god we've seen on panel. Hel would be at least a lesser deity if not an intermediate one, which cranks all these crazy defensive bonuses way up.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-08-01 at 08:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Note: this is all based on the rules laid down for gods in 3.5 books the giant might not be using.

The order all working together and putting up their A-est of A-games might be able to deal damage to Dvalin, though with their track record with will saves that's unlikely, given the mere presence of a god will fascinate or frighten a mortal who can't resist.

As a demigod his damage reduction is a mere (as mere as it gets for anything that can claim godhood) 15/epic. Meaning if they land a hit that deals more than 15 damage, he'd actually feel it. That said, Dvalin has at minimum 6 fire resistance and 33 spell resistance. He also has immunity to lightning, acid, cold, banishment, and anything that can change his form (arguably including disintegrate). So V slipping anything past his defenses is... Not favorable.

Haley might be able to get a sneak attack in that does enough damage, but Roy power attacking is right out thanks to the penalties to his attack roll for doing so. As a demigod, Dvalin would have anywhere from +1 to +5 to his AC, possibly another +13 on top of that, and a deflection bonus equal to his charisma mod (which I expect to be high, being a king and also a god) on top of all that. This is not counting his likely epic armor and shield if he has one.

And that's all for Dvalin. The probably weakest god we've seen on panel. Hel would be at least a lesser deity if not an intermediate one, which cranks all these crazy defensive bonuses way up.
    I imagine Hermod would be weaker, but that's because the backstory probably doesn't include armor and stuff. Epic DR is Epic.

Actually dealing damage requires some major A gameiness.

Who said "kill a God"? All I'm saying is that the Order could survive maybe two punches and even inflict a point of damage or two. More than an ant coud do to Mike Tyson.
    Okay, that could happen.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-01 at 08:27 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I imagine Hermod would be weaker, but that's because the backstory probably doesn't include armor and stuff. Epic DR is Epic.
    Hermod is very likely a demigod who didn't arise in this world. As such his divine rank would probably be higher than Dvalin's. Divine rank matters more than having some armor.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-08-01 at 09:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Hermod is very likely a demigod who didn't arise in this world. As such his divine rank would probably be higher than Dvalin's. Divine rank matters more than having some armor.
    I'm curious, what makes you think that? I was under the impression that all the demigods had arisen in this world on account of not having enough raw energy to survive the interim period.

-Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I'm curious, what makes you think that? I was under the impression that all the demigods had arisen in this world on account of not having enough raw energy to survive the interim period.
    {scrubbed} Nothing says a demigod has to have arisen in this world, they could have been demigods from the beginning of time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-16 at 09:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yep, you are absolutely right. This is why I made the comparation with a combat between a flyweight and a heavyweight. The heavyweight not only can punch twice harder than the fly and has double the body mass to absorb punishment. It also averages an height of 1.96m (6'4ft) against the flyweight's average 1.65m (5.4ft), meaning the heavyweight has greater reach and can score a lethal (and I mean lethal) punch to the face of the flyweight before the latter can get close enough to reach him with a punch.

Basically a fight between a flyweight and a heavyweight is a massacre for the former, much like a fight between the Order and a God would be a massacre for the Order.

My dissenting point is that the guy performing the murder would still notice the existence of the murdered person, as opposite of just casually stomping over an ant. I mean the Order could still try to flee at first sight, an ant wouldn't even have that chance of survival.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

On the other hand, a bullet ant could probably do a point of damage to Mike Tyson.

10. - Top - End - #40

Yep, you are absolutely right. This is why I made the comparation with a combat between a flyweight and a heavyweight. The heavyweight not only can punch twice harder than the fly and has double the body mass to absorb punishment. It also averages an height of 1.96m (6'4ft) against the flyweight's average 1.65m (5.4ft), meaning the heavyweight has greater reach and can score a lethal (and I mean lethal) punch to the face of the flyweight before the latter can get close enough to reach him with a punch.

Basically a fight between a flyweight and a heavyweight is a massacre for the former, much like a fight between the Order and a God would be a massacre for the Order.

My dissenting point is that the guy performing the murder would still notice the existence of the murdered person, as opposite of just casually stomping over an ant. I mean the Order could still try to flee at first sight, an ant wouldn't even have that chance of survival.
    This is why I amended my analogy to a toddler instead of an ant. A flyweight has an outside chance of landing a hit on a heavyweight in the first place with enough force behind it they'd feel it.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    On the other hand, a bullet ant could probably do a point of damage to Mike Tyson.
    If you have a god who ascended after dying from being poisoned, plenty of invertebrates can do wonderful things that inflict several points of damage.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-02 at 02:41 PM.

-Squire Doodad

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-16 at 09:16 AM.