New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default "Job System" JRPGs?

I recently got a bug to play Dragon Warrior III. So I pulled out my GBC cart and my GBA, and wouldn't you know it, the latter has a busted D-pad. So while I wait for a particular type of screwdriver to be shipped very cheaply from the other side of the planet so I can open the the thing up, I reckon it's a good time to ask for game recommendations.

So what I'm looking for are games similar to Dragon Warrior III. Other examples are Dragon Quest IX, and Final Fantasy III(not VI) or V. JRPGs where you're taking through a party of (mostly) generic characters, changing classes and unlocking new options along the way, ala Final Fantasy's Job System.

Anyway, I'm gonna get back to deciding if I should also order replacement parts or just assume my GBA only needs cleaning. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: "Job System" JRPGs?

A large number games published by Atlus qualify for this, most notably the Disgaea series but also including Phantom Brave and a variety of others.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together also qualifies and might well be described as FF: Tactics with better art.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Bravely Default/Bravely Second and Octopath Traveler both have a job system.

FFXII Zodiac Age does but jobs are a permanent choice (afaik).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Octopath Traveler is the newest JRPG from Squeenix and it's jobs-based. Ish. Each character has a set job and can acquire a second job at a time, but only one character can have a given sub-job.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I'll second Tactics Ogre as fantastic, but it's not a JRPG. Fell Seal is a newer game that's similar in concept, although not as good. It's an indie game though. FFX does let you move around the sphere grid and build characters how you want. FFX-2 is exactly what you're looking for if you don't mind playing dress up. FFXIII kinda has this with an odd twist. Party RPGs that actually let you customize your party went out of style around the 90s, so there's less good examples than you'd think. My friend is telling me to recommend Etrian Odyssey, but I haven't personally tried it. Couldn't get into the art style.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Etrian Odyssey is very good at what it does, but you have to unlearn some things that other games have taught you. When Etrian Odyssey tells you that a monster is too tough for you to fight, it means it will singlehandedly party wipe you in two turns. Also, you have to enjoy mapping things.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    FFXII Zodiac Age does but jobs are a permanent choice (afaik).
    I got Zodiac Age recently and I'm most of the way through the game (I'm in the Pharos at Ridorana, First Ascent). Can confirm that each character gets to choose two jobs, then they're fixed forever. After you get the second licence board (on completing the Tomb of Raithwall) there is no more job changing or unlocking anything along the way.

I'd say FFX isn't what the OP is looking for either. Using the standard sphere grid, each character has one job, and then at the end of the game all of the characters get all of the jobs. With the expert grid, everyone is everything from the start (if you're willing to grind hard enough). It's not at all like the true job systems of FFT or Tactics Ogre.

FFX-2 and FFXIII, on the other hand, are somewhat closer to that spirit. YMMV though.

Beyond that, I don't think I've played any JRPGs with job systems recently. I guess it is a bit out of fashion.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Tangential, but Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon has reclassing. There are like 3 unnamed class sets in the game, and within those sets your characters can swap between 5-7 classes before every mission. It gives you a pretty huge set of strategic options.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-07-31 at 06:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also vouching for Bravely Default: very enjoyable job system, plenty of grind if you enjoy that, and the story dives straight into the basic JRPG tropes before throwing an exciting curveball.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    I'm also vouching for Bravely Default: very enjoyable job system, plenty of grind if you enjoy that, and the story dives straight into the basic JRPG tropes before throwing an exciting curveball.
    The only thing the Bravely games lack based on op's preferences is that the characters are definitely not generic. Mechanically generic yes, but story wise they're pretty different.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    I recently got a bug to play Dragon Warrior III. So I pulled out my GBC cart and my GBA, and wouldn't you know it, the latter has a busted D-pad. So while I wait for a particular type of screwdriver to be shipped very cheaply from the other side of the planet so I can open the the thing up, I reckon it's a good time to ask for game recommendations.

So what I'm looking for are games similar to Dragon Warrior III. Other examples are Dragon Quest IX, and Final Fantasy III(not VI) or V. JRPGs where you're taking through a party of (mostly) generic characters, changing classes and unlocking new options along the way, ala Final Fantasy's Job System.

Anyway, I'm gonna get back to deciding if I should also order replacement parts or just assume my GBA only needs cleaning. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    I'm rather fond of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (FFTA) and its sequel, FFTA2. Although the combat system totally rips off is inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics, the tone is less godawful depressing somewhat lighter, and the character options far more flexible. To wit: Any character can learn any of the jobs associated with their race, except for character-specific ones. Human characters can choose from Human jobs (once they qualify for them, in some cases), Nu Mou from Nu Mou jobs, and so forth. You can qualify for some jobs right out of the gate, and for others by learning a certain number of abilities - for example, a Human can become a Paladin after learning two Soldier abilities. Some units may come with an advanced job, or with a special job unique to them - for example, the FFTA character Ezel gets the unique job Hermetic. Abilities are learned by equipping certain items in combat.

Although there are specific, named characters - including your protagonist - most of the combat is conducted by generic recruits, pretty par for the FFT-style course. If you have space in your team, every now and then a random-named character of a randomly-chosen race and class combination will show up asking to join you.

It offers a lot of flexibility. You can equip one job as primary, to determine your stat spread and equipment options, and another as secondary, allowing you access to the active abilities of both. You can further customize with whatever passive and reactive abilities you choose. For example, a Fencer uses abilities with great debuffs attached, communicated via her weapon, a rapier. But if you build a Sniper, with high attack and ranged weapons, and then give them Fencer as a secondary job, you can now deliver those same abilities at range.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Yo Red Fel how does a sequel rip off the previous game's mechanics?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yo Red Fel how does a sequel rip off the previous game's mechanics?
    By not being a sequel.

FFT tells a very specific story about the history of the Kingdom of Ivalice. It tells a tragic story of war, conspiracy, religion, and betrayal. The tone is grim. Additionally, character death may be permanent.

FFTA tells a very specific story about the fantasy land of Ivalice that exists inside of a magical book. It abandons some of FFT's specific mechanics, like the elaborate zodiac system, and simplifies and streamlines a lot. Also, with the exception of lawless areas called Jagds, death is not permanent.

FFTA2 follows in FFTA's style and simplified mechanics, but ostensibly occurs in the FFT version of Ivalice. Thematically, however, it is more a successor to FFTA than FFT.

So, there's your answer. Not exactly a sequel.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

That "Final Fantasy III (not VI)" bit reminds me a bit of a modification someone made to VI called Brave New World. Aside from fixing bugs and tipping in challenge, it's big change was redoing the way Espers and stat bonuses worked, such that only certain characters can equip certain Espers, and then the stat bonuses are "purchased" buy building up Espers instead of gained at level-up. Characters still aren't generic- you don't switch abilities like III and V- but makes the game lean closer to planning out your characters and adjusting your strategies for different encounters.

Similarly, Legend of Legacy doesn't hit all the targets as you don't switch Jobs, but you still get to unlock different abilities based on which weapons you use. It had a sequel in Alliance Alive, which I've not looked at. Kind of like Etrian Odyssey series meets the Final Fantasy SaGa series, so you have the stuff you do in combat influencing your stat gains, but the game makes the map of the area for you as you go.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Dragon Quest VI
    Dragon Quest VII

The Switch version of FFXII: The Zodiac Age has the option of resetting jobs

Tactical:

Tactics Ogre
    Wild Arms XF (hex-based)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Have you played DQ VI, because it has one of the most well done job systems I've ever seen, even if it doesn't come into play until the second chapter. I would suggest playing the DS version, if possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    You've got your base tier classes: Warrior, Martial Artist, Mage, Priest, Dancer, Gadabout (Goof-off), Merchant, Monster Hunter (which works very differently in the DS version by the way), and Thief.

Then you have your second tier classes, which generally require two or three base classes for entry:

Gladiator requires Martial Artist and Warrior, Sage requires Mage and Priest, Paladin requires Martial Artist and Priest, Armamentalist requires Warrior and Mage, Luminary requires Dancer and Gadabout, and Ranger requires Merchant, Monster Hunter, and Thief.

Your main character gets access to the Hero class once he masters one of the Tier 2 classes. Everyone else has to master all of them first.

Anyone can, in theory, take any job they want. They retain their job skills after switching classes, although it does affect their stat progression.

But if you didn't like FF VI's Esper system, you might not like this, as they aren't 'faceless', but plot-relevant characters.

Other than that, there's the low hanging fruit with FF V, FF Tactics, X2, and a few others.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (sequel to Secret of Mana that was never released in America) has a sort of a job system, but probably not exactly what you are looking for. You have a total of seven characters available, of which only 3 are chosen at the start of the game to actually play with. They each have a pre-defined job they start off with, and when they 'graduate' they have two options to chose from, and this happens twice for a total of four 'end game' classes possible for each character. However, each of these classes are very different from each other.

But if you don't like FF VI's system, you probably won't like that one either, since it's plot-relevant characters, not faceless people.

That's about as close to a Job system as I've gotten outside of turn-based grand strategy games like the Ogre and Fire Emblem series.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2019-08-01 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seiken Densetsu 3 (sequel to Secret of Mana that was never released in America)
    It was released as Trials Of Mana earlier this year.

18. - Top - End - #18

Disgaea was already mentioned...

There’s Final Fantasy Dimensions. Phone game.

Man, I really feel like I played an indie RPG with a job system, but I can’t think of it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

It should be mentioned that the new Fire Emblem: Three Houses has an in-depth job system. No generic characters, mind, and everyone has different talents, but you can make anyone anything.

20. - Top - End - #20

I second the recommendation for Bravely Default, but I'm not brave enough to recommend Bravely Second. Even ignoring the problems with the story and characters of Second, the thing that I couldn't get past is that all of the jobs you can get early on the game suuuuuuuuuck. I was about 7 hours in and still didn't have a single job worth using when I gave up.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oof. I should have been replying more often. This could take a while...

Lots of Tactical RPGs. I probably should have anticipated this. While I do love Tactical RPGs, probably for much the same reason I like those JRPGs, it's not really what I'm looking for ATM. Starting a Disgaea is bit of a commitment, after all.

Of particular note is FFTA, which I played the hell out of back when it came out. I played it to nearly 100%, realised I had discarded an item that I needed to the one mission I had left (a White Thread IIRC), then immediately restarted the game and actually 100%ed it. And came away wanting more games like it. (Why do I never think of it when I think of my favourite games? I really should.)

Bravely Default. I had totally forgotten about this one! It's been on my shelf for almost as long as I've had a 3DS. I really should get around to checking it out.

Octopath Traveller has been on my radar since I got my Switch. I didn't know it had such a system (probably because I stopped looking for info once I decided I was going to play it sooner or later), but knowing that has piqued my interest in the game once more. I should pick it up as soon as I see it discounted again.

FFXII. I played this on PS2, what's different about Zodiac Age? Actually, now that I think of it the only thing I remember about the game is it being Silmarillion levels of dry, so unless Zodiac Age is a lot different I'd give it a pass. As for other Final Fantasies, I didn't enjoy my time with X (I think that came down to how little I was actually playing the game in the time I spent with it), so I never even thought to look at X-2, though I have heard a few times that there's a good game there. XIII had so much negativity around it when it came out that I never paid attention to it. Is it one of those games that people suddenly came around on when it wasn't the new one any more?

Etrian Odyssey. I've started playing the Etrian games many times, and never gotten far (I think the furthest I've gotten is finishing the first... layer? of the first game). I think my problem is that I've always started with the first one, and the later ones are probably a lot more engaging. I did love Persona Q after all. And I've had a copy of Nexus sitting on the shelf next to me since February.

Dragon Quest VI. How did this game pass me by? I've got every other mainline DQ on DS, just not this one. Must've been a pretty limited release in English, it's pretty expensive on E-bay for a DS game. And I really shouldn't, I've already got DQB2 on order, and haven't even started to play Bloodstained y-- oops.

VII too, huh? I guess I stopped paying attention to the series at exactly the wrong time. I'll just note that one down, as it's easier to find.

Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive definitely seem in my wheelhouse even if they're not what I'm looking for ATM.

SD3imean Trials of Mana. I have played this one. 's good. Not the first thing that comes to mind for a job system type game, but it does scratch that itch.

Whew, is that everything?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Couldn't remember the name of it earlier, so had to root through lists of RPGs on the 3DS to find it. Only to find out it's a DS game .

The Dark Spire, which works kind of like Etrian Odyssey without manually drawing maps (okay, so I guess that means it's nothing like Etrian Odyssey). It leans closer to pen-and-paper RPGs than JRPGs, though. No, seriously. It has THAC0. I think the EO series would be better in terms of options, though.

Yeah, Mechalich was right about looking for games published by Atlus.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Man, I really feel like I played an indie RPG with a job system, but I can’t think of it.
    Hmmm, could it be Last Dream? Both it and it's sequel, Last Dream: World Unknown are available on Steam. I think they fit the OP criteria just almost fine: a job based game, with a party of four generic characters, with a level progression system to unlock new abilities. I'm just not sure if it's possible to change classes along the way, as I never finished the game (the first one, I mean).
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by heronbpv View Post
    Hmmm, could it be Last Dream? Both it and it's sequel, Last Dream: World Unknown are available on Steam. I think they fit the OP criteria just almost fine: a job based game, with a party of four generic characters, with a level progression system to unlock new abilities. I'm just not sure if it's possible to change classes along the way, as I never finished the game (the first one, I mean).
    While that does totally look like the kind of game I’d play, that’s not the one.

I’ll have to go through a bunch of old RPGMaker games, see if any ring a bell.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

25. - Top - End - #25

Fell Seal was pretty fun, it has a combination of unique characters and the ability to recruit generic characters which if you build right will wind up stronger than the unique characters. The game itself is based heavily off of Final Fantasy Tactics so if you wind up enjoying that you should give Fell Seal a shot.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

FFXII. I played this on PS2, what's different about Zodiac Age?
    The main difference is that instead of everyone sharing the same giant licence board, now everyone has to choose two out of twelve smaller boards, which are each focused on a specific job. It's a small change, but it massively improves the game experience, for me.

Also all the treasure chests have been moved, so my old piggyback guide is no longer relevant.

XIII had so much negativity around it when it came out that I never paid attention to it. Is it one of those games that people suddenly came around on when it wasn't the new one any more?
    I don't know if other people came around to it, but FFXV certainly makes it look good!

No, I mean, I think a lot of the complaints people had when it came out are legitimate game design problems. The attempt at a 'job system' isn't especially satisfying either. It's playable though, if you don't have anything better to do...
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2019-08-02 at 03:44 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I got Zodiac Age recently and I'm most of the way through the game (I'm in the Pharos at Ridorana, First Ascent). Can confirm that each character gets to choose two jobs, then they're fixed forever. After you get the second licence board (on completing the Tomb of Raithwall) there is no more job changing or unlocking anything along the way.
    The Xbox One and Switch versions do allow you to change jobs by talking to Monteblanc at no cost. However, you'll have to reassign all your points, which if you're mid-late game (or just obsessed with grinding in general) can take a little while.

Edit: Additionally, the Zodiac versions all share the ability to speed up gameplay, so while you're walking or fighting play can occur at 2x speed (or up to 4x on certain versions, such as the Switch).
    Last edited by Talion; 2019-08-02 at 04:10 AM.
    Avatar by the lovely and talented Linklele

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    The Xbox One and Switch versions do allow you to change jobs by talking to Monteblanc at no cost. However, you'll have to reassign all your points, which if you're mid-late game (or just obsessed with grinding in general) can take a little while.

Edit: Additionally, the Zodiac versions all share the ability to speed up gameplay, so while you're walking or fighting play can occur at 2x speed (or up to 4x on certain versions, such as the Switch).
    Ah, I have the PS4 version. Boo.

But yeah, the 2x speed is brilliant. I've never turned it off.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I don't know if other people came around to it, but FFXV certainly makes it look good!

No, I mean, I think a lot of the complaints people had when it came out are legitimate game design problems. The attempt at a 'job system' isn't especially satisfying either. It's playable though, if you don't have anything better to do...
    FFXIII actually had a good combat and class system. It's just that it's chained to that awful, awful story. They don't actually give you the freedom to make your own party compositions until like 25 hours into the game, and it's not fun until then.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think I'd consider the Etrian Odyssey series for having the job system you want. It is a nice setup, but having your guys change jobs is a nonstarter--you build generic guys in their classes. Many many many levels later (like, I finished the mainline of 1 before considering it) you can 'prestige' a guy to let him get a few extra skill points... and I think that he'd/she'd still have to be the same class.

Dragon Quest 7 introduced me to its extensive job system, but it was created in 6. The 3DS version of DQ7 is a bit faster paced and looks much better than the PS1 version. If you're more into climbing the ladder, then DQ9's got just about the same set of jobs tied to experience levels instead of 7's 'non-trivial' battle quota. Storywise, though, I think 7's better. Neither has a meaningful postgame, but 9 has a longer grind with random grotto maps. Then again, the 3DS version might have touched up on that, too.

I'd probably second Bravely Default for your best bet out of more recent titles. If you're willing to stretch your munchkin muscles, you can apparently break the game nine ways from Sunday, but that takes a bit of effort. Mid-to-late game gets a bit repetitive, but it ties up nicely.

How does Bravely Second fit into this? I never started it because I never finished the wrapping up of Default, and later forgot how to play the game. Does Second have the same job (asterisk) system?