The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Death and Taxes

No time to talk for Gwen. Just Dodge and swing.

Spoiler: More Attacks!
    Show
    Main Attack (d20+5)[20] Damage (d10+3)[7]
    Bonus Attack [roll]d20+5[/roll[ Damage (d4+3)[4]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

The guard turns his emotionless eyes onto Killitz. "Hit me with your best shot, slave. I told chaplain Xalryn that you all should have been kept in chains."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"No one can keep me in chains, thats how I'm here now!"
    Killitz rushes toward the one speaking at him and brings his axe down in a 12-6 motion.
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20+6)[22]
    (1d8+4)[5]

4. - Top - End - #64

Konstantin's blast of green force goes wide, flying past a phantom and carrying on into the depths of the room, where it hits one of the decorative shields on the wall. The crossed axes hanging from it go flying, and the shield drops the floor and falls on its face.

The shadowy phantom is looking back at the noise when Gwen's glaive finds it, the blade and haft slashing through it. When her attack is over, the phantom is flickering in and out, struggling to hold itself together.

Killitz's axe comes down squarely on the human guard's head, impacting their helmet with a wet thunking sound. The guard's body falls to the ground, but as it falls away, it reveals another figure standing exactly in the same position, the ghostly translucent form of a half-orc.

The half-orc ghost is wearing armor similar to the human guard's, but the emblem on his shoulder is of crossed swords, and his face is no longer expressionless, hateful eyes stare at Killitz from a face that seems to be rotting off its skull. Dark energy seems to roll off it, poisoning the air just by its presence.

"You'll all need to be put down."

The injured phantom looks down at its flickering hands and begins to howl, while the other phantom attacks Killitz.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Human Guard: death save - (1d20)[4]

Ghost Guard: Uses Horrifying Visage
    Phantom 2: Chilling Moan for (2d8)[8] cold damage to everyone
    Ghost Guard: Tries to Withering Touch Killitz - (1d20+5)[8] for (4d6+3)[19] necrotic
    Phantom 3: Tries to Ghostly Grasp Killitz - (1d20+3)[17] for (2d6)[11] necrotic

Edit: Just crossing out the ghost guard's attack. I messed up and had it attack after it already did its Horrifying Visage.

Ghost Guard: undamaged
    Phantom 1: 12 damage taken
    Phantom 2: 8 damage taken
    Phantom 3: undamaged

[I need Gwen and Killitz to give me 2 wisdom saving throws. One against the phantom's Chilling Moan, the other against the ghost guard's Horrifying Visage. You can choose which result applies to which save after seeing the results.

Gryff, please can I get one wisdom save from Xander against the Horrifying Visage. Unless you think Xander's within 30ft of the moaning phantom, in which case you can have the same deal as Gwen and Killitz.

Konstantin is hiding out of sight and is probably just out of range of the moan.

Chilling Moan DC13: Save for half damage. Failure means full damage + frightened for 1 round. Failure by 5 or more means paralyzed for one round.
    Horrifying Visage DC13: Failure means you're frightened for 1 minute. Failure by 5 or more means you age 10-40 years(!) until you can seek healing.]
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-08-19 at 04:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

In school, Gwen had always had trouble concentrating. The slightest sound or flash could draw her attention. But on the battlefield...

To Gwen, the wail was white noise. The ghost's spells might not have existed. Her world consisted of her and her opponent.

Spoiler: One more time?
    Show
    Main Attack: (d20+5)[21] Damage: (d0+5)[6]
    Bonus Attack: (d20+5)[11] Damage: (d4+3)[5]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: wisdom saves:
    Show

(1d20+2)[21]
    (1d20+2)[7]

7. - Top - End - #67

The wave of dark energy shakes Killitz and Xander to their cores. They seem to grow older at the horrifying sight, lines of weariness and fear etching themselves into their faces as they age (1d4)[3]x10 years.

[Killitz and Gwen take 4 damage from the chilling moan. Killitz and Xander are also Frightened by the ghost slave-guard, imposing disadvantages on attack rolls, and making them unable to force themselves closer to the source.

Killitz and Xander can still act this round within those limits. I also think Konstantin, who escaped both effects by prudent hiding, can still act.]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: magic missile attack
    Show
    (1d4)[2]
    (1d4)[4]
    (1d4)[3]

Xander feeling older from the effects and unwilling to get any closer moves a half move away and fires off three blue darts at the nasty guard ghoul thing.
    Spoiler: my new age
    Show
    my new age is now 67.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-08-22 at 07:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Konstantin peeks out from behind the pillar and sees the effects the phantoms are having on the group.

"Wonderful. Alright, time to borrow some fire."

In a whirl of his cloak, Konstantin produces three jets of flame that arc towards the combatants, one for each.

Spoiler: Rolls & Things
    Show

Scorching Ray towards Ghost Guard - (1d20)[12](12) +7 Damage (2d6)[3][3](6)
    Scorching Ray towards Phantom 2 - (1d20)[17](17) +7 Damage (2d6)[5][3](8)
    Scorching Ray towards Phantom 3 - (1d20)[20](20) +7 Damage (2d6)[1][6](7)

And then ducking behind the pillar once again

Mwahaha! A Crit on one of them! And hits all around for the others
    Last edited by Dragon Host; 2019-08-23 at 10:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Killitz swings wildly.
    Spoiler: attack with dis
    Show

idk how to roll disadvantage on this site so here we go
    (1d20+6)[18]
    (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11]

11. - Top - End - #71

The horrifying ghost barely finishes emitting its baleful energy when triple rays of fire shine out from behind one of the pillar. Two of the rays hit phantoms, completely disintegrating both, the other strikes the ghost of the guard in the face, causing the substance of its face to swirl and boil.

"Why won't anyone sound the alarm-" the ghost starts to hiss, but three more magical darts take it in the face, further weakening it. It doesn't have a chance to finish speaking before it has to dodge out of the way of Killitz' wild swing, straight into Gwen's glaive.

As the ghost's face begins to slowly reform, it's able to speak again. "Good. Only four more, and the riot will be done with."

Its free hand stabs out, aiming straight for Gwen's heart.

Show
    Ghost Guard: Withering touch at Gwen (1d20+5)[14] for (4d6+3)[13] necrotic.

Ghost Guard: 21 damage taken
    Phantom 1: 12 damage taken
    Phantom 2: 16 damage taken
    Phantom 3: 14 damage taken

[Player's turn! Killitz and Xander are entitled to another DC13 wisdom save at the start of this turn to try and shake off their frightened condition.]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

wis save: (1d20+2)[19]

EDIT: Killitz roars back and swings again having shaken off the fright.

Spoiler: Battleaxe go!
    Show

[roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    [roll]1d8+4[/roll]
    Last edited by YoFizz; 2019-08-26 at 07:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YoFizz View Post
    wis save: (1d20+6)[22]

EDIT: Killitz roars back and swings again having shaken off the fright.

Spoiler: Battleaxe go!
    Show

(1d20+6)[22]
    (1d8+4)[7]
    idk why it didn't work
    (1d20+6)[21]
    (1d8+4)[6]

14. - Top - End - #74

DwarfFighterGuy

Konstantin ducks from one pillar to another, hoping to shift up his location a little so he's harder to target if more of the undead come towards his position. The ghost guard seemed to be the last one remaining, but who could know when that could change?

With a grin he popped out from behind the pillar and let loose a blast of eldritch energy towards the guard.

Show

Eldritch Blast - To Hit: (1d20)[6](6) + 7 / Damage: (1d10)[1](1) + 4

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen knocks aside the ghost(?)'s attack and swings.

Spoiler: Let's finish this! (Maybe!)
    Show
    Main Attack: (d20+5)[15] Damage (d10+3)[7]
    Bonus Attack: (d20+5)[14] Damage: (d4+3)[7]

16. - Top - End - #76

Konstantin's eldritch blast sets the ghost reeling backwards, and the blades of Gwen and Killitz swoop through it, cutting its wavering form into separate parts. The last sight of it before it fades to nothingness is an expression of utter defeat on its corrupted face, and then its gone.

As the ghost's body fades, a portion of its image seems to congeal, falling slowly to the ground, where it collects into an irregular gray-blue blob, about the size of an apple. The shape settles onto the stone ground, slowly rippling in place.

With all of the phantoms and the ghost of the guard defeated, the undercroft vomitorium is empty, only the faint ringing of steel from the arena doors disturbs the silence, and only the shield and sword blasted from the wall display to indicate there was a battle here.

[Congratulations on defeating the sprirtual threats preventing travel through the undercroft! Killitz, Gwen, Konstantin, and Xander each gain 425 experience points. Anyone frightened is no longer suffering from that condition, but the aging effect of the ghost's horrifying visage persists.]

17. - Top - End - #77

DwarfFighterGuy

Konstantin barely takes a glance over his comrades before he moves towards the pool left behind by the guard. If there was something more here, this information could be valuable. Once he's passed them, he does speak. "Everyone alright?"

Spoiler: Investigation!
    Show

I would very much like to investigate the residue that is left behind, and perhaps even try to collect some if I don't deem it to be immediately harmful. What would you like me to roll for this?

18. - Top - End - #78

Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    The remains are more of a lumpy ball than a puddle, somehow holding itself together despite seeming to be made of smoke.

If Konstantin (or someone) can provide a good Religion check they may already know something, or you can try and collect some of it without a roll. Just from looking it doesn't seem obviously harmful, but it also doesn't seem obviously safe.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xander looks at the others, "Sorry I am late, my man servant Sebastian put the wrong pants out for me. Well any way if some knows how to bring me back to my fortunate good looking self, I would highly appreciate it. "

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Once the ghost collapses, Gwen takes a deep breath, and looks around at the group. "Does anyone need healing or-" Seeing Killitz, she does a double take. "How long was I out of it?"

21. - Top - End - #81

DwarfFighterGuy

Konstantin comes back to the group, wiping his hands off on his coat. "Not long, luv. Killitz looks good though. Distinguished."

He turned to regard Xander, who hadn't been with them before. "I always think the same. Can't go fighting the hordes of hell unless I'm wearing the right trousers. Where to next, then?"

22. - Top - End - #82

As Konstantin tried to sample the residue left by the ghost, he found that despite seeming to be a gas, it was quite cohesive. When prodded it rolled gently to the side, maintaining its rough shape. It could be cut easily with a hand or blade, but congealed back together whenever the pieces were adjacent. It could even be picked up whole, sitting easily in the hand. It seems like a leather or oilcloth bag would be able to hold it.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-08-29 at 12:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Huh?" Killitz is confused by the comments and starts to touch his face. Concerned... he cleans off his axe and tries to see his reflection..."I uh, oh no... Do you think this will wash off?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, I'm so sorry! Um, its not that bad. Maybe healing will help."Gwen feels a familiar awkwardness at having said not quite the right thing, and moves to heal Killitz, and the downed guard as well.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending two uses of Lay on Hands to heal the two above. Unfortunately, this seems more like a Remove Curse Problem, and Gwen's quite a few levels away from that.

25. - Top - End - #85

Gwen's healing touch makes Killitz feel marginally better, but his his skin and hair remain aged.

The effect on the dying guard is more pronounced. The axe wound Killitz on his head closes, and he begins to stir. The first sound he makes is a long groan, and then he opens his eyes, locking on to Gwen.

"Who... thank you!" Then his eyes moves over to Killitz, and he scowls. "You hit me!"

He tries to sit up, but then pales visibly, and lowers himself back down to the ground.

"Ugh. Am I dying?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen lays her hand on his chest, both to keep him from moving, and to be ready to apply a bit more healing if necessary "I don't think so.Why don't you tell us what happened?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to avoid spending all our healing on a random NPC, but sometimes needs must. Maybe one of us should pick up a Healer's Kit.

27. - Top - End - #87

DwarfFighterGuy

"You may want to be quick about it too. And start if you know of any other areas here that were hit by ghosts."

While listening to what the revived guard says, Konstantin keeps a watchful gaze around them, in case there are any ghosts or phantoms creeping up on their location.

28. - Top - End - #88

The guard takes a long blink, and for a second it looks like he's going to fall back unconscious, but he forces himself back to awareness.

"It happened during the performance. The Meadow Performers. They were doing some kind of sword routine. They had this enchantment, to make it... better, more spectacular I guess." He lets out a long breath. "One of them hit the device they were using and damaged it. There was this noise... and that's when the phantoms appeared."

The guard turns his eyes on Konstantin. "I don't know where they are. I think most are up in the stands. The Captain's holding it together up there. At least, she was... Some people fled down here, but I didn't notice anything chasing them before that thing overtook me."

He turns to look at Killitz. "I suppose I should thank you, for exorcising me, in a fashion."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    The guard seems weak, but the fact that he's awake and talking is a good sign.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Gwen nods. "We'll take care of them."

She checks herself. It wasn't her job to speak for the group. "I mean won't we?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Quite alright. You're very welcome. I'd do it again no problem. Any time you need exorcised... I'm here to help."