The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: (IC) Festival of Heroes 5 - Thrymskvida - Main

Umbear smiled watching ra's response touched home.

"The guild could do much to aid the town, im sure the princess will soon have words for bast to aid in these endevours. "

Umbear watched ra's expression.

"500,000, and you walk out of here with 50,000 in your pocket that bast doesnt have to know about."
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Ra's expression shifted abruptly, smile disappearing.
    "What do you mean, the Princess will have words for Bast?" he asked flatly. "If the Princess learns of the Guild's existence, she'll destroy us. Maybe not until after the demons are gone, but it will happen."

"He's right, Umbear," Qetesh piped up quietly, looking up at Umbear with a concerned expression. "I'm sure you expect she would make some kind of redemption offer, like if we give up our illegal earnings to help feed and rebuild the town, we'll be spared the dungeon. But she would not abide our existence after that. And any of us who refused to give up our gold would be hunted down... and many won't go quietly. Many of us would die fighting to get away from guards. And after getting out of the dungeon, many would go back to their old ways, even without the Guild. That would make them vulnerable, as well as unleash a lot of freelance criminals onto the streets... desperate ones, to boot. The Guild keeps the crime rates just low enough to make people feel safe and complacent and keep the Crown from enacting more and tougher anti-crime measures. People like me, especially, who do what I do... it would be open season on us. Without the Guild, we would have no protection from other criminals, and little way to seek justice for crimes against us without subjecting ourselves to the justice system for our own crimes."
    Qetesh looked away.
    "I've been lucky... my career has been in this city and this city alone. But I've met other girls, from other cities, where the branch leaders in the Guild aren't as strict, and from other countries, where there isn't always a Thieves' Guild in the first place. I've heard their stories, and I wouldn't wish their experiences on anyone."
    Spoiler: Aurora
    Show

Spoiler: Inaemehkiwak (Ina)
    Show

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"The way the thieves guild and the monarchy operate are foreign to me here. They ought to work together, as they do in countries Ive visted, I understand that the assassins guild has no place in most cities, other than operating as a contract filler for criminals of the state, like finding Cedric, etc. "

Umbear shrugged as he looked at the two rogues.

"Im sure she knows you exist, but nothing of your members or your operations. And I wont be the one to change that."

Umbear gives qetesh a squeeze before looking back to ra.

"I believe I made the last offer"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Ra looked faintly disgruntled for a moment. "We don't really get along with the Assassins' Guild, so I won't defend them. They have the privilege of being official because they operate outside the bounds of the nation for its protection. Supposedly. They're not supposed to take private contracts. The Crown decided long ago that it would be safer for the Royals and Nobles if the local assassins had some accountability. They're fools, but we do benefit from them being such."
    "The Thieves' Guild has no such privilege because the goal is to eliminate crime. They think their jobs programs and social safety nets are enough. But there are always going to be those who just enjoy flaunting the law, or don't feel like they can accumulate legal wealth fast enough to solve their problems," he said, glancing at Qetesh as he did.
    "Yes, you made the last offer... five hundred to the Guild and fifty to me. I like my tail attached, thank you," he said with a wry chuckle.
    "Five hundred and seventy five, final offer," he said.
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear sat and thought. He looked ra over again.

"This a monthly payment thing, or a lump sum agreement?"
    Festival of Heroes:

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Geiravor was sipping her drink while chatting with Mist and Hrist. "Sure. You can fight next time." She noticed Aurix returning to the den. 'Ah, Aurix. Everything go well?" She asked.

Jaylyn and Nameless entered as well. "What is that lovely scent, Jaylyn?" Geiravor asked.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2019-10-10 at 05:00 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War
    Prince Alloishus Figleaf of Lilygrove, Elven Spell Dancer

Bartleby Herrmannsdorfer, Dwarven Forgemaster

The Lily Blooms
    Nesse Nola, Paladin of Sarenrae

Festival of Heroes
    Co-DM and Princess Geiravor of Juvelnord, Aasimar Warpriestess

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix smiles and nods. "We're okay," he says. "Torilee's a bit worn out though. You having a good time?"
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

"It depends," Ra said.
    "Often times, it's very rich nobles making these contracts, and they pay upfront. But if you don't have the cash on hand, that's not the end of the world. We can split up the payments. We can do half now and half whenever you want before the year is up. We can do quarterly. Or we can do twice quarterly. Of course, if you come into money and want to pay the balance in full later, you're more than welcome to."
    "And as a special favor to a friend, I won't charge you interest for not paying lump. Sound good? What works best for you right now?" Ra asked.
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2019-10-09 at 07:01 PM.
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jaylyn lifted her arm to her nose and took a sniff. "Hmm... I'd call it 'o' de kitsune'..." Jaylyn said with a giggle. "Take one parts Lavender soap, toss in one Kitsune, bring the water to steaming levels with some dragon fire for that nice smokey after smell and rinse for thirty minutes." Jaylyn finished, trying to keep a serious face before busting out laughing.

After Jaylyn laughed for a few moments, she coughed to regain composure before speaking again. "Sorry for getting here so late, had to find a place to park my Demoness... I don't think Gorrun would like me bringing her into the castle, scaring the staff and alerting the guards..." Jaylyn said with a sly smile... "I still don't think he's forgave me for the clockwork incident."

"The guards said you wanted to meet with the heroes... And considering the lack of them here... It seems the meeting has already finished... I hope I didn't miss anything important." Jaylyn said.
    Festival of Heroes: Jaylyn a 5 foot Kitsune with golden brown fur, black ears, and golden eyes. She's an average build leaning on the smaller size. When in human form her hair is golden blonde, but retains her golden eyes. her build is still average but a bit bigger then in Kitsune form.

No matter which from she is in, she always seen in her white halter-top dress, carrying a 5 foot staff with a sapphire on top, and a jeweled necklace around her neck.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix looks up at Jaylyn with a slight pout. "Oh, you caught one of the demon women too? You were so gung-ho about interrogating one that I caught one for you, and turns out you caught one yourself! By the way, don't bring her into the castle or she'll explode. New defenses," he says as an aside. "Otherwise, we just had a few 'after work' drinks and talked a little about what we're currently looking into. Not a lot came up, just that we're looking into a priestess of Freya that Geiravor knows." Aurix moves a chair next to Geiravor and sits, placing a hand within her reach for her to take.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear looks down to qetesh for a moment before looking back to Ra.

"A monthly payment sounds good, so its even, 50,000 a month, and 25,000 the last month, does that sound agreeable?"

Umbear looks down to qetesh.

"I know your boss has been working, but Id like to hear from you on this."
    Festival of Heroes:

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

"Monthly wasn't an option I mentioned," Ra said flatly. "I could never go back with a monthly payment plan without interest! Unless... unless you made a down payment of half."

Qetesh was watching Ra intently, but looked up sharply when Umbear spoke to her.
    "Oh? Ah... Of course making the fewest, largest payments is typically preferred by both Guild and client, generally. You don't want Guild debt collectors coming after you anymore than they want to come after you. The faster you can pay and the less you have to interact with the Guild, the better for all our sakes," she said quietly.
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Geiravor smiled to Jaylyn. "My mother loved lavender." She smelled the air once again. "It suits you, Jaylyn-chan, but the scent might give away a disguise... or enrich it."

She took another sip of mead. "So how did your expedition with Captain Rackham go?" Geiravor asked Aurora.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2019-10-10 at 05:25 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear raised an eyebrow and smiled at Ra.

"If you are my collector, I wouldnt mind the company. But Twice Quarterly will be the option I select, that has been presented to me. "

Umbear looked back down to Qetesh.

"Not just that Qetesh... this whole thing. Do you want to be apart of this? Do you want to be exclusive to me? Are you getting what you want out of all this?"
    Festival of Heroes:

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh blinked, looking nonplussed for a moment. Then she looked down and chuckled.
    "Umbear, Mistress contracts are the fastest, safest and most secure way for a courtesan to make money. They are what I work towards, when possible. If I was desperate for this not to happen, I wouldn't have mentioned the option to you nor told Ra you were interested last night," she said sweetly.

Ra recorded the price and payment agreements on both copies of the contract and handed them both and his pen to Qetesh and Umbear.
    "Both of you read over that and make sure it's all correct and sign both copies. Then I'll sign both copies. One will be for me to take back to the Guild, the other is for Umbear to keep. First payment due immediately," the kitsune said. "As soon as that's done, I'll be on my way and leave you two to enjoy your evening!"

"Ah? You mean tracking demons out of town? Well, we did catch up to them, but they were nothing special. Just weak scum that evaporated under my hooves when we got close. The good Captain was rather disappointed he didn't get a chance to attack them himself, but I think he would've found killing them pretty unsatisfying either way," the centaur shrugged.
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #286

Jaylyn looked over at Aurix, noted the brief pout. "Aww, Aurix you DO care. I wished I'd known, I'd got you something in return." Jaylyn said with a sly smirk. "But Jaylyn's a big girl, she can take care of herself." Jaylyn said giggling, before taking on a serious tone. "But no seriously, we could get some useful information out of her... And if that fails we can send her into the abyssal tower. I might not be able to see though her eyes but, I'd still get a good idea what's in there. And who knows we could get her to bring items back out." Jaylyn finished taking a seat at the table.

When Geiravor complemented Jaylyn, she started mumbling. Jaylyn's appearance changed along with her clothing to that of a Noblewoman. She began speaking with a deep southern accent. "Well I do declare, Miss Geiravor-Chan. I do believe that is the nicest thing anybody has ever said to me." Jaylyn said fanning herself with an imaginary folding fan. She let out a lady like laugh before letting the disguise drop returning back to her true form. "We was taught at an early age. When taking on a form as part of a disguise, to make sure to take into account all five senses. It be silly for me to take on the form of a man smelling like a woman, and go into a mine." Jaylyn said glancing over at Nameless, making sure the dragon heard her.
    Festival of Heroes: Jaylyn a 5 foot Kitsune with golden brown fur, black ears, and golden eyes. She's an average build leaning on the smaller size. When in human form her hair is golden blonde, but retains her golden eyes. her build is still average but a bit bigger then in Kitsune form.

No matter which from she is in, she always seen in her white halter-top dress, carrying a 5 foot staff with a sapphire on top, and a jeweled necklace around her neck.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear nodded.

"If this is something you are interested in... then Im all in."

Umbear pulls out 75,000 Gold in a bag and sets it down on the table between himself and ra. Looking over the contract he nods and signs his name where appropriate. He looks over to Qetesh with a smile.

"I suppose qetesh, we are step closer to becoming engaged? "

Umbear chuckled at his jest.
    Festival of Heroes:

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Ah good. I'm afraid a disguise does me no good without a polymorph spell. It's fine. I'd rather tackle my problems from over a table." The Princess.

"Ladies... Aurix. Today I learned of demons on the loose. Aurora and Jaylyn, would you do me the honor of helping me track down demons? Today was a disaster, but could have been worse." She said.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2019-10-10 at 06:16 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh smiled and said, "I'd say as close as any other contract-holder has bee," and chuckled as she signed her own name on the two forms and handed them to Ra.

Ra checked one last time to make sure nothing had been changed when the other two signed, and set the forms down on the coffee table to sign where they could see he wasn't making secret changes himself. Then he handed one form back to Umbear and tucked the other in his pocket along with Umbear's sack of gold.
    "A pleasure doing business. I'll be on my way now," he said, sweeping a bow.

"Ah!" Qetesh exclaimed, jumping up. "I'll see you out, I need to have a private word with you real quick," she said hastily. She led Ra to the door and shut it behind them.
    Spoiler: DC 22 perception to eavesdrop
    Show
    "Ra, how much of the take is going towards my debt?" Qetesh whispered.

Ra was silent for a moment and sighed. "Not enough," he murmured.
    "You know the split for these kinds of deals is higher for the Guild because you don't have to allow for your living expenses. You haven't been paying back enough at a time to keep ahead of the interest--"

"I know!" Qetesh interrupted in an urgent whisper. "I'm doing the best I can!"

"I'm... sorry, Vee. It would have been better if the ogre paid the full price immediately. By the time it's all paid off, your interest will have compounded twice. I haggled him up as much as I could. And look--with your living expenses covered, you can pay the Guild all of your cut at the end of the year, and that will be nearly double what you usually pay the Guild back in a year! It's... progress. And I know you can wring the hero for plenty of expensive baubles you can hock when the contract is up." Ra's whispered tone attempted to be comforting.

"I-I know. I know the contract is a good deal for me, that's not the problem. I-I just... I just thought, hoped rather, that the Guild would've counted more towards my debt considering the price you got!" Qetesh whispered, sounding crestfallen.

There was a swish of fabric and Ra's voice sounded slightly more muffled, as if he were hugging her and speaking over her hair.
    "I know, Vee, I'm sorry. I'll do what I can, but it would've been easier to convince the bookkeepers to cut you slack if he'd agreed to pay in full upfront, or even half now and half later. Hang in there."

Qetesh let out a long-suffering sigh, her own voice also more muffled, as if speaking past arms around her.
    "I am, I just... I thought this," she paused, "was supposed to make my job easier, not drown me in debt so I can't even set anything aside for my dreams!"

Ra's tone sharpened a bit, though he kept his volume at a whisper, still.
    "Well, I told you not to go talk to the financial guys alone. If I'd gone with you, I could've talked down the interest. And right after, if you'd taken my offer--"

"No, Ra," Qetesh whispered, the sadness in her tone replaced by resolve, and sounding clearer, as if she'd stepped back.
    "I couldn't just throw away my dream like that. Not then, not now. I will find a way to pay back my debt in full and start making enough to save for my real goals!"

Ra sighed. "I couldn't make the same offer now, so it's really moot. I'm sorry. You know I'm rooting for you. I'll talk to the finance guys. But don't hold out too much hope."
    The sound of his footsteps started, and faded away into the distance.

Qetesh came back into the room with a big smile on her face and beamed at Umbear.
    "So!" she said, "we all got something we wanted! Shall we go out and have a celebratory supper?
    Or...?" she trailed off and waved her hands in a gesture inviting him to make suggestions.

"Ah, did your enemies escape you?" Aurora asked sympathetically. "I think we managed to mop up pretty successfully," she said, glancing around for the Captain.
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2019-10-10 at 07:14 PM.
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear smiled sweetly at qetesh. He watched Ra head out.

"Goodbye my friend, see you soon."

Umbears ears twitch, unable to not listen. He sighes a a look of sadness comes to his face. He does his best to hide it when she comes back.

"Celebrations are good, but I would actually love to just talk. Im sorry sometimes that my ogre ears hear things that are not meant for me. But you know how that buisness goes. I know Im a sucker and a mark, doesnt change the fact that I wanna help, even if its just to listen.... or burn financial records..."

He attempts to make a joke, but the moment he says it, he regrets it thinking it having gone too far.
    Festival of Heroes:

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix nods at Jaylyn's suggestion. His forehead creases as Jaylyn transforms herself and begins speaking strangely. "I'm not super familiar with Varrock's culture- what did you and the Princess just call each other??" he asks in blatant confusion.

Aurix nods at Geiravor's proposal. "Like we talked about at the meeting this morning...that WAS this morning, wasn't it?...there are multiple reports of demons in the city. And as we saw this afternoon, they are adapting their tactics further. While we've made the castle a safe zone, they've likely got spies in the city, and we need to find them. We also need to keep searching for demonic cultists." Aurix elaborates.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh's ears dropped, and a dusky red stole across her cheeks.
    "You... you were eavesdropping?" she asked, a waver in her voice, arms wrapping tightly around her torso.
    "That was out of line, Umbear," she said, looking away. "I said I wanted to speak with Ra privately. My conversation with him isn't your business," she said stiffly.
    "If that's what you want to have a conversation about, I'll pass. We should go have supper before the spell wears off and you ruin my upstairs neighbor's floor. We... can talk over supper, just... not about that."
    The small woman turned towards the door and waited for Umbear to catch up.

"Well, the good news is, as far as I could tell, those dragon wights came from the tower. That at least seems to indicate they don't already have an exit on that side of town like I was concerned about yesterday," Aurora commented, trying to be positive.
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As Gorrun and Aurix walk back to the den, Gorrun kept an eye on the little green-clad fae. Something didn't quite sit well with him. But what was it? Had Umbear even bothered vetting him? Seemed like Umbear's particular brand of recklessness to bring an unknown fae into the direct presence of the Princess with no real idea who he was or what he was up to. He stopped just short of the den. Malaika, could you take Umbear's friend here down to refill his mug, and maybe bring me one back when you come?
    Spoiler: Giant
    Show
    Keep an eye on him would you? Wouldn't want him getting into anything.

After the two of them head off, Gorrun steps into the den. He scowls when Jaylyn starts speaking in an odd way using unfamiliar accents and dialects that did not complement each other. He wondered what she was doing, but when Geiravor seemed unphased by it, he let it rest for now. Adding it to his running list of the Kit's peculiarities.

Do any of you know anything about Umbear's little fae friend? I've paid him little attention but I noticed that he seemed quite nervous around Viradessa and it gave me reason to question. I've sent him down to the dining hall with Malaika, so he should be in good hands for a while but I felt this needed to be addressed before he was allowed into privy counsel. Not everyone that offers aid should be trusted.
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear lowered his head.

"Sorry dear. Im bad about that. I will... endeavour for better."

Umbear followed qetesh.

"I will not press to ask questions about that then, I hope one day you'll honor me with it, But for now... supper."

He steps out and streatches, allowing himself to take up as much room as possible.

"mmmmm, back to normal, nothing wrong with small, but.... being your own size is the best."

He extends a hand toward qetesh.

"Shall i offer you a flight to dinner? On Ogre Wing?"
    Festival of Heroes:

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Malaika nodded. "Sure, boss." She lifted an arm up and picked up the leprechaun from Gorrun's shoulder and put him on her own.
    "What's your poison? Do you just stick to that weak ale, or do you like to throw back real booze now and then?" she asked teasingly as she headed for the door.

Qetesh mustered a smile and accepted Umbear's hand. "Sure, it's certainly faster than my walking pace, and cheaper than a cab. Do you have a destination in mind?"
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

McLaughlin smiles at Gorrun's suggestion. "Good idea lad! After all, a drink is much better in the company of a fine lass!" He looks up at Malaika and grins, attempting to be charming. "So, I didn't see you in the tournament...what's yer name?" he asks as they leave the area. In response to her question he laughs and says, "Lass, I'll drink anythin' ye've got, anytime! 'Cept cleaning fluid. Never doin' that again!"

Aurix considers Gorrun's question, respecting his paranoia. "Well...I shared a cab with him last night on the way back from the funeral. He claimed to be friends with Umbear, so I let him sleep in my quarters. He was talkative, but relatively harmless. His hat's an artifact, I checked it out with my goggles. He claims to be an expert in teleportation from somewhere far away who was here for the tournament but got trapped by the barrier. I have no idea how Umbear met him, but it seems to have happened sometime yesterday, at the same time as the cat. Maybe they're friends too?"
    Show

DM of Twinborn

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, try to keep up, little man, the Boss said my name when he told me to carry you off," she said teasingly. She laughed at his last remark.
    "What do you mean again? How much drink did you consume that you got to the point you thought that a smart idea? Or are you just the type who too-readily accepts dares?" she challenged.

"Not quite. He was around at least a day before that. Jaylyn and I met him at the Sylvan pub. Seems the rakish type. Probably not very trustworthy to gullible young maidens, but otherwise I doubt he's much of a threat. He's not unseelie, I know that much. That sylvan pub is warded against intrusion from unseelie fey. From what the proprietor tells, they got booted for their tendency to spike drinks as a prank."
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbears face lit up seeing her smile.

"Little blue shark, in the noble sea
    As the Ogre watches, tee hee hee;
    Golden blood in the water, makes her nose wiggle
    What does the ogre see in her, is it because shes little?
    swimming through the noble sea
    What is her cup of tea;
    Im in the mood for something savory,
    Says the Ogre watching, tee hee hee."

He takes off with qetesh in arm, toward the eatery that he and peter occationally met up at.
    Festival of Heroes:

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh looked away and giggled.
    "How long have you been waiting to let that out, Umbear? I've been compared to several animals in the past, but 'shark' is a new one! It's because of the teeth, isn't it?" she asked cheekily, facing Umbear again and grinning wide to show off her delicately pointed teeth.
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #300

Jaylyn looked over at Geiravor, with slight consern, "If you mean right now, I be doing you a great dishonor by not mentioning that most of my high level magic is spent. I can use the mana crystal to cast some highest level spells. But the time to spend refilling it, is time that the enemy could get the upper hand." Jaylyn said with consern in her voice. "If you mean tomorrow, then sure. Although tracking isn't my strong suit. Any suspects you think may be involved... Well I do have both magical and non-magical way to force people to talk. Jaylyn said her tone suggesting something less then pleasent.

When Aurix asked bout the customs Jaylyn wasn't too surprised. In fact she was more surprised Geiravor both knew of it, and used it correctly. "It's not just a Varrockian custom, most kingdoms in the area use it. Basically it's an honorable title that close friends use." Jaylyn said.

Jaylyn heard Gorrun ask bout the fae, she shrugged. "sorry General, but Umbear claims to be friends with all fae. Unless I was able to see which one your referring to, I'm unable to give you any useful information." she said apologeticly.