Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: (IC) Festival of Heroes 5 - Thrymskvida - Main

Spoiler: umbears room
    Show

Umbear nods in understanding.

"I understand, well talk specifics later. As long as we both have an idea of what the other plans to do. I plan to set my genie free."

He thinks things over for a few moments.

"Anything else.... bast?"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gorrun walks into the training grounds, slowing his breathing as he looks around for Warrick.
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Umbear's room
    Show
    The cat in the cameo didn't say anything for a moment.
    "No, I have nothing else to add right now. Just don't do anything terribly foolish. If you have anything you need to say to me in the future, signal me with the purple-flamed candle again. If I'm feeling generous, I will respond. But it's better to go through Ra. I just knew he wouldn't mention this issue to you, even if I told him to."
    "Don't get the wrong idea, it's not like he wants her to remain in debt. But he... lacks clarity... when it comes to her."
    "Now, I need to go, he will be here soon," she said vaguely.
    The image lost its animated quality and went flat and still again.

The small owl fluttered to the windowsill and stared at Queue, waiting.

Warrick looked up as Gorrun entered. He immediately set down the lance he was holding and walked away from the student he was sparring with.
    "General!" He clapped a fist to his shoulder and gave a short bow. "Are you here to check on my progress? I almost have these youths up to par with the paladins already on the field. Aurix has been helping train them, and they've been giving tips to him as he's new to paladinhood. I believe they will be ready for the field in another day or two. If you wouldn't mind a bit of unsolicited advice from me, I would suggest giving the unit to Aurix to command. He needs some command experience if he is to become Prince Consort some day. Plus these younglings have developed a rapport with him."
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2019-10-18 at 10:49 PM.
    Spoiler: Aurora
    Show

Spoiler: Inaemehkiwak (Ina)
    Show

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: umbears room
    Show

Umbear quips in a final request before she tunes herself out.

"Have our boy ra put together a file on unwin for me. ****er sounds like a evil bully to me, and not only for your sake, but for mine, I'll **** with him."

As the charm goes blank, queue removes the charm and places it on the window sill.

Umbear comes out of a trance and smiles to qetesh. His eyes linger for a while.

"Have our artists shared any good rumors?"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Welcome news indeed. Remember to stop and rest sometime. This astral training can take its toll far more quickly than we realize. And as as for Aurix, yes, I believe that he has proven trustworthy to myself and the crown. I will heed your advice on this one. He said with a smile.
    However the reason I've come at this time is because I need to know Camille's route. One of the other tournament heroes accompanied her on her tour and before he left, he formed an empathetic link with a local fae. The fae has informed me that he was injured early in the tour. I'm sure it's nothing the two can't handle, but I'm going to take some men out at make sure that none of these abyssal scum have breached our walls and made it into the outer villages. Besides, I wouldn't mind bumping a few heads together tonight to blow off some steam.
    Last edited by STDM Grizzly Ad; 2019-10-19 at 05:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh looked away.
    "No... nothing you'd want to hear," she said softly.
    "What kind of rumors are you hoping for?" she said, abruptly more cheerful as she met Umbear's gaze again. "I am probably a pretty good source, you know, especially about nobles."

Warrick ran a hand through his disheveled brown hair.
    "Well, I know I've pushed myself and these youths pretty hard, but soon I won't have to. I can rest plenty when these fine young paladins are ready to face those demons. We're lucky the gods have blessed us with so many who are called to service here. Benefits to a theocracy, I suppose. You were never really any more reverent than I am. Has having a taste of paladin magic changed that for you?" Warrick asked, gesturing at Gorrun's special shield.
    At the mention of Camille, Warrick frowned. "Markas went with her, huh? Oh, I know, I know, you didn't tell me which hero it was. But she did tell me she was going to invite him. I'm pretty sure she likes him. But after his whirlwind romance with Lady Hervir, I wonder if the attachment is a good idea. Oh well, she's grown and can make her own choices," he sighed.
    "I don't have her itinerary on me, but it should be among your paperwork. I know she doesn't work directly for the army, but she still has to get your clearance to act on the Crown's behalf in a combat capacity. So Trig should have that, since she's been taking care of that kind of thing for you while you're busy with the demons," Warrick explained.
    "But I do know Camille usually goes west, then south, then east and back up north. So that would mean the first town she'd come to west of the capital is Hillvale. Does that help?" Warrick asked.
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear smirked.

"I dunno, my interests are.so varied, I could be enamoured with anything."

He chuckles before smiling wide.

"A certain noble getting his.... member tattooed a royal color, silly things like that I've heard are great gossip and lite hearted"
    Festival of Heroes:

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

"Aha, you mean Duke von Shiruk," Qetesh said with a smirk. "I am... very well acquainted with his... citrine." She bit her lip to keep from laughing, afraid of making the tattoo artist mess up.
    "I know so many odd little secrets about so many nobles, I'm not entirely sure where to start. Is there anyone in particular you want dirt one? It would help to narrow it down," the courtesan suggested.
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear gave a mischievous grin.

"Oh dear, you know how to play my heart like a fiddle, play me a sweet melody, make it epic. Go for broke, I'd like to hear it all."

He chuckles in amusement, so excited to listen to hear qetesh talk about work and her exploits
    Festival of Heroes:

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That helps tremendously. Thank you. Gorrun said. I'll speak with Major Daring to verify before we head out. Keep up the good work.

He exited the training grounds and made his way to Trig's office.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix rubs his face. "If that's what it takes...Thanks, Aurora. All right, cat, heel." Aurix pats his side, signaling her to follow. (1d20+21)[31], DC 25.

If it works, Aurix guides her to Umbear's room. He holds up a hand and signals, "Stay!" (1d20+21)[30], DC 25.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

"Hah, you don't make things easy, do you?" Qetesh sighed.
    "Alright... well... uh... I guess I can start with when I met you. I was coming out of a certain odd couples' house after a party. They hire me a lot, but chronically underpay for what they ask for. Which is why I keep... taking bonuses... I don't think they mean to be cheap, it's just that for them, the things they ask for are normal, and they don't understand how there could be extra costs or risks involved in providing them. For example, Aja likes to, erm, 'receive', especially... in two directions..." Qetesh hedged, choosing her words carefully so she didn't say anything too incriminating in front of strangers.
    "So he often asks me to use some polymorph spells to alter myself and his wife to be able to accommodate him. It's not a problem, but of course, they never provide the materials for such spells, and don't seem to consider that I have to buy materials to provide that kind of service."
    "They're not cheapskates, they're just terribly out of touch and don't know how much the things they want cost, because they're so rich that they don't have to think about the costs of most things they want."

The gnome baronet looked up with mild surprise as she nearly bumped into the General on her way out of the office as he was entering.
    "Oh, hello General," she said, clapping her fist to her opposite shoulder and bowing at the waist.
    "What are you doing here so late?"

Cuddles sighed and followed Aurix to Umbear's room. She remained there when he left, glaring sourly at him from the doorway. She flopped down on the ogre's bed, which was just a little too small for her, her tail thumping aggressively against the nightstand, making the ceramic basin and pitcher there rattle dangerously.
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear smirked.

"With your new tattoo youll be able to accomodate that request alot easier. Being made of water and all, being able to fit into all sorts of.... crevaces."

He chuckled and smiled to qetesh.

"Who else? I am aching to know."
    Festival of Heroes:

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix, vaguely satisfied, leaves and goes back out to the front of the castle, looking for Nameless.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gorrun stops suddenly, not wanting to step on the halfling. Ah Major, I'm glad I caught you. I need to verify the route of our outrider Camille. I had hoped that you had her latest itinerary.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm... well let me see, who do I know you know? Uhhh, oh, alright, you know that gnome peasant that got titled for valor, right? Major Daring? Well, she was my 'date' last night at the funeral," Qetesh said with a sly smile.
    "And that's not the first time I've been with her. She calls on me periodically when she's feeling very stressed. She has a kind of strange sense of humor. She does not discard her militant attitude in the bedroom! Very domineering and demanding. I think I would almost say she's a selfish lover, but she doesn't ask for anything that requires magic or extraneous supplies to satisfy her. She is an average tipper. I've never stolen from her. She is a risky client for me," Qetesh admitted.

Nameless was still by the front of the castle when Aurix found her. She was carrying on a conversation with the butcher, who looked equal parts intimidated and charmed. The young dragon looked up as Aurix approached. She glanced at the butcher again.
    "Thank you, I appreciate your efforts to get carp for me. It's nice that you'll go out of your way for freshwater fish like that when you don't really have to," she told the man, dipping her maned head respectfully, unaware of the nervous look he gave her antlers.
    Turning away from the butcher, Nameless approached Aurix.
    "You wanted me to go somewhere with you, so I waited. Jaylyn is resting with guards at her door..." the sovereign dragon's brow scales crinkled with concern, and she looked at the cobblestones.
    "She's been acting a little off since we found that Dragon Seal. I hope it hasn't negatively affected her somehow."
    After a reflective pause, the dragon sighed. She met Aurix's gaze questioningly.
    "Where did you want to go?"

"Ah! Camille Clarke, an excellent brawler, runs a circuit of the border towns to challenge warlords and take on problems too big for guards or green soldiers. Sure, she just filed and got approved to return to the circuit. Hope that's not a problem. Seems the demon problem here is fairly controlled, and I was concerned that neglecting the border towns could see us losing them. Her itinerary is in her file, in that cabinet there, with the 'independent assets' label. Do you want me to pull her file for you or do you want to get it yourself?" the gnome asked.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbears face turns red when she talks about darling.

"Little Darling and you?"

A low chuckled murmurs from his lips.

"That is so unexpected... but now that you say it... I can't imagine it any other way. The way she speaks, her standoffish attitude, the way she interacts with people. Her... domineering personality. "

There is almost a squeal of delight in his voice. But he tries to calm himself down.

"Oh... dear qetesh... if you could lure her to our bed..., I would not mind that one bit."
    Festival of Heroes:

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix looks to the butcher. "If you need any compensation for helping her out, please, let me know."

Aurix pats the place where the Dragon Seal rests in his bag. He had nearly forgotten about it. To Nameless he says, "Yes, there is something we should attend to before the night comes. Follow me please." He unfolds his wings and takes to the sky, flying to where he had Fraener's body interred.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

No, you were on the way out. Don't let me hold you up any further. I'm sure I can find it myself. Have a good evening and get some rest. You've been pulling double duty lately. Your diligence is appreciated. As Trig leaves, he pulls the file and verified her route. Replacing the file he leaves the office and locks the door then he hails a cab and heads for the gate nearest the colossal hog.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

"You call her 'Darling'? She wouldn't like that if she knew," Qetesh laughed through her nose, trying not to disturb the artist working on her.
    "I can try to seduce her, but she might not be keen on being in a three-way. She isn't bi," she said.
    "So... who else? Ah, well..." she hesitated, wondering if she would be hitting too close to home.
    "Welllll.... ahhh.... Baron Ricksby..." she hesitated, glancing at Umbear to see how he reacted to the name.
    "He has been calling on me since I lived at Madame Beset's house. And he's been going to Madame Beset since before his wife's death. He was not a faithful husband. But I don't recommend trying to use that dirt against him. He is a very dangerous client for me, as he is extremely well-connected and has a lot of political clout. It would be nothing for him to get me in trouble," she murmured.

Nameless launched into the air and kept pace with Aurix.
    "I heard about what happened with Umbear this morning. Most people that I overheard gossiping don't seem to think he's guilty, but there are some that do. Are you worried about it?"

Malaika hurried after Gorrun as he passed through the castle wall gate.
    "Did you get what you needed?"
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Seeing Malaika sprint up alongside the cab Gorrun claps the driver on the shoulder and says Whoa this will do for now. he hopped out and faced her. What are you still doing here? Was I unclear? He sighs audibly I'm sorry, I allowed her to get under my skin and I wasn't thinking clearly. Well, what's done is done. We've lost some time. Ais, how are you feeling? Has the condition changed? We need to make up some time. Typical scrying takes some significant time. It seems like I saw Aurix do it much more quickly. Do either of you know where he is now?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, when you said 'the gate', I thought you meant the castle gate. I thought we were going to get a scrying scroll for Ais," Mal said, shrugging.

"Ah, no major changes. Like I said, I don't feel like it's quite an emergency yet. As for Aurix, didn't he say he wanted to run an errand with Nameless? I saw them flying overhead shortly before you came by the castle gate. He didn't say where he was going, but I have a hunch from listening to everyone talk. I think he wants to get the little dragon some closure. Did he tell you where he had his enemy's body taken after killing him?"
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix is about to respond when his body involuntarily takes in a sharp breath. He holds up a finger as the air struggles to come out in a sneeze...but then comes to nothing. Aurix exhales and says, "Honestly, I've been so focused on Geiravor's political situation and the demon war that I forgot about that already. My opinion? There's absolutely no way Umbear murdered a friend. If he was gonna do that, he'd have done it straightforwardly, the way he threw meat at me the other day. He's a joker, but not subtle- he comes right at you. And from Gorrun's assessment, it sounds like the General has the matter in hand. I'll keep an ear out for rumors amongst the nobles, but otherwise, I think he's got this."
    Show

DM of Twinborn

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbears face was still red with excitement as they talked about Daring. He frowned a little as his color returned to normal.

"If shes not into it, Im not the sort to want something he cant have, because he cant have it. Just.... bonus if shed be interested in... something shed be in charge of."

umbear got quiet when she mentioned the ricksby's. He shakes his head.

"Id never... not that family. Not even if I was angry..."

He exhaled quietly.

"Anyone else to excite me with dear?"
    Festival of Heroes:

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, he just seems kind of sensitive. Are you worried he'll react badly to people who buy into the rumors?" Nameless inquired. "He was so protective of me before and stuff, I didn't think he was guilty," she assured Aurix.
    "I guess you hero-types tend to accumulate a lot of ill-will along with the positive fame? I imagine there are some bitter folks out there who would be happy to see you fail, no matter the consequences to themselves," she remarked.
    "Hmm... Do you suppose you have any enemies lurking in your past that may turn up?"

"Ahh," Qetesh leaned her head back and stared thoughtfully at the ceiling.
    "Oh, well, the night after I was with you the first time, I met up with the Admiral. Elem Eldensson? Let's just say, he likes to put his sailor's knots to good use. And he is a massive cheapskate. I, ah, had to compensate myself for the trouble by a significant amount! I don't think he noticed."
    She hesitated briefly, glancing at the ogre. Then she looked back up at the ceiling and smiled.
    "And, he's not local, and not a noble in the way people here understand it... but I did meet a goblin in the city a few days ago. He seems pretty powerful, so I assume he came in for the festival. I'm not sure if he's helping with the demon problem or not. I have heard through Ra that there are some skilled warriors and mages who came in as guests of the festival and have kept out of the park but have still been fighting the occasional errant demon. I guess this goblin has been doing that as well. He has been kind to me so far. I believe he is a chieftain in his tribe, but as far as I'm aware, his tribe isn't here.:
    "But I guess it's unlikely you would know him, so there's not much entertainment to be had from hearing about him. So, hmm, who else?"
    "Oh, have you ever met Duke von Shiruk's heir? Lord Corvin. He and is human but his sister Qari is a suli like Denat. And Lord Corvin is secretly very jealous of that, because Qari will outlive him and likely outlive his children, meaning even though he is heir, she and her offspring will likely ultimately end up the titled bloodline. So Corvin is a bit of a rake as a result. He doesn't care much about propriety and takes advantage of his father's wealth and clout as a duke to get away with being a drunken, gambling womanizer. Truth is, I have avoided him, as he has made it something of a personal mission to spawn as many bastards as he can in the hope he'll out-reproduce his sister and ensure his line is the one to maintain the duchy. It's kind of ridiculous. In all honesty I'm not sure Corvin will even get to inherit. Denat is pretty disappointed in his son's squandering tendencies and doesn't seem inclined to step down. And he is quite healthy, even for his age, so it's quite possible he will outlive Corvin. The little rake probably also suspects that, which only makes things worse. But nobody dares talk about the von Shiruk family scandal due to how respected Denat is."
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear chuckled again, smiling to himself as she talked about the admiral.

"He reminds me of a gilded toy sword. While it may look pretty, with its gold-leaf accents and its shallow costume jewelry. But beneath all of it, its a wooden or Copper sword that won't stand up to the test of Mettle. He sure is good for a laugh, and I'm not sure if it's all boasting for lack of substance, or if there is something fundamentally wrong with his perception of the world. What sort of Noble is he?"

His eyes seem to shoot up when she mentioned a goblin.

"Zeet-Zeet? Owns the Boars Tavern that is outside of town? Rainbow teeth?"

His Brow furrows listening to Qetesh talk about Corvin.

"Are bastards viable heirs in this country? Because if he's looking to just create a horde of heirs to outlive the suli.... he doesn't need you for that, there are plenty of women in the town looking for social advancement who would offer themselves up. "

He mused to himself.

"I dont think youve... entertained the Valentines, but what do you know?"
    Festival of Heroes:

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

"No, it wasn't Zeetzeet, I don't think. This guy is some kind of caster. At least as strong as me, likely more," she said, making a small, careful shrug, still mindful of the tattoo artist.
    "Can bastards inherit? Sure. If they have proof of their parentage they can make a claim on the inheritance. An unrecognized bastard probably won't be able to make a claim to a title though, especially over legitimate heirs. But if a bastard child is acknowledged, then they become legitimate, in terms of inheritance, though the stigma will likely never leave them."
    "The Valentines? You mean that elven marquis? You're right, I've never had him as a client. He has a reputation for only liking human women. He keeps getting his heart broken as a result. I don't know much about him. He's said to be kind, and contributes tremendously to Juvelnord's social programs. Very upstanding and well-respected, if eccentric. He's the only elf I've ever seen who wears his hair short," the blue goblinoid woman remarked.
    "His twin daughters are something of a different story. Rumors of scandalous behavior has followed them since their teens, but nothing is confirmed. Lord Valentine doesn't seem the type to do a cover-up though, so I think they're largely unsubstantiated."
    "The only rumor that seems to hold any merit is that the girls have rejected all would-be suitors because they refuse to be parted. I don't know if there's anything inappropriate about their relationship to each other, though that is certainly a rumor. I just... I understand the twin bond. It's... difficult to be apart. Sometimes you don't feel like a whole person when you're away from your twin. And they've never really been apart, unlike my twin and I, who have spent significant time separated from each other, even when we were young."
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aurix shrugs but considers anyway. "I wouldn't have called Umbear sensitive until the other day. He seems...quite upset...that I beat him so publicly. I have no idea how he'll react."

"Sure, gaining enemies is part of the gig. You go out and you settle conflicts, and there are winners and losers. Even if you kill everyone who ever opposed you- which I definitely don't- you can stir up anger. The more famous you get, the more likely some of those loose ends will track you down somewhere along the line. But now? I really hope not. I've got more important stuff to do than settling old grudges, like protecting the entire material plane from destruction. Plus being Erastil's Paladin now, I think they'd be making a huge mistake."
    Show

DM of Twinborn

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear let out an 'Ah' when she mentioned that the goblin was a caster.

"Yea, the Elven Marquis Family... The girls are very sweet, They even danced with me without complaint or sneer. Id like to keep an eye out for them..., but it looks like Gorrun has the eye on them more closely than me. He's got enough arms to hold all their arms, he might be just what they are looking for. "

He smiled as she spoke about twins and her own experiences.

"What about their Aunt?"
    Festival of Heroes:

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

The temple Aurix sent Fraener to came into sight.
    "Maybe Umbear just hasn't felt safe enough to show his sensitivity," Nameless said reflectively. "He's had a lot of loss and faced a lot of lack of empathy and sympathy. But Juvelnord is different from any place I've been to before. The people here seem to care a lot."

"No, I don't really know much about her. She spends most of her time in Alfheim, managing the Valentine estate there," Qetesh said apologetically.
    "I'm not surprised they were polite to you. Despite the rumors of scandal that have followed them, their family has always been a stickler for propriety and etiquette. And their interpretation of such seems to exclude snobbery as acceptable behavior."
    "Anyone else you have questions about?"
    Show

Show