New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Mechanical Benefits of the Oath?

Hello All,
    Are there mechanical benefits of the Oath? Did Eugene get something for swearing the oath? I'm sure this has been described to death.

Thanks
    Mal
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mechanical Benefits of the Oath?

Uh, what Oath? Eugene from where?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do you mean the blood oath that Eugene Greenhilt swore after Xykon killed Fyron?

I'm not aware of there being an official 3.5 resource that had any blood oath or similar mechanic.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

What Eugene got from the oath was the determination to pursue it for a long while, just like with a normal oath but knowing there's external forces that will punish you if you break it. No mechanical effects that we know of.
    ungelic is us

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malfarian View Post
    Hello All,
    Are there mechanical benefits of the Oath? Did Eugene get something for swearing the oath? I'm sure this has been described to death.

Thanks
    Mal
    There is one. Should the taker of the Oath die without fulfilling it, he avoids having his soul sucked into the afterlife and remains in the outer planes as a ghost, bound to the normal manifestation rules for ghosts and spirits. He gets to manifest immediately to his firstborn n order to instruct him to kill the target of the oath. He can thereafter keep manifesting to him, provided the descendant is alone, at night, and has a proper family heirloom that serves as spiritual anchor.

If you think about it, if someone hates someone else so much as to take that oath while sober, those mechanical benefits are useful.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-08-21 at 03:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

EvilClericGuy

I remember asking this way back sometime between '06 and '10.

It was a different time so it wasn't at all unusual that The Giant himself answered.

I don't know the exact time frame, so I not sure how to go about looking for that post. or if someone has archived all his responses . . .

The gist I remember is "No Eugene gets no benefits from taking a blood oath."

I also remember it being compared to someone getting a tattoo while drunk.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kind of odd that anyone would expect there to be an advantage to swearing the oath. Do you get stronger or more intelligent when you swear the oath to tell the truth in a court of law?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Kind of odd that anyone would expect there to be an advantage to swearing the oath. Do you get stronger or more intelligent when you swear the oath to tell the truth in a court of law?
    I would have thought more like a morale bonus of some sort.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Last I checked Court Bailiff isn't an arcane spellcasting class.

I think it wouldn't be odd if you did, for example it calls to mind Exalted's Sworn Brotherhood spell, which unites a group of people to a common purpose (there is more to it, but superfluous for this discussion). People in that group get bonuses to assist and protect each other but also have difficulty acting against the group. I could totally see a mechanic like that being in effect.

Meanwhile I could also see it as just a way of demonstrating one's commitment to a cause, much in the same way tattoos can be, which calls to mind the scene where he takes the oath.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Potentially get a boost to “lawful” when the times comes for your Heavenly Reward Assessment ... assuming you actually worked to fulfill it.

Not much value while you’re still down there breathing though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I imagine Eugene only took it because he was so certain that he could wipe the floor clean with Xykon that it didn't matter.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    I remember asking this way back sometime between '06 and '10.

It was a different time so it wasn't at all unusual that The Giant himself answered.

I don't know the exact time frame, so I not sure how to go about looking for that post. or if someone has archived all his responses . . .

The gist I remember is "No Eugene gets no benefits from taking a blood oath."

I also remember it being compared to someone getting a tattoo while drunk.

Easy to find. Just go to your profile, and click on Find latest started threads.

Here's the thread in question.

No comment from The Giant, though.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aren't there the "Vow of ____" series of feats? Those do feel like they'd be kind of similar conceptually.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Easy to find. Just go to your profile, and click on Find latest started threads.

Here's the thread in question.

No comment from The Giant, though.
    Thanks! I had tried something like that but it only went 3 years back.

I could have sworn the Giant had responded. (Perhaps it was a different thread or question?)
    Well it was over 10 years ago. I could be blending different memories together.

Maybe there is something in the commentary of Don't Split the Party! I think that came out around the same time give or take a year.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2019-08-23 at 01:20 AM.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.