The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown OOC XI

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Er... I think we were waiting to see if there were any 'victory celebrations' this evening.
    Beyond the ones already described?

I may be missing something here but in any case I think it's probably something we can timesplit around rather than waiting to do everything strictly in sequence.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

I saw the post. I think it sums up Sieghard's plans for the rest of evening pretty well without the need for further detail.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey folks - sorry for going AWOL the last few weeks. This time of year in the northern hemisphere tends to knock my mental health a little, most especially when the clocks go back, and I was dealing with a little flare-up of my depression and anxiety disorder. It feels a little silly that that can keep me away from playing make-believe for fun, or even just checking in and explaining that I'm temporarily ill, but anxiety is a big stupid lizard-brain thing.

Anyway, I'm over the hump now, and will be catching up on the IC thread and having Urgrim ~do something rather than passively watching life go by.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

Good to hear you are doing okay Thragka and thanks for letting us know.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Glad to have you back, Thragka

Sentinel, I can resolve Morrslieb's scouting mission after you guys are done making your plans at the Duke if you like. Any specific instructions beyond "fly to Gilbertus' Manse and see what you can see"?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Double-posting to add here that with his AK (Theology), Adelbert is probably well-versed enough in Morrite doctrine to know that convincing the priests & the people to switch from burial to cremation will be challenging.

Also Sentinel did you see my question above re: Morrslieb?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, folks. Okay, having caught up with the IC thread, I'm intending to have Urgrim join the others at breakfast with my next post - seems narratively appropriate to have him interrupt Sieghard talking about the spear.

(I'm thinking Urgrim has probably been camping a few miles outside the city for the past few days he's been absent - he'd probably had enough of human politicking in the wake of the early days of the month, and no interest in seeing Muzio's theatrics.)

8. - Top - End - #878
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Sentinel, I can resolve Morrslieb's scouting mission after you guys are done making your plans at the Duke if you like. Any specific instructions beyond "fly to Gilbertus' Manse and see what you can see"?
    ......why does that question worry me? Nothing too specific, except to avoid getting too close. I'm assuming it's not hard to spot signs that a place is being lived in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

"What do you mean, 'theological implications'? A body is just... a lump of meat. It's the soul that passes Morr's gate, is it not? Also I fully expect you to have me cremated if you outlive me. Or I swear my spirit will return to haunt you."
    There isn't much published detail on Morrite beliefs about treatment of cadavers, but they wouldn't spend so much time and effort on maintaining Gardens of Morr if they didn't think that the way you treated a dead body was important. Elsa has grown up in the Empire, she knows that inhumation is the way things are done. People aren't going to turn their backs on thousands of years of tradition because a wizard told them to, particularly in the cult that's grown up around maintaining those traditions.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-14 at 09:33 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #880

There isn't much published detail on Morrite beliefs about treatment of cadavers, but they wouldn't spend so much time and effort on maintaining Gardens of Morr if they didn't think that the way you treated a dead body was important.
    Morrites have rites that (theoretically) keep bodies from coming back from the dead; that's, in fact, a big part of the Morrites' purpose. Not only have those rites just proved inadequate against the kind of magical muscle we're dealing with, but the Church of Morr in the Reaches is now greatly weakened.

In light of these facts, I don't think anyone would find it unreasonable to bend tradition a little bit.

People aren't going to turn their backs on thousands of years of tradition because a wizard told them to, particularly in the cult that's grown up around maintaining those traditions.
    Well, I'm not planning to go around enforcing anything.

The point here is: "Look. Many of you just saw zombies rise from consecrated ground. There will be more of them in the future. One day it could be your mother-in-law. Do you really want to deal with your mother-in-law again, and as a zombie to boot? No? Then I'm just saying... there is an option to keep her well and truly dead. Use it, or don't. But we strongly suggest that you do."

For traditionalists, I guess we can build stronger coffins and dig deeper graves.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-14 at 11:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Morrites have rites that (theoretically) keep bodies from coming back from the dead; that's, in fact, a big part of the Morrites' purpose. Not only have those rites just proved inadequate against the kind of magical muscle we're dealing with, but the Church of Morr in the Reaches is now greatly weakened.

In light of these facts, I don't think anyone would find it unreasonable to bend tradition a little bit.
    Maybe the traditions don't revolve 100% around minimising the effectiveness of necromancy? Maybe they are just about what people think Morr wants/what is a respectful way to treat the dead, same as every real-world religion. What is 'reasonable' isn't the whole story when you're talking about articles of faith.

In any case this is not something to stop play for: you can talk to Cezar if you want to resolve it IC. I just wanted to stress that Elsa has grown up in this world and so the concept that there are norms and taboos shouldn't be foreign to her. As a wizard I can see her having decided they don't apply to her, but the rest of the party might find that a mite disconcerting too.

Anyway, I feel like we have lost a bit of momentum here. I think we've resolved that Elsa is planning to attend the Conclave at Adelbert's request, and that Sieghard is planning to go fetch the spear (though I don't think I've heard details of when or with who?). Is there anything else you guys wanted to cover or do you want to move on?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, obviously there's no point bogging things down by having PCs repeat their conversations, or narrate what should be common knowledge of recent events, for Urgrim's sake just because I wasn't posting, so I think all I want to know is whether Adelbert officially wants Urgrim present at the Conclave. What might be worth discussing IC is the suggestion to retrieve the spear, because it'd be helpful to see how openly Sieghard and Ludo discuss that in Urgrim's presence.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

I hope you weren't expecting it to be easy. Where's the fun in that?
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-11-15 at 06:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to suggest we combine the trip to get the spear with trying to look into Kheneb-ptra-urush again. Then we can be all like "hey look what we found. guess we missed it last time, eh. anyway here you go. why is the haft new, you ask? wierd. pyramids, eh."

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

"What happened to that long pole with a rag wrapped around the end that I've been carrying around until now? Dropped it. Figured it wasn't worth stopping to pick up."

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

why is the haft new, you ask? wierd. pyramids, eh.
    I heard if you put a razor in a pyramid it keeps it sharp

In other news: well well well, look who's come crawling back like a bird on its belly.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope you weren't expecting it to be easy. Where's the fun in that?
    Heh, fair enough for Sieghard. I take it he's not surprised enough for a Perception test to have any possibility of success?

I'm sure they'll burn that bridge when they come to it.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

I heard if you put a razor in a pyramid it keeps it sharp

In other news: well well well, look who's come crawling back like a bird on its belly.
    I have an eyebrow raised but only a single eyebrow. GW could "Support" WHFB by selling a rulebook and a pack of square bases. Horus Heresy gets a bunch of new models but very little if any rules support (though I would understand if your perfect future for WHFB was "they release an official rulebook and bases and then step the **** away before spoiling it").

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

IDK, I feel like if all I want is an 'official' rule book then I already have several editions' worth to choose from. What GW can do that I'd most care about would be to resurrect the scene - to attract enough players to a once-again living game that I could go out to a games club and actually put my old square-based lizards on the table. I'm also not so much of a crusty old grognard that I don't think some of the changes in the way they do things since AoS came out wouldn't make a resurrected WFB better (e.g.; small releases on short timescales that explore new territory rather than a slow rotation of monolithic, recycled army books; remembering occasionally that non-white, non-male people exist).

I'm not going to put my trust in GW or get my hopes up too much (if nothing else 3 years is a long wait), but at the same time, they've got my interest. I hope it's not something they're going to hive off to Forge World as a collector's item for rich nostalgic types, but we'll see.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-15 at 01:49 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

"Why aren't they buying Age of Sigmar!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    Heh, fair enough for Sieghard. I take it he's not surprised enough for a Perception test to have any possibility of success?
    I read the situation as him being surprised enough that it was obvious with no test, but since nothing specific about the spear was said Urgrim really wouldn't have much to go off of. If you want to do a roll for whether Urgrim can tell Sieghard is intentionally clamming up rather than just surprised to see him (he did just disappear into the wilds for a few days), here's a fel roll for how obvious Sieghard is being. (1d100)[100] vs 54.

Edit: A small part of me wants to reroll that because of just how bad it is (even though I kinda feel using rerolls on tests against other players is in bad taste). The louder part finds that amount of failure too hilarious to pass up.

I have an eyebrow raised but only a single eyebrow. GW could "Support" WHFB by selling a rulebook and a pack of square bases. Horus Heresy gets a bunch of new models but very little if any rules support (though I would understand if your perfect future for WHFB was "they release an official rulebook and bases and then step the **** away before spoiling it").
    IDK, I feel like if all I want is an 'official' rule book then I already have several editions' worth to choose from. What GW can do that I'd most care about would be to resurrect the scene - to attract enough players to a once-again living game that I could go out to a games club and actually put my old square-based lizards on the table. I'm also not so much of a crusty old grognard that I don't think some of the changes in the way they do things since AoS came out wouldn't make a resurrected WFB better (e.g.; small releases on short timescales that explore new territory rather than a slow rotation of monolithic, recycled army books; remembering occasionally that non-white, non-male people exist).

I'm not going to put my trust in GW or get my hopes up too much (if nothing else 3 years is a long wait), but at the same time, they've got my interest. I hope it's not something they're going to hive off to Forge World as a collector's item for rich nostalgic types, but we'll see.
    My first thought when AoS was announced was "this is dumb, it's going to die and they'll Coke Classic original Warhammer". It's nice to finally be proven right, at least about the latter. Hard to be excited after they burned what good will I had for them though. It'll have to be a wait and see from me. There were never all that many people to play with in my area anyways.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-11-15 at 06:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

He's a subtle fellow, our Sieghard. Sure, I'll roll a benchmark Perception test, just to see how alert Urgrim is. (1d100)[56] against 74 base, but it's not like Urgi's got anything to be suspicious of.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-11-15 at 06:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Credit where it's due, AoS is doing well. I don't know how well compared to old Warhammer, but my instinct is that at shops and clubs I see as many people buying and playing it as 40k. You can level an awful lot of fair criticisms at it but I would suspect "financially unsuccessful" is not one of them.

23. - Top - End - #893

Credit where it's due, AoS is doing well. I don't know how well compared to old Warhammer, but my instinct is that at shops and clubs I see as many people buying and playing it as 40k. You can level an awful lot of fair criticisms at it but I would suspect "financially unsuccessful" is not one of them.
    I pretty much stopped playing it, for my part, and I'm not seeing much of it anymore at my local gaming club. There's one rule that ruins everything, for me and for many others: the damnable "roll to see who gets to act first this round" (aka the possibility of someone getting a double turn). This rule adds a huge amount of unpredictability to a game that already has plenty, and makes it hard to plan more than one turn ahead. I'm told many players straight-up ignore this rule.

Also I think armies rely too much on synergies. It's good to have some synergies, and also to have armies that rely more on them than others, but it becomes a problem when synergies end up severely limiting what an army can field and still have a fighting chance. Sometimes it feels like the outcome of a game comes down to only two things: 1. list-building, and 2. the aforementioned who-goes-first roll.

It's not all bad, mind. The rules of the game are fairly streamlined and beginner-friendly. It's also nice that unit rules are freely available online, which cuts down on the player-with-most-money-to-spend-on-sourcebooks advantage. I think a new edition, which brings some tweaks here and there and avoids throwing the baby out with the bathwater, could greatly improve the game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Please folks, this discussion of what a financially successful decision it was for GW to murder WFB and reanimate its mangled corpse will depress me right back into inactivity.