The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown OOC XI

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Eh, in a meta sense, not really. The two of them have as many fate points as makes a good story. In a alternate version of the game, maybe we lost here and never fought them until the end and they still died there because it was the climax of the entire campaign. Their survival is "because the GM says so" more than it is LCP deciding in advance that Klammenberg has X FP and the vampire has Y.
    That's what I assume as well. They lived because they were still essential to the plot, not because they had Fate Points.

If we had started running the moment Klammenberg escaped, we could've gotten out with no casualties. Possibly even among the NPCs.
    Doubt it. Retreating (be it through the zombies or out the window) may have sounded like our best option in-story, but it presented several challenges from a mechanical standpoint. Especially while taking 1d10 damage per turn.

Trusting Klammenberg. Yeah, I'm sure that would've worked.
    I'm still kind of curious what would have happened if "the leader of the barbarians" had tried to negotiate with the monster.

Again, it shrugged off 11 damage fireballs without a scratch. That should've been the giant red flashing warning letters that shattered any assumption about it being a minor villain.
    For me it's mostly the Magic 5 thing. Higher than a Wizard Lord. At the time I assumed a Necrarch vampire, as Necrachs are known as powerful wizards, but it may very well be a small god.

Maybe most importantly of all, we learned a lot about how to fight them.
    Next time I hope we have the spear on hand.

We also haven't figured out how silver affects the monster. It flinched from Ludo's silver crossbow bolt even though the bolt did not overcome the soak. Maybe silver weapons deal double damage after soak, or something like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Doubt it. Retreating (be it through the zombies or out the window) may have sounded like our best option in-story, but it presented several challenges from a mechanical standpoint. Especially while taking 1d10 damage per turn.
    Worked for Adelbert. Maybe it couldn't target him after he left or maybe it could, but didn't because he was no longer a threat and others were. Either way, I imagine if people started fleeing, but Sieghard stood in it's face for a round or two, it would target him over them.

I'm still kind of curious what would have happened if "the leader of the barbarians" had tried to negotiate with the monster.
    Same. I think it would've been a bad idea, but I was still tempted to go along with it just to see what would happen. In the end though, I figured Sieghard would much rather take the chance to kill Klammenberg while he had it.

For me it's mostly the Magic 5 thing. Higher than a Wizard Lord. At the time I assumed a Necrarch vampire, as Necrachs are known as powerful wizards, but it may very well be a small god.
    In the grand scheme of things, is there a difference? Where does the line from one end and the other begin?

Next time I hope we have the spear on hand.

We also haven't figured out how silver affects the monster. It flinched from Ludo's silver crossbow bolt even though the bolt did not overcome the soak. Maybe silver weapons deal double damage after soak, or something like that.
    Retrieving the spear has definitely jumped up on the list of priorities. As for the rest, we know silver does something even if we aren't sure on specifics. We know it has 7 toughness and getting rid of its magic armor is high priority when fighting it. We know its deadly in close combat, with 4 attacks that deal 6 damage hits unarmed (hopefully those claws count as natural weapons, because if that's normal unarmed damage, that's pretty damn scary). We know what it can do, we just need to figure out how to counter that. Elsa took Dispel. Adelbert should too at some point when his magic gets high enough to make use of it. Two attempts are better than one and we also have Klammenberg to worry about. Blessing of Courage was incredibly useful. Blessed weapon also presumably would be. There was no time to cast it, but Elsa does have access to Hearts of Fire which would help a lot in any situation against scary enemies where she has time to cast. Just a few of the things that come to mind.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I'm hoping that his remains can be used to make Lady Sforza actually begin to take this seriously.
    Think I saw a plan like this on Game of Thrones...
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't know. I stopped watching that garbage after the idiots running the show ran out of book material and the quality went over a cliff. Though I did come back for the last half of the final season because I heard about the backlash and wanted to watch the dumpster fire.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

(1d100)[12] vs 41 toughness

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Alrighty let's see if the blanket boys can catch Sieghard. There's plenty of them so I'll give them a +30:

(1d100)[82]
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

And yes, even with a fail the catch still cushions the fall. Sieghard takes a Damage 0 hit ignoring armour: (1d10)[5]
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Have edited the last IC post to include all the results above.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know how relevant the bloodlines are - if it's ancient Nehekeharan, it probably predates them. Or, at least, is contemporary with the very first vampires.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Feeling cross now that I named it Sundial Passage and not Pudding Lane.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Feeling cross now that I named it Sundial Passage and not Pudding Lane.
    Well that's not ominous.

I have a feeling Elsa's popularity might take a hit.

12. - Top - End - #42

There was no time to cast it, but Elsa does have access to Hearts of Fire which would help a lot in any situation against scary enemies where she has time to cast.
    Hearts of Fire is kinda crummy, to be honest. In addition to the casting time (two whole rounds, during which many people will have time to pass their Fear or Terror tests without assistance), it's got a high-ish casting value, and in the end it only provides a bonus to Fear and Terror tests, not an auto-pass. Ideally I would have to cast it with the foreknowledge that we're about to face something scary.

Granted, it's not as useless as the touch spell that makes the target attack the nearest person. Or the one that makes food spicy. But it's still one of the weaker Lore of Fire spells.

Think I saw a plan like this on Game of Thrones...
    Hah, reminded me of that, too. At least Irene is (nominally) an ally to begin with; just an apathetic one.

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    I have a feeling Elsa's popularity might take a hit.
    What are you talking about? You all saw it: Klammenberg set fire to his own house in hopes of burning us inside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Hearts of Fire is kinda crummy, to be honest. In addition to the casting time (two whole rounds, during which many people will have time to pass their Fear or Terror tests without assistance), it's got a high-ish casting value, and in the end it only provides a bonus to Fear and Terror tests, not an auto-pass. Ideally I would have to cast it with the foreknowledge that we're about to face something scary.
    Definitely dependent on you having time to cast it, but it does affect all allies and a +20 boost is pretty damn good for guys with only 30ish WP to begin with.

What are you talking about? You all saw it: Klammenberg set fire to his own house in hopes of burning us inside.
    Yes, this is the way I remember it happening as well. Clearly there was something in there he didn't want us to find so he set fire to it once he realized he couldn't beat us.

Doing a bit of running around, but I'll get an IC post up when I get home.

14. - Top - End - #44

Hey, are there celebrations in the city right now? Perhaps there are a lot of people currently awake, if you know where to find them. (Granted, many of them are likely too drunk to be of much use.)

The magical part should already be out by then. Since Elsa's magic was reduced, the curtain only had a 2 minute duration.
    This is open to interpretation, but I'm pretty sure that any ongoing spell keeps whatever quantitative characteristics (including duration) that it had at the time it was cast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

The Saga celebration is ongoing at the Dwimmulhold. I don't know what celebrations there would be in the rest of the city, Geheimnistag is tomorrow.

I'll hold off 1 more day to see if Thragka rejoins us, since Urgrim arriving and helping out would be fairly significant. Then the dawi autopilot will resume.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #46

thragkaaaaaa please don't let the city burn down
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-08 at 10:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

thragkaaaaaa please don't let the city burn down
    To the tune of "Roxanne"?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

You don't have walk the street for money... Because the street's on fire.

Seriously, please help put it out.

19. - Top - End - #49

While Urgrim is celebrating Saga, our characters are living out an ACTUAL saga.

His loss!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #51

Amazingly appropriate GIF.

I take it Zhufund is the Dwarven name for the city? I didn't know that.

By the time Adelbert returned to the scene, Sieghard's firefighters had been forced to retreat from Sundial Passage, the whole alleyway now a raging wall of fire. Fires were spreading north and south down Tower Street, the drifting curtain of smoke they sent up shedding embers over the roofs of the Old Town to the east.
    Oooh damn, this is bad.

I think Elsa is out of a job... especially with the war winding down and battle wizards no longer being needed. She may even have to leave the city for her own safety as soon as she has recovered enough to travel. Let's hope the PCs find opportunities to continue their quest outside Savonne.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-10 at 08:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

It felt appropriate And yes, Zhufund is the dwarf name for Savonne, according to the Dwimmulson records anyway.

As indicated in my IC post, Urgrim will help coordinate the cutting of firebreaks. He doesn't have Command, which is why I'm hoping Ludo can join that task, though I'm not sure if Ludo is well enough to do that. But if so, I hope that Urgrim's strong Speak Language skills (and Ludo's too) can be used to make sure the human-dwarf team is communicating as efficiently as possible on that job. Other possibly relevant skills to that job might be using Urgrim's Perception / Outdoor Survival know-how to figure out where to cut firebreaks. LCP, I know your usual approach when players try to use skills in crafty ways is to tell us to roll the bones and see what happens, but is this the sort of thing you had in mind by "any other approriate skill"?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I'm assuming Ludo is down for the count: LCP has kindly allowed me to talk while helpless but I dont think that extends to Command and Speak Language tests.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2019-08-11 at 06:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Makes sense. Well, I think Urgrim's still probably best placed on firebreak duty even without Command trained.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I'd assume Ludo's been taken to the hospital with the others. Which reminds me, probably time to make the paralysis rolls. For the NPC halberdier: (1d100)[76]

@Thragka: I don't think just relaying instructions would entail anything requiring a Speak Language test (and most of these dwarfs speak Reikspiel to begin with). Outdoor Survival seems reasonably appropriate for assessing where to put firebreaks though... let's say at a -10 penalty for the unfamiliar setting of a human city.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I must have misses the casualties being taken away.

(1d100)[78] vs Toughness 31 (?)
    (1d100)[69] re-roll.

That looks like a burned fate point from Ludo?
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2019-08-11 at 10:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert doesn't have Command but he does have Charm, Public Speaking and Master Orator. Maybe not useful for crowd control but he might be able to help if there are disputes.

Alternately he could be putting his Heal skill to work - even with Surgery he's pretty good and can at least help stabilise people long enough before they can be taken to the Hospital which I'm guessing is overworked right now.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I take it that you're just musing on responses to what might happen since I don't see Adelbert doing these things in the IC.

Gonna roll Thragka's test for him so I can throw up a more meaningful update: (1d100)[4] 10/10 excellent firefighting.
    Will throw in a fortune point re-roll since the day's going to roll over anyway so there's no question of waste: (1d100)[32]
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-11 at 11:16 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure what did I even come back to the game for, Urgi'd be handling things better without me pulling the strings it seems.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Hah!

Realised I missed this question:
    That looks like a burned fate point from Ludo?
    Yes I think so (though he could not and go adventuring in a wheelchair).

Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-11 at 11:37 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb