The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown OOC XI

You know, when Sieghard delivers these reports to Irene, I get this bizarre, twisted Sam Vimes vibe - maybe if Lily Weatherwax were the Patrician.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    You know, when Sieghard delivers these reports to Irene, I get this bizarre, twisted Sam Vimes vibe - maybe if Lily Weatherwax were the Patrician.
    Heh.

Actually I think the WFRP rules could make a reasonably good Discworld game.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay for Adelbert being offered anointment! It seems quite fitting.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    Yay for Adelbert being offered anointment! It seems quite fitting.
    Thank you! I just hope I measure up to it!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

I've got to say, switching characters between Raqiyah and Irene is giving me a serious case of whiplash.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Sieghard and Ludo, this is where we do the Border Princes thing of murdering the current incumbent and assuming power in the chaos that follows. Get the ahosi on your side and we've won the campaign!
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-08-12 at 03:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm, I think we can be reasonable here. Let Valdes take care of the city. We'll share all of our knowledge with him, because we want him to succeed more than we want to prove a point. If the killings continue, Lady Sforza will understand that the matter is not so easy to resolve.

In any case, most of us are in no condition for another run-in with the vampire.

(Speaking of physical condition, did Elsa and Ludo get any Heal tests from the Shallyans? Every Wound counts when your natural healing is only 1 per week.)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-12 at 04:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    I've got to say, switching characters between Raqiyah and Irene is giving me a serious case of whiplash.
    I can imagine!

Okay, time to work out Adelbert's finances since he's lost almost everything but his literal money. He gets paid 1 gc, 7s and 6p a week, so after three weeks in-universe that is 3 gold crowns, 21 schillings and 18 pence. He also paid three weeks rent on the Lazar house which works out to 1 gold crown and 10 schillings. He can (and I assume does) eat at the Temple for free but I'll say he dines out once a week for variety so another 15p a week (for a meal and a stein at the Duke.) So overall profit is 2 Gold Crowns, 18 Schillings and 9 Pfennigs.

I have 142 Gold Crowns, 27 Schillings, 15 Pfennigs with which to buy, well, everything. I need a Noble's Garb for the Anointed Priest Career so if anyone wants to join me on a shopping trip they are more than welcome!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of physical condition, did Elsa and Ludo get any Heal tests from the Shallyans? Every Wound counts when your natural healing is only 1 per week.
    Here ya go:

Elsa - (1d100)[39]
    Ludo - (1d100)[56]

Two passes.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-12 at 09:33 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #100

I wonder how long Irene Sforza would survive in the Border Princes, if her husband failed to return from his campaign.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Long enough to be torn apart by an angry crowd.

12. - Top - End - #102

"What about the witch?" cried out someone else - a woman, by the sound of her voice. Sieghard searched the crowd, trying to match a face to it. "I seed her! I seed her set the fire!" She began chanting again, and this time a few voices joined her: "Where's the witch? Where's the witch?"
    This is getting worrisome.

Let's hope even an angry mob will respect the sanctity of a Shallyan hospital. In the medium term, we may want to start making arrangements to sneak Elsa out of the city.

And if things are really that bad, we may even have to Adelbertize her for a few months. I assume Putbad and Manann's Keep are fairly safe.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-13 at 08:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah...

If Elsa is considering a career change the Temple is probably hiring (actually semi-seriously it wouldn't be a terrible place to hide out in disguise.)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's necessary for Elsa to disappear until things cool down, but yeah, things are getting pretty bad. The fact that Sieghard seemed to use all of his luck not dying last night and can't roll to save his life now isn't helping.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to say, Volunteers shoving people in the crowd with shields sounds like the kind of thing that could (a) lead to cracked ribs, and (b) get ugly real fast - using polearms held horizontally as broader, less dense barriers might be safer and less inflammatory.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Oh I was gonna roll (1d100)[51] vs 72 Charm - no, lets spend 100xp on +20 charm, vs 82 Charm.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

It's already ugly and no shields means a better chance of our own getting hit with rocks or whatever else they throw. They also make a more solid wall.

18. - Top - End - #108

For the record, I plan to use most of Elsa's considerable wealth to make monthly payments to the newly homeless people for the foreseeable future. Not reparations for lost property, obviously (she's not rich enough to buy houses!), but enough to make sure nobody is out in the streets. I also plan to add a "so long as I am alive" clause, in order to not-so-subtly dissuade angry people from killing her until her money runs dry (by which time one of the following will likely have happened: tempers will have cooled, Elsa will have died on an adventure, or the geopolitical situation of Savonne and the Reaches will have changed to such an extent that the issue is moot).

We will have to make a list of those who lost their homes before we announce the monthly allowances, both to determine how much Elsa can spare per household and to prevent any schemers from making false claims.

But of course, none of this can actually get planned in-character as long as Elsa is cut off from the rest of the party! As of now, she has no idea how dire the situation truly is, both in terms of property damage and public opinion.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-14 at 04:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

How much of the military barracking was outside the castle? That could be a short-term solution, there's a lot fewer troops in the city than Sforza needs a place for.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    For the record, I plan to use most of Elsa's considerable wealth to make monthly payments to the newly homeless people for the foreseeable future. Not reparations for lost property, obviously (she's not rich enough to buy houses!), but enough to make sure nobody is out in the streets. I also plan to add a "so long as I am alive" clause, in order to not-so-subtly dissuade angry people from killing her until her money runs dry (by which time one of the following will likely have happened: tempers will have cooled, Elsa will have died on an adventure, or the geopolitical situation of Savonne and the Reaches will have changed to such an extent that the issue is moot).

We will have to make a list of those who lost their homes before we announce the monthly allowances, both to determine how much Elsa can spare per household and to prevent any schemers from making false claims.

But of course, none of this can actually get planned in-character as long as Elsa is cut off from the rest of the party! As of now, she has no idea how dire the situation truly is, both in terms of property damage and public opinion.
    While I think a lot of that is a good idea I'd be careful about making concrete plans before Elsa knows what the situation is with the Sforza's - if Irene thinks her position would be better served throwing Elsa to the mob the situation would moot! Even if things aren't that bad Irene might not be thrilled at Elsa handing out compensation money, since if the Sforza's do want to keep her around they might want to downplay the whole idea of Elsa's responsibility for the fire.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Even if things aren't that bad Irene might not be thrilled at Elsa handing out compensation money, since if the Sforza's do want to keep her around they might want to downplay the whole idea of Elsa's responsibility for the fire.
    Hmm, actually a pretty good point. I suppose Elsa could funnel her money through the government in order to help the people. She won't get any credit for it, but no one will go homeless and her conscience will be eased somewhat.

I've often portrayed Elsa as finding it difficult to take responsibility for her own screw-ups. But it's never too late for some character development.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-14 at 04:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa paying the people who have lost their homes will be taken as an admission of guilt. They will not forgive her, they will smell blood and go for the throat. That's just how angry mobs work. If she feels the need to use her money to help them, she should do so anonymously. If she feels the need to be seen helping them, she should do by clearing the wreckage and helping to rebuild - as someone who wants the city to recover rather than as someone who feels the need to atone.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Just to check I have the right itinerary: TheSummoner and LeSwordfish, your plan would be now to proceed to the Temple to show Udolf to Irene? If so, RossN, are you sure you don't want to hang around there to meet them?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, I guess I miscalculated the time the other events were taking. In that case I guess Adelbert better stick around the Temple after all (though he will still bathe and try and fnd something decent to wear.)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Just to check I have the right itinerary: TheSummoner and LeSwordfish, your plan would be now to proceed to the Temple to show Udolf to Irene? If so, RossN, are you sure you don't want to hang around there to meet them?
    Sure, that sounds good.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

For the sake of getting -Sentinel- back into things, we'll fetch Elsa first. Hospital is right near the keep anyways.
    You're gonna drag Elsa out of her bed? She's not just suffering from the Necromancy Flu like Ludo, she's got an arm that's mostly stitches and has lost a lot of her blood.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Drag, no. It's up to her whether she has the energy to get up or if she'd feel safer in the castle than the hospital. What Sieghard is doing is more of checking in on her, letting her know what's going on, and giving her the opportunity to slip out incognito if she chooses to.

Maybe "getting -Sentinel- back into things" implied more than I meant. It's a way to get a bit of Elsa's input even if she's in no state to head to the temple in person.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-08-14 at 07:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

It's up to her whether she has the energy to get up
    I've heard of mind over matter, but again, she's suffered near-fatal blood loss and had her arm sewn back together without anaesthesia. The Shallyans would have discouraged Ludo from leaving but they will insist on Elsa remaining, and having seen her injuries Sieghard has every IC reason to expect this before he sets out. He would also know that the Shallyans are the most beloved order of priests in the Old World and the odds of any angry mob storming their hospital are slim to none.

I don't want to get in the way of your IC decisions, just making sure that the IC information behind them is clear. OOC, I think Sentinel wants to discuss what happens next with the full party? Which would require Adelbert and Urgrim, who are currently at the temple and could return with you for a bedside visit after you're done there.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Fair. I've edited out the part about Elsa. I think we're good to move ahead to the temple then.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like Sentinel has ninja'd your edit. You should go ahead with the visit - hopefully this discussion here just saves a bit of time arguing with the Shallyans.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb