The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown OOC XI

Oh crap.

Um, can I retroactively making a Heal check just so I don't have to face Klammeburg flaunting 3 Wounds? I know Adelbert didn't get much sleep but we passed into a different day following the fight.

Also assuming he survives the next few posts can I switch careers? Buy Divine Lore?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahhh, I've missed these moments of escalation in LCP's games when the incipient storm breaks over the players and the other shoe drops. It barely needs saying, but your sense of drama and command of atmosphere is masterful, and one of my favourite features of your writing over these many years. The excitement and instant tension of this moment reminds me of some of (imo) your best scenes, in games where I've been either a participant or just a reader: an elf being burned at the stake by a witch hunter, the truth of the Raggedy Man and the warrens under Delberz, the horrid extent of the beautiful daughter's disease, a power failure at an auction, a conflict of interest between a priest and a policewoman, skeletal horseman in a wintry wood, and pixies whispering to children in a mercenary camp.

I know it's risky praising you because the Grey Seer atop the Screaming Bell of your ego is already pulling at a lot of the synapses in your brain, but I just wanted to take the moment to say, kudos, I continue to love your writing and GMing, and your creative labour is much appreciated!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

skeletal horseman in a wintry wood, and pixies whispering to children in a mercenary camp.
    Ooh, I don't know that I recognise these ones?

I definitely agree with the kudos. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Oh crap.

Um, can I retroactively making a Heal check just so I don't have to face Klammeburg flaunting 3 Wounds? I know Adelbert didn't get much sleep but we passed into a different day following the fight.

Also assuming he survives the next few posts can I switch careers? Buy Divine Lore?
    Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but what about not opening the door. Presumably there's a reason Klammenberg is knocking and asking to be let in rather than having his friend kick it down and start feeding on the priests. In folklore, sometimes vampires couldn't enter a building uninvited. So don't invite him.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the kind words Thragka, much appreciated . I've been looking forward to this Geheimnisnacht for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ooh, I don't know that I recognise these ones?
    They were on a different forum (and unfortunately good chunks of them are lost due to server failures).

Um, can I retroactively making a Heal check just so I don't have to face Klammeburg flaunting 3 Wounds?
    Yes, for sure.

Yes, that's what I put the spoilered bit in to represent.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, let's see:

Channeling: (1d100)[53] vs 53
    Blessing of Healing (5): (1d10)[8]

Heal: (1d100)[68] vs 76
    Wounds (if Blessing worked): (1d10)[8]

Buying:

Anointed Priest Career
    Divine Lore (Verena)
    Magic + 1
    Lesser Magic - Blessed Weapon
    Will Power +5%
    Will Power +5%

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Nice rolls.

Divine Lore (Verena)
    I forget if you have a copy of Tome of Salvation - if you want to use the extended spell lists in there, there's a choice of three lists (Verena the Just, Verena the Judge, Verena the Wise).
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

lol we're so boned

edit: odds on Irene being given the Blood Kiss, anyone?
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-08-27 at 08:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    Ahhh, I've missed these moments of escalation in LCP's games when the incipient storm breaks over the players and the other shoe drops. It barely needs saying, but your sense of drama and command of atmosphere is masterful, and one of my favourite features of your writing over these many years.
    Agreed! LCP is good at creating "oh craaap" moments that have some buildup leading up to them.

The example you gave that I don't recognize is the "power failure at an auction". Was this in one of LCP's Dark Heresy games? I haven't read those.

Nice healing rolls, RossN, but I don't know if more Wounds will save you. You certainly can't win a straight fight, though maybe there's another way? But I wouldn't begrudge you for taking up Klammenberg on his offer to GTFO. I'm amazed he's even allowing it.

Not sure if Nahorek is here for the priests or for the book; most likely the latter (and perhaps both). The guards we set will be next to useless against the Jackal, so the best case scenario is that they run in fear, assuming they have a way out. Fingers crossed for dwarf craftsmanship being what it's cracked up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    edit: odds on Irene being given the Blood Kiss, anyone?
    Damn.

Mind... I'm not sure her being turned Lahmian would change her significantly.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-27 at 09:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Nice rolls.

I forget if you have a copy of Tome of Salvation - if you want to use the extended spell lists in there, there's a choice of three lists (Verena the Just, Verena the Judge, Verena the Wise).
    Momentarily away from my books but I suspect which ever I choose I won't get much chance to use them.

Terror: (1d100)[13] vs 83

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

May as well for the sake of formality:

Charm: (1d100)[7] vs 56

Though I still think Klammenberg should roll an Intelligence test for siding with a psychotic ancient vampire monster. I don't care how power hungry you are, that is not a good lifestyle choice.

12. - Top - End - #192

Hmm. I don't think even the hypno-hobbit rolling a 1 could achieve much here. How long do you think Klammenberg has been serving dark powers? How much do you think he has sacrificed? When someone commits evil acts in the name of a cause, it tends to heighten their commitment to that cause rather than make them question it, because they cannot bear the thought that it was all in vain. This has been observed IRL, like in Nazi concentration camps, where atrocities against prisoners were deliberately ordered by officers as a "team-building exercise" for new guards.

And at the risk of skirting the edge of the political, there are also examples of this phenomenon happening in the news every day.

Though I still think Klammenberg should roll an Intelligence test for siding with a psychotic ancient vampire monster. I don't care how power hungry you are, that is not a good lifestyle choice.
    Some might argue that opposing the psychotic ancient vampire monster is not a good lifestyle choice, either.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-27 at 10:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Hmm. I don't think even the hypno-hobbit rolling a 1 could achieve much here. How long do you think Klammenberg has been serving dark powers? How much do you think he has sacrificed? When someone commits evil acts in the name of a cause, it tends to heighten their commitment to that cause rather than make them question it, because they cannot bear the thought that it was all in vain. This has been observed IRL, like in Nazi concentration camps, where atrocities against prisoners were deliberately ordered by officers as a "team-building exercise" for new guards.

And at the risk of skirting the edge of the political, there are also examples of this phenomenon happening in the news every day.

Some might argue that opposing the psychotic ancient vampire monster is not a good lifestyle choice, either.
    Fair point, thought I think Adelbert was going less for a Vaderesque 'I know there is still good in you' and more of a 'siding with us is your only hope to avoid being eaten when no longer useful' type deal. Enlightened self interest as such.

Though yes I don't expect it to achieve anything.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

They're injured at least. I think Adelbert trying to fight on his own comes down to who shoots first and the vampire has a massive advantage, but if you could raise the alarm, the castle is close and we might be able to stop them from getting to the book.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-08-27 at 12:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

They're injured at least.
    I wouldn't make that assumption, especially with Adelbert being out of Fate Points.

Klammenberg might go down easily... assuming LCP considers that he has served his purpose or that we've done enough to kill him to deserve that kill. Nahorek is something else. I believe we destroyed its "mortal" form (or at least, its flesh form), but how do we know its spirit form was in any way weakened? There must be a reason why Nahorek chose Geheimnisnacht to turn up at the temple.

I don't think Elsa will become aware of the situation until her magic alarm is triggered, and even then, I'm not sure to what extent she can help.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-08-27 at 01:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo's dreaming about pie.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't make that assumption, especially with Adelbert being out of Fate Points.

Klammenberg might go down easily... assuming LCP considers that he has served his purpose or that we've done enough to kill him to deserve that kill. Nahorek is something else. I believe we destroyed its "mortal" form (or at least, its flesh form), but how do we know its spirit form was in any way weakened? There must be a reason why Nahorek chose Geheimnisnacht to turn up at the temple.
    We didn't destroy anything. Sieghard cut off a bit of corpse flesh from Nahorek's face and both of them fled. Given Klammenberg is very much human and we did enough damage to Nahorek to topple a Keeper of Secrets, I think it's reasonable to assume both were at 0 wounds when they fled. That they'd move again so soon either means they're very bold or very desperate - they just haven't had time to recover from their wounds.

Not saying to try to fight them alone - that's still suicide. But if an alarm can be raised, we might be able to drive them back again.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-08-27 at 01:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

That is assuming that they don't have incredible magical abilities we're only partially aware of - wait, hold on, they do.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Fair. What's the alternative? Let them walk in and take the evil magic book? I for one welcome our new undead overlords!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know that there's an alternative, really.

21. - Top - End - #201

That they'd move again so soon either means they're very bold or very desperate - they just haven't had time to recover from their wounds.
    There's a necromantic spell that lets you regain d10 wounds from drinking fresh blood. And that's just taking into account the rulebook mechanics of healing, which Nahorek and Klammenberg are not necessarily bound to (one being a powerful spirit, and the other having remade his human body from beetles).

You may be right about them being injured. I just wouldn't make assumptions until, say, Adelbert notices that Klammenberg has bandages or walks like a wounded man.

Not saying to try to fight them alone - that's still suicide. But if an alarm can be raised, we might be able to drive them back again.
    What's the spear situation?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

What's the spear situation?
    It's in Manaan's Keep.

23. - Top - End - #203

are you kidding me

We should have sent someone to fetch it as soon as the killings began. We already strongly suspected them to be connected to Nahorek.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Mind... I'm not sure her being turned Lahmian would change [Irene] significantly.
    While I'm sure she'd love that...

Quote Originally Posted by Klammenberg
    ...Child-in-Darkness of W'soran...
    ...that's not what she'd get.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-27 at 05:08 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #205

Who is W'soran again?

...And what is a "child-in-darkness"?

The litany of titles is definitely interesting, though. To me, "high priest of Djaf" seems to imply Nahorek was once mortal, like Nagash.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Who is W'soran again?
    Founder of the Necrarch bloodline.

...And what is a "child-in-darkness"?
    Vampire sired by that vampire.

though both these things would be OOC knowledge for those without AK(Necromancy).

@RossN here's a quick sketch to give an overview of your positioning.

Last edited by LCP; 2019-08-27 at 05:35 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Wow - so Nahorek is, like, first-generation Necrach? I wasn't far off guessing that he predated bloodlines.

28. - Top - End - #208

Oooh, I suspected Necrarch. Though I suppose the bloodline is much less relevant once one has a spirit form as powerful as Nahorek's.

though both these things would be OOC knowledge for those without AK(Necromancy).
    I know Adelbert has AK (Necromancy), but I've no idea where he acquired it. Elsa needs another knowledge skill to complete her career and Necromancy would definitely be useful, but I imagine this is the sort of knowledge that requires not only XP, but also access to rare and forbidden books.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

I know Adelbert has AK (Necromancy), but I've no idea where he acquired it.
    He had collected a lot of books on the subject. Unfortunately they caught fire recently.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #210

He had collected a lot of books on the subject. Unfortunately they caught fire recently.
    *shakes fist at Klammenberg*

All part of his plan, I'm sure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing: