New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

One small bit of artwork subtly I appreciate is that Leon is staring at Harem's chest in the 5th square. Nobody comments on it in the comic, and it's easy to overlook due to sizing of folk, but it's a neat, smallish art detail. Reminds me of how Harem would tease him earlier in the comic.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

The fact that the government can't tell if 1) this psychic radiation is real or not, and 2) whether Dabbler's psychic-radiation-detector is itself real or not (when it's insisting the radiation is real) seems to be two very good signs to me that they shouldn't be messing with it and should leave the messing to people who know what they're doing. This is exactly why the galaxy at large doesn't interfere in backwaters like Earth until they're up-to-snuff: silverback gorillas might be endangered, and we might really want to stop that from being the case and maybe even want them to figure out technology, but we couldn't accomplish either of those goals by giving each gorilla an M134 with unlimited ammo. There are just so many theoretical ways poking around an alien spaceship could go wrong, even if you're extremely careful and know what you're doing.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The fact that the government can't tell if 1) this psychic radiation is real or not, and 2) whether Dabbler's psychic-radiation-detector is itself real or not (when it's insisting the radiation is real) seems to be two very good signs to me that they shouldn't be messing with it and should leave the messing to people who know what they're doing. This is exactly why the galaxy at large doesn't interfere in backwaters like Earth until they're up-to-snuff: silverback gorillas might be endangered, and we might really want to stop that from being the case and maybe even want them to figure out technology, but we couldn't accomplish either of those goals by giving each gorilla an M134 with unlimited ammo. There are just so many theoretical ways poking around an alien spaceship could go wrong, even if you're extremely careful and know what you're doing.
    I don't blame the military guy in the slightest. Dabbler's explanation reeks of bullcrap if you don't already trust her. I mean, she's either telling primitives that glowing rocks are dangerous without explaining everything about gamma radiation, or this is a "cameras will eat your soul" argument trying to prevent said primitives from getting their hands on harmless and useful tech. And as long as she doesn't allow earth's scientists to examine her detector, there's no way to tell.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I don't blame the military guy in the slightest. Dabbler's explanation reeks of bullcrap if you don't already trust her. I mean, she's either telling primitives that glowing rocks are dangerous without explaining everything about gamma radiation, or this is a "cameras will eat your soul" argument trying to prevent said primitives from getting their hands on harmless and useful tech. And as long as she doesn't allow earth's scientists to examine her detector, there's no way to tell.
    It's one of those tough situations where one side is right but refuses to really share their proof, and the other side is wrong for all the right reasons.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    And as long as she doesn't allow earth's scientists to examine her detector, there's no way to tell.
    Even if they see her detector, would it do any good, if in they're in that mindset? They don't have the tech or the knowledge to even UNDERSTAND Dabbler's stuff.

So they'd be relying 100% on Dabbler's explanation of how it works ... which would bring them right back to the beginning, not trusting Dabbler and Co when they say the ship's dangerous.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

At this point I think the only viable, doesn't start a fight, solution might be for Cora to offer an exchange of tech.

Earth already knows about the wider galaxy now, and the refugee ship in Africa negates the "no tech shared" rule.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Even if they see her detector, would it do any good, if in they're in that mindset? They don't have the tech or the knowledge to even UNDERSTAND Dabbler's stuff.

So they'd be relying 100% on Dabbler's explanation of how it works ... which would bring them right back to the beginning, not trusting Dabbler and Co when they say the ship's dangerous.
    Those aren't entirely similar situations. Science is math, and math doesn't lie. If Dabbler made a genuine effort to explain her tech, I'm pretty sure Earth scientists would be able to replicate it. Which is why she refuses to even try, instead of just doing it to shut up the stupid primitive monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    At this point I think the only viable, doesn't start a fight, solution might be for Cora to offer an exchange of tech.

Earth already knows about the wider galaxy now, and the refugee ship in Africa negates the "no tech shared" rule.
    I agree. I'm 90% sure it's not gonna happen though.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah this is a tense situation, because both sides are right in that america has a legit claim on the wreckage and also has no way of independently confirming what cora says is true while cora may very well be right and that they have to remove the debris fast before it corrupts the planet. I also have a problem with sydney though as she basically said, "I preemptively refuse to obey any order you give on taking either ship" Sydney, if they have the authority to make that order, you will either do it or enjoy prison.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah this is a tense situation, because both sides are right in that america has a legit claim on the wreckage and also has no way of independently confirming what cora says is true while cora may very well be right and that they have to remove the debris fast before it corrupts the planet. I also have a problem with sydney though as she basically said, "I preemptively refuse to obey any order you give on taking either ship" Sydney, if they have the authority to make that order, you will either do it or enjoy prison.
    Nah there presumably legal protections for archon members to be able to refuse unethical orders.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I think this will end either with Archon persuading the feds to let the item be taken out by Cora or, more likely, some combination of Archon and the Council working "rogue" to remove it. Maxima blowing it up wouldn't look too different from it self-destructing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Nah there presumably legal protections for archon members to be able to refuse unethical orders.
    Eh.... that seems hard to swallow, especially if unethical is broadly defined. Would it be unethical to arrest, and potentially permanently injure while attempting to arrest if said arrest is resisted, Batman or other vigilantes? But we know that Archon specifically will arrest vigilantes.

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The problem is deciding if its unethical or not. I admit to not being an expert on the law in such matters, but I am fairly sure the US DOES have a very solid claim to the ship. It attacked their territory, was brought down by an american paramilitary force and its lying on american soil. Cora is a third party in this matter between america and whatever fel-ocracy sent that ship to here. She could be considered a subject matter expert but they have no reason to trust her as she has made it very clear she has no intention of giving them advanced tech so she could be considered biased on the matter. Though going back and reading the comic again i take it back, she is refusing to attack coras ship. Thats a different matter entirely. Then the ethical issue becomes dependent on what cora herself does here. If she tries to just take off with the wreckage, that could be considered theft and thus bringing her down becomes a legit bit of law enforcement. However if they just get greedy and say, "Well then we are taking both ships, arcswat, take em down!" Then that could be considered unethical orders.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post

This is part of my point, yeah. First, if they're gonna hire the best of the best of the experts, and then not listen to them, they're wasting money, but also even if they have reason to believe the experts can't be trusted, that just means they're bumping around in the dark. Hell, my example about gorillas and shotguns is still too complicated - if you put me, or any one person from the 99% of the population, in the cockpit of a fighter jet and told me to "figure out how it works", the best case scenario is boring failure, while the most likely scenario is that I become a meat crayon in the process of breaking the fighter jet...well, that or I give up cuz I have no idea what I'm doing.

The only real reason I see to poke around in a ship so advanced even my bestest best experts have no idea what they're doing is, maybe if a mistake is made half the planet does turn out to get psychically irradiated or whatever, but now that we know we're nowhere near the biggest fish in the ocean, we're having flashbacks to history class of everything that happens when a more advanced civilization makes contact with a less advanced one. Even the relatively friendly examples still don't turn out great for the less advanced civilization, so we need to catch up as quickly as possible - accidentally dying as a result of trying to catch up might happen, but if we don't try, who knows if we'll ever have the chance?

...but it's frustrating. While I'm certain that it's generally not a valid concern in this universe (the different species of the galaxy certainly seem to be interacting more like "1st world to 1st world" rather than "1st world to 3rd world", and the sheer variety we've seen makes it seem unlikely they just all happen to be close enough to the same tech level to have the same kind of "if you try to kill us, you'll die too" scenario that's kept IRL 1st world powers from going to all-out war with each other), and thus that the above "it makes sense if you look at it like this" argument for the military guy's thinking is paranoid and short-sighted, I also know about that alien that was sitting in the clouds livestreaming Maxima being a boss, and there's no way that's not going to end up being something.

EDIT: Part of me is thinking that if this guy is gonna try to achieve the level of care around potentially-species-destroying tech that the SCP Foundation takes, that could maybe work out for him and his...but if they were in that mindset, this story would be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The problem is deciding if its unethical or not. I admit to not being an expert on the law in such matters, but I am fairly sure the US DOES have a very solid claim to the ship. It attacked their territory, was brought down by an american paramilitary force and its lying on american soil. Cora is a third party in this matter between america and whatever fel-ocracy sent that ship to here. She could be considered a subject matter expert but they have no reason to trust her as she has made it very clear she has no intention of giving them advanced tech so she could be considered biased on the matter. Though going back and reading the comic again i take it back, she is refusing to attack coras ship. Thats a different matter entirely. Then the ethical issue becomes dependent on what cora herself does here. If she tries to just take off with the wreckage, that could be considered theft and thus bringing her down becomes a legit bit of law enforcement. However if they just get greedy and say, "Well then we are taking both ships, arcswat, take em down!" Then that could be considered unethical orders.
    Actually something this reminded me of was that the military guy responded to her warning of the dangers with "is that a threat? are you seriously threatening us right now?!", and it reminded me of a line from way back in the Questionable Content archives:

Quote Originally Posted by Marten
    Dude, when the park ranger warns you not to hug the bears, it's not cuz he wants the sweet bear hugs all to himself.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-10-07 at 08:26 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

It seems to me that it should be very possible for someone other than Dabbler to detect the 'psychic radiation,' with the prime candidate being Sydney herself using her absurdly OP truesight effect, and thereby this whole argument could be bypassed.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    It seems to me that it should be very possible for someone other than Dabbler to detect the 'psychic radiation,' with the prime candidate being Sydney herself using her absurdly OP truesight effect, and thereby this whole argument could be bypassed.
    And even if Sydney's truesight orb only lets her see illusions but not "psychic radiation", it's not like there isn't a whole division of ARC that deals with magic, which is in contact with a whole world of magical beings. I'm sure they could find somebody who could figure something out who's a bit more impartial than Dabbler.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #285
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Even for someone who thinks Cora is lying, just how sure of that do you have to be for the risk of being wrong to be acceptable when the consequence is roughly equivalent to the extinction of the human race? The potential benefits of analyzing advanced alien tech are very high, but that magnitude of potential danger is not something to take chances with.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #286
    Pixie in the Playground

Why does everybody forget Krona
    you know reality altering girl ,
    can bring people back from the dead
    disarm a grenade while being thrown

simply tell her to disable the dangerous radiation

and dont tell me she cant get near because instant insanity
    thats not what Cora or Dabbler were worried about when the fel came in , it was all they are strong , have invincible shields and whoops they are defeated
    So at least there is enough time for Krona to have a look , and if the only person to get some info on Halos orbs detects nothing then im calling it a scam to keep tech out of earths hands ( and maybe to cora and dabblers self )
    I also find it suspicious that amazing awesome genius Dabbler does not mention that possibility or offers to shut down the radiation herself ( heck she can remove neutron radiation )
    Sacrificing Minions, is there any problem it CAN\'T solve?

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Paladine View Post

thats not what Cora or Dabbler were worried about when the fel came in , it was all they are strong , have invincible shields and whoops they are defeated
    So at least there is enough time for Krona to have a look , and if the only person to get some info on Halos orbs detects nothing then im calling it a scam to keep tech out of earths hands ( and maybe to cora and dabblers self )
    I also find it suspicious that amazing awesome genius Dabbler does not mention that possibility or offers to shut down the radiation herself ( heck she can remove neutron radiation )
    Well, again, giving future tech to more backwards societies is considered to be a bad idea. You dont give cavemen muscle cars. Its going to end badly. So i doubt very much they will volunteer any method of cleansing it if one exists and its not just a matter of, "We need to throw it in the nearest black hole to prevent the destruction of this world" Also, its possible these government guys, whoever they are, dont know about the twilight council. I somehow doubt everyone in government is made aware the supernatural exists. And kronas skills were only recently discovered anyways to be as all encompassing as they are. Normally she sticks to basic hacks like hair color changing, then she nearly broke time.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

It's also very likely Krona wouldn't know how to code around Fel radiation, as she's not dealt with it before (or so we can assume--she seems just to have worked on earth, and this seems the first time the Fel came to earth (at least in known history)). It'd probably take a lot of time to code up something for that, and a failure during debugging means a Fel hive.

Plus other good points of good reasons not to offer her services, as noted by other posters. I guess she could be a reasonable backup plan if the USA forces keeping it.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-10-08 at 08:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    It's also very likely Krona wouldn't know how to code around Fel radiation, as she's not dealt with it before (or so we can assume--she seems just to have worked on earth, and this seems the first time the Fel came to earth (at least in known history)). It'd probably take a lot of time to code up something for that, and a failure during debugging means a Fel hive.

Plus other good points of good reasons not to offer her services, as noted by other posters. I guess she could be a reasonable backup plan if the USA forces keeping it.
    I don't know about "reasonable." Most of her stuff is basically made up on the spot to deal with situations as they arise. Also, while this may have changed, she isn't actually a government agent that im aware of and she would probably fall into the camp of "don't just wildly mess with things you cant perceive and don't understand" after that talk she had about the consequences of messing with the fabric of reality.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #290
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe we're all jumping to conclusions here, as we have a few times previously? Obviously, Obstructive Government Man's Plan A is going to be 'claim the salvage and loot its tech'. This is Plan A being shot down before Plans B+ get put on the table, probably involving native supers.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, a funny detail here, is that america only has a legal claim on the wreckage according to american law.
    It can very well be that it doesnt according to the laws of the intergalatic society.

There is of course a bit of a conflict there. But thankfully earth tradition then says that whoever has the biggest military is right.
    So done deal

Maybe we're all jumping to conclusions here, as we have a few times previously? Obviously, Obstructive Government Man's Plan A is going to be 'claim the salvage and loot its tech'. This is Plan A being shot down before Plans B+ get put on the table, probably involving native supers.
    Hmm.. i kinda have trouble seeing any plan unfold where starship tech is allowed to be looted.
    Would twist the setting a bit to much.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2019-10-08 at 11:08 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #292

"We need to throw it in the nearest black hole to prevent the destruction of this world"
    I think Cora said something about tossing it into the nearest star.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Of course, a funny detail here, is that america only has a legal claim on the wreckage according to american law.
    It can very well be that it doesnt according to the laws of the intergalatic society.

There is of course a bit of a conflict there. But thankfully earth tradition then says that whoever has the biggest military is right.
    So done deal

Hmm.. i kinda have trouble seeing any plan unfold where starship tech is allowed to be looted.
    Reverse-engineering technology isn't a quick process. And that's just the scientific side, before bureaucracy and government gets involved. At the pace this comic moves, we'd all be dead before anything useful or setting-altering would be produced from that salvage.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paladine View Post

Cora doesn't know about Krona. For that matter, neither do the government officials. She works for an entirely different organization who may not actually want the US government to gain control over the destroyed space ship.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The plan isn't my problem, it's the delivery. The scene is staged like they're trying to get Cora's permission to get the wreckage, but they're blustering and threatening.

If they're approaching the problem as "we need to negotiate with a shaky ally who has weapons of mass destruction at her disposal", they should probably be looking to reach a compromise on how they can get a chance to peer behind the curtain without tanking their first public human-alien alliance with an alien who at least seems to be friendly and helpful. This...lacks the subtlety such an interaction would necessitate.

If they're approaching the problem as "we need to look firm in the face of a potential adversary, we can't have humanity's first introduction to the wider universe getting willingly walked all over even after we shot them out of the sky", then having Maxima in the room, in-uniform, and clearly deferring to her superiors in the hierarchy is enough of a show of force that proper "firm negotiations with a potential dangerous enemy" can begin taking place. This...lacks the subtlety such an interaction would necessitate.

Now I'm not the US president so I can't say for sure how he'd handle such a situation, but if I were the US president, I'd probably have someone a bit more level-headed at the table to represent my country's interests - maybe attend in-person depending on risk assessment, maybe select a special diplomat to deal with alien relations when they come up, maybe send a general who's not awful at handling interactions with foreign dignitaries?

The only scenario I can think of with "this guy was deliberately a part of this meeting, and still behaves like this" is "he was believed to be reasonable, but is actually just out-of-the-loop on aliens having been a secret thing for a while now, and kinda has some bigotries about that kind of thing", because otherwise the answer is "we needed a loud stupid angry person to wave around threats in a potentially-dangerous potential-ally's face just to give her an excuse to exposit to some unknown observing third party why she thinks we shouldn't take our lawful salvage".

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #296

So done deal

Of course, even then america can say, "Didnt you just get done announcing that we arent a part of intergalactic society? Why should we be held to the laws of a group we arent allowed to join?" Now as for biggest military, again, at this moment thats america since they have maxima who has just proven she can one shot a fel carrier by herself if she so desires. Cora could possibly take off and come back with an armada to force the issue, but right now she doesnt really have an advantage to work with here.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The only scenario I can think of with "this guy was deliberately a part of this meeting, and still behaves like this" is "he was believed to be reasonable, but is actually just out-of-the-loop on aliens having been a secret thing for a while now, and kinda has some bigotries about that kind of thing", because otherwise the answer is "we needed a loud stupid angry person to wave around threats in a potentially-dangerous potential-ally's face just to give her an excuse to exposit to some unknown observing third party why she thinks we shouldn't take our lawful salvage".
    I can think of a few other possibilities which all boil down to internal politics. Either the loud-mouthed guy has enough pull in the goverment to push himself into negotiator position in order to reap the political benefits from the outcome, or he was expected to fail and was set up by more reasonable guys, who want to play good cop/bad cop with Cora and kick the current bad cop down in the process.

With the serious shift in the political situation, the power structure within the goverment becomes much more pliable then normal, so a lot of people would start making moves, competing for the best spoils.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I can think of a few other possibilities which all boil down to internal politics. Either the loud-mouthed guy has enough pull in the goverment to push himself into negotiator position in order to reap the political benefits from the outcome, or he was expected to fail and was set up by more reasonable guys, who want to play good cop/bad cop with Cora and kick the current bad cop down in the process.

With the serious shift in the political situation, the power structure within the goverment becomes much more pliable then normal, so a lot of people would start making moves, competing for the best spoils.
    If you ever watched the Stargate show, Senator Kinsey is a great example of a terrible person who has too much power to be pushed aside no matter how bad he is for intergalactic relations.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Reverse-engineering technology isn't a quick process. And that's just the scientific side, before bureaucracy and government gets involved. At the pace this comic moves, we'd all be dead before anything useful or setting-altering would be produced from that salvage.
    Its not normally. But here we have all sorts of super geniuses who might speed up the process in unknown ways.

Of course, even then america can say, "Didnt you just get done announcing that we arent a part of intergalactic society? Why should we be held to the laws of a group we arent allowed to join?" Now as for biggest military, again, at this moment thats america since they have maxima who has just proven she can one shot a fel carrier by herself if she so desires. Cora could possibly take off and come back with an armada to force the issue, but right now she doesnt really have an advantage to work with here.
    And then the answer becomes again, bigger military
    Because no thats not earth. Yes its insanely impressive that Maxima shoot the carrier down.
    But she could likely only do so because she had Cora's shield to cover her. As else it would have been insanely risky.

Also the fell carrier were likely more than just a touch to arrogant there.
    Its easy to become so if you think all the native got is sharp sticks.
    But its likely a little harder to deal with it if its bombing from orbit.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

30. - Top - End - #300

Its not normally. But here we have all sorts of super geniuses who might speed up the process in unknown ways.

And then the answer becomes again, bigger military
    Because no thats not earth. Yes its insanely impressive that Maxima shoot the carrier down.
    But she could likely only do so because she had Cora's shield to cover her. As else it would have been insanely risky.

Also the fell carrier were likely more than just a touch to arrogant there.
    Its easy to become so if you think all the native got is sharp sticks.
    But its likely a little harder to deal with it if its bombing from orbit.
    Maxima and sydney both can reach space. I would say sydney would be a good bulwark in front of maxima for her to duck behind to charge up her capitol ship killer blasts but all that is wild speculation. Long term im sure cora could force the issue by leaving and coming back with more friends, short term though she doesnt have any real cards to play here. She is hilariously outgunned by arcswat so she cant actually try to grab and dash or pick a fight here, her expertise is countered by her clear "no high tech for you" bias so she cant rely on convincing them its a good idea. Short term, america is keeping that ship unless something else big happens. I sorta expect to see actual fel contamination begin somehow. That might be the best way to settle this without bad feelings. Suddenly the ground around the wreckage starts to glow an unhealthy greenish black, material starts warping into a new shape, etc. The government guys go "Ok, OKAY! You win! Get it out of here quick!" "Thanks, oh, and cleanse the area with fire."