New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Maxima’s comment reminds me of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries rule 3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    If the rant at the bottom is accurate, that was evidently intentional.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The question is "What is Archon going to do?" That ship is low in the atmosphere so most of the team could attack it. And I think there is a good chance Max might. (and do so while following international law even.)
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The question is "What is Archon going to do?" That ship is low in the atmosphere so most of the team could attack it. And I think there is a good chance Max might. (and do so while following international law even.)
    Off the cuff plan? Maxima flies up and blasts a hole in the ships hull (or at least tries to) then sydney flies up everyone NOT capable of flight, they storm the opening, and a deck by deck takeover starts to go down. Or they distract the ship long enough for cora to take off and start fighting and that other vessel shows up to join in.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

First thing might be to try to draw the ship away from HQ and the crowd, into a less populated area.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ok, this is a little worry-some.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not so much the situation, but how Dabbler is acting. In the past she has always looked at the fights as being fun and is willing to goof around. Here she is not speaking much and telling Max to kill the Fel as fast as possible. She clearly does NOT like the Fel. Going to be an interesting fight here. Archon has some very powerful melee fighters. Hiro, Math and Anvil (who is a absolute monster in a melee fight). We haven't seen much of Stalwart yet, but he might be good as well. Max might take out a few grunts, but then I think she's going to target the ship, probably with Sydney.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I think they will start to fight, we will get a few pages of everybody doing some stuff, and then Sydney will come out and the ship will run. Cue everyone slowly turning to look at Sydney who says "Oh hey, about my time on that planet..."

7. - Top - End - #67

I dunno, I think its possible they are after that fel artifact on coras ship. I had forgotten about that reference when I made my earlier predictions. Right now im going to play it by ear and see where it swerves from here. And yeah, lets see if we go full power rangers where the new bad guy shows up and their putties trounce the heroes to establish how tough they are, then quickly get relegated to the trash heap after the heroes either get a new power up or a new friend arrives. (The other ships chasing the fel vessel) Im honestly hoping for a bit of a trouncing because up till now, aside from figuring out the raid boss vehemences move set and vulnerabilities, arcswat havent really had much of a challenge.

So far its come off as the justice leagues senior council fighting spidermans sinister six. Its.... its not pretty for the bad guys. So far its been established the entire fantasy world is just on a far lower power curve than the supers, they seem to have a lot of the stronger combat capable supers on their side already so even outnumbered like 4-1 at the superbrawl, they took the melee with relatively minor injuries barring poor brook and her new lack of strappy shoe wearing ability. So now it looks like advanced aliens are the only real threat left in a direct confrontation.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #68

These sound like the kind of people those galactic cops fight. I guess we know where the cavalry is coming from. Next question is how soon will they be showing up?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Cora has clearly been playing Mass Effect, there are little blue and orange lights all over her armor.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Ok, this is a little worry-some.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not so much the situation, but how Dabbler is acting. In the past she has always looked at the fights as being fun and is willing to goof around. Here she is not speaking much and telling Max to kill the Fel as fast as possible. She clearly does NOT like the Fel. Going to be an interesting fight here. Archon has some very powerful melee fighters. Hiro, Math and Anvil (who is a absolute monster in a melee fight). We haven't seen much of Stalwart yet, but he might be good as well. Max might take out a few grunts, but then I think she's going to target the ship, probably with Sydney.
    I mean according to Cora the Fel are basically eldritch Borg.
    So Dabbler's reaction is very much understandable.
    Doubly so if she has personal experience with them.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

And the Fell Quite cleverly have a projectile force field, so its suddenly very relevant being able to fight them fist to fist :P

Well, all the same, as explanations for why your hyper-advanced alien invaders end up in a brawl, then its not bad.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And the Fell Quite cleverly have a projectile force field, so its suddenly very relevant being able to fight them fist to fist :P

Well, all the same, as explanations for why your hyper-advanced alien invaders end up in a brawl, then its not bad.
    There was some SF novel (i forgot the name or the author), where they had local lightspeed dampeners (or something), so all projectile or energy weapons could be easily dodged and people went back to swordfighting. If it was actually changing the speed of light, they would have no reliable senses anyway, but maybe I am misremembering - I wish I knew, which book it was.

There are also the personal shields from Dune, which only permeated slow-moving objects.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    There was some SF novel (i forgot the name or the author), where they had local lightspeed dampeners (or something), so all projectile or energy weapons could be easily dodged and people went back to swordfighting. If it was actually changing the speed of light, they would have no reliable senses anyway, but maybe I am misremembering - I wish I knew, which book it was.

There are also the personal shields from Dune, which only permeated slow-moving objects.
    Dont forget the goauld shields in stargate. Bullets and energy blasts bounce off, but a thrown knife can get through it. They only stop high speed impacts. Honestly, I like it. It alters the strategy from star trek fights "Omg the shields are down to 72%!" to "How do we get around these freaking shields? I know, throw a ROCK at him!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The later stages of Forever War also had a similar issue, where tech had advanced to the point you could just turn off science in an area to stop super advanced nuclear laser death and people went back to stabbing people with sticks. In space.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

KOTOR had that too as an explanation for why vibroswords and axes were a thing people used. Shields could stop energy blasts fine, but smack somebody with some metal and theyre down easy, and nobody made armor to fight melee weapons especially effectively.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    KOTOR had that too as an explanation for why vibroswords and axes were a thing people used. Shields could stop energy blasts fine, but smack somebody with some metal and theyre down easy, and nobody made armor to fight melee weapons especially effectively.
    Vibro weapons were also an effective way to stop lightsabers, which were a much more common threat during that era.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So far its been established the entire fantasy world is just on a far lower power curve than the supers, they seem to have a lot of the stronger combat capable supers on their side already so even outnumbered like 4-1 at the superbrawl, they took the melee with relatively minor injuries barring poor brook and her new lack of strappy shoe wearing ability. So now it looks like advanced aliens are the only real threat left in a direct confrontation.
    The real powerhouses in Archon are Max (whose main power is not Super), Sydney (space fantasy?) and Dabbler (fantasy+scifi). Quite frankly, if Max wasn't around Sciona probably would have had significantly less trouble dealing Archon.

They can also always introduce one or more dangerous, not sucky enemy supers. A murderous Rogue-expy with buckets of powers and/or a way to use the souls of normal peeps, Death Toll-expy who can get Apocalypse's shtick, Death Toll who got Apocalypse's shtick, Opal getting mean and bisecting people with portals, opening a portal to magma and/or gassing them, a Siberian-expy, Vehemence who visits a warzone ahead of time, One-Punch-expy etc.

And quite frankly, even if Archon has all the best supers in America, that's what, 5% of the "best supers"?
    Last edited by Lamech; 2019-08-26 at 03:17 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Yea all the levers are in place to create and justify enemies powerful enough to be a threat in the narrative. Its just the pacing is such that we have barely even gotten past the "introduce the setting and its concepts" arcs in the plot. Now that I think about it how many full Plot Arcs have we gotten through so far, three?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Yea all the levers are in place to create and justify enemies powerful enough to be a threat in the narrative. Its just the pacing is such that we have barely even gotten past the "introduce the setting and its concepts" arcs in the plot. Now that I think about it how many full Plot Arcs have we gotten through so far, three?
    That's mostly the fault of deciding to introduce excessive amounts of aliens and an entire society of spooky stuff. By the time V showed up the setting was more or less developed and introduced. The magic society and all the aliens really set us back in introducing the setting and were a pretty big genre shift.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    That's mostly the fault of deciding to introduce excessive amounts of aliens and an entire society of spooky stuff. By the time V showed up the setting was more or less developed and introduced. The magic society and all the aliens really set us back in introducing the setting and were a pretty big genre shift.
    I strongly disagree this is a genre shift, a super hero series can totally have secret ancient cabals of vampires and werewolves and a strong scifi alien presence and not significantly stop being about super heroes.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I strongly disagree this is a genre shift, a super hero series can totally have secret ancient cabals of vampires and werewolves and a strong scifi alien presence and not significantly stop being about super heroes.
    I feel it's more a problem of we had no time working with supers really. We had one arc with supers, one arc with fantasy races, and one arc with sci-fi. So at this point there has been less time spent on supers than the other types.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #82

Technically speaking, we're still in the second arc.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I feel it's more a problem of we had no time working with supers really. We had one arc with supers, one arc with fantasy races, and one arc with sci-fi. So at this point there has been less time spent on supers than the other types.
    I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Technically speaking, we're still in the second arc.
    I would say this is the third we are in right now, with the big fight with Sciona being the end of a second arc.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    That one would need a serious downgrade I think.
    Because short of Maxima going all Goddess of Ash I don't see the team stopping everyones favourite cannibal catgirl.
    And even that'd be more a result of the collateral damage.

No, seriously. Sydney's shield and Achilles invulnerablity are weird enough they might pop her if she gets inside and/or she hits them, but that's only a temporary solution and short of that Archon would pretty much be confetti.

Basically, unless they work out the twist fast- ideally before engaging -the comic would turn dark fast.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

No, looking at her power description, then i dont think she will be impossible to handle.
    Even without Max. To start with i can see she lacks super speed and strenght.
    So there is quite a few heroes who could stall her for quite a while (Math), to as long as needed (Achilles/Anvil)

Following that, it would likely then require Dabbler to drag a sufficiently exotic weapon out from her inventory.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No, looking at her power description, then i dont think she will be impossible to handle.
    Even without Max. To start with i can see she lacks super speed and strenght.
    So there is quite a few heroes who could stall her for quite a while (Math), to as long as needed (Achilles/Anvil)

Following that, it would likely then require Dabbler to drag a sufficiently exotic weapon out from her inventory.
    I dunno, the Siberian goes through non-invulnerable things- and even most who are -like a hot knife through butter.

Just ask Alexandria if going into meelee combat against Sibby is a good idea.

Super-strength is meaningless if you're basically a vaguely person-shaped unstoppable force/ immovable object.
    And can transfer those capabilities to stuff you touch.

So she can still move pretty fast, jump pretty high and stuff because she controls how much she and the ground under her feet are affected by things.

Basically, I don't see many Archon members outside maybe Achilles and Sydney's shield being able to take a hit from her.

Maxima probably isn't though enough and even if she couldn't do anything else.
    And Dabbler might be able to cook up something BS enough (friggin tinkers) to affect the Siberian, but that's at best a temporary relief.

Spoiler: Siberian's twist
    Show
    What with her creator being able to resummon her should she pop or get trapped somehow.
    Unless they know either to look for Manton or hit him coincidentally with a big attack they won't win this.

At least the latter should be easy.
    Dude likes watching when he uses his naked tiger-girl summon that looks like his dead daughter* to slaughter people.

*Just to make clear how messed up the man is.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So about normal for the plot-device-tier cast of Worm, at least the named characters who anyone remembers.

Spoiler
    Show

Sydney did pick up on Vehemence watching the brawl and immediately flagged him as 'super shady' - having been through that situation once already, her genre-savviness might kick in upon seeing another person quietly watching a big battle against Archon.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-08-24 at 12:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Went and read the Wikia entry for that character.

Meh, sounds like a poorly-written no-sell-monger, the sort of "nuh uh... that can't hurt me, cause of this thing I just made up" character a 6-year-old would come up with.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-08-24 at 12:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post

Meh, sounds like a poorly-written no-sell-monger, the sort of "nuh uh... that can't hurt me, cause of this thing I just made up" character a 6-year-old would come up with.
    Well, we are talking about a Wildbow antagonist.
    I mean the Siberian's almost harmless compared to some other stuff he throws at his heroes.

And everything always only gets worse.

To the point I actually stopped reading the sequel (Ward) because it made me feel like all those struggles and sacrifices Taylor went through in Worm were utterly pointless.
    You know, I don't even mind dark stories, but if you make me feel like the final boss slaughtering everyone would have been a happier ending you are doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2019-08-24 at 12:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post

As mentioned, yeah. Every enemy in Worm is like that. Siberian is invincible and unstoppable, yes even to that. Contessa is Internet Meme Batman, with the perfect prepared solution to any situation or obstacle because of infinite prep time. Simurgh is some sort of eldritch abomination...