New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [M&M, 3e] How does ritualist interact with mental quickness and skill mastery (magic)

I’m building a mentally quick magician type with postcognition, mind reading, mental blast, mindscape travel (probably will be using dimension travel to different people’s mind dimension for that and linking it with duplication), mind control (think perception progressive affliction), uncontrolled precognition, a ring that will ressurrect my character if they die while wearing it so long as the gem in the ring isn’t destroyed while he is dead in the 16 hours it takes to bring him back, an apprentice he is teaching, and an assorted range of minor abilities I think can be handled by a combination of artificer and ritualist if the design portion of those advantages was buffed with mental quickness rank 6–but I’m not sure if that would be limited to the design portion or if it would affect the whole process. I don’t want my rituals and artifacts too strong, but I’d like to be able to do a ritual once per scene. I may also give him a magic helmet that gives him a couple ranks of physical quickness, and a cape that grants slow clumsy flight. I’ll throw in skill mastery (magic)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M, 3e] How does ritualist interact with mental quickness and skill mastery (ma

Skill Mastery (Magic) pairs nicely with Ritualist. You can take 10 with no problems, meaning you have a guaranteed benchmark for how big a thing you can build.

Quickness pairs too nicely with Ritualist, by a strict reading of the rules-- you calculate how much time it should take, then reduce it as per Quickness rules. For Ritualist you'd probably only need mental Quickness. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should. You essentially wind up with a Variable power for a huge discount, which is... probably not okay. I'd suggest being honest with your group and just taking Variable 1 (Ritual Magic). Not only will that be priced more appropriately, it'll also be much easier to use.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M, 3e] How does ritualist interact with mental quickness and skill mastery (ma

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Skill Mastery (Magic) pairs nicely with Ritualist. You can take 10 with no problems, meaning you have a guaranteed benchmark for how big a thing you can build.

Quickness pairs too nicely with Ritualist, by a strict reading of the rules-- you calculate how much time it should take, then reduce it as per Quickness rules. For Ritualist you'd probably only need mental Quickness. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should. You essentially wind up with a Variable power for a huge discount, which is... probably not okay. I'd suggest being honest with your group and just taking Variable 1 (Ritual Magic). Not only will that be priced more appropriately, it'll also be much easier to use.
    On a related note, is this “duplication with linked dimension travel (mindscapes)”?

Spoiler: May be considered explicit to some people
    Show
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-08-06 at 06:47 AM.