New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Defenestration of King Bryce (Risus)

As Adrian starts down the stairs, Herlinde hesitantly follows: "This wasn't in the plan," she says sharply. "What are you doing?"

A hundred and twenty feet below them, a procession of about a dozen people has begun to climb. It is difficult to see in the dim light who they are or what they are wearing.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: Defenestration of King Bryce

Shayala

Shayala watches Alfred as he begins to work.

I doubt there is anything I can do to help you at the moment, but I'll stay close in case you do need something from me.

She then switches her focus to their surroundings as she keeps watch for any unexpected visitors who would interrupt Alfred's work.

3. - Top - End - #33

Shayala and Alfred have climbed high up in the Tower - several floors or maybe a hundred feet above the basement. The room they enter is at the center of the top floor and is circular, about thirty feet across. The room glows, like all the rest of the tower interior, soft white and shadowless from ceiling walls and floor.

They enter from the side of the room. Above them is an opening in the ceiling, about twenty feet across. The starry evening sky is visible through the opening. Directly below the opening the softly glowing floor is marked with a swirling mandala of sapphire powder. The lines of the design seem to crawl under close examination. At the center of the design, a woman in a white robe lies on her back staring up at the open ceiling, open hands palms up at her hips, bare feet slightly flexed. Her mouth is slightly open and she breathes with the ocean breath. She gives no indication that she notices their entrance.

Alfred knows that to disrupt the protective wards he must displace the woman from the center of the diagram. He believes that when the wards are broken, the safety barriers around the floating staircase will dissipate and it will become possible to dramatically hurl the king from the basement downward to his death on the stones of the plaza below.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #34

The stairs are wide enough to give three people elbow room, and Herlinde can comfortably walk next to Sir Adrian as they saunter downward. Despite the wards, the stairs are windy. "I thought we would wait up in the shelter of the tower and throw him down the center of the stairs," she says. "Though I can see how those darned railings could make that a challenge. Maybe this is the better plan. But we should wait high up to make sure he hits the ground hard enough."
    Mythistorical bundle

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maintaining his silence, Adrian stops and nods. He backs up towards the top a little more as he tries to find an ideal position, with enough light coming in to clearly mark their target, and with an unobstructed line to ensure nothing but the magical barriers prevents the push.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alfred walks over to Shayala and says, "That women in the center of the tower is a moon priest, and the one responsible for maintaining these wards. If we can get rid of the man, I can get rid of the magic. She's clearly a zealot if she's willing to spend so much time here, so I don't think I can just trick her into leaving. You however have a sharp tongue, and sharp axe, I think you may be able to handle this one way or another. Whadya say."

7. - Top - End - #37

Shayala

Shayala smiles at the turn of events.

Seems this will be the only type of diplomacy I will proficient in.

She walks over to the woman and stands such that she blocks her view of the sky above her. She looks down at her and makes eye contact as she begins to speak.

The stars are beautiful tonight.

She then motions upward and points toward a nearly purple star that sits near the center of their view.

That one is called Mercinia in your land, my people call it Vorin. It is an ever moving star, it lacks any cohesion with the night sky. Many claim that it is not a star as none can use it to navigate.

As a navigator, I would agree with this assessment. And yet, it is my favorite one to spot as it is the only one that seems to exist as a star but doesn't belong there.

She looks back down at the white robed woman.

Do you know what it is like to be called something and yet not be that? I feel it is something we can all relate to.

8. - Top - End - #38

Spoiler: OoC dice roll
    Show
    That's gonna be an Unafraid to Speak Her Mind v TN 12 - (3d6)[11]

Shayala's careless barbaric footsteps scuff the sapphire powder. The lines of the diagram wriggle back into shape as she passes. She doesn't notice, but Alfred does.

The white robed priestess doesn't even blink or change her breathing. She seems oblivious to Shayala's speech and looming presence, as if she is looking to the sky through the barbarian warrior woman. Shayala wonders for a fleeting moment whether the hole in the ceiling is necessary, or just architecture. Doesn't the rain interfere with the diagram on the floor?
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-10-14 at 07:47 AM.
    Mythistorical bundle

9. - Top - End - #39

Shayala

One way....or another.

Shayala unsheathes her axe and waves it in front of the catatonic woman.

If conversation will not distract you, perhaps pain will.

She then brushes the edge of her weapon against the woman's upper arm, attempting to break skin and nothing else.

10. - Top - End - #40

Spoiler: OoC dice roll
    Show
    That should be her primary cliche, Axe-Wielding Death Machine v TN 12 - (4d6)[2][1][3][4](10)
    Mythistorical bundle

11. - Top - End - #41

The razor sharp edge of Shayala's mighty ax slices easily through the white linen robe that drapes the priestess, and leaves a shallow gash three inches long in her arm.

The priestess does not move or break her trance. She continues to breathe deeply, in through nostrils and out through mouth, each exhalation roaring in her throat. She continues to stare skyward, as if waiting for the new moon to return at daybreak.

However, the atmosphere of the room is changing. There is now a feeling of oppressive intensity, as if mighty forces are gathering. Alfred feels that it may be time for him to act - somehow. He rapidly ransacks his memories of arcane studies, seeking an idea of what to do.
    Mythistorical bundle

12. - Top - End - #42

The group of about a dozen people continues to ascend the softly glowing spiral stairs, upward toward Herlinde and Sir Adrian. They are about halfway up, sixty feet directly below the pair of would-be assassins. They are chanting "Hail the King of Moon and Stars," which is a recently traditional thing to do for the annual Dark Anointing - it's only been in style for the past decade or so, Adrian recalls. He wonders for a moment when King Alden will get his turn again. It's been more than a year ...

In the midst of the group, a rank behind the front three, a tall grey-haired man gimps up the steps. His distinctive walk - and the crown atop his head, which glimmers in the light from the stairs - mark him as Game Bryce, king of Fauchard.

The group below Sir Adrian and Herlinde appear unaware of their presence on the stairs above.
    Mythistorical bundle

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alfred looks on at this priestess, unyielding and obstinate, like the churches themselves, unwilling to change and useful only as a tool for petty politics. Persuasion, in all its forms, cannot work on such a person. Brute force is the answer. A magical assault that will shatter her power right here and now. The only question is, what could that be?

Alfred remembers his trip outside the three kingdoms; how he searched endlessly for untainted knowledge, outside the church’s control. In that time Alfred became acquainted with a druid, a heretic by the standards of the pious. He was a wonderful man, bold, charismatic, and a true master of his craft. Alfred loved that old druid, who tried so desperately to keep his old faith alive, even as everyone around him abandoned it. Eventually he drew the attention of the moon priests, his arrest was swift, and his execution was brutal. Alfred remembers the horrid screaming, and the plume of smoke that blotted out the night sky.

He snaps back to reality. His old friend had been able to teach him something, before his end, and the chance had finally arrived to use it.

Alfred sits besides the priestess and looks up at the night sky. The priestess acts as a vessel for the power of the moon, channeling its awesome magic through intense concentration, and fueling the tower’s mighty wards. She thinks of this as a straightforward thing, her long prayer is answered with intervention from the Gods. What the druid taught him is that magic is far more loose than that. It is changeable and workable. It flows back and forth, shifts and morphs, like the inconstant moon it spawns from. Alfred closes his eyes, and feels the flow of magic around him. He begins a chant, taught to him by the druid, to focus his will. He takes hold of the magic around him, and makes his declaration. He demands that this rushing river of strength and energy reverse its course, flow away from the earth, through the priestess, and return upwards to the sky. If this works, the tower’s wards should quickly evaporate, and the priestess should be left dazed as the magic drains away from her. The church cannot stop justice with their petty power.

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler: OoC roll
    Show
    This should be an illicit binder v TN 12 - (4d6)[1][2][4][1](8).

Looks like I should stop rolling the dice!

As Alfred extends his mind he feels the power rushing through the priestess and the sapphire mandala like a mighty torrent that he cannot hope to reverse. At most he might be able to divert it somehow, but he is not sure where or how. The pulse of the sky leaves him trembling as he withdraws from the engagement, shaken.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-10-25 at 09:22 AM.
    Mythistorical bundle

15. - Top - End - #45

Shayala

Shayala notices a small change in the air and looks around. She looks at Alfred, who is seemingly exhausted by the process.

Was it successful? If not, should I just pick her up and move her?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Adrian sets a grimace as the King’s party continues to approach. If the warding doesn’t collapse soon he’ll have to make a mad rush and try and do it the old fashioned way, but he’s a minute hope of ending the king that way and no hope whatsoever of escaping alive and preventing more bloodshed.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alright, so my spell failed. I really wanted to do this in a more impressive way, so it could look better in the history books, but at this point we're out of options. Let's just roll her down the stairs. There's no way she can keep her trance going when her head is hitting the ground repeatedly.

18. - Top - End - #48

Spoiler: OoC - interpreting player posts and following failures
    Show
    flyinglemur, I'm understanding your last post as something Alfred says, not anything he actually does. If you want him to do something, say what he does and make a roll. Either use a different cliche than the one that didn't work for your preceding action, or try the same one -1 die for shaken confidence (what I call the "Cecilia rule.")
    Mythistorical bundle

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler: OoC - Teaming Up
    Show
    remember this is a way to get some bonuses on your roll, just make sure to pick the right leader for what you intend to do.
    Mythistorical bundle

20. - Top - End - #50

Shayala

The barbarian nods at Alfred's words.

She lifts the woman and carries her over to the nearby stairs and drops her.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Feirgon View Post
    Shayala

The barbarian nods at Alfred's words.

She lifts the woman and carries her over to the nearby stairs and drops her.
    Spoiler: OoC - roll for it
    Show
    Unstoppable Axe-Wielding Death Machine - (3d6)[2][4][4](10) I am so tired of bad rolls for you guys, I hope this one comes out favorably.

Sometimes the simple approach is best. Shayala bends at the knees, scoops, and lifts. The priestess comes up with great resistance, and the swirling lines of sapphire follow her up like tentacles trying to snatch her back down to the floor. Dark blue light fills the room. Alfred feels his arcane senses assaulted by raging energies. The tower trembles.

As the priestess tumbles down the stairs, the sapphire powder flows after her like a glowing waterfall. The walls of the room begin to dissolve into the waterfall, slowly crumbling into powder.

On the spiral stairs below the tower, Adrian and Herlinde feel a swaying and rippling. The dim white glow of the stairs becomes suffused with a bluish tinge. From the party advancing up the stairs, now thirty feet below and thirty yards away halfway around the spiral, there are shouts of alarm.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-10-30 at 08:08 AM.
    Mythistorical bundle

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Now perilously close to the King’s party Adrian didn’t waste a second before beginning to move, lacking the chance to speak a nod to Herlinde was the most he could get off, but perhaps the meaning remained clear.

“It’s go time, cover me”.

Without time to draw a blade before the gaurds could respond he simply kept up his momentum, attempting to pitch the king through the space where the barricade was only seconds ago.

Veteran Knight: (4d6)[2][1][5][6](14)

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    At last, a good roll!
    The front three guards instinctively sidestep Sir Adrian's taurine assault. One plummets off each side of the stairs, screaming and clawing the air as if they could climb away from their ten fathom fates. The third sprawls backward against Game Bryce, who topples sideways, knocking a third guard off the steps. Bryce ends up hanging by fingertips from the edge of the glowing stairs, which are beginning to flicker... And crumble? Up in the tower, Alfred and Shayala pursue the tumbling priestess down the dissolving steps. They hear shouts and shrieks of alarm from a hundred feet below at the tower base.
    Mythistorical bundle

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alfred sees the crumbling stairway, without the priestess' magic the whole thing is collapsing. Alfred stops, and begins another trance state. He calls forth the strength of the moon above, to hold on to the stairway just a little bit longer.

Illicit Binder pumped by one.

(4d6)[18]

25. - Top - End - #55

Show
    @flyinglemur - that works.

The disintegration of the tower and the spiral stairs below momentarily pauses. There is a tenuous blue glow around everything, and it flickers like a candle flame or like distant lightning. Shouts of alarm can now be heard not only from the tower interior and stairs, but also beginning to rise from the sprawling city below. The folk of the city have long been accustomed to their gentle nightlight when the moon is not in the night sky, and now it is behaving very strangely.

Alfred and Shayala continue to hasten downward, stepping over the limp and still open-eyed body of the priestess at a bend in the stairs. Near the bottom of the stairs they encounter a group of four panicked gnomes scrambling upward. All of the gnomes wear priestly robes. There is not enough room for them to pass each other. One of the gnomes shrieks: "Apostate!" Alfred has been recognized.

On the stairs below the tower, the rearmost rank of guards pause indecisively, uncertain whether to hurl Adrian from the steps or help the King regain them. Herlinde draws her sword in a smooth rasping motion and leaps down the steps past Adrian, her aged figure lithe in action. "There is no time to parley," she says firmly. "Flee, or die."
    Spoiler: OoC roll
    Show
    Deadeye Bounty Hunter with Good Manners pumped 1 v TN 10 - (5d6)[2][2][5][2][2](13)
    Mythistorical bundle

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sir Adrian moves swiftly, lunging with his shoulder forward as he pushes other guards away. Adrian looks king Bryce in the eyes, a single tear hidden by the visor as for a second he remembers the overconfident but largely innocent child who would go on to become this dangerous and tyrannical monarch. Then his armoured gauntlet descends, hurling the king into the open void below.

His sand duty done, he turns and once more draws cold steel to face the remnants of the gaurd force.

27. - Top - End - #57

The king plummets screaming. He ends with a surprisingly quiet thump.

Herlinde's abrupt action frightened three of the guards, who took her suggestion and fled down the stairs - they are about twenty yards away around the spiral. One person remains on the steps near Adrian and Herlinde. He is the same feather-adorned courtier who so efficiently finished Reggie's torture with a few thrusts of his rapier. Now he stands indecisively, rapier still sheathed, hand on the hilt, looking down the length of Herlinde's sword at her calm and wrinkled face.

"I challenge you," he says to Sir Adrian, "to knightly combat. You and me, unarmored, just swords, all the way down the steps or until one of us falls. He with the most wounds must yield to the other."

Show
    What are Shayala and Alfred doing? What should Herlinde do? How does Sir Adrian respond to this challenge?
    Mythistorical bundle

28. - Top - End - #58

Shayala

"Quickly! Stay behind me!"

Shayala motions to Alfred to follow her as she begins bull rush through the gnomes.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Adrian stares down at the Courtier, hand still on his long blade. Then he begins to speak, low and deliberate.
    Hmm...courtier or court jester or whatever your title may be tell me this. Of those men who sneak through a church in the middle of a city to hurl their for undefended from a place he thought secure, how many do you believe are valorous knights? Those so corrupt they stab men in the back and never look back, how many you think adhere to the rule of chivalry?

With that, Sir Adrian begins to shrug off his chest armour and throwing aside his greaves.

It seems you are a fortunate man indeed, though defender sets the rules in a challenge and thus I shall keep my helm.

With no further fanfare Sir Adrian positions his sword in front of him and holds his high ground waiting for an attack or an opening.

(4d6)[1][2][5][5](13)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Alfred shouts in response, "Apostasy is better than slavery," as he runs behind Shayala.
    Last edited by flyinglemur; 2019-11-06 at 05:02 PM.